• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Manchester - Liverpool Electrification

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Billyblue

Just been along the Huyton footpath and noticed the inward bound AT cable is in place from Huyton J through to Roby
All that's now left is to make good the missing plaster in the public subway wall. Maybe the patches of brickwork have been left exposed to check for damp etc?

Wigan,United Kingdon and Kingswood Nsw, Australia
Someone said Wavertree has a low footfall on page 310 but it might have an even lower footfall as most people buy Wavertree tickets if using the Kirkby and City lines in the same trip as it's a nice little loophole for nights out in Liverpool and using both lines and being able to get back to Wigan i use it from Orrell and i either get out at Garswood or Wigan and Taxi or Bus if in Wigan i know a few friends are using the loophole tomorrow

Wavertreelad

What rumours?
Closures are not on the agenda anywhere in Northern-land for the next franchise.
Earlestown has a greater footfall than most stations on the line, better than Wavertree Technology Park for instance.
The weakest stations on the Chat Moss route are Patricroft and Eccles.

Both stations have almost consistent growth in passenger numbers in the last ten years with Wavertree catching up on Earlestown as these figures from Wiki show.

Wavertree Technology Park
Annual rail passenger usage
2004/05 0.129 million
2005/06 0.167 million
2006/07 0.188 million
2007/08 0.205 million
2008/09 0.338 million
2009/10 0.328 million
2010/11 0.369 million
2011/12 0.367 million
2012/13 0.342 million
2013/14 0.468 million

Earlestown
2004/05 0.220 million
2005/06 0.219 million
2006/07 0.218 million
2007/08 0.226 million
2008/09 0.395 million
2009/10 0.394 million
2010/11 0.418 million
2011/12 0.444 million
2012/13 0.424 million
2013/14 0.485 million

Wiki acknowledges the statistics are from
"Annual estimated passenger usage based on sales of tickets in stated financial year(s) which end or originate at Wavertree or Earlestown from Office of Rail Regulation statistics." Methodology may vary year on year.

The numbers at both stations could probably be significantly more if those travelling on passes and Merseytravel travel products were measured, whilst another issue could be ticketless travel. However, another problem at Wavertree is the lack of car parking facilities resulting in some passengers leaving their cars parked on local roads all day and in some cases all week. From recent personal experience as an example I noticed the 0721 Manchester Airport service appeared to have attracted and extra 10 to 15% percent more passengers in two years and that's before the full effects of the electric service become apparent.

Billyblue

Both stations have almost consistent growth in passenger numbers in the last ten years with Wavertree catching up on Earlestown as these figures from Wiki show.

Wavertree Technology Park
2004/05 0.129 million
2005/06 0.167 million
2006/07 0.188 million
2007/08 0.205 million
2008/09 0.338 million
2009/10 0.328 million
2010/11 0.369 million
2011/12 0.367 million
2012/13 0.342 million
2013/14 0.468 million

Earlestown
2004/05 0.220 million
2005/06 0.219 million
2006/07 0.218 million
2007/08 0.226 million
2008/09 0.395 million
2009/10 0.394 million
2010/11 0.418 million
2011/12 0.444 million
2012/13 0.424 million
2013/14 0.485 million

Wiki acknowledges the statistics are from
"Annual estimated passenger usage based on sales of tickets in stated financial year(s) which end or originate at Wavertree or Earlestown from Office of Rail Regulation statistics." Methodology may vary year on year.

The numbers at both stations could probably be significantly more if those travelling on passes and Merseytravel travel products were measured, whilst another issue could be ticketless travel. However, another problem at Wavertree is the lack of car parking facilities resulting in some passengers leaving their cars parked on local roads all day and in some cases all week. From recent personal experience as an example I noticed the 0721 Manchester Airport service appeared to have attracted and extra 10 to 15% percent more passengers in two years and that's before the full effects of the electric service become apparent.

I've always wondered how on earth they estimate/calculate free passes. I frequently use mine between Huyton-Lime Street and the only check, apart from the odd guard who bothers, is a cursory glance at the Lime Street exit.
Similarly on the Merseyrail network. You can scan an exit gate with the card (presumably recorded) or just flash the card as you walk through an open gate.
I suspect the numbers, on both systems, are hopelesly underestimated.

Wavertreelad

I've always wondered how on earth they estimate/calculate free passes. I frequently use mine between Huyton-Lime Street and the only check, apart from the odd guard who bothers, is a cursory glance at the Lime Street exit.
Similarly on the Merseyrail network. You can scan an exit gate with the card (presumably recorded) or just flash the card as you walk through an open gate.
I suspect the numbers, on both systems, are hopelesly underestimated.

