• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

313 Railtour?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

prod_pep

Established Member
My hotel was a bit dear, but it is what it is!
Brighton's hotels are often extortionate in my experience, hence my staying in Eastbourne where the hotels are much more reasonable. Nicer place than Brighton too, which is a bonus.

Coaches A-C will be 313201 with a bit of luck; if I'm on 213, I'll be moving.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Brighton's hotels are often extortionate in my experience, hence my staying in Eastbourne where the hotels are much more reasonable. Nicer place than Brighton too, which is a bonus.

Join the club at staying in Eastbourne, at least on the Friday night.
Brighton is one of those places which is expensive at the best of times. I think when I looked the cheapest was a large 12/16bed hostel room for something like £60, a guaranteed way not to get a decent night sleep.

Deepgreen

Established Member
For sure it won't be exceeding that :lol:
Indeed - it'll be interesting to see what it can achieve on the long sections. I recall being on the returning 12EPB Brighton bike ride specials and getting to 81mph on one run - not normally achieved in suburban conditions!

Herefordian

They can be, for sure. I really like the LGBT scene though.

I paid £220 for three nights in a guest house a couple of minutes from the beach.

Didn't think that was too bad by Brighton standards. Still, not cheap!

Deepgreen

Established Member
Certainly speeds past on the ECS to selhurst, guess it needs to keep up with the fast Victorias. But they are limited to 75
Are they physically limited to 75mph or could they exceed that, say, downhill? In other words, do the brakes apply at 76mph? Balancing speeds can be breached in the right conditions - as per my note about the 12EPBs running back from Brighton - their balancing speed was 75mph too, but slightly over 80 was not unusual on those runs. It's not important, I'm just curious (and amused by the optimism of RTT's 100mph max!).

On Moderation
Are they physically limited to 75mph or could they exceed that, say, downhill? In other words, do the brakes apply at 76mph? Balancing speeds can be breached in the right conditions - as per my note about the 12EPBs running back from Brighton - their balancing speed was 75mph too, but slightly over 80 was not unusual on those runs. It's not important, I'm just curious (and amused by the optimism of RTT's 100mph max!).
EPBs didn't have data recorders with random downloads. And on a railtour where there will be plenty monitoring speeds with apps on their phones, a driver isn't going to want to go over.

Deepgreen

Established Member
EPBs didn't have data recorders with random downloads. And on a railtour where there will be plenty monitoring speeds with apps on their phones, a driver isn't going to want to go over.
Interesting - I am aware that over-speeding in relation to the speed limit on the section of line concerned is monitored, but is an individual traction type's supposed maximum speed monitored (as long as it is within the speed limit)? Steam in the UK has a maximum of 75mph, with a little leeway which often sees it at 77/78mph, but I hadn't realised that 'modern' traction was monitored as long as no line overspeeding occurred. So, in this case, if the 313s hit, say, 78 in a 90 zone, would that be considered a problem?

On Moderation
Interesting - I am aware that over-speeding in relation to the speed limit on the section of line concerned is monitored, but is an individual traction type's supposed maximum speed monitored (as long as it is within the speed limit)? Steam in the UK has a maximum of 75mph, with a little leeway which often sees it at 77/78mph, but I hadn't realised that 'modern' traction was monitored as long as no line overspeeding occurred. So, in this case, if the 313s hit, say, 78 in a 90 zone, would that be considered a problem?
In simplistic terms the monitoring is on the basis of the lower of line speed and traction maximum speed. What the response is would depend on how the driver reacted to the overspeed, how often it happened etc.

Fincra5

Established Member
They've reached over that before...

Evvy73

I managed to catch a short clip of it heading northwards through Wivelsfield earlier today. The driver was clearly enjoying playing with the horn! :lol:

Deepgreen

Established Member
I managed to catch a short clip of it heading northwards through Wivelsfield earlier today. The driver was clearly enjoying playing with the horn! :lol:
Nice to see good weather for this. I nearly went to Balcombe Viaduct for it but didn't bother in the end. What are the rules about horns sounded from rear cabs (if any?).

prod_pep

Established Member
Well, what a fantastic day out that was. I really cannot thank all involved enough for making it a memorable day. Superb route and excellent service throughout.

Some mutterings on the tour that this was 313201's last act as it is out of miles. A shame if true as it deserved the honour of last passenger service. If the NRM don't go for this unit, I really, really hope someone else does. An historic unit in so many ways and it rode brilliantly today. Who cares if it doesn't have a pantograph?

Was on the railtour myself. Was a good railtour overall. Was able to get off earlier which turned out to be a blessing in disguise as i headed back on the Marshlink service departing eastbourne at 17:49, however the train suffered a technical fault midway towards Rye and all passengers where asked to depart at Rye. No onward transport and a 1hr delay to catch the next train. If i had stayed on the tour i should of got the 20:49 which should of been the same train meaning i would not got home until 23:10. Delay repay request has been put in.

Deepgreen

Established Member
Albeit with smartphones, modern health and safety signage, and a TOC liveried unit.
Indeed - only a bit of a time-slip!

Well, what a fantastic day out that was. I really cannot thank all involved enough for making it a memorable day. Superb route and excellent service throughout.

Some mutterings on the tour that this was 313201's last act as it is out of miles. A shame if true as it deserved the honour of last passenger service. If the NRM don't go for this unit, I really, really hope someone else does. An historic unit in so many ways and it rode brilliantly today. Who cares if it doesn't have a pantograph?
I agree it should be saved but the collective opinion seems to be that it will go for scrap. NRM are not interested and there isn't known to be a private buyer in the wings. RTT may have it as an STP working under tow (the last lot were taken by a 37) to scrap up the BML soon - who knows? I imagine they won't want them cluttering up Lovers Walk for any longer than necessary.

Last edited:

Babybirdrobin

Well, they could do Dalston - Highbury & Islington and Richmond - Acton Central.......

How is the line through Primrose Hill from the Watford DC services to the NLL electrified now - used to be 3rd rail, is it now OHL ?
According to Train Sim Classic, the line through Primrose Hill still has Third Rail but has had OHLE added

Status
Not open for further replies.