• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

2023 Israel - Hamas war

DerekC

Established Member
Today the UN Security Council is once again to be asked to pass a motion calling for a ceasefire. This time I hope the US won't veto it:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/l...08a7f5b9268595#block-657fd6e58f08a7f5b9268595

The UN security council is to be asked to support a new call for an urgent and sustainable cessation of hostilities that allows the delivery of humanitarian aid by land sea and air.

The resolution places pressure on the US not to protect Israel again by using its veto as one of the five permanent members of the 15-member security council.

The draft, now in its third version, follows the large UN general assembly vote last Tuesday backing a ceasefire by 153 to 10 with 23 abstentions. The US has twice vetoed security council resolutions calling for humanitarian pauses, most recently on 9 December when the UK abstained. The US said the resolution was unbalanced.

The latest resolution contains no explicit criticism of Hamas, an absence that has caused the US to vote against ceasefire or pause resolutions in the past. But it calls for the immediate and unconditional release of all hostages as well as humanitarian access.

It also condemns all violations of humanitarian law, including indiscriminate attacks on civilians and civilian objects, all violence and hostilities against civilians and all acts of terrorism.

The terrorism reference is designed to overcome US and UK objections. Arab diplomats hope the scale of the general assembly vote and the depth of the unfolding humanitarian crisis will persuade the US at least not to veto the resolution.

The call for a sustainable ceasefire is designed to attract British support since at the weekend the UK foreign secretary, David Cameron, in a joint article with his German counterpart, Annalena Baerbock, he had called for a “sustainable ceasefire”.

But Lord Cameron defined “sustainable” as one in which Hamas could no longer pose a military threat to Israel. The article said Israel in its self-defence had a right to eliminate Hamas.

At the same time, the article said too many civilians had been killed. Cameron will meet Arab leaders in Kuwait on Monday.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

nw1

Established Member
I do find the US government's behaviour on this matter completely embarrassing. And the UK government too, which too often seems to want to be the US government's lapdog in anything involving the Middle East.

It's telling that France, Switzerland and Japan, amongst a host of other places, all voted for a ceasefire last time. If them, why not us?

Last edited:

brad465

Established Member
I do find the US government's behaviour on this matter completely embarrassing. And the UK government too, which too often seems to want to be the US government's lapdog in anything involving the Middle East.

It's telling that France, Switzerland and Japan, amongst a host of other places, all voted for a ceasefire last time. If them, why not us?
Israel is a de facto US colony, and yes the UK tend to suck up to them. However changing demographics and a more aware world is making the old positions increasingly unsustainable, hence a gradual change of tune from the US and today Ben Wallace has said Israel are going too far.

Israel is far from a US colony. It doesn't really bring much useful really to the United States and just makes it job maintaining relations with the Arab countries much harder and very expensive (like the bribe they pay Egypt not to attack it). It's just , for various reasons, USA has a large domestic population of fanatic Zionists, most of whom aren't Jewish

Typhoon

Established Member
Israel is a de facto US colony, and yes the UK tend to suck up to them. However changing demographics and a more aware world is making the old positions increasingly unsustainable, hence a gradual change of tune from the US and today Ben Wallace has said Israel are going too far.
The Ben Wallace intervention shows what a serious loss he is to front line politics, I hope he is given a suitable position in the next year or two.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/wallace-warns-netanyahu-over-killing-rage-in-gaza/ar-AA1lF4qi

If the Israeli government seriously thinks their current actions will lead to peace, they are mistaken. This action may lead to a period of inaction, but the child who has lost their home, their mother and/ or father, their brother(s) and/ or sister(s), their uncle(s) and/ or aunt(s), their cousins, their friends will not be blaming Hamas.

I have no answer and, from the current situation, I don't see one short of the unthinkable. I don't know if serious attempts are currently being made to strongly urge restraint, if there are, they are not working.

Edit:

Credit where credit is due, the chair of the Foreign Affairs Select Committee has spoken out:
Israel has "gone beyond self-defence" and lost the moral authority in its war with Hamas, the chair of the Commons foreign affairs committee has said. Tory MP Alicia Kearns told the BBC she thinks Israel has broken international law and risks increasing support for Hamas among Palestinians.
She said: "Bombs don't obliterate an ideology and neither can a stable state be constructed from oblivion."
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-67745408

Last edited:

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
Sunak and Starmer finally calling for a ceasefire is a bit late that horse bolted along time ago they knew exactly what Israel was capable of when they endorsed action.

