• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

LOM

Finally managed to get an application past the Test Completed status and under consideration with the hiring manager. From a HM perspective what would you primarily focus on when shortlisting for interviews? I.e Test scores, quality of CV, 70 Qs etc.

I can only speak for myself but I shortlist based almost entirely on CV and covering letter (most do not bother to upload one so by adding a decent one your application will certainly stand out).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Allaboard78

I can only speak for myself but I shortlist based almost entirely on CV and covering letter (most do not bother to upload one so by adding a decent one your application will certainly stand out).

Is there anything in particular you look for on the cv?

89jordanbj

Thanks LOM. My application has changed to Invite to Assessment 2 pending so fingers crossed. As mentioned on here though: take the recruitment website with a pinch of salt - so I am not getting too excited just yet.

As part of the formal offer pack you get a form to get a SWR pass for use on the entire Wessex Route which gives you free work & leisure travel, you can subsequently get passes for any dependents for leisure travel only. The pass arrives about 2-3 weeks after you start.

Thats really helpful - thank you!

Edit - Is this the offer pack from NR as I've not seen anything in mine?

Last edited:

Javagem

For the 27/4 York starters, Where are people going on Monday. I’m going to York MDU to meet my LOM there. Does anyone know what the dress code is for the first week? (presume it’s induction week).

9tfrizzco

For the 27/4 York starters, Where are people going on Monday. I’m going to York MDU to meet my LOM there. Does anyone know what the dress code is for the first week? (presume it’s induction week).
Same here.
I was thinking smart casual.

7Paul7

I'm dialling into a Skype meeting from home , been asked to work through the induction pack this week to be expanded on via Skype next week,

9tfrizzco

I'm dialling into a Skype meeting from home , been asked to work through the induction pack this week to be expanded on via Skype next week,
So did your plan change? Wonder why you are doing things differently, maybe to keep numbers down

Javagem

That’s interesting, you were due to go to Darlington weren’t you?
Wonder if school will start as planned on 4/5.

LOM

Is there anything in particular you look for on the cv?

Not too long and rambling, clearly states how your work/life experience relates to the essential criteria listed on the job advert. If one of the essential criteria is must have your own transport to get to work then mention that you have a driving licence and car!

Thanks LOM. My application has changed to Invite to Assessment 2 pending so fingers crossed. As mentioned on here though: take the recruitment website with a pinch of salt - so I am not getting too excited just yet.

"Invite to Assessment 2 Pending" status indicates you have been one of the 8 highest scoring candidates in the SHL tests & questionnaire so the hiring manager is supposed to review these applications before the remaining candidates (the hiring manager sees the status "Hiring manager to consider for interview"). This does not guarantee you an interview but it is a good start.

amanda08

Just had my first “invite to assessment two pending” :)
Thanks to all that post great info on here. It’s been a massive help

89jordanbj

Not too long and rambling, clearly states how your work/life experience relates to the essential criteria listed on the job advert. If one of the essential criteria is must have your own transport to get to work then mention that you have a driving licence and car!

"Invite to Assessment 2 Pending" status indicates you have been one of the 8 highest scoring candidates in the SHL tests & questionnaire so the hiring manager is supposed to review these applications before the remaining candidates (the hiring manager sees the status "Hiring manager to consider for interview"). This does not guarantee you an interview but it is a good start.
Thanks for clearing that up. What is the difference between this status and 'under consideration for assessment 2'? As I received an email for that yesterday stating It was with the hiring manager for consideration, before being updated again today to invite pending. I spent a lot of time updating my CV recently and a lot more time completing the 70 questions so it's nice to see the extra time paying off

croydonboy

New Cross Gate is VDU and 12 hours. One signaller and an SSM on duty each shift - the latter give breaks.

No relocation plans, AFAIA. The box is already located in a kind of London Overground mini-ROC at NXG depot along with control and admin staff.

Thanks for the quick reply! Would definately like to work there.

danners430

Just checked the online portal for the first time in a few days, and noticed my application went to Application Under Consideration for Assessment 2, then to unsuccessful, which is a shame. However, I never received any emails, despite the letters being visible on the portal... Any ideas?

Allaboard78

Just checked the online portal for the first time in a few days, and noticed my application went to Application Under Consideration for Assessment 2, then to unsuccessful, which is a shame. However, I never received any emails, despite the letters being visible on the portal... Any ideas?
Have you checked your junk folder?

Kraken

I’ve had the same thing happen in the last few days (status of an application changed with no email). I have had cause to email the NWR recruitment team in the past and they were super helpful. If it’s concerning you I’d definitely recommend getting in touch.

Trackman2

I believe on the NR website you can only add one document. When you add a second the first gets deleted.

Kraken

Is there anyone who switched to signalling as a second career and was new to shift work that could share their experiences on here please?

I personally haven’t done shift work for some time but I quite enjoyed it when I did. However, I was in a different place then and as a single man with no commitments not being off over the weekend was an active bonus for me. Now I have a family and, to be candid, the potential move to shift working is something I’m slightly apprehensive about. How do people find their work-life balance as a signaller? Do you feel that you get adequate time with your family over weekends?

I appreciate that this is highly subjective, and roster-dependent, but any insight would be very welcome.