• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

York Station Ticket Barriers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sir_Clagalot

A Grade II* station gets the barriers refused, yet Newcastle, apparently a Grade I listed building is getting them...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

paul1609

Established Member
I disagree - in my experience NXEC are appaling at gripping. I regularly travel from York and I find of all the TOCs that operate from there, NXEC is the one that will not bother to grip, particularly on a journey to Doncaster. Only a couple of weeks ago, I travelled all the way from King's Cross to York without a ticket check.

Yep Im with you on this one I reckon a Littlehampton to York ticket has a near 100% chance of being gripped by Southern and less than 50% chance of being gripped by NXEC.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
A Grade II* station gets the barriers refused, yet Newcastle, apparently a Grade I listed building is getting them...

As I've already pointed out both Brighton and Bristol Temple Meads both Grade 1 already have them, that is why I think York councils case will fail at arbritration.

I think its good that York doesnt have barriers because it is one of the few big stations left in the country without them. They would ruin the look of such a beautiful station. The absence of barriers means that it is possible to just go and watch the trains and not have to waste time getting a platform ticket.

philjo

Established Member
In addition to the aesthetics in the listed building, the proposed layout & positioning of the barriers wasn't very helpful:

left luggage facility would have been inside the barriers.
Gents toilets (on platform 3/4): inside barriers
Ladies toilets (on concourse near WHSmiths): outside barriers.
most main stations (e.g. leeds) have toilets both sides of the barriers
Not sure about the cycle racks currently accessed past the left luggage.

plus the footbridge connection to NRM would have barriers at the other end

Status
Not open for further replies.