Sunak and Starmer finally calling for a ceasefire is a bit late that horse bolted along time ago they knew exactly what Israel was capable of when they endorsed action.
Wouldn't be surprised if Biden/Sunak heard reports from CIA/MI6 who heard whispers from Israel that they think they have gave Gaza a bloody enough nose and are planning on going home soon, and now trying to preempt them to look like they done something.

That or the Suez being blocked off by the houthis have spooked them

brad465

Established Member
Wouldn't be surprised if Biden/Sunak heard reports from CIA/MI6 who heard whispers from Israel that they think they have gave Gaza a bloody enough nose and are planning on going home soon, and now trying to preempt them to look like they done something.

That or the Suez being blocked off by the houthis have spooked them
There'll be a part of it, but also Israel forces killing 3 Israeli hostages by mistake has not helped their own reputation at home either.

Typhoon

Established Member
There'll be a part of it, but also Israel forces killing 3 Israeli hostages by mistake has not helped their own reputation at home either.
Killing hostages who were carrying a white flag with writing in Hebrew. Would the same fate happen to Palestinians who emerged carrying a flag of surrender, I wonder? And would we hear about it?

Of course, this isn't the first conflict in which the same sort of thing happens but is a reminder, perhaps, of how easily lives are lost in times of conflict. I give thanks that I was too late ed WWII, Korea and National Service (and far too old for any event to come). We put an awful lot of responsibility on young lives.

brad465

Established Member
Looks like we'll soon be getting US and UK air strikes being launched against Houthi rebel targets in response to their attacks on shipping that have been going on since the latest Gaza conflict started:

UK Prime Minister Rishi Sunak is due to brief his cabinet shortly about the the likelihood of British and US military strikes against the Houthis in Yemen.

The PM will hold a conference call with the cabinet tonight, and other senior Westminster figures not in government are expecting to be briefed shortly after.

UK Defence Secretary Grant Shapps said yesterday that the world should “watch this space” when asked about western strikes against Houthi targets.

A briefing at the Pentagon in Washington is also getting under way.

The Iran-backed Houthi rebels have been targeting Israeli-owned or Israel-bound vessels to show their support for the Iran-backed Palestinian group Hamas since the start of the war in Gaza in October.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Looks like we'll soon be getting US and UK air strikes being launched against Houthi rebel targets in response to their attacks on shipping that have been going on since the latest Gaza conflict started:

Not looking too good in the polls? Let's go to war - that'll sort it. :rolleyes:

It'd be better if the UK and US leadership focussed their efforts on persuading Netanyahu to stop his murdering, which is the reason why the Houthis are attacking shipping in the first place.

Peterthegreat

Established Member
Not looking too good in the polls? Let's go to war - that'll sort it. :rolleyes:

It'd be better if the UK and US leadership focussed their efforts on persuading Netanyahu to stop his murdering, which is the reason why the Houthis are attacking shipping in the first place.
Agree 100%.

davews

And horrible developments this morning. Why on earth do we always get involved with these USA led campaigns as if we are the best in the world.

Gaz67

And horrible developments this morning. Why on earth do we always get involved with these USA led campaigns as if we are the best in the world.
Well you probably typed this on a phone or laptop that have passed through suez, watched the news on a TV that passed through suez, drank a cup of tea with hot water from a kettle that passed through suez....get my drift. While the USA and UK provided the air assets in this operation lots of other countries were involved including Australia and Canada. I agree that in the past some of our interventions in the Middle East have been misguided ,however this action to preserve the shipping lanes we all rely on is well justified.

Loppylugs

So are you perfectly happy to let USA do this alone ? You don't want to pay extra for all your goods that would have to be shipped miles away to avoid conflict I assume.
The Houthis are a bunch of Iranian backed thugs who are attacking any kind of shipping, not just Israeli bound. Iran is quite content to supply them with money, food and weaponry and let them do their dirty work for them to de-stabilise the West, as they do with Hamas and Hezbollah. Add on the fact that Iran also supplies Putin with weaponry to murder Ukrainians and you have the real culprits here, albeit everything done by proxy for them.

davews

But why on earth is dropping a few bombs ever the right answer to anything. The haste at which this was done with no chance of even parliament saying anything is disgusting.

