• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

NRnoob

No problem at all.

I’m glad you got what I meant by high profile. For me it is highly sought after and a dream career, so I worded it as such. I get the other posters response and appreciate that too. It is indeed a very responsible and safety critical job.

Yeah having alcohol in the system 72hrs after consumption as stated above by another poster would mean you’d have to be dead pretty much. I know I joked about knowing people who have drank enough to be over the limit after 2/3 days, but that was an exaggeration of course.

Glad you’re mind is now at ease and you can focus on getting that start date and IST. Like I said, good luck when it comes. I am hopeful I can make IST myself in the near future.
To be fair my mind will only truly be at ease when I get that email from them confirming the negative result! But talking to you guys has made me much more relaxed about the outcome etc.

As for your IST, I hope you land your role my friend! I'm sure with your attitude, you'll do very well! :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

The Puddock

I believe what you meant by high profile is true. It's high profile in the sense that it's a sought after job, one of the most competitive roles to apply for and of a very high standard. So I understand what you meant and agree. It's a once in a lifetime role for me, and a dream job, so I consider it high profile and high priority.
Let's not go mad here. Compared with most other professions, signalling is pretty far down the pecking order. Look at requirements to secure a job as a barrister, surgeon, dentist, commercial pilot, mechanical engineer or architect for example. You don't need a degree or even level one qualifications to be a signaller. I wouldn't say it's especially competitive or sought-after either; a number of recent vacancies in my local area have had no external or internal applicants and have had to be readvertised multiple times. Certainly we don't see the level of applications that TOCs are inundated with for train driving roles.

It's a job that carries a lot of responsibility and can be rewarding and challenging at times but realistically it's not like you're competing for a place at Oxford to study medicine.

(edited for bad spelling, which kind of proves the point...)

Last edited:
To be fair my mind will only truly be at ease when I get that email from them confirming the negative result! But talking to you guys has made me much more relaxed about the outcome etc.

As for your IST, I hope you land your role my friend! I'm sure with your attitude, you'll do very well! :)
Haha I totally get that. Never guaranteed until that confirmation comes through!

Thanks you for your kind words. I have an interview next week and I am confident I have what is needed to become a Signaller. I have the correct attitude, experience and ability to give a robust interview, so I hope I do well enough on the day to show them that. All I can do is try my best and hope it’s enough.

I guess time will time.

croydonboy

On a 12 hour shift it's currently 2 x 90 minute breaks per shift. However there has been a lot of staff shortages and it's not been unknown to have shorter breaks or no breaks at all.

There is also no guarantee the breaks won't be further watered down as more workstations come in.
Thanks very much for explaining. The staff shortage thing happens some days here too..I guess it is what it is at the moment. Lots of Manchester ROC jobs going at the minute on internals..

Let's not go mad here. Compared with most other professions, signalling is pretty far down the pecking order. Look at requirements to secure a job as a barrister, surgeon, dentist, commercial pilot, mechanical engineer or architect for example. You don't need a degree or even level one qualifications to be a signaller. I wouldn't say it's especially competitive or sought-after either; a number of recent vacancies in my local area have had no external or internal applicants and have had to be readvertised multiple times. Certainly we don't see the level of applications that TOCs are innundated with for train driving roles.

It's a job that carries a lot of responsibility and can be rewarding and challenging at times but realistically it's not like you're completing for a place at Oxford to study medicine.
Very surprised jobs had to be re advertised, but I guess not everybody knows of or thinks about Signalling. In all honesty it’s a job I never thought about until my friend who drives for LNER told me about it. He only knew as one of his friends had applied and told him, otherwise I wouldn’t even be on this thread annoying you all, so I do get your point. I do wish the position I have applied for had no other competition, might give me a better chance haha

I like the sound of the challenging part at times though, as I think I would get bored otherwise. I do think it’s a job that will suit me and I really hope I manage to become a Signaller very soon.

The Puddock

Very surprised jobs had to be re advertised, but I guess not everybody knows of or thinks about Signalling. In all honesty it’s a job I never thought about until my friend who drives for LNER told me about it. He only knew as one of his friends had applied and told him, otherwise I wouldn’t even be on this thread annoying you all, so I do get your point. I do wish the position I have applied for had no other competition, might give me a better chance haha

I like the sound of the challenging part at times though, as I think I would get bored otherwise. I do think it’s a job that will suit me and I really hope I manage to become a Signaller very soon.
The reality of being a signaller is that most of the time the work is boring and repetitive. I always say it's a bit like working on the production line in a car factory; it's important that you do your job correctly and to a high standard but at the same time it's all a bit mind numbing.

