• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Special Offers Discussion

lyesbkz

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

No extra advantage for 16-25 railcard holders that I can see since the discount can't be used in combination with the student offer.

I need to correct myself on this since the TPE Sale allows the further discount on First Class Advances while the student offer does not.

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
It should show up in the eVoucher section. If it's not there you don't have it.

No, it's not there for me.

Looks like the whole offer was nothing more than a scam designed to harvest a few hundred email addresses for their mailing list.

Not happy. Suffice to say I won't be using a ripoff site like redspottedhanky for my ticket bookings in future.

Bungle73

On Moderation
No, it's not there for me.

Looks like the whole offer was nothing more than a scam designed to harvest a few hundred email addresses for their mailing list.

Not happy. Suffice to say I won't be using a ripoff site like redspottedhanky for my ticket bookings in future.

How was it a "scam"? You probably simply too late.

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
How was it a "scam"? You probably simply too late.

Surely a promotion which promises you a £10 e-voucher that doesn't meterialise is by its very nature a scam? They've got your personal details for their mailing list and have given nothing back in return!

And I know I was in time because the box to enter the webuser promo code was still there at the time. Once that vanished, presumably that would be when all 3,000 had been allocated.

Bungle73

On Moderation
Surely a promotion which promises you a £10 e-voucher that doesn't meterialise is by its very nature a scam? They've got your personal details for their mailing list and have given nothing back in return!

And I know I was in time because the box to enter the webuser promo code was still there at the time. Once that vanished, presumably that would be when all 3,000 had been allocated.
So, it's a "scam" just because YOU didn't get a voucher? I see.

How do you explain that I got one then? I guess I must be in on it.

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
So, it's a "scam" just because YOU didn't get a voucher? I see.

How do you explain that I got one then? I guess I must be in on it.

I don't intend to labour the point but no. It's a scam because they promise you £10 if you sign up to their website, so you give them your name, address, phone number etc. They can then use this to send you lots and lots of unwanted spam and possibly sell the list onto third parties. They then don't give you the £10 evoucher you were promised.

Regardless of who gets one and who doesn't it seems a shoddy way of treating new customers, particularly when the online ticketing market is so competitive.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Anyway, moving on, I was in Scotland over the weekend and saw that the Scotsman newspaper is running a "London for £12.50" promo in conjunction with East Coast.

http://www.scotsman.com/emarket/promotions/great-scottish-train-offer

I believe it's a token collect thing so you'd need to live in Scotland to take advantage as I don't think the paper is sold south of the border.

Apparently the link goes live tomorrow and can be found at www.thescotsman.com/savememoney

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
I think it's only from Leeds but the Yorkshire Evening Post have an offer with EC of £8 single to London and £10 to Edinburgh which involves collecting 4 tokens from the paper.

Bungle73

On Moderation
I don't intend to labour the point but no. It's a scam because they promise you £10 if you sign up to their website, so you give them your name, address, phone number etc. They can then use this to send you lots and lots of unwanted spam and possibly sell the list onto third parties. They then don't give you the £10 evoucher you were promised.

Regardless of who gets one and who doesn't it seems a shoddy way of treating new customers, particularly when the online ticketing market is so competitive.
[/url]

It clearly stated that there only 3000 available. The never promised that everyone that applied would get one.

extendedpaul

It clearly stated that there only 3000 available. The never promised that everyone that applied would get one.

I also did not get one. I was a bit doubtful when I registered as the promotion started more than 6 weeks before you posted the details.

I am wary of Redspottedhanky. I can't see how the commission they get on ticket sales can be sufficient to keep giving away tens of thousands of pounds in free travel and offering two or three times face value for Tesco Clubcard vouchers. I understand Tesco only reimburses £10 for a £10 voucher for which RSH has given up to £30 in rail travel.