Bantamzen

Established Member
Well you probably typed this on a phone or laptop that have passed through suez, watched the news on a TV that passed through suez, drank a cup of tea with hot water from a kettle that passed through suez....get my drift. While the USA and UK provided the air assets in this operation lots of other countries were involved including Australia and Canada. I agree that in the past some of our interventions in the Middle East have been misguided ,however this action to preserve the shipping lanes we all rely on is well justified.
Unfortunately the Suez route is so strategically important that the actions of the the Houthi can't be ignored. Any extended period of disruption will cost economies, i.e. us, in the west so much that it cannot be allowed to happen. I don't particularly like it, and frankly am expecting reprisals at some point, but even though they have got issues with Israel's action in Gaza this does not mean they get to hold world economies up on the basis that boats may, or may not have a "connection" to Israel.

geoffk

Established Member
Remember this is an election year and remember that the Falklands War revived Margaret Thatcher's fortunes in 1982, when she too was behind in the polls. She went on to win with a large majority the following year. Having said that, if British ships are being attacked then the UK is within its rights to retaliate, especially as this is part of a proxy war between Iran and the west.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
The reason the Houthis are attacking shipping is because they are an Iranian proxy and the Iranians want to cause bother. The excuse is Gaza. These attacks have been going on sporadically long BEFORE the current crisis? It has been going on since 2019 in this area and longer in other areas.

Just this week a Greek owned, Marshall Island flagged tanker hired to a Turkish company and crewed by Filipinos was hijacked at gun point and sailed to Iran because 25% of the owning company is owned by an Israeli. Is Gaza an acceptable excuse for that? I am not sure it is.
because one of our destroyers, in international waters, was fired upon. That is the bottom line. As soon as I saw the media reports earlier this week I knew we would have to retaliate.

That is before we think about the piracy aspect of all of this. The RN are there to keep the sea lanes open. They are doing so lawfully. They have bene attacked and a tanker hijacked just this week.
The haste at which this was done with no chance of even parliament saying anything is disgusting.
Parliament doesn't have to be involved. We don't need a vote in parliament to undertake military action. It is a prerogative power held by the crown ( and exercised by the PM in the name of the crown). Our ship was attacked. Responding in this manner is self defence.

Anyway, we cant, really, bomb Iran who are behind all of this so we have to target thier proxies. The USA cant bomb Iran either for fear of sparking a wider conflict.

Remember this is an election year and remember that the Falklands War revived Margaret Thatcher's fortunes in 1982, when she too was behind in the polls. She went on to win with a large majority the following year
there is a bit of a difference between sending 4 typhoons to bomb an airfield and liberating British citizens on the Falkland islands from a right wing dictatorship! ;)

( the 2 RN ships in the area were not involved in these attacks mainly as I don't think they carry cruise missiles!)

nw1

Established Member

Yes, it always seems to be the case that the UK government wants to be the US military's lapdog.

If a whole range of western countries were getting involved, that might be different, but I'm sick to the back teeth of the UK getting involved in US military campaigns when other western countries do not.

It just gives the UK a more militaristic image, and likely makes us more of a target for terrorism.

And wasn't the huge backlash against the Iraq war evidence that the population of the UK do not, in fact, want an overly-close relationship with the US military?

And I find it ironic that so many people go on about how Brexit is wonderful because of "sovereignty". Funny how a lot of these right-wing Brexit supporters don't think the same about an over-close relationship with the USA's military. ;)

So are you perfectly happy to let USA do this alone ? You don't want to pay extra for all your goods that would have to be shipped miles away to avoid conflict I assume.
The Houthis are a bunch of Iranian backed thugs who are attacking any kind of shipping, not just Israeli bound. Iran is quite content to supply them with money, food and weaponry and let them do their dirty work for them to de-stabilise the West, as they do with Hamas and Hezbollah. Add on the fact that Iran also supplies Putin with weaponry to murder Ukrainians and you have the real culprits here, albeit everything done by proxy for them.
So why is the UK the only western country getting involved? I find it very suspicious and very disturbing when the UK helps the US military but other western countries do not. It's a clear sign, to me, that the UK is doing the wrong thing.

Remember this is an election year and remember that the Falklands War revived Margaret Thatcher's fortunes in 1982, when she too was behind in the polls. She went on to win with a large majority the following year. Having said that, if British ships are being attacked then the UK is within its rights to retaliate, especially as this is part of a proxy war between Iran and the west.

It is a bit different though, as the Falklands is UK-owned so that conflict could easily be seen as the UK protecting its people which is a big motivator for people to enthusiastically support the conflict.

Bit different here. Also Sunak is nothing like as charismatic as Thatcher (and while I am no fan of Thatcher, I will admit to her being charismatic).

