• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

49€ Ticket to come and worry about slashing rail services

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

rvdborgt

Does DB allow GB IBANs or do they practice IBAN discrimination?
They've already been forced by the court to allow IBANs from other countries for direct debit, following a CJEU answer to a prejudicial question. I haven't tried a UK IBAN but not long after that ruling, I could use my Belgian IBAN to book DB tickets. By the way that ruling also forced OV-chipkaart to accept non-Dutch IBANs for automatic top-up via direct debit.
So does that mean most UK based people on this thread will have to open a new account to get the ticket?
Possibly. But there are multiple free accounts. And a credit card should also work in some places. The Deutschlandticket is offered by many transport (and other) companies.
E.g. here (Deutschlandcard):
Or here (MVV):
Both seem to use a mobile app. There are probably others.
There's also at least one company where bus drivers sell the Deutschlandticket for cash...

urpert

Essendine or between Étaples and Rang-du-Fliers
Does DB allow GB IBANs or do they practice IBAN discrimination?

So does that mean most UK based people on this thread will have to open a new account to get the ticket?
Quite possibly. I opened the account so I could keep using my SANEF télépéage tag (which now requires a SEPA direct debit unless you sign up for the more expensive version aimed at visitors from the UK).

Seehof

Surely you should be able to use a credit card? Why is the ticketing so complex in Germany?!

Last edited:

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Surely you should be able to use a credit card? Why is the ticketing so complex in Germany?!
I had a refund from DB after delays on the journey, and had to supply an IBAN so it could be paid into my UK bank account.
There wasn't an option for refunding the credit card I had used for the original purchase, which is what you would normally expect.

Last edited:

johncrossley

Established Member

Card use in Germany, even online, is much less popular than in the UK. Payments methods like SOFORT and Giropay and direct debits are typical in Germany for online transactions whereas most online transactions in the UK use debit and credit card numbers.

zero

I had a refund from DB after delays on the journey, and had to supply an IBAN so it could be paid into my UK bank account.
There wasn't an option for refunding the credit card I had used for the original purchase, which is what you would normally expect.

But that's more like delay repay compensation, not a refund for a cancellation, and not even all GB TOCs will pay that to a card (was discussed on another thread in the past month) so would you really normally expect it?

Fragezeichnen

As has been done to death in this thread, German Residents are the target market of this season ticket, not you.

The standard ATM card used in Germany in the Girocard, which does not support online payments. Many Germans do not have any card which can be used for online payments. All German webshops support, as a minimum, payment by direct debit or manual bank transfer, as this is the method which is usable by the most number of people.

In any case, there are plenty of alternatives to DB who will sell the ticket with a more flexible choice of payment methods. I guess DB don't really need to bother since lots of people will come to them anyway, or may even think it is the only place you can buy it.

DanielB

The 49 euro Deutschlandticket will also be valid on the cross-border routes to Enschede and Hengelo. The Dutch province Overijssel will pay for the additional costs, local media report. This will apply to the local trains on the Hengelo - Bielefeld, Enschede - Münster and Enschede - Dortmund routes.
Source (in Dutch)

rvdborgt

Seat61 recommends the app and website of Mainzer Mobilität to buy the ticket:
I just read a report from someone from the UK that this app worked for them.

island

Veteran Member
I've bought the ticket with the app "mobil.nrw" using a MasterCard. The ticket is showing in "valid in the future" and hasn't charged to my card yet. It appears the app charges overnight, as it's the same app as is used for their "eezy" GPS check in/out based payment system.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
I've bought the ticket with the app "mobil.nrw" using a MasterCard. The ticket is showing in "valid in the future" and hasn't charged to my card yet. It appears the app charges overnight, as it's the same app as is used for their "eezy" GPS check in/out based payment system.
The mobil.nrw site says this in the Q&A:

The Deutschlandticket can also be taken out and used by persons who reside outside Germany. However, the prerequisite is that the subscriber has a current account held in a member state of the European Union.

The Q&A looks like generic text, not specifically for the NRW version.

duesselmartin

Established Member
I used the DeutschlandTicket App with DVG as contract partner of choice.
Got the qr yesterday but no money was booked of my account yet.

philg999

Not sure the Swiss will be happy to be excluded!
Well that’s their fault for not being in the EU! EU law says that EU states cannot treat nationals of other EU states any differently from their own. So they have to make this hugely expensive (to the German state) offer available to holders of EU accounts. But the same would not apply to Swiss nationals unless it was negotiated separately (maybe the Swiss state gives Germany some money for this?)

AdamWW

Established Member
Well that’s their fault for not being in the EU! EU law says that EU states cannot treat nationals of other EU states any differently from their own. So they have to make this hugely expensive (to the German state) offer available to holders of EU accounts. But the same does not apply to Swiss nationals. So….

Well those outside the EU are no worse off than before the 49 Euro ticket.

But....with all these schemes to offer cheaper public transport to residents only, I'm a little concerned as to what might happen to other fares in the longer term.

How do you then set those fares when you don't expect the majority to pay them? I can see an argument for removing the existing cheap regional day tickets on the grounds that people should be committing to public transport. If regular fares become in effect a way of penalising residents who insist on using their car most of the time, it is going to be bad news for visitors.

I suppose it will make Interrail passes better value, which of course work in the other way - you get cheaper travel when you aren't in your own country.

So they have to make this hugely expensive (to the German state) offer available to holders of EU accounts.
It's not expensive to the state, on a per-journey basis, for an Swiss tourist going for an occasional day trip Basel to Freiburg.

No doubt the Swiss can afford to take ICE anyway though.

duesselmartin

Established Member
Considering it cost me nearly 300 Franks for a return journey from Grindelwald to Jungfraujoch.
The Swiss take a lot more money from tourists than anybody else.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Well those outside the EU are no worse off than before the 49 Euro ticket.
It's possible the UK is still "inside the EU" for the purposes of the Deutschland ticket and other similar financial transactions.
Whilst we have left the EU, there is still a hangover of cooperation in financial services, although this might end if relations deteriorate.
A bit like the EHIC card, which still works even when renamed UK GHIC with a union jack plastered on the front (UK Global Health Insurance Card).
These are valid across the EU and Switzerland, but nowhere else yet.

Last edited:

johncrossley

Established Member
The UK and Switzerland are part of the Single Euro Payments Area so that is may be what is meant by the above conditions.

AdamWW

Established Member
Considering it cost me nearly 300 Franks for a return journey from Grindelwald to Jungfraujoch.
The Swiss take a lot more money from tourists than anybody else.

The closest Germany comes to the Jungfraubahn, the Zugspitzbahn, is also somewhat on the pricy side.

(The €49 Euro ticket may be valid on the non rack section though since you can use the Bayernticket there.)

island

Veteran Member
The mobil.nrw site says this in the Q&A:

The Q&A looks like generic text, not specifically for the NRW version.
I am an EU citizen and do indeed hold a current account with a bank in the European Union, although I used a UK account in this instance. As others mention, I think the wording intends to refer to SEPA.

Seehof

I have just bought my Deutschlandticket with ease from the Mainzer Mobilität app using a credit card. However the “ticket” on my phone has no QR code just an 8 figure ID number followed by 27 different numerics and letters. I presume that is it or am I missing something or am I still to receive something for example on the first day of validity? Thanks

island

Veteran Member
I have just bought my Deutschlandticket with ease from the Mainzer Mobilität app using a credit card. However the “ticket” on my phone has no QR code just an 8 figure ID number followed by 27 different numerics and letters. I presume that is it or am I missing something or am I still to receive something for example on the first day of validity? Thanks
The ticket won't appear until 1 May.

Seehof

Thank you. Very comforting! Wow - this site is great for spot on information and lovely helpful people. Thank you again, island.

Seehof

How many people have got this ticket? Was it easy for you? I have mine (Mainzer Mobilität app) and will be using it in a few days time. Incidentally, the DB navigator reverted to English when I was checking a timetable and offered me a Deutschlandticket! It also said due to current demand the booking system may not work properly.
It does seem now to be actively promoted to tourists - my hotel now refers to it amongst its English blurb saying that a return trip from the airport plus one day trip out by train, using Oberammergau as the example, plus free travel on the cities trams etc makes it worth it.
To those that have it, be interesting to know how full the trains are etc. Happy travelling!

Status
Not open for further replies.