Bungle73

On Moderation
I also did not get one. I was a bit doubtful when I registered as the promotion started more than 6 weeks before you posted the details.
It wasn't me that posted it. ;)

I am wary of Redspottedhanky. I can't see how the commission they get on ticket sales can be sufficient to keep giving away tens of thousands of pounds in free travel and offering two or three times face value for Tesco Clubcard vouchers. I understand Tesco only reimburses £10 for a £10 voucher for which RSH has given up to £30 in rail travel.
This has come up before on here. IIRC the conclusion was that there's nothing to worry about.

theblackwatch

Established Member

I registered on 30 Dec and got one. I never received a code via e-mail, but on checking my account, it is there (below Your Account on the left, eVoucher details is under favourite journeys).

lyesbkz

I posted this link regarding this only a few days ago on this very thread.

CaptainHaddock

Established Member

They're similar but there are variations in the availability depending on which paper it's in conjunction with.

For example the Yorkshire Post and Leeds Evening Post offers only allow you to book journeys up to 18/3/12 yet the Scotsman and Sunderland offers are valid till 30/3/12.

Yet in all cases, when you click through to get to the East Coast website the ticket type shows up as "EC Standard Class Promotion Single", with no mention of which paper's offer it is.

This begs the question of what would happen if you presented a "EC Standard Class Promotion Single" and a set of vouchers from the Yorkshire Post if you were travelling on Saturday 24 March, for example?

Established Member
This begs the question of what would happen if you presented a "EC Standard Class Promotion Single" and a set of vouchers from the Yorkshire Post if you were travelling on Saturday 24 March, for example?

This has cropped up before - the conductor can't possibly know which paper it is from. Also, even though it says you can only make one return journey, the conductor will also not know which leg of the journey you are on, so in effect you could make as many return journeys as you'd like.

Add to this the fact that the conductors do not normally ask for the tokens in the first place, EC might as well have this offer on to everywhere in the UK and not just the selected regions where the papers are published.

"Unless otherwise specified, the promotional discount is only valid on select journeys to/from London St Pancras International with East Midlands Trains"

Shame it's not valid for local journeys...

Is this confirmed only to St Pancras? I was thinking of a trip from Warrington Central over to Yorkshire

Wolfie

Established Member
Seen on moneysavingexpert.com

National Express East Anglia is selling 140,000 standard seats for £5 each way (kids £2.50) for off-peak trains on its intercity routes (where Advance tickets are normally available) including Norwich and Colchester to London.

They're bookable from Tues 3 - Fri 20 Jan '12 for travel Mon-Sat, Sat 21 Jan - Sat 14 Apr '12.

They're first come, first served.

Advance purchase singles from Norwich to London usually cost from £8; an Anytime Return costs £99.

http://www.nationalexpresseastanglia.com/

Hope its helpful to someone.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
T&Cs:

Book between 3rd and 20th January 2012 inclusive, for travel from 21st January and 14th April 2012 inclusive, and is only bookable up to 12 weeks in advance of travel. Offer not available on all Sundays due to engineering works, nor on Easter Bank Holiday weekend 6th to 9th April. 140,000 seats available at £5 on off-peak services to and from London (on Mondays to Fridays not leaving Norwich before 10:30 or leaving London Liverpool Street between 16:00 and 19:00 inclusive), as well as intermediate journeys where advance purchase tickets are normally available. Tickets are available on a first come, first served basis during the booking period only. Tickets are non refundable, and may only be used on the booked service. Offer is available online only. No Railcard discounts available. Must be booked at least 7 days in advance of outward travel.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Is this confirmed only to St Pancras? I was thinking of a trip from Warrington Central over to Yorkshire

If you try and book an invalid Origin-Destination combination on the special page, it will throw up an error and tell you that it is not valid.

I have only managed to get journeys to London to work.

F Great Eastern

Established Member
Seen on moneysavingexpert.com

National Express East Anglia is selling 140,000 standard seats for £5 each way (kids £2.50) for off-peak trains on its intercity routes (where Advance tickets are normally available) including Norwich and Colchester to London.

Just noticed and booked a few myself, am I cynical or are they doing this to milk as much money as they can before their franchise ends. Just very strange for them to run such offer, not seen the like before.