Totally agree, and it's likely to get worse as more the number of people reaching 60 who are able to claim their travel pass increases all the time.

The ticketless travel may of course be solved by the use of the 319's as there will be little excuse for the guard not to check tickets.

Loop & Link

Wasn't cancelled it ran, and the 319 is now on the 0816 Airport.

EDIT: The 319 didn't work to Wigan due to OHL issues at Huyton

Last edited:

Cotty

I thought they'd tested the Liverpool to Wigan line a few weeks ago!

Is the problem at Huyton affecting the Liv to MIA run or is a 319 working a diagram on chat moss today?

AM9

Veteran Member
Totally agree, and it's likely to get worse as more the number of people reaching 60 who are able to claim their travel pass increases all the time.

The ticketless travel may of course be solved by the use of the 319's as there will be little excuse for the guard not to check tickets.

Yes I went on 319363 last week with LDECRExile, (Dave) and it was strange to be on a 319 and asked not only to show my ticket but also my Senior Railcard. In 20 over years of 319 travel on Thameslink, I doubt that I've seen ticket inspection more than a dozen times. Virtually all station exits down here are gated of course.
The use of London Travelcards with railcard discounts is extensive amongst non-season ticket bearers down here and if the NW electrification expands passenger volumes I imagine that the bit in between the Liverpool and Manchester PTE areas (e.g. Newton le Willows to Patricroft if I read the maps right) may someday be included as part of the discount or even the concession system.

Wavertreelad

Yes I went on 319363 last week with LDECRExile, (Dave) and it was strange to be on a 319 and asked not only to show my ticket but also my Senior Railcard. In 20 over years of 319 travel on Thameslink, I doubt that I've seen ticket inspection more than a dozen times. Virtually all station exits down here are gated of course.
The use of London Travelcards with railcard discounts is extensive amongst non-season ticket bearers down here and if the NW electrification expands passenger volumes I imagine that the bit in between the Liverpool and Manchester PTE areas (e.g. Newton le Willows to Patricroft if I read the maps right) may someday be included as part of the discount or even the concession system..

I was on a packed Lime Street - Victoria morning peak train the other week which had one guard operating the doors and announcements whilst another fought their way down the train collecting fairs and checking tickets. I heard of a similar incident yesterday.

I seem to recall reading recently that there could well be interchange of PTE travel passes between the two PTE areas eventually when Rail North takes control of the local network. I stand corrected if this is not the case.

PDG1949

.....And there we were at Central and Ravenhead Greenway.... (Paul [plus another St. Helens photographer, Rob]and Dave respectively ). We understood from one of the drivers that he'd got as far as Huyton.

Interesting story from one of the station staff - apparently when they first started putting in the masts at Ince Moss they started sinking. Goes to show that just like humans, masts have problems with piles....

Llama

Established Member
OHLE from Ordsall Lane to Manchester Victoria is to be made live tomorrow.

Plans for the first 319 on test into Manchester Victoria are pencilled in for next Sunday (26th). Likelihood of visit by test coach Mentor etc very soon.

LDECRexile

Established Member
OHLE from Ordsall Lane to Manchester Victoria is to be made live tomorrow.

Plans for the first 319 on test into Manchester Victoria are pencilled in for next Sunday (26th). Likelihood of visit by test coach Mentor etc very soon.

Thank you for these facts and tip. Much appreciated.

WatcherZero

Established Member
Why are they currently turning the power off at Allerton during the daytime meaning units cant enter or leave under their own power during normal timetables?

Class 170101

Established Member
Daytime maintenance of OLE at Allerton Depot?

Aren't they electrifying more sidings at Allerton at the moment as well?

8A Rail

Established Member
Daytime maintenance of OLE at Allerton Depot?
Aren't they electrifying more sidings at Allerton at the moment as well?
They are as far as I am aware, electrifying 3 roads inside the shed at the moment (nearest to the sidings). When you pass the depot, you can see work is being carried out on those roads.

WatcherZero

Established Member
Wernt some already electrified but with a temporary solution? Surprised if their replacing it so soon.

LDECRexile

Established Member
Does anyone know which (if any) Wigan services are set to use 319s today (Monday) or Wednesday?

Thanks in anticipation.

Dave

Geeves

Established Member
No 319s on the Wigan jobs as far as I can see LDEC. Looks to be 156s on the Wigan NW trips

319361 and 365 are out on the usual Airport turns today.

Status
Not open for further replies.