• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Hi all, I’ve got an interview on Monday for a grade 2 signaller any advice?

Thanks
Hi, I wish you all the best for your interview. I have tried using the search button on the top right of the page, as I have a Grade 9 interview coming up shortly myself. However, I found limited and mixed information surrounding interviews for a Signaller. My advice would be to do the same as I have and gain some information, then just ensure you prepare for all sorts of questions so you have answers when asked. I find preparing for a set of questions, then not actually being asked them is a recipe for disaster. GL on Monday!

Charlie95

Hi, I wish you all the best for your interview. I have tried using the search button on the top right of the page, as I have a Grade 9 interview coming up shortly myself. However, I found limited and mixed information surrounding interviews for a Signaller. My advice would be to do the same as I have and gain some information, then just ensure you prepare for all sorts of questions so you have answers when asked. I find preparing for a set of questions, then not actually being asked them is a recipe for disaster. GL on Monday!
Thanks.yeah I’ve done quite a lot of research got answers to lots of questions but think I might struggle to remember it all, so will read through good luck with your interview!!

deeneyweb

Thanks.yeah I’ve done quite a lot of research got answers to lots of questions but think I might struggle to remember it all, so will read through good luck with your interview!!
Good luck,

See my previous post 130571 for my thoughts on the interview and what I did.

eleveneleven

Hey All

I'm in the process of an application for a signaller role. Completed the assessments & face to face interview. A few weeks after the interview I received an email saying id passed the assessments and they'd like to do some additional interviews with me and can only confirm if they can offer me a position during W/C 15th April.

A few days later I had someone from HR ring me wanting a video call to show my ID, done that, not heard anything since and W/C 15th has just passed.

Feeling a little anxious now...think I should I get in touch or just continue waiting?

facefullofsnow

Hey All

I'm in the process of an application for a signaller role. Completed the assessments & face to face interview. A few weeks after the interview I received an email saying id passed the assessments and they'd like to do some additional interviews with me and can only confirm if they can offer me a position during W/C 15th April.

A few days later I had someone from HR ring me wanting a video call to show my ID, done that, not heard anything since and W/C 15th has just passed.

Feeling a little anxious now...think I should I get in touch or just continue waiting?
Hi @eleveneleven, I’m in exactly the same position. Was it for Manchester ROC? I was told I’d passed the assessment and interview but they couldn’t make an offer until the same week as you, w/c 15th.

dek01

Hi everyone,

I’m meant to be starting at Three Bridges ASC soon but haven’t been told yet whether I’ll be a resident or relief signaller. I think I read something on here about everyone at TB ASC was a relief signaller but was quite an old comment - is this still the case? I’m a bit nervous about the inconsistency in location but don’t really know that much about it.

Appreciate any info!

Sunset route

Established Member
Hi everyone,

I’m meant to be starting at Three Bridges ASC soon but haven’t been told yet whether I’ll be a resident or relief signaller. I think I read something on here about everyone at TB ASC was a relief signaller but was quite an old comment - is this still the case? I’m a bit nervous about the inconsistency in location but don’t really know that much about it.

Appreciate any info!

TBASC has two 42 line rosters (East Link and West Link) both are 12hrs rosters and within the lines of the rosters are GPR turns, which everyone covers on rotation.

High Dyke

Established Member
Just to go back to the leave stuff. Do you get the extra 2 days on your anniversary of employment or is it in the next calender year? Mine is coming up...
Apologies. I noticed this hadn't been answered. As I understand it, the increase to your Annual Leave entitlement is effective on the anniversary date of commencing employment.

SmokeAndJoe

Hi everyone,

Appreciate any info!
TBASC has two 42 line rosters (East Link and West Link) both are 12hrs rosters and within the lines of the rosters are GPR turns, which everyone covers on rotation.

Just in case you don't understand this, it means you'll be a resident, same as everyone as the flexi is built in to the roster.

I don't work there but sounds like when they moved to 12s they did away with separate internal flexi jobs.

They're awful so that's a thing.

Hmmmmmm, funny how the majority suck it up and crack on isn’t it.
I'll bite.

Childcare around this job is a nightmare.

More expensive than at anytime in the past. And whilst 12hrs is better for most things, it essentially takes you out of the loop for childcare.

If you're a single parent it's unworkable without some concessions from the company, which they are usually happy to accommodate actually.

Even if you're not, it puts all the onus on the other partner.

Why should you have to suck it up?

Last edited:

Sunset route

Established Member

Just in case you don't understand this, it means you'll be a resident, same as everyone as the flexi is built in to the roster.

I don't work there but sounds like when they moved to 12s they did away with separate internal flexi jobs.

