• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

PTGRail

The most popular variants I've seen to make the roster compliant involve taking one the the shifts from those two weeks that are non compliant and moving a single shift to the full week off, most often the Wednesday night.
That doesn’t sound so bad. I was interested to see how much of that week off could be preserved on a complaint roster.

Mine is
Thursday Friday Saturday Sunday- days
Monday Tuesday off
Wednesday Thursday Friday - nights
Saturday Sunday- off
Monday Tuesday Wednesday- days
Thursday Friday off
Saturday Sunday Monday Tuesday - nights
Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday Sunday Monday Tuesday Wednesday off
Then back to week 1, in on Thursday days

Mine is
Thursday Friday Saturday Sunday- days
Monday Tuesday off
Wednesday Thursday Friday - nights
Saturday Sunday- off
Monday Tuesday Wednesday- days
Thursday Friday off
Saturday Sunday Monday Tuesday - nights
Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday Sunday Monday Tuesday Wednesday off
Then back to week 1, in on Thursday days
Thanks for this! I see with this roster they’ve managed to preserve that week off. As someone with a partner in Poland, I’m hoping to still get enough days off to go and see him without using all my leave too quickly and then not see him for months.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ThatsAMorey

Hi everyone, hope you’re all well and groovy.

With the news of the settlement today I’m wondering what this means for me? I start next Monday for a week in my local area before heading to signaller school. Once I’ve (hopefully) passed that I’ll be a grade 2 in the high peak (Furness Vale) area.

Will I be seeing the big headline 14.4% rise or it it more likely that it’ll be more along the lines of ‘giveth with one hand and taketh with the other’ as with my previous employer?

The Rotas showed earlier seem good, not sure what I’ll be seeing yet but hopefully something similar.

Hi everyone, hope you’re all well and groovy.

With the news of the settlement today I’m wondering what this means for me?

Will I be seeing the big headline 14.4% rise or it it more likely that it’ll be more along the lines of ‘giveth with one hand and taketh with the other’ as with my previous employer?
Hi
It’s a 5% rise for last year’s pay, which is back paid to Jan 2022, and a 4% rise for this years current base salary, again back paid to October last year - the media has simplified it overall as a 14.4% payrise. So your salary when you start will be on the improved rate (or within a few weeks when it’s all sorted)
Grade 2 base pay rises to in the region of £31900

Last edited:

ThatsAMorey

Hi
It’s a 5% rise for last year’s pay, which is back paid to Jan 2022, and a 4% rise for this years current base salary, again back paid to October last year - the media has simplified it overall as a 14.4% payrise. So your salary when you start will be on the improved rate (or within a few weeks when it’s all sorted)
Grade 2 base pay rises to in the region of £31900
Many thanks for the info. Good news for me then. It seems like it’s been quite a hard fought for deal, and I’m sure many on here have had to suffer to get it done. My thanks for your efforts and sacrifices

Dean606

Sorry guys to go off topic but i had an interview on March 8th for Basingstoke ROC just wondering what kind of timeline would get an answer if i got the job or not ?

i emailed them and they said "the team are currently waiting for confirmation from the manage to proceed with offers and outcomes"

just wondering in peoples experience how long they waited after the interview ?

mrc.Welford

Sorry guys to go off topic but i had an interview on March 8th for Basingstoke ROC just wondering what kind of timeline would get an answer if i got the job or not ?

i emailed them and they said "the team are currently waiting for confirmation from the manage to proceed with offers and outcomes"

I found out about a week later I think. Got called and emailed

ThatsAMorey

I received my offer email 2 weeks after the interview. I’d imagine it depends on how many interviews are scheduled and also other factors such as holidays / sickness coming in to the equation. Good luck

Andy9gc

I applies for the same role and have been stuck at assessment stage since.
Same here, but unfortunately received an email today that I will not be proceeding to the interview stage. Have asked for feedback, hopefully that will provide some insight I can work on for next time.

Hopefully you will get some good news mate

Luke1687

Got my official start date today. Looking like starting Signal school in Preston on Monday 15th May. Anyone else starting then. Over the moon to finally have this date. Passed medical yesterday which is such a relief.

jayafc

Got my official start date today. Looking like starting Signal school in Preston on Monday 15th May. Anyone else starting then. Over the moon to finally have this date. Passed medical yesterday which is such a relief.
I’ve been told the 9th may so I must be the week before.

Kraken

Thanks, that’s really helpful to visualise. I’m pleased to see how that week off has been preserved. I can only hope the new rota for my box looks something like this!

Your British Signalling Guide on YouTube was such a great resource for me going into IST - sincere thanks and great to see you coming into the grade!

dave112

unfortunately had a no to from the basic feedback seems I passed evrything just other people had either a higher score or better answers to the questions.

PTGRail

Your British Signalling Guide on YouTube was such a great resource for me going into IST - sincere thanks and great to see you coming into the grade!
Thank you!

It’s an old video now, and of course I made it more from the perspective of train drivers. Glad you found it useful though!

Csb362

For any signallers in Scotland - does anyone have any knowledge of the shifts and any of the central belt area routes ie Stirling ??
The Stirling area is 24 hr/365 and are 12hr shifts but the start time varies dependant on local agreements, some which I know of are 1130-2330 some are 0430-1630 and some are 0600-1800

CheeseNoMayo

How did it go? Relaxed or very formal? I’ve got an interview next week