• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Manchester - Liverpool Electrification

Status
Not open for further replies.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Wasn't there a post on here over the Easter blockade that had a Lime St-Oxford Road stopper for a day or two instead of the Airport/Victoria services?
Not sure if it was electric though.
It's still a little odd that the Warrington BQ service has not seen 319s yet.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

In essence, there are a several unknowns here, notably:

1. when will ORR give the OK into Man Vic?
2. when will ORR give the OK along the Wigan Branch?
3. when will the right number of crew on the right lines be trained?
4. when will the right number of EMUs be available?
5. of the services which could use EMUs, which are getting priority?

I can answer some of your questions with a degree of certainty as I currently work with one of the electrification managers for Northern.

1. Not yet applied for. Hence the reason MCV will not be going live in May.
MENTOR and then a unit test over all lines needs to happen before ORR approval can be applied for.
2. Application submitted. Awaiting approval.
3. Lime Street training heavily advanced, Wigan and Vic men also going well. (The internal April rota/Link changes moved a lot of work internally in preparation for some lines going Electric in May.)
4. Enough units available for Wigan extension now. With regards to other lines it's still an unknown.
5. Wigan is the priority.

Thomas6187

Wasn't there a post on here over the Easter blockade that had a Lime St-Oxford Road stopper for a day or two instead of the Airport/Victoria services?

Two Chat Moss stopping service over Easter ran as a 319. The 08:00ish departure on Friday, and the 07:35 departure from Manchester Airport on Monday

LDECRexile

Established Member
I can answer some of your questions with a degree of certainty as I currently work with one of the electrification managers for Northern.

MENTOR and then a unit test over all lines needs to happen before ORR approval can be applied for.
2. Application submitted. Awaiting approval.
3. Lime Street training heavily advanced, Wigan and Vic men also going well. (The internal April rota/Link changes moved a lot of work internally in preparation for some lines going Electric in May.)
4. Enough units available for Wigan extension now. With regards to other lines it's still an unknown.
5. Wigan is the priority.

Superb, clear, solid information, warm thanks.

Dave
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Not sure if it was electric though.
It's still a little odd that the Warrington BQ service has not seen 319s yet.

I'd not noticed the temporary stopper, very welcome subsequent post has confirmed it was run by a 319 on some occasions.

Why is it odd that 319s haven't operated the Warrington BQ service?

Kind regards

Dave

Last edited:

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Why is it odd that 319s haven't operated the Warrington BQ service?

Well, I presume that the crews are mostly Lime St based and therefore trained on 319s.
They could have worked to Warrington and back in the long layover time of one of the "Airport" trains at Lime St.
I know it changed last week to reduce the layover.

Cotty

How long does ORR approval normally take? I recall that the Liverpool to MIA service was up and running only a week or two after test trains ran.

Please take this question in good faith I intend no criticism of those involved with regulation or the electrification project :)

snowball

Established Member
I was inclined not to attach too much weight to what the man at Earlestown said, but now we have it clearly.

Is this related to the signal sighting issues west of Victoria that were mentioned (before Christmas I think)?

Class 170101

Established Member
Surely May (or even before) is going to be critical?

319s going whether the current crewing capability will take them is surely going to be needed to firstly release 156s for TPE crew training from Northern and secondly to maintain services for both TPE and Northern post May timetable change.

samj

Am planning a week up North between 8-12 June. Will the 319s be used on any other routes except LIV-MIA then does anyone know? Thanks in advance.

LDECRexile

Established Member
Am planning a week up North between 8-12 June. Will the 319s be used on any other routes except LIV-MIA then does anyone know? Thanks in advance.

Please see post #4592 at the top of this page where the latest we have comes from the horse's mouth.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Picking up a topic way back up this or another thread, is it still planned to divert the TPE Scottish workings into MCV for a period, and if so when?

Bevan Price

Established Member
I hope they manage to get most Lime St. - Wigan / Man. Vic services worked by 319s before the 3 Cunard "Queen" liners visit Liverpool from 24 to 26 May. Previous experience during major events in Liverpool is that 2 car Pacers & Sprinters are totally indaequate.

WatcherZero

Established Member
That event was flagged up by Northern as something that will require extra capacity to be laid on when they made their plans for the year ahead last year.

nw-sparks

I hope they manage to get most Lime St. - Wigan / Man. Vic services worked by 319s before the 3 Cunard "Queen" liners visit Liverpool from 24 to 26 May. Previous experience during major events in Liverpool is that 2 car Pacers & Sprinters are totally indaequate.

And as if by magic, a number of additional services to St Helens and Earlestown on the Sunday and Monday appeared in the timetable this morning. They are timed for DMUs, but that doesn't prevent a 319 being used.

QueensCurve

Established Member
I think by Wigan he meant Liverpool to Wigan NW via Huyton and St Helens Central.

There are no current plans to electrify Wigan Wallgate station. This is assumed to be because of the low bridge carrying Wallgate (the A49 road after which the station is named). Bolton to Wigan will be electrified within 2 or 3 years but the wires will only connect to Wigan NW.

I can't help but think an opportunity has been lost to concentrate all services on Wigan North Western. The station entrances are after all just across the road from each other.

Unfortunately, the place were you would put the platforms for the Southport/Kirkby line is now occupied by the multi-story car park.

Concentrating all services on North Western wouldn't of course help with electrification, but might be both cost-saving and advantageous to passengers.

snowball

Established Member
I can't help but think an opportunity has been lost to concentrate all services on Wigan North Western. The station entrances are after all just across the road from each other.

Unfortunately, the place were you would put the platforms for the Southport/Kirkby line is now occupied by the multi-story car park.

I'm not very familiar with Wigan. I've been there a few times by road and once caught a train at North Western. Where is this car park, please?

DJH1971

Established Member

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member

Bevan Price

Established Member
And as if by magic, a number of additional services to St Helens and Earlestown on the Sunday and Monday appeared in the timetable this morning. They are timed for DMUs, but that doesn't prevent a 319 being used.
Unless we get another visit from the wiring team, those shown to terminate at St. Helens Central can only be dmu - the crossover is still unwired.

TOCDriver

Plenty of orange man action on the OHLE at Victoria today, I think this weekend will most certainly see it finished. Also we have some nice new LED signal heads at the west end and Manchester North SC is now closed/on the run down. So long Man North!

Yes, that wood hut will be missed. Those Signals will now be controlled by the Man North and Man Central Workstations at the ROC. Any idea as to the border limits of these two workstations, Geeves?

Last edited:

LDECRexile

Established Member

Geeves

Established Member
A few posters went up in the signing on point at Vic today but the "treated as live" date section is still covered for the time being.

Toc as far as I know the sections on each workstation mimic the old split on the NX Panel, one half controls to just beyond the Rocdale Road bridge and the second work station controls the depot and the various triangular junctions including the line down to Ashburys. I still get Man North Signaller west panel when I ring them up untill they remember where they now are :D:D

Last edited:

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Status
Not open for further replies.