• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

2022 Conservative Leadership Election - Liz Truss chosen as party leader (and subsequent reshuffle)

Who should be the next Conservative leader?

• Kemi Badenoch - now eliminated

Votes: 27 11.3%
  • Suella Braverman - now eliminated

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • Jeremy Hunt - now eliminated

Votes: 10 4.2%
  • Penny Mordaunt - now eliminated

Votes: 44 18.3%
  • Rishi Sunak

Votes: 62 25.8%
  • Liz Truss

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Tom Tugendhat - now eliminated

Votes: 54 22.5%
  • Nadhim Zahawi - now eliminated

Votes: 2 0.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
According to Christopher Hope on Twitter:

“I am picking up pressure tonight from ERG sources for Suella Braverman, Liz Truss and Kemi Badenoch to merge campaigns and blow Rishi Sunak and Penny Mordaunt out of the water.”

DarloRich

Veteran Member

“I am picking up pressure tonight from ERG sources for Suella Braverman, Liz Truss and Kemi Badenoch to merge campaigns and blow Rishi Sunak and Penny Mordaunt out of the water.”
so that must mean Braverman & Badenoch withdrawing and endorsing Truss.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
One might think so, in return for senior cabinet posts.
I can't see why something so obviously cynical need be considered, instead of waiting until tomorrow when at least one of Braverman and Badenoch will have been eliminated. Both the political commentators whose judgment I trust best are certain that if Truss's name is one of those that the membership get given to choose between, she will be anointed. I'm getting the cyanide pills in readiness.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Badenoch seems to be more interested in telling private american companies like Ben and Jerrys what to do rather than any real issues facing the British public

that would be Ben & Jerry’s, a brand of Unilever, a British company with headquarters in London?

any candidate that required Ben & Jerry’s to reduce the price of their Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough ice cream wins my vote!

TwoYellas

Who needs GoT when you have the Tories!

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
I can't see why something so obviously cynical need be considered, instead of waiting until tomorrow when at least one of Braverman and Badenoch will have been eliminated. Both the political commentators whose judgment I trust best are certain that if Truss's name is one of those that the membership get given to choose between, she will be anointed. I'm getting the cyanide pills in readiness.

it seems reasonably likely that whichever of Truss or Morduant goes up against Sunak in the final reckoning will get the keys to No10.

(and Trident)

(and yes, I know the PM doesn‘t really have the keys to either)

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
I don't trust him either. I would go to the point that I think anyone who has ever been in Boris's Cabinet for his entire tenure should be disqualified as they are complicit in his lies and dishonour.
I would like to hear you express that view of "implicit in his lies and dishonour" in a Court of Law where you would have to submit factual evidence to back up such a statement and to be subject to cross-examination on the lies and dishonour of a third party.

WatcherZero

Established Member
Surprising news, arch-brexiteer Villiers has come out in favour of Sunak saying hes a tax cutter and the candidate with the best chance of winning the next election.

Rules for tomorrow just announced, no minimum cut-off only the lowest placed candidate will be eliminated. Expectation was of a bar between 40-50 in place to narrow the candidates down quicker, this change gives the small campaigns a real chance as they might not get 40/50 but might beat another small rival.

Class 466

Established Member
Surprising news, arch-brexiteer Villiers has come out in favour of Sunak saying hes a tax cutter and the candidate with the best chance of winning the next election.

Rules for tomorrow just announced, no minimum cut-off only the lowest placed candidate will be eliminated. Expectation was of a bar between 40-50 in place to narrow the candidates down quicker, this change gives the small campaigns a real chance as they might not get 40/50 but might beat another small rival.
Rishi Sunak's ability to reach out to the wider public is exactly the same as Ed Milliband.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
i think it is interesting that the Johnson party has moved so far right that Hunt, the runner up last time and a tory centre ground candidate , is eliminated first time around.

XAM2175

Established Member
I would like to hear you express that view of "implicit in his lies and dishonour" in a Court of Law where you would have to submit factual evidence to back up such a statement and to be subject to cross-examination on the lies and dishonour of a third party.
Out come the rose-tinted welding goggles!

(and noting the fact that a trial wouldn't work that way)

GS250

It is not "the wider public" who will need to be targetted when the final nationwide vote is cast, just that of the membership of the Conservative Party.
Yes.... but public perception will come into play when it comes to picking a new leader. After all, they need to be able to win an election not just a leadership contest.

Sunak would get a hung parliament at best. He'd struggle in the 'red wall' zone.

brad465

Established Member
It is not "the wider public" who will need to be targetted when the final nationwide vote is cast, just that of the membership of the Conservative Party.
In this leadership contest, yes. But at the next General election, they will have to target the wider public, whose views do not align as strongly to one particular party's membership. Their ability to reach out in an election will be a key deciding factor for a number of votes in this contest.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

I think it would be very easy to defend the statement "Boris Johnson is a dishonourable liar" in a Court and not be charged with libel. There is plenty of evidence available of his perpetual lies, and a liar is dishonourable by definition.

