• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Westy91

Afternoon chaps, track worker here been lurking a while. I'm in for Haslemere/Farncombe/Woking as well. I pinged them an email on monday morning requesting information for the timeframe and they said they're matching offers with update due sometime this week.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Leeward

Sorry to hear that dude. Did you not even get an email?

No, last I heard was the standard response...

"Because you’ve passed our Signaller ability test within the last 6 months, we’ll be moving your application through to assessment stage... ... We’ll let you know the outcome of your application 2 weeks after the advert closes."

... I've received for most of my applications, most of which have been really good at keeping me up to date. So this is disappointing.

Woody27

Yeah, mine was approximately two weeks ago.

"Because you’ve passed our Signaller ability test within the last 6 months, we’ll be moving your application through to assessment stage... ... We’ll let you know the outcome of your application 2 weeks after the advert closes."

... I've received for most of my applications, most of which have been really good at keeping me up to date. So this is disappointing.
I’m in the same situation as you mate, got a couple sat at assessment, but I’m pretty sure from reading this thread that interviews have already taken place!

Hopefully by now you’ve spotted the pinned thread ‘A career as a signaller’ which answers all your questions and more.
If not, then you may need to work on your observation and informs gathering skills - they’ll be key when you’re a signaller:lol:

I’d suggest not starting from the beginning as it would take a while!
Good luck and welcome to signalling8-)

B_Stoneman97

Hi everyone - new to railway and secured a grade 2 post in Wateringbury with start date of 23rd August. Been told sig school is 30th August and in London. anyone here going on the course?

BaddingtonPear

Newish lurker here, just wanted to say a huge thank you to everyone who has posted advice on this thread as it has been so helpful when applying!
I have a couple of questions though, I have an application sitting at "assessment" after I've done the online tests, would it be straight to unsuccessful if I'd failed? Also they have extended the deadline twice now, why would they do this? If anyone can shed any light please I'd be so grateful, the waiting is killing me!

Leeward

Newish lurker here, just wanted to say a huge thank you to everyone who has posted advice on this thread as it has been so helpful when applying!
I have a couple of questions though, I have an application sitting at "assessment" after I've done the online tests, would it be straight to unsuccessful if I'd failed? Also they have extended the deadline twice now, why would they do this? If anyone can shed any light please I'd be so grateful, the waiting is killing me!

Which vacancy?

MikeyFord

Someone with more experience may correct me here but they will extend the deadline if they do not get enough suitable applicants, the online tests are scored and are probably only looked at after the closing date so unless you got a really low score I doubt it would an automatic fail.

CoachB

One of the reasons that might be the cause of the extension is due to assessor availability as my original interview for the previous Scotland locations (Dumfries, Blair atholl and kennethmont) was supposed to be on the 15th June but was then cancelled and rescheduled for the 20th July.

Maybe due to that they decided to keep it open for a bit longer to see if they could get some more applications since they wouldn't be able to book any interviews in.

Tapples92

Afternoon chaps, track worker here been lurking a while. I'm in for Haslemere/Farncombe/Woking as well. I pinged them an email on monday morning requesting information for the timeframe and they said they're matching offers with update due sometime this week.
Hello all, I also had my interview for this position just under 2 weeks ago too and I was told the same thing "Hiring Manager is still matching offers with candidates".

While I'm here, a huge thanks for all the posts on this thread. It has been a massive help in preparing for the interview.

Good luck everyone!

YN02

Hiya. I'm brand new here as well and agree the information on here has been a great help. I've also applied for the Dalwhinnie position. I just completed the SST today and have an interview on the 4th August .
It was about 3 weeks after I had completed the online tests before I heard anything and I was the same as you, constantly checking to see if the status had changed .
Fingers crossed for you

ChrisRS

Also never leave to drive home with no battery, did that once ... broke down at 6am in middle of nowhere... had to flag down another motorist
Embarrassing mistake to make but happens. I usually leave the box with 100% battery now.