What happens to the revenue for travel dates post 5th February, do they get to keep it or does it go to new franchise holder. If the former then perhaps that is the motivation behind it, the money lost on discounts would be outweighed by the amount of money that they make on services post 5th February which would have no cost to NXEA as they're not running them.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
What happens to the revenue for travel dates post 5th February, do they get to keep it or does it go to new franchise holder. If the former then perhaps that is the motivation behind it, the money lost on discounts would be outweighed by the amount of money that they make on services post 5th February which would have no cost to NXEA as they're not running them.

I've wondered that - GNER did a great offer for £5 travel from Leeds to London which I bought several of - but all the travel dates were afer NXEC took over.

snail

Established Member

Have you asked them why you don't have a voucher? They are added to accounts manually and appear to not always work first time. Some people (cough) have in the past been given multiple vouchers - while others get none. Whingeing about scams without giving RSH the chance to respond seems harsh. Especially when you have signed up to the offer on the back of an indirect link on the internet, not a direct offer to you.

And before you ask, no I don't work for them. I've simply found them to offer a good service.

IanD

Established Member
London Midland's "The Great Escape" promotion is on again from 4-19th February. This time it's go anywhere for £15 (a staggering 50% up on last time!!) or £9.90 with a railcard. Can't find anything about it on the website yet, but is mentioned in a leaflet in tomorrow's Milton Keynes paper. Could be the 'all network rover' version which is probably still good value at £15 or could be the £15 single return trip version which is dearer than some of their most popular journeys (from MKC at least).

Attachments

• LM1.jpg
    LM1.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 65
  • LM2.jpg
    LM2.jpg
    217.5 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
London Midland's "The Great Escape" promotion is on again from 4-19th February. This time it's go anywhere for £15 (a staggering 50% up on last time!!) or £9.90 with a railcard. Can't find anything about it on the website yet, but is mentioned in a leaflet in tomorrow's Milton Keyne's paper. Could be the 'all network rover' version which is probably still good value at £15 or could be the £15 single return trip version which is dearer than some of their most popular journeys (from MKC at least).

Any updates on this offer? Cant see it advertised anywhere.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Posters up today at Jewellery Quarter advertising "The Great Escape" as set out above.

Urban Gateline

Established Member
Just a heads up that SWT will be doing another "Rainbow day" promotion soon. :)

4th Feb 2012 - Petersfield.

£10 per Adult and £5 per Child

For anyone who doesn't know what this is, basically you have to buy the ticket from Petersfield station, but it gives unlimited travel on the day on all SWT services and Island line.

All Line Rover

Established Member
More details about the Great Escape promotion can be found here: http://www.londonmidland.com/tickets-and-fares/great-escape/

The promotion runs from Saturday 4th February to Sunday 19th February.

The prices are as follows:
  • Adults: £15 Standard Class, £25 First Class
  • Children: £5 Standard Class, £10 First Class

NEW! Railcard discounts now also apply! :) The prices are as follows:
  • Adults: £9.90 Standard Class, £16.50 First Class
  • Children: £2 Standard Class, £4 First Class

The "normal" adult prices are more reasonable this time IMO, although it's actually cheaper for people who have a Railcard! ALL Railcard holders can get a discount on the First Class fare, and the normal time restriction for the 16-25 Railcard does not apply. :)

SS4

Established Member
More details about the Great Escape promotion can be found here: http://www.londonmidland.com/tickets-and-fares/great-escape/

The promotion runs from Saturday 4th February to Sunday 19th February.

The prices are as follows:
  • Adults: £15 Standard Class, £25 First Class
  • Children: £5 Standard Class, £10 First Class

NEW! Railcard discounts now also apply! :) The prices are as follows:
  • Adults: £9.90 Standard Class, £16.50 First Class
  • Children: £2 Standard Class, £4 First Class

The "normal" adult prices are more reasonable this time IMO, although it's actually cheaper for people who have a Railcard! ALL Railcard holders can get a discount on the First Class fare, and the normal time restriction for the 16-25 Railcard does not apply. :)

Pipped to the post! Do you know if you show your railcard when exchanging it to get the discount?