As far as I am concerned, anyone in the Cabinet was complicit (not implicit) by virtue of working with him in Government. They resigned recently, which is good, but should have done so long, long ago.

GS250

In this leadership contest, yes. But at the next General election, they will have to target the wider public, whose views do not align as strongly to one particular party's membership. Their ability to reach out in an election will be a key deciding factor for a number of votes in this contest.

This is where Labour's suddenly expanded membership got it so badly wrong when they picked Jeremy. They chose someone who they adored but failed to actually consider whether those outside of the Momentum nouveau elite would find them palatable.

For me, like her or not, Mordaunt will be the one chosen by the membership.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
We are discussing the leadership contest on this particular thread that was set up by the website staff. The long-running thread has been temporarily been locked by the website staff.

That is why your mention of the wider public whose views do not align to one particular party is meaningless, as they will have no input whatsoever in the final vote of the Conservative Party membership.

brad465

Established Member
This is where Labour's suddenly expanded membership got it so badly wrong when they picked Jeremy. They chose someone who they adored but failed to actually consider whether those outside of the Momentum nouveau elite would find them palatable.

For me, like her or not, Mordaunt will be the one chosen by the membership.
There were rumours a number of Tory supporters got membership just to vote for Corbyn for an easy opponent (paying £3 for a one off vote is a stupid idea). I think this is true, although maybe not to the point it was the only reason he was chosen. The Tory membership rules are a bit stricter, requiring 3+ months of membership to be able to vote, which makes sabotage harder.
We are discussing the leadership contest on this particular thread that was set up by the website staff. The long-running thread has been temporarily been locked by the website staff.

That is why your mention of the wider public whose views do not align to one particular party is meaningless, as they will have no input whatsoever in the final vote of the Conservative Party membership.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
There were rumours a number of Tory supporters got membership just to vote for Corbyn for an easy opponent (paying £3 for a one off vote is a stupid idea). I think this is true, although maybe not to the point it was the only reason he was chosen.

oh it’s definitely true.

WatcherZero

Established Member
There were rumours a number of Tory supporters got membership just to vote for Corbyn for an easy opponent (paying £3 for a one off vote is a stupid idea). I think this is true, although maybe not to the point it was the only reason he was chosen. The Tory membership rules are a bit stricter, requiring 3+ months of membership to be able to vote, which makes sabotage harder.

The £3 voting only membership was brought in by Corbyns cronies in the NEC to help him become leader by signing up loads of Momentum supporters on the cheap, im sure a few Conservatives were happy to avail themselves of it too.

SynthD

For this election and the one where we realise we’re a democracy, candidate likability takes a backseat while the right wing media tell us who is acceptable. Sunak might be the most telegenic but he’s ‘wrong’ on tax, Truss’s well known gaffes can be ignored as ancient history, etc. I wonder if we will see them swing back to centre for the membership vote, or only once they are PM.

I hope it’s not Mordant, as she’s the best of the bunch, and she didn’t maintain her pro trans position when it was attacked.

jfollows

Established Member
I would now say that anyone betting now would put money on Penny Mordaunt to win in a run-off against Rishi Sunak.
One thing which I like about this result which I read is that a large number of her supporters are back-bench MPs, we could see a wholesale clearout of the front benches when she's in charge, which seems no bad thing to me, a lot of the current government is tainted in my view (and others) by their enabling Boris Johnson for so long.
But a week is a long time .....

nw1

Established Member
so that must mean Braverman & Badenoch withdrawing and endorsing Truss.

Hence my observation in the other thread that Truss reminds me of a cross between Thatcher and Johnson. She appears to have both the hardline economic policies of the former ("Britannia Unchained") and the populist-right Brexiter credentials of the latter - although unlike Johnson she might actually believe it (not sure, this is just a presumption).

In other words, the worst of all worlds. A complete nightmare as a PM should she win. I hope Starmer and Labour will have the good sense to dig "Britannia Unchained" up out of the archives and tear her to pieces; that publication appeared to suggest British workers were good for nothing skivers. Wouldn't sit well in the Red Wall, I suspect.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I do wonder which one is going to be least of a problem for the railway and railway passengers.

Certainly Sunak hasn't covered himself in glory as chancellor, but the others all seem to be more wedded to tax cuts.

Whoever wins we're likely to get a lot of free market flannel, although to his credit, Tugenhat has a good record of asking pertinent questions of who the countries companies and assets are being flogged to.

Status
Not open for further replies.