To add to stuff I keep;
- Glasses wipes (don't want smudged up glasses)
- Alcohol wipes (habit from covid days)
- Ibuprofen incase of a sudden migraine

Westy91

That sounds like you were incredibly unlucky. I actually got told I'd failed - then 48 hours later - told I'd passed which at the time really confused me. Interview invite dropped the following week.

BaddingtonPear

Hiya. I'm brand new here as well and agree the information on here has been a great help. I've also applied for the Dalwhinnie position. I just completed the SST today and have an interview on the 4th August .
It was about 3 weeks after I had completed the online tests before I heard anything and I was the same as you, constantly checking to see if the status had changed .
Fingers crossed for you
Brilliant, well done! Good luck for your interview :)
Thanks for all the info… guess I’ll find out eventually!

y0rkie287

happy days, dbs passed, just waiting on the medical now, start date in december so have to wait until september due to the 3 month validity period for the drug and alcohol tests

quick question, my original offer letter said working under a particular LOM, now it says working under this LOM area for the purposes of training then will be assigned a box within 60 mins commute, does this mean that i won't be under this LOM after passing out or is that still a possibility as this LOM is my local line and would prefer to be local rather than driving an hour away if possible

Last edited:

Rockhopper

A LOM is a Local Operations Manager - he or she will have many boxes in their area and you'll be assigned to whichever has a vacancy but is still within one hour from your home.

y0rkie287

A LOM is a Local Operations Manager - he or she will have many boxes in their area and you'll be assigned to whichever has a vacancy but is still within one hour from your home.
The LOM i will be training under runs skegness to boston line, was wondering as it has been changed to include the box within 60 mins part from the original offer where it originally said in the 'lincolnshire area', hoping that the revision of 'this LOM for the purposes of training' doesn't mean i'll not be on this LOM line afterwards, obviously the closer to home the better

Scooby123

The LOM i will be training under runs skegness to boston line, was wondering as it has been changed to include the box within 60 mins part from the original offer where it originally said in the 'lincolnshire area', hoping that the revision of 'this LOM for the purposes of training' doesn't mean i'll not be on this LOM line afterwards, obviously the closer to home the better
Closer to home the better of course. But not everyone can be that lucky. When I first started I had a 56 minute commute on a 8hr shift pattern and that’s if there was no road closures or diversions along the motorway. But there were no other vacancies closer to home. I now work a signal box 10 minutes away from me which I probably wouldn’t have got if it wasn’t for the experience gained in the first box. Sometimes gotta just put up with it and keep your eyes open for something closer to home meanwhile gaining as much experience as possible!

y0rkie287

Closer to home the better of course. But not everyone can be that lucky. When I first started I had a 56 minute commute on a 8hr shift pattern and that’s if there was no road closures or diversions along the motorway. But there were no other vacancies closer to home. I now work a signal box 10 minutes away from me which I probably wouldn’t have got if it wasn’t for the experience gained in the first box. Sometimes gotta just put up with it and keep your eyes open for something closer to home meanwhile gaining as much experience as possible!
yeah i expected that to be honest, but hey ho it's a foot in the door as they say, just keep an aye open for openings after i've done the 12 months or whatever it is you need to do before moving, either way i'll be chuffed to bits to be doing the job no matter where it is

Fireinbabylon

hi everyone,

hope everyone is enjoying the sunshine ,

i have an interview at Victoria asc soon, can someone help me and let me know what are the remaining panels and what areas they cover there and roughly how many signalers working at this location , many thanks

headshot119

Established Member
September 16th for shifts worked between August 14th and 10th September
October 14th for shifts worked between 11th September and October 8th

Emz86

Next payday is Friday 19/08, and then you can work it out from then as it’s just every 4 weeks, so 16/09 14/10…
Thank you very much.
September 16th for shifts worked between August 14th and 10th September
October 14th for shifts worked between 11th September and October 8th
Super! That was my next question answered. Im starting on 5th, just wondered what pay to work on, so thats ideal. X