• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

'Your next stop is?'

Status
Not open for further replies.

TOCDriver

Anybody noticed these signs that have sprung up at the stations between Bolton and Salford Crescent? According to Northern, they're passenger information, even though they are situated on the end of the platform and angled towards the driver. That's rubbish, but can anybody have a guess as to why they have been put there? A pat on the back for the first with the correct answer :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

gnolife

Established Member
Is it for the same reason as the sign at Bache about stopping at Capenhurst? IE drivers on the all stopper accidentally missing Kearsley or Moses Gate?

FGW_DID

Established Member
Been mentioned before on this forum, there are posters at Didcot reminding drivers "Are you stopping at Culham?" Introduced after a spate of Fail to Calls & Overshoots.

the sniper

Established Member
There's a sign at the end of Stratford Platform 10 stating: ROMFORD?

:)

Knowing the drivers at my TOC, if we had that I'm sure at least one would eventually jump out of their cab one night and write on it 'No thanks'... :lol:

TOCDriver

drivers forgetting to stop at stations?

Pat on the back! In the past couple of months, drivers not stopping at either Moses Gate, Farnworth, Kearsley and Clifton when they have been booked to, has rocketed. Must be the hot weather I suppose. Why Northern would lie about it is a puzzler.

Eagle

Established Member
Why Northern would lie about it is a puzzler.

Would you rather they said "yeah, those signs are because our drivers are a bit dopey and sometimes they don't remember which stations they're meant to stop at" though? I can't imagine that statement inspiring much public confidence in Northern. :P

TOCDriver

Would you rather they said "yeah, those signs are because our drivers are a bit dopey and sometimes they don't remember which stations they're meant to stop at" though? I can't imagine that statement inspiring much public confidence in Northern. :P

It's already rock bottom as it is!

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
Taffs Well and Treforest stations have an exclamation mark in a red triangle and "treforest estate" written below it for the same purpose.

455driver

Veteran Member
There are loads of these stupid signs springing up now.
We have one on the up slow approaching Clapham jn "warning W94 signal 355 yards ahead" or something like that, if the drivers dont know where the important signals are then they shouldnt be driving!

tsr

Established Member
Rumours that GA has installed signs on the Westbound platform at Brundall Gardens reading "Are you stopping before you get to the train in front?" are unfounded... :p

Last edited:

westcoaster

Established Member
We have one on the up slow approaching Clapham jn "warning W94 signal 355 yards ahead" or something like that, if the drivers dont know where the important signals are then they shouldnt be driving!

we've got then heading south out of luton airport parkway, as there is no starting signal and the next one is around a sharp right hand bend with no banner repeater either, all to help us remember. There's one leaving eastfields heading towards mithcham junction.

Darren R

Established Member

So how long do you reckon it'll be before you see a new sign going up: "Warning: warning sign 200 yards ahead"! :lol:

If there is a known issue that can easily be dealt with by putting up a simple sign it does make sense to do it - but if it goes too far then it's the same as it is with road signs, ie there's just so many that itself becomes a problem.

As for Northern drivers forgetting to stop at these stations - well Clifton I can understand since it only has a handful of calls these days, but Moses Gate and Farnworth? It's at least an hourly service!

455driver

Veteran Member
So how long do you reckon it'll be before you see a new sign going up: "Warning: warning sign 200 yards ahead"! :lol:

Please dont give them ideas! ;)

Surely if some stations are regular FTCs then just highlight them on the drivers schedules, either in bold or capitals, its quick, easy and cheap and only highlights the problem stations.
Our lot have done something similar with any alterations being highlighted in red, it sounds a good idea but of course they are using it for any alterations whatsoever, ie if the running times are altered by one minute then everything from there down is red which sort of defeats the object as anything important is lost in the sea of red.
Of course as all our depots schedules are printed on a laser printed (we are a satelite depot) it just comes out a faded black instead of red! :lol:

Last edited:

Darren R

Established Member
Our lot have done something similar with any alterations being highlighted in red, it sounds a good idea but of course they are using it for any alterations whatsoever, ie if the running times are altered by one minute then everything from there down is red which sort of defeats the object as anything important is lost in the sea of red.
Of course as all our depots schedules are printed on a laser printed (we are a satelite depot) it just comes out a faded black instead of red! :lol:

Ah yes - the miracles of modern technology! :D

BestWestern

Established Member
The problem with all of this sort of stuff is that after a while people will 'filter it out', as they do with most things which form part of a regular routine. This is why the DRA doesn't always stop SPADS, nor the AWS; it just becomes so routine that the meaning behind it doesn't register. These signs will perhaps have a short-term benefit, but in the end the incidents will still occur regardless. As far as station calls are concerned, there are quite often diagramming issues at play. Some services have such erratic stopping patterns that it is no wonder Drivers sometimes get it wrong. Rather than simple 'fast' and 'slow' services, there now seem on some routes to be a multitude of mix and match arrangements, which surely can only confuse things for both staff and passengers?!

I completely agree that there are too many of these spurious signs appearing all over the place now. As a Guard rather than a Driver they don't cause me any nuisance, but it is a concern to see. Signs here there and everywhere are really the last thing you need when trying to concentrate I'm sure, particularly when most of them seem to have been 'made up' by individual TOCs. We have signs telling Drivers to check signals, set the DRA, release the doors on the correct side, and now some more telling them where to stop. What next?!

Last edited:

Cherry_Picker

Established Member
The thing is that management have to be seen to be doing something, so you will see an increase in stuff like this. Personally it doesn't bother me.

Pumbaa

Established Member

It wouldn't be there if you lot remembered the signal existed in the place... :lol:

DavidL

New sign at Broad Green - Liverpool bound.
Certainly, I've been on a service that's failed to stop at Wavertree but I'm not sure that's statistically significant :)

gnolife

Established Member
New sign at Broad Green - Liverpool bound.
Certainly, I've been on a service that's failed to stop at Wavertree but I'm not sure that's statistically significant :)

That seems daft - doesn't everything that calls at Broad Green call at all shacks anyway, with the occasional exception of Edge Hill?

krus_aragon

Established Member

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you the inimitable Homer Simpson:

HomerSignAhead.png

TOCDriver

perhaps the drivers seat should give an electrical shock, employed by the guard, just before the next scheduled stop?

BestWestern

Established Member
perhaps the drivers seat should give an electrical shock, employed by the guard, just before the next scheduled stop?

To be vaguely serious for a moment, this is another reason why I always feel it is important for Guards to make announcements whenever possible on local stoppers; the Driver will hear it as well as the punters, and if he was about to go sailing through you might just give him enough warning to chuck the anchors in! A FTC occurred a couple of years back one sunday, the diagram had just that week changed to include a stop which was previously omitted on this particular service. The Driver, sadly, hadn't checked his schedule closely enough, and merrily went tanking straight through. I spoke to the Guard some time afterwards and wasn't at all surprised to hear that he had made no announcement. Of course, sometimes that is perfectly fair enough, if you're out there doing tix etc, there are times when you just can't get back to a PA to do it - just about the only advantage of Digital Doris! But it should always be done whenever it can be, and if it had happened in the case above then there just might have been one less incident. It isn't the Guard's job to drive the train, but where a 'crew' is provided it remains a team effort.

Last edited:

Darren R

Established Member
The Driver, sadly, hadn't checked his schedule closely enough, and merrily went tanking straight through. I spoke to the Guard some time afterwards and wasn't at all surprised to hear that he had made no announcement.

You're sure that the guard hadn't forgotten too? !:lol:

BestWestern

Established Member
Well, apparently not but it's always a possibility! We usually get away with it though, so long as the doors open eventually! :D

transmanche

Established Member
A bit like Microsoft's 'We share your pain' programme...? :D

[youtube]wrqoTnmoJRc[/youtube]

Status
Not open for further replies.