• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Your Favourite County?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bertone

Cornwall is pretty awesome with varied and fantastically scenic / rugged coastlines both on the North and South West sides.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

alex397

Established Member
I would have said Kent a few years ago, but a lot of it is a building site and traffic jam with lots of grumpy people. It’s still a great place though, with lots of variety and good scenery especially in East Kent.

I would perhaps say Norfolk now, or just slightly further north Highland or Argyll & Bute

Gathursty

Established Member
Lancashire and Highland in particular Sutherland.

I was born in Lancashire and live equidistant from Liverpool, Manchester and Preston so am close to many exciting and historic places and diverse landscapes.

Sutherland is special to me as it reminds me of the first time I went North of Inverness and saw the proper untamed wilderness left in our country.

chorleyjeff

Yorkshire (specifically the West Riding) is obviously the best county, but there are a few that help keep us on our toes...
Personally I quite like Somerset having lived there in the past. Shropshire doesn't really get the attention it deserves.

The less said about Lancashire the better, though! ;)
The County Palatine as it was when it stretched from South Lakeland to Ashton U Lyne including Liverpool, Manchester,the Forest of Bowland and even Blackpool. Luckily my parents escaped from the West Riding - but still bought The Yorkshire Post 5 days a week.

trainmania100

Established Member
Devon is top of my list. Whilst Yorkshire is a nice place, I've seen far too many horror films to put me off living up there

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Cornwall is pretty awesome with varied and fantastically scenic / rugged coastlines both on the North and South West sides.

Although I’m from Devon and I absolutely love the place, Cornwall is an amazing county with coastal scenery to die for.
The whole of the southwest peninsula is fairly amazing though considering how much variety is crammed into such a small area.
I feel very lucky living down here and knowing the quiet bits.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I would have said Kent a few years ago, but a lot of it is a building site and traffic jam with lots of grumpy people. It’s still a great place though, with lots of variety and good scenery especially in East Kent.

I would perhaps say Norfolk now, or just slightly further north Highland or Argyll & Bute

I grew up in Kent for twenty years and didn't notice it so much, however going back over the years I've come to appreciate its charms much more. The bucolic countryside, Canterbury, lovely little villages like Lehman and Chatham, great coastal resorts like Folkestone and Deal.

My family keep threatening to move away, but I'm quite glad they haven't yet.

70014IronDuke

Established Member
I grew up in Kent for twenty years and didn't notice it so much, however going back over the years I've come to appreciate its charms much more. The bucolic countryside, Canterbury, lovely little villages like Lehman and Chatham, great coastal resorts like Folkestone and Deal.

Chatham? ! !!!!!
Do you mean Chartham?

Anyway, Chilham is far nicer. A real cut above the place down the road :)

Crawley Ben

Cornwall for me, have been going there since I was a child & never tire of going back.

Hope to move down there someday if circumstances allow that to happen.

Also have a soft sport for North Wales & North Yorkshire.

Ben

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Chatham? ! !!!!!
Do you mean Chartham?

Anyway, Chilham is far nicer. A real cut above the place down the road :)

Yes, i think auto-spell got me there.

Is Chillham the one on the hill with the castle and the nice pubs ? That was the one Im thinking of :)

Oh, and I forgot to mention the Romney Marsh, which is quite special !

alex397

Established Member

Yes, i think auto-spell got me there.

Is Chillham the one on the hill with the castle and the nice pubs ? That was the one Im thinking of :)

Oh, and I forgot to mention the Romney Marsh, which is quite special !
I think I was in a bad mood what I spoke about Kent above. There’s just been lots of things happening here which I’m finding quite frustrating. But ignoring that, there are some really great things here as mentioned above. And thanks for reminding me of the Romney Marsh - I really need to visit again (it’s not really that far from me).
Whilst there is a huge amount of development at the moment, there are still plenty of quiet or relaxing spots with fantastic scenery. Such as the Elham Valley, the coast around Thanet, and you can’t forget Dungeness.

And the village you are thinking of must be Chilham. Really pretty village, with the main square often used for filming.

RichJF

East Sussex closely followed by Dorset.

I love the rustic nature of both, but East Sussex is my neighbouring county & will always have fond memories (for many personal reasons) for me.