The reality of being a signaller is that most of the time the work is boring and repetitive. I always say it's a bit like working on the production line in a car factory; it's important that you do your job correctly and to a high standard but at the same time it's all a bit mind numbing.
My current job is similar. Then we get days where we have disruption and the service is chaos, then yours truly has to fix it. I love a bit disruption now and again, but wouldn’t want it to happen all the time. It keeps you on your toes from time to time though.

Last edited:

Bradts

Have long have you been waiting for that email mate? If you don’t mind me asking.

NRnoob

Have long have you been waiting for that email mate? If you don’t mind me asking.
One day, so no big deal. I'd say Monday I should know if all 2 units of alcohol had left my body before the medical!

Let's not go mad here. Compared with most other professions, signalling is pretty far down the pecking order. Look at requirements to secure a job as a barrister, surgeon, dentist, commercial pilot, mechanical engineer or architect for example. You don't need a degree or even level one qualifications to be a signaller. I wouldn't say it's especially competitive or sought-after either; a number of recent vacancies in my local area have had no external or internal applicants and have had to be readvertised multiple times. Certainly we don't see the level of applications that TOCs are inundated with for train driving roles.

It's a job that carries a lot of responsibility and can be rewarding and challenging at times but realistically it's not like you're competing for a place at Oxford to study medicine.

(edited for bad spelling, which kind of proves the point...)
I didn't mean that it compared to any of those professions you quoted here. What I meant was that for a lot of the people on this thread, it does mean a lot to them and is something of an achievement in their career. It is a highly competitive role within Network Rail, and is one of the most sought after positions within the organisation, one that carries a lot of history, a lot of procedures and a great deal of responsibility. Nothing compared to becoming a barrister, but just as competitive within its own right in its own field for what it is, and that's a job of importance, no matter how "boring" you may find it.

Last edited:

Buckshee

Hello everyone had an interview on Friday second attempt got a lot of info from this site even mentioned it in interview hopefully I get in this time if not try and try again

Signal_Box

TBASC has two 42 line rosters (East Link and West Link) both are 12hrs rosters and within the lines of the rosters are GPR turns, which everyone covers on rotation.

Just in case you don't understand this, it means you'll be a resident, same as everyone as the flexi is built in to the roster.

I don't work there but sounds like when they moved to 12s they did away with separate internal flexi jobs.

They're awful so that's a thing.

I'll bite.

Childcare around this job is a nightmare.

More expensive than at anytime in the past. And whilst 12hrs is better for most things, it essentially takes you out of the loop for childcare.

If you're a single parent it's unworkable without some concessions from the company, which they are usually happy to accommodate actually.

Even if you're not, it puts all the onus on the other partner.

Why should you have to suck it up?
Because it’s a 24/7 365 job why should I pick up all the crsp you can’t / won’t do ?

When I can’t get a Saturday off for love nor money, but the **** (Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday) link don’t work them it breads resentment.

Last edited:

matt96

I have just been offered a job at the ulverston station and I am beyond happy!

I have a few questions and would be grateful for any help.

Where does the medical usually take place ?

With IST will I receive a list of what I need to bring with me?

What is the pension like for network rail ?

Is it easy to relocate signal boxes once you have your foot in the door so to speak ?

Thanks

Buckshee

Is it easy to relocate signal boxes once you have your foot in the door so to speak ?

Thanks
I am in the same boat been offered a job at carnforth and also have the same questions as matt96 just like to add I will be at Carlisle anyone know what the hotel will be and is the training done inside the station

Thanks for all the info in the past it’s been a great help in getting me though the interview process

matt96

I am in the same boat been offered a job at carnforth and also have the same questions as matt96 just like to add I will be at Carlisle anyone know what the hotel will be and is the training done inside the station

Thanks for all the info in the past it’s been a great help in getting me though the interview process
Same here I will be in Carlisle aswell. I applied for the carnforth post but was offered the ulverston one . Drop me a message and we can swap numbers.

trainchoochoo

Anyone completed IST at Paddock Wood recently?
Where was the accommodation? As far as I can tell there aren’t any hotels in the area.
Also anyone heading to Paddock Wood for the course in July?

Brett55

Thanks
Congrats on the post!

medical is in an occupational health centre.

You will receive an email with your IST information, subject to change. Mine changed with one week's notice.

I'm taking stationary and flash cards, and should be given a laptop there.

There are a few pensions to chose from, some depend on length of service. you will have it in an email and get to choose.

Depends if your a resident or a pool signaller? when boxes become available you can apply, but may have lots of other interest.

Hope this helps.

Cheers and good luck on IST

muz379

Established Member

Thanks
Congrats on the offer .

Medicals are back in house now so it will be at an occupational health centre , not sure where the nearest to you is . My experience with them being run by optima was that you basically contacted them and organised the appointment yourself . Not sure how it'll be in house but probably pretty similar .

Regarding IST , short of flash cards and my rule books that I got from my manager pre IST I dont think I really took much else of my own . All kinds of stationary was provided at the centre , as well as a laptop .

