• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Manchester - Liverpool Electrification

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LDECRexile

Established Member
No 319s on the Wigan jobs as far as I can see LDEC. Looks to be 156s on the Wigan NW trips

319361 and 365 are out on the usual Airport turns today.

Thank you and thanks to Loop & Link.

I asked a driver at Lime St today. He said much the same, except that he added that 'they may be tried on Saturdays, like they did last week, but there were problems with the wiring.'

Dave

DJH1971

Established Member
Won't be long, there 319's booked on Saturdays and Sunday's (Sunday's on Airport's only) from May barring anything going wrong, so will be worth the wait.

Ther have actually started this Saturday gone.

I was on the 17:13 from Liverpool Lime Street, of which did 319361 did thre honours.

Class 170101

Established Member
Have Pendolinos being used for OLE power testing between Wigan and Preston via St Helen's Central yet?

LDECRexile

Established Member
MPV?

My personal valet?
Moldovan Peach Vendor?
Mardy Petulant Vicar?
Mid-pendular velocity?
Member of Parliament Vacancy?

All right, go on then, gizz a clue.

nw-sparks

Yep, it looked like a 'Florida Special' [tamper] through SHJ just before 2200 (10 min early). certainly not a MENTOR retest.

I'm fairly sure it was an MPV (Multi Purpose Vehicle) as I said yesterday, and not a tamper. There would be little point in a tamper doing a grand tour of this sort.

LDECRexile

Established Member
Multi-Purpose Vehicle, as the name implies it does all sorts of random odd jobs round the network.

Fab, thanks.

The excellent Wikipedia article you have kindly linked to gives another clue as to the possible main purpose of last night's circumnavigation of northern nooks and crannies, ie:

'Double-ended single-unit MPV number DR98008 is used by the Network Rail Asset Information department as a track geometry and video train.[6] In the Manchester area the unit is allowed to operate permissively throughout all station areas, replacing a large number of walked inspections.[6]'

Does anyone know if that was the unit used?

edwin_m

Veteran Member
It's effectively a pair of container flats with a diesel engine underneath one and a cab each end. Various "modules" can be carried for tasks such as de-leafing, de-icing, etc.

nw-sparks

Fab, thanks.

The excellent Wikipedia article you have kindly linked to gives another clue as to the possible main purpose of last night's circumnavigation of northern nooks and crannies, ie:

'Double-ended single-unit MPV number DR98008 is used by the Network Rail Asset Information department as a track geometry and video train.[6] In the Manchester area the unit is allowed to operate permissively throughout all station areas, replacing a large number of walked inspections.[6]'

Does anyone know if that was the unit used?

I'm fairly sure (But not 100%) it was a standard double unit. It looked like this, with two pods/tanks.
Code:
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:DR_98965_at_Lincoln_01.JPG

Last edited:

LDECRexile

Established Member
I understand work this weekend will include:

1. OHLE work in the Huyton area (AT??)
2. Wiring and electrics work between Ordsall and Man Vic
3. Significant work at Allerton Depot

Has anyone any idea which Wigan Branch service may be 319-ed this weekend?

Status
Not open for further replies.