• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Manchester - Liverpool Electrification

Status
Not open for further replies.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
What does that do?

The yellow 150 records track geometry and other features, but it doesn't have a pantograph and probably doesn't have anything to do with OLE monitoring. It is mainly used on regional routes where something like the New Measurement Train would be a bit of an overkill.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dunc108

I can't help but think an opportunity has been lost to concentrate all services on Wigan North Western. The station entrances are after all just across the road from each other.

Unfortunately, the place were you would put the platforms for the Southport/Kirkby line is now occupied by the multi-story car park.

Concentrating all services on North Western wouldn't of course help with electrification, but might be both cost-saving and advantageous to passengers.

Concentrating all services in Wigan at North Western would be a tricky one. I'd imagine any exchange platforms would need to be at the top of the incline that bypasses North Western but thats a long walk from the main concourse, not alot of fun in wet weather as its a very exposed station with minimal canopies. Lines to Southport and Kirkby would still need to pass through the site of Wallgate to gain access to the junctions so there is still the issue of the low tunnels if electrification ever penetrated towards Southport.

I've always thought its a shame Merseyrail couldn't extend to Wallgate and terminate in the Bay platform, it would give the Kirkby branch an upgrade and release a DMU or two for other uses at the same time

LDECRexile

Established Member
The yellow 150 records track geometry and other features, but it doesn't have a pantograph and probably doesn't have anything to do with OLE monitoring. It is mainly used on regional routes where something like the New Measurement Train would be a bit of an overkill.

Interesting and informative, thank you.

LeylandLen

I hope they manage to get most Lime St. - Wigan / Man. Vic services worked by 319s before the 3 Cunard "Queen" liners visit Liverpool from 24 to 26 May. Previous experience during major events in Liverpool is that 2 car Pacers & Sprinters are totally indaequate.

Will there be a seperate thread for this event ?

8A Rail

Established Member
Hopefully if 319's run to Liverpool over the Cunard thing that can mean Strengthened Services to Newcastle for Magic Weekend
I'm not sure that 40000/50000 people per day at the 2 day Magic weekend, will be the same as say 500,000 (may be more) for the Three "Queens" Day somehow. However, I understand your concerns never the less, and hopefully NR try to do something.

Hopefully if 319's run to Liverpool over the Cunard thing that can mean Strengthened Services to Newcastle for Magic Weekend
Do remember that lots of the teams are coming from the North West so they'll need stronger services and that lots of teams come from West Yorkshire so they'll need strengthened service too. If your suggesting that Newton Heath and Allerton units will be sent to Newcastle, honestly I can't see it happening but we'll have to see where everything ends up.

BantamMenace

Do remember that lots of the teams are coming from the North West so they'll need stronger services and that lots of teams come from West Yorkshire so they'll need strengthened service too. If your suggesting that Newton Heath and Allerton units will be sent to Newcastle, honestly I can't see it happening but we'll have to see where everything ends up.

Agreed, it's TPE and XC that need to be concerned with service strengthening.

lancastrian

I've always thought its a shame Merseyrail couldn't extend to Wallgate and terminate in the Bay platform, it would give the Kirkby branch an upgrade and release a DMU or two for other uses at the same time

I agree, I have always thought that this would be certainly the best way of serving the stations between Liverpool & Wigan. The artificial gap between services at Kirkby is just plain daft, as is Ormskirk.

What is needed is joined up thinking and a proper plan for all the rail services in the North of England. But that would require some one in Government to actually have the nerve to think longer term than the next election. Don't hold your breath.

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
I agree, I have always thought that this would be certainly the best way of serving the stations between Liverpool & Wigan. The artificial gap between services at Kirkby is just plain daft, as is Ormskirk.

What is needed is joined up thinking and a proper plan for all the rail services in the North of England. But that would require some one in Government to actually have the nerve to think longer term than the next election. Don't hold your breath.

One of Britain's greatest weaknesses IMHO. :(

Bevan Price

Established Member

I don't disagree, but the problem, as often, is money. On the Preston line, Merseytravel is not likely to want to spend money to improve services outside its area; Rufford & Croston are too small to encourage West Lancashire Council to provide most of the costs of electrification. Moreover, with the possible prospect of 2 trains per hour between Lime St. & Preston, one maybe taking only about 45 - 50 minutes, this would likely be faster than an all stations service via Ormskirk. 3rd rail eventually reaching Burscough is possibly the best that we can expect.

On the Kirkby / Wigan line, neither Rainford nor Upholland stations are close to the nearest centres of population; Orrell & Pemberton have good bus services to Wigan. Therefore, in the present financial climate, I don't see Greater Manchester wanting to contribute much towards any scheme that improves services to / from Liverpool.

Gen is first 319 Liverpool - Wigan service will be 0600 LIV - WGN and 0703 WGN -LIV return this Saturday.
The unit will then form the 0816 LIV- MIA and work that circuit for the rest of the day.

It's a start folks!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Hmm, I was going to do a Merseyrail shack attack on Monday, I think I shall have to keep an eye on things over the rest of the week! I could be changing my mind and going for 319s instead!

DJH1971

Established Member
Gen is first 319 Liverpool - Wigan service will be 0600 LIV - WGN and 0703 WGN -LIV return this Saturday.
The unit will then form the 0816 LIV- MIA and work that circuit for the rest of the day.

It's a start folks!

And I take it this could mean Saturday services between Liverpool to Manchester Airport will commence too?

The way I read things there are 2 x 319s coming off the shed.
One for the 0600 WGN and one for the 0616 MIA.

So that's two diagrams covered by 319s all day Saturday.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
looks like the rumors could have some truth that earlestown is to be closed

What rumours?
Closures are not on the agenda anywhere in Northern-land for the next franchise.
Earlestown has a greater footfall than most stations on the line, better than Wavertree Technology Park for instance.
The weakest stations on the Chat Moss route are Patricroft and Eccles.

DJH1971

Established Member
What rumours?
Closures are not on the agenda anywhere in Northern-land for the next franchise.
Earlestown has a greater footfall than most stations on the line, better than Wavertree Technology Park for instance.

Yes do tell us.

Heard absolutely nothing about this.

Peter Gl

What rumours?

My nearest station is Patricroft and Eccles my second nearest, but I think with every body being encouraged to be green and use public transport, I don't think closure of rail stations is politically viable these days. (Maybe more in hope than actual belief!!)

Pete

Last edited:

geoffk

Established Member
Eccles has a poor service for the size of the town. Two an hour must be a minimum if patronage is to be increased.

Peter Gl

Eccles has a poor service for the size of the town. Two an hour must be a minimum if patronage is to be increased.

I think what doesn't help is, Eccles is the last station before Victoria and Patricroft the second last, in the morning rush hours the trains are rammed when they arrive at those stations, not particularly encouraging.

But I also accept that situation is the same for most, if not all, Manchester suburban stations.

Pete

Status
Not open for further replies.