• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

175s getting Dellner couplers rather than just Scharfenbergs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

anamyd

On Moderation
My friend told me that his friend said that the 175s will be getting the same couplers as the 197s, and that 175113 has already been fitted with them.

If I have this right, that means that the Scharfenberg couplers on the 175s are being replaced with the Dellner couplers that the 197s have.

Also, if I have this right, Dellner couplers are based on Scharfenberg couplers and are mechanically the same, but have extra electrical stuff in them.

Could this change be for ECS, rescue, things like that? I don't believe 175s and 197s would be able to work together in passenger service, even with the coupler change, because of TMS differences and things like that.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SuperLuke2334

Established Member
My friend told me that his friend said that the 175s will be getting the same couplers as the 197s, and that 175113 has already been fitted with them.

If I have this right, that means that the Scharfenberg couplers on the 175s are being replaced with the Dellner couplers that the 197s have.

Also, if I have this right, Dellner couplers are based on Scharfenberg couplers and are mechanically the same, but have extra electrical stuff in them.

Could this change be for ECS, rescue, things like that? I don't believe 175s and 197s would be able to work together in passenger service, even with the coupler change, because of TMS differences and things like that.
I shall see 113 later today when it passes my local, so I shall try and remember to find out for you.

Caaardiff

Seems a completely pointless exercise given that they will only be working alongside each other for less than a year.

XAM2175

Established Member
They use the same mechanical principle, but have numerous different configurations of electrical connections. There's no one Scharfenberg "standard", and no one standard pattern for where the electrical contacts go in relation to the coupler itself.

fgwrich

Established Member
Seems a completely pointless exercise given that they will only be working alongside each other for less than a year.

Not entirely pointless. With the scarcity of BSI couplers around, and growing use of Dellners, changing the couplings on the 175 fleet may make them more attractive to a potential lessor in the future. A little thing, but an increase in the rolling stock comparability stakes.

On Moderation
Not entirely pointless. With the scarcity of BSI couplers around, and growing use of Dellners, changing the couplings on the 175 fleet may make them more attractive to a potential lessor in the future. A little thing, but an increase in the rolling stock comparability stakes.
BSI couplers is a red herring for the 175 fleet: they’ve never had them.

Vanmanyo

The 175s are expected to go to Chiltern as stated in theit franchise agreement. So this seems useless unless it would allow compatibility with 168s or 165s. I'm not good on couplers so I'm not sure what the 168s or 165s have!

SuperLuke2334

Established Member
175113 is right next to me right now and can confirm the couplers are still the same.

The 175s are expected to go to Chiltern as stated in theit franchise agreement. So this seems useless unless it would allow compatibility with 168s or 165s. I'm not good on couplers so I'm not sure what the 168s or 165s have!
165s 168s have BSI couplings.

Attachments

• 20221122_135421.jpg
    20221122_135421.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 118

Vanmanyo

175113 is right next to me right now and can confirm the couplers are still the same.

165s 168s have BSI couplings.
Ah thanks, so is this a myth about the couplers? Clearly you are a TFW local so do you think they will go to Chiltern when they leave? Has anyone said?

skyhigh

Established Member
The 175s are expected to go to Chiltern as stated in theit franchise agreement.
That isn't explicitly stated. From memory, the document you're referring to says something along the lines of "any class 165 or 175 present in the fleet" should have been upgraded. It doesn't say 175s are definitely going there, and any 'franchise agreements' are long since superseded.

Found it:
Nope.

What the source for that actually says is:

All that says is that *if* Chiltern have any Class 175 units, then they shall fit them with HyDrive. It suggests that 175s are an option, but nothing more.

Chiltern Railway Company Limited 2021: business plan commitments said:
39.4 Subject to the Secretary of State providing his approval and funding being made available, commencing from [REDACT , the Operator shall introduce a HyDrive fleet fitment programme in respect of all the Class 165 units comprised in the Train Fleet and, any Class 175 units which are part of the Train Fleet as at that date.

Vanmanyo

That isn't explicitly stated. From memory, the document you're referring to says something along the lines of "any class 165 or 175 present in the fleet" should have been upgraded. It doesn't say 175s are definitely going there, and any 'franchise agreements' are long since superseded.
1669126448219.png
You actually remembered it pretty well tbf. This was in their latest agreement in December 21. There has been strong speculation, but wholly speculation, from staff that I've spoken to that some will go to Chiltern.

Found it:
Sorry I didn't actually realise you sent that before I found it myself haha

DanNCL

Established Member
Scharfenberg is a type of coupler. Dellner is a manufacturer that produces Scharfenberg couplers - other manufacturers such as Wabtec also produce Scharfenberg couplers.

All Scharfenbergs regardless of manufacturer should be mechanically compatible, although height differences mean this isn’t always the case in practice. Additionally, couplers with a top electrical connection and a guide horn can’t mechanically connect to a coupler with a bottom electrical connection unless the electrical connection on the latter coupler is retracted.

Vanmanyo

Scharfenberg is a type of coupler. Dellner is a manufacturer that produces Scharfenberg couplers - other manufacturers such as Wabtec also produce Scharfenberg couplers.

All Scharfenbergs regardless of manufacturer should be mechanically compatible, although height differences mean this isn’t always the case in practice. Additionally, couplers with a top electrical connection and a guide horn can’t mechanically connect to a coupler with a bottom electrical connection unless the electrical connection on the latter coupler is retracted.
Ah thank you. Is Dellner a large manufacturer of couplers then?

SuperLuke2334

Established Member
Ah thanks, so is this a myth about the couplers? Clearly you are a TFW local so do you think they will go to Chiltern when they leave? Has anyone said?
Nobody knows anything, it's purely rumour where they're going. I shan't fill up this thread with speculation, as there's a 25 page thread in the speculative discussion section which has covered pretty much everything. I don't have an opinion either personally.

dgl

Established Member
Admittedly if the old Sprinter stock was going to be around for years to come then fitting schafenberg couplers to them all would probably be a sensible idea, but it would take time to do and you'd have the problem if some trains being upgraded and some not, with the potential problem of having two trains joining each other and the couplers being different.

On Moderation
Admittedly if the old Sprinter stock was going to be around for years to come then fitting schafenberg couplers to them all would probably be a sensible idea, but it would take time to do and you'd have the problem if some trains being upgraded and some not, with the potential problem of having two trains joining each other and the couplers being different.
ScotRail managed to convert the Class 334 fleet from Tightlock to Scharfenburg, so it can be done.

Status
Not open for further replies.