Last edited:

brad465

Established Member
As well as the points made above about liberating UK territory, Russia invading Ukraine and subsequent UK support didn't do much to help Boris Johnson. Polls narrowed a bit but Labour maintained a lead and Johnson still got ousted just 5 months after the invasion began.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
If a whole range of western countries were getting involved, that might be different, but I'm sick to the back teeth of the UK getting involved in US campaigns when other western countries do not.
there is multi national involvement that even a brief look at the BBC website would have exposed. Netherlands, Australia, Canada and Bahrain provided support as part of the bombing action.

The current "operation Prosperity Guardian" is a multi national force including the might of the Sri Lankan navy. it is at an early stage of mobilisation but apparently Danish and Greek warships are en route as we speak with Dutch ships expected thereafter. The pervious "Operation Ocean Shield" was a NATO and multi national commitment including ships from India, South Korea, China, Japan and Columbia. India was the second largest contributor to that effort. Before that we had Operation Allied Protector that was a NATO maritime force with limited US or UK involvement.

Is your question really why are only the US and UK firing things? We have bombed 2 locations with 4 jets. We did so because our ship was attacked.

It just gives the UK a more militaristic image, and likely makes us more of a target for terrorism.
What should we do when one of our ships is attacked while in international waters undertaking internationally recognised "freedom of the sea" activities? They are there to ensure cargo ships ( civilian cargo ships) are able to sail unmolested in international waters. They aren't there to invade anyone or protect Israel or attack Gaza or any such nonsense.

I find it ironic people cant seem to grasp this.

nw1

Established Member
As well as the points made above about liberating UK territory, Russia invading Ukraine and subsequent UK support didn't do much to help Boris Johnson. Polls narrowed a bit but Labour maintained a lead and Johnson still got ousted just 5 months after the invasion began.

Is the 2003 Iraq war in fact perhaps the best comparator? Same part of the world and same kind of risks with getting involved. Rather than Thatcher, maybe Sunak will emulate Blair in this case in terms of popularity.
Is your question really why are only the US and UK firing things? We have bombed 2 locations with 4 jets. We did so because our ship was attacked.
Basically yes. It just seems funny to me that it's just the US and UK (where have I seen that combination before? Smells very 2003) but I'll reserve judgment on that.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Basically yes. It just seems funny to me that it's just the US and UK but I'll reserve judgment on that.
It is hopefully a one off punitive strike that limits the reoccurrence of attacks on shipping - as I said above as soon as it became clear that an RN ship had been targeted a response was unavoidable. I think the response to date is proportionate.

I would also ask who else MIGHT be able to get involved at short notice. We are barely involved! We haven't, for instance, sent one of our aircraft carriers to the region.

nw1

Established Member

Perhaps the issue there is that the West does not manufacture enough of its own products. Something as basic as a kettle could surely be manufactured in the UK, or if that really wasn't possible, continental Europe or the USA.

Or, would it be viable to do more imports via air? Aeroplanes can of course more easily divert away from conflict areas.

Last edited:

Bluejays

there is multi national involvement that even a brief look at the BBC website would have exposed. Netherlands, Australia, Canada and Bahrain provided support as part of the bombing action.

The current "operation Prosperity Guardian" is a multi national force including the might of the Sri Lankan navy. it is at an early stage of mobilisation but apparently Danish and Greek warships are en route as we speak with Dutch ships expected thereafter. The pervious "Operation Ocean Shield" was a NATO and multi national commitment including ships from India, South Korea, China, Japan and Columbia. India was the second largest contributor to that effort. Before that we had Operation Allied Protector that was a NATO maritime force with limited US or UK involvement.

What should we do when one of our ships is attacked while in international waters undertaking internationally recognised "freedom of the sea" activities? They are there to ensure cargo ships ( civilian cargo ships) are able to sail unmolested in international waters. They aren't there to invade anyone or protect Israel or attack Gaza or any such nonsense.

I find it ironic people cant seem to grasp this.
Whatever 'we' did would be wrong for some people. While I struggle to understand the 'rule Britannia ' mob who glorify war. I also struggle to understand the mental gymnastics used by some in situations like this, where clear retaliation is treated as if it's the starting provocation. As you say, what is the response supposed to be when missiles are being fired at commercial shipping.

JamesT

Established Member
Basically yes. It just seems funny to me that it's just the US and UK (where have I seen that combination before? Smells very 2003) but I'll reserve judgment on that.
It's not just those two countries:
Biden earlier said: “Today, at my direction, US military forces – together with the United Kingdom and with support from Australia, Bahrain, Canada and the Netherlands – successfully conducted strikes against a number of targets in Yemen used by Houthi rebels to endanger freedom of navigation in one of the world’s most vital waterways.”
(From https://www.theguardian.com/austral...ralia-military-support-yemen-airstrikes-us-uk )