You should get info sent through with your official offer pack about pensions , there are two schemes if you are new to the railway , if you dont select a preference you are automatically enrolled into the NRDC scheme I think . There is a raft of information at https://www.mynrpension.co.uk/ . Assuming nothing changes you should then get given a one time opportunity to join the railway pension scheme (RPS 65) if/when you reach 5 years service .

There is a rule that you have to stay in your first signalling post for 12 months , although that rule does seem to be enforced more in some areas/for some people than in others . But in terms of relocation once in you can apply for any vacancies on the internal list . You would then go through shortlisting , and if successful an interview just as anyone else who has applied for that vacancy has . But yeah people move about all the time .

eleveneleven

Congrats on the offer .

Medicals are back in house now so it will be at an occupational health centre , not sure where the nearest to you is . My experience with them being run by optima was that you basically contacted them and organised the appointment yourself . Not sure how it'll be in house but probably pretty similar .

Regarding IST , short of flash cards and my rule books that I got from my manager pre IST I dont think I really took much else of my own . All kinds of stationary was provided at the centre , as well as a laptop .

You should get info sent through with your official offer pack about pensions , there are two schemes if you are new to the railway , if you dont select a preference you are automatically enrolled into the NRDC scheme I think . There is a raft of information at https://www.mynrpension.co.uk/ . Assuming nothing changes you should then get given a one time opportunity to join the railway pension scheme (RPS 65) if/when you reach 5 years service .

There is a rule that you have to stay in your first signalling post for 12 months , although that rule does seem to be enforced more in some areas/for some people than in others . But in terms of relocation once in you can apply for any vacancies on the internal list . You would then go through shortlisting , and if successful an interview just as anyone else who has applied for that vacancy has . But yeah people move about all the time .

Another question: How long does it take from the beginning of IST training to be fully qualified?

SuperS16v

Another question: How long does it take from the beginning of IST training to be fully qualified?

The course is 11 weeks including the 1 week e-learning.

You will then go to a box / panel where you will learn on the job. You are deemed qualified when you pass out on at least one box/ panel and you have completed your ruling and verification.

That’s a bit of a how long is a piece of string situation. Depends on how quickly you get confidence on the box / panel and your rules.

muz379

Established Member
2 weeks E learning , 10 weeks in the classroom for IST , if you do absolute block IST and need to do the TCB conversion that is another 2 weeks . They usually run it straight after but have known people be delayed in attending it . So assuming you pass all of that first time that is 14 weeks .

Then you will learn your box/panel/workstation . This really depends on the location and your own levels of confidence . Take whatever the norm is for an existing signaller to learn that location and add at least another 3 to 4 weeks on top as you are also learning to do the job as well . Also definitely don't rush to pass out cos once you pass out and sign the book everything that happens is on you .

There will also be other things to do during this time training in the box as well , visit adjacent boxes , have your rules with your manager etc .

I wouldn't expect to be passed out for at least 6 months from starting IST .

Open_G

I wouldn't expect to be passed out for at least 6 months from starting IST .
Yep. I had a few delays between ending IST and starting training in box as well as losing a couple of weeks after passing out to do rules and verification. It was pretty much 8 months to the day from starting IST to my first solo shift.

speedbirdtrain

Long time lurker, first time posting. Gained a lot of useful information from this thread for my application so I am contributing back!

Timeline
Initial Application: 13 Feb 2024 - Applied for a G9 opening
Online Tests: 21 Feb 2024
5 Mar 2024 Received an email saying they have either filled all the places at the location applied, or have enough candidates at the next stage to fill the places available. 
Re-applied to a G3 opening (unfortunately I did not remember the date to this and is unable to find a confirmation email)
Received invitation to final interview/ assessment centre: 28 Mar 2024
Assessment day at Milton Keynes: 8 Apr 2024
Conditional offer received: 1 May 2024 - No start date or IST date yet

Hope this helps anyone who is applying and hopefully they will have a start day soon.

muz379

Established Member
The two weeks E learning is this done at home?
Depends on LOM/Area , I did most of mine at home , but during that two week period also met my LOM a few times to collect my rulebooks go through company policies . And visited a few different signalling locations .

Bradts

One day, so no big deal. I'd say Monday I should know if all 2 units of alcohol had left my body before the medical!

Hi mate, one on this as a heads up, just had my medical come back, took 10 days.

I received an email saying congratulations, giving me my employee number and wait for training essentially.

Just letting you know as the wait was making me think I had failed for some reason.

Buckshee

Hi mate, one on this as a heads up, just had my medical come back, took 10 days.

I received an email saying congratulations, giving me my employee number and wait for training essentially.

Just letting you know as the wait was making me think I had failed for some reason.
What have people done regarding handing notice in at there current jobs do you have medical then hand in or do it before