• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Zeppelins & Railways

Status
Not open for further replies.

Milan Petrovic

Can anyone on here help me please? I am writing a dissertation on Zeppelin attack, primarily Nottinghamshire and it surrounds. On 31Jan/Feb 1916 a bomb was dropped near to Bennerley Signal Box on the Notts/Derbys border, something like SK470437, adjacent the Bennerley Iron Lattice Viaduct, though there are no traces today.
Sometime in 1938, the LMS in-house magazine "On Time" featured a series of articles about signal boxes with a history. The NRM doesn't have any 1939 issues alas, but I think that this box was included sometime that year. Is there anyone out there with a copy that can confirm and scan the article for me please?
milan(dot)petrovic964(last three!)(at)btinternet(dot)com

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Taunton

Established Member
David L Smith's classic book "Tales of the Glasgow & South Western Railway" has an account of the night the raid occurred on Edinburgh, that the Zeppelins were heard overhead Dumfries, and signalmen passed messages to Control about them.

There were, in classic railway fashion, special bell codes in WW1 between signalboxes for enemy aircraft overhead, with different codes for "Aeroplane raid" and "Zeppelin raid".

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
You might want to contact the Great War Forum and ask if anyone there has any information on this.

If you want me to, I'll ask for you - please PM me with the words that you want me to use. Alternatively, if you can't send a PM, put the words on here and that will be fine.

Last edited:

Milan Petrovic

I have found what I think is a transcript of the article, which was originally printed in the Jan 39 issue. I was hoping for a photograph of the damage to appear. Oh well. Thanx Guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.