Three Bridges ASC has never had any separate internal flexi relief jobs, the staff reps past and present were very good at steering away from that concept.

dek01

I'll bite.

Childcare around this job is a nightmare.

More expensive than at anytime in the past. And whilst 12hrs is better for most things, it essentially takes you out of the loop for childcare.

If you're a single parent it's unworkable without some concessions from the company, which they are usually happy to accommodate actually.

Even if you're not, it puts all the onus on the other partner.

Why should you have to suck it up?
Thank you both, appreciate the info :) feeling much less worried now!

NRnoob

Hi guys.

Quick question. With a urine alcohol test, what time frame from the last drink should I be worried about?

I had two drinks 76 odd hours before my medical and I'm paranoid I'll be over the limit even though I know scientifically speaking, two drinks at 4% abv, 330 MLS each would not and should not be an issue. But I'm starting to question why I even risked two drinks on the lead up to my medical!

It's crazy what emotions this entire process can put you through! What a rollercoaster.

deeneyweb

Hi guys.

Quick question. With a urine alcohol test, what time frame from the last drink should I be worried about?

I had two drinks 76 odd hours before my medical and I'm paranoid I'll be over the limit even though I know scientifically speaking, two drinks at 4% abv, 330 MLS each would not and should not be an issue. But I'm starting to question why I even risked two drinks on the lead up to my medical!

It's crazy what emotions this entire process can put you through! What a rollercoaster.
Hi, the urine test is for drugs, they do a breath test for alcohol. Either way you should be fine with 76 hours I would expect.

Hi guys.

Alcohol will flush out your system much quicker than 76 hrs so you’ll be fine! 12-24hrs for urine (72hrs for heavy use) but you only had 2 drinks so will be absolutely fine. Also as stated above it should be urine test for drugs and breathalyser for alcohol.

The job I currently do is safety critical and I had to undergo a medical myself, but I actually passed up a couple drinks with friends the Friday and my medical was the Monday. I don’t understand why anybody would risk it for a couple of drinks after getting so far! But that’s just me. I am not trying to criticise you btw, as everybody is different. You also seem to have learnt your lesson and are questioning your own choices anyway.

Like I said you’ll be fine, so I wouldn’t worry about it. Would be different if you got absolutely smashed.

SH89

Hi guys.

Urine is for drug testing, did you not do a breathalyser test on the day for alcohol?

DMckduck97

Alcohol will flush out your system much quicker than 76 hrs so you’ll be fine! 12-24hrs for urine (72hrs for heavy use) but you only had 2 drinks so will be absolutely fine. Also as stated above it should be urine test for drugs and breathalyser for alcohol.

The job I currently do is safety critical and I had to undergo a medical myself, but I actually passed up a couple drinks with friends the Friday and my medical was the Monday. I don’t understand why anybody would risk it for a couple of drinks after getting so far! But that’s just me. I am not trying to criticise you btw, as everybody is different. You also seem to have learnt your lesson and are questioning your own choices anyway.

Like I said you’ll be fine, so I wouldn’t worry about it. Would be different if you got absolutely smashed.
There is no lesson to be learned here really, he had two drinks 3 days before his medical. He could have gone out and got absolutely bladdered on the Friday and still pass the medical Monday.

Just because he hopes to work on the railway, doesn't mean his social life has to take a over the top pause...

croydonboy

Hi. I am interested in transferring from TBROC to Manchester ROC for the grade 8 workstations. (Currently a 9 at TBROC)

I would just like to know whether the break systems are the same (2 on 1 off or 2 on 2 off) as this works for me as I get time to use the gym or catch up on other work. I know we are lucky to have this system and I am open to different break systems. I’m just interested in knowing how they do things over there.

There is no lesson to be learned here really, he had two drinks 3 days before his medical. He could have gone out and got absolutely bladdered on the Friday and still pass the medical Monday.

Just because he hopes to work on the railway, doesn't mean his social life has to take a over the top pause...
I certainly wouldn’t risk getting ‘absolutely bladdered’ on Friday knowing I had a medical on Monday. But that’s just me I suppose. Also, he was clearly worried enough about it to ask though, wasn’t he? So I’d say lesson learnt regarding if he isn’t sure, don’t do it in future, no?

I get random D&A tests at work just now and I will not touch alcohol the day before a shift at work. Has it affected my social life? Absolutely not. I didn’t once state working in the Rail industry should mean ones social life should take a pause either.

DMckduck97

Alcohol eliminates itself from the body and breath extremely quick compared to other substances, if there's booze in your breath 72 hours after a session then you're probably already dead. 24 hours before is fair enough but a beer at the footy before an early sign on isn't going to get you sacked

NRnoob

Reason for the urine test was due to no breathalyser on site. I do think I'll be ok. Thanks for the support guys. Apologies if this has caused a bit of a discussion here. But I agree, i probably shouldn't have risked it if I was that worried.

I know that scientifically speaking, if I'm over the network rail limit at 3 days after I probably have something wrong with my metabolism!

Would be a shame to fall at the last hurdle though!

Trothy

Hi. I am interested in transferring from TBROC to Manchester ROC for the grade 8 workstations. (Currently a 9 at TBROC)

I would just like to know whether the break systems are the same (2 on 1 off or 2 on 2 off) as this works for me as I get time to use the gym or catch up on other work. I know we are lucky to have this system and I am open to different break systems. I’m just interested in knowing how they do things over there.
On a 12 hour shift it's currently 2 x 90 minute breaks per shift. However there has been a lot of staff shortages and it's not been unknown to have shorter breaks or no breaks at all.

There is also no guarantee the breaks won't be further watered down as more workstations come in.

Alcohol eliminates itself from the body and breath extremely quick compared to other substances, if there's booze in your breath 72 hours after a session then you're probably already dead. 24 hours before is fair enough but a beer at the footy before an early sign on isn't going to get you sacked
I agree in principle with you, I was just making a statement that if anybody is unsure, why risk it?

I could probably have 4/6 beers and be absolutely fine the following day to do my shift, but I just choose not to risk it personally.

I know of some people who have had some sessions that it wouldn’t surprise me if they were over the limit after 2/3 days! Haha

Reason for the urine test was due to no breathalyser on site. I do think I'll be ok. Thanks for the support guys. Apologies if this has caused a bit of a discussion here. But I agree, i probably shouldn't have risked it if I was that worried.

I know that scientifically speaking, if I'm over the network rail limit at 3 days after I probably have something wrong with my metabolism!

Would be a shame to fall at the last hurdle though!
It’s all good mate, we’re having a healthy discussion.

As stated above you’ll be absolutely fine, but in future if you aren’t sure, just don’t risk it. I’m not saying not to go enjoy your life, just trying to advise a couple drinks really isn’t worth risking such a high profile job like this.

Anyway, good luck when you start IST.

The Puddock

I’m not saying not to go enjoy your life, just trying to advise a couple drinks really isn’t worth risking such a high profile job like this.
Being a signaller isn't a 'high profile job'. It's a responsible, safety critical job but it certainly isn't high profile.

Being a signaller isn't a 'high profile job'. It's a responsible, safety critical job but it certainly isn't high profile.
Well apologies I used the wrong wording. I should have said as important and safety critical as this job. I think the recipient got what I meant though. It’s still not worth risking a few beers for the career and I stand by that.

Thanks for your input.

Last edited:

NRnoob

Well apologies I used the wrong wording. I should have said as safety critical as this job. I think the recipient got what I meant though. It’s still not worth risking a few beers for the career and I stand by that.

Thanks for your input.
Thanks for the advice.

I believe what you meant by high profile is true. It's high profile in the sense that it's a sought after job, one of the most competitive roles to apply for and of a very high standard. So I understand what you meant and agree. It's a once in a lifetime role for me, and a dream job, so I consider it high profile and high priority.

Looking at BAC calculators online, it would appear that to still have alcohol in your system after 72 hours would mean you'd have to have had enough alcohol to die, so I'd probably appeal a positive result haha.

Thanks anyway guys. Some great information here and a helpful community.

Thanks for the advice.

I believe what you meant by high profile is true. It's high profile in the sense that it's a sought after job, one of the most competitive roles to apply for and of a very high standard. So I understand what you meant and agree. It's a once in a lifetime role for me, and a dream job, so I consider it high profile and high priority.

Looking at BAC calculators online, it would appear that to still have alcohol in your system after 72 hours would mean you'd have to have had enough alcohol to die, so I'd probably appeal a positive result haha.

Thanks anyway guys. Some great information here and a helpful community.
No problem at all.

I’m glad you got what I meant by high profile. For me it is highly sought after and a dream career, so I worded it as such. I get the other posters response and appreciate that too. It is indeed a very responsible and safety critical job.

Yeah having alcohol in the system 72hrs after consumption as stated above by another poster would mean you’d have to be dead pretty much. I know I joked about knowing people who have drank enough to be over the limit after 2/3 days, but that was an exaggeration of course.

Glad you’re mind is now at ease and you can focus on getting that start date and IST. Like I said, good luck when it comes. I am hopeful I can make IST myself in the near future.