TheBigD

Established Member
Soft spot for Lincolnshire. Raised in South Kesteven so I may be biased but it's a vastly under rated country. A really diverse county, from the coastal resorts like Skegness, small market towns like Sleaford/Louth etc, University city of Lincoln itself and the industrial places like Scunthorpe, and the lovely countryside of the Wolds. And also the birthplace of one our country's greatest prime ministers.

There's the excellent Water Railway cycle route from Boston to Lincoln, a 65 mile/3.5hr mile round trip between the two. Though if you want hill practice you'll be a disappointed!

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
So difficult

Home county is North Yorkshire - which is so large and has bits of everything good. Two national parks, bisected by the lovely Vale of York, markedly different from one another. A series of beautiful small market towns like Richmond, Stokesley, or Malton. Great coast to enjoy with Whitby and Scarborough. I never appreciated it when I lived there.

Love Cornwall as do most people. My adopted county is Somerset and that is gorgeous.

For me, the underrated gem is Shropshire. The historic city of Shrewsbury is good for shopping and tourism. Then you head into the Marches and places like Ludlow - stunning little town. It has Much Wenlock - the birthplace of the modern Olympics. The views from Clee Hill, the Stiperstones, and the Long Mynd are breathtaking as you look across to Snowdonia or towards the West Midlands.

PeterY

Established Member
The north coast of Northern Ireland, County Antrim especially. Beautiful. :D :D

D6130

Established Member
Thinking of the historic (pre-1975) counties:

Scotland: Argyll (with most other counties coming second equal in one way or another).

England: Yorkshire West Riding (with Cornwall, Devon, Dorset, Hampshire, Shropshire, Derbyshire, Lancashire, Durham, Northumberland & Cumberland close behind).

Wales: Carmarthenshire (with Pembrokeshire, Cardiganshire, Merioneth, Caernarvonshire and Anglesey close behind).

Calthrop

Established Member
Soft spot for Lincolnshire. Raised in South Kesteven so I may be biased but it's a vastly under rated country. A really diverse county, from the coastal resorts like Skegness, small market towns like Sleaford/Louth etc, University city of Lincoln itself and the industrial places like Scunthorpe, and the lovely countryside of the Wolds. And also the birthplace of one our country's greatest prime ministers.

There's the excellent Water Railway cycle route from Boston to Lincoln, a 65 mile/3.5hr mile round trip between the two. Though if you want hill practice you'll be a disappointed!

Amen ! -- as per my post upthread. (The Prime Minister thing, I'll say -- matter of opinion...) The Boston -- Lincoln along-waterways cycle route: a great thing, though not one I'd engage in nowadays: as I've mentioned previously on these Forums, I dislike its birdy-referencing "Water Rail Way" title -- birds are great in their proper place; I just have a, probably "precious", dislike of corny puns -- for them as likes 'em, fine...

DanNCL

Established Member
Invernesshire. There's a lot of stunning scenery, and the people I've met there have all been fantastic.

C J Snarzell

Established Member
I have always had a soft spot for Derbyshire, particularly the northern end of the County around Buxton and the High Peak.

There is some of the most breath taking views in the Country and there are some awesome walks to be had during the summer months.

I also rate Chesterfield as being one of the few decent town centres left that doesn't look too badly affected by the economic downturn that has devasted many High Streets.

CJ

DerekC

Established Member
Of the counties I have lived in - North Yorkshire, Kent and now Hampshire stand out. And of the ones I have spent holiday time in - Northumberland is stunning and so is Norfolk in a completely different way. Dorset is fascinating. Hereford and Shropshire are relaxing. And don't forget Wales - I can't think of a Welsh county I wouldn't put on my list. Oh, and Scotland - Perthshire, Argyll and Inverness - just wow! The trouble is we are so spoiled for choice! As I place to live I couldn't be away from chalk hills and beechwoods so I will just stay here!!

Bertone

Went to Northumberland a couple of years back staying a few miles from Hadrian’s Wall.
Very impressed with the scenery, wild and desolate in places with more sheep than people in evidence.
Roads very quiet but it seems that most rabbits don’t follow the Highway Code with respect to crossing the road!
Bunny bodies in abundance.

Status
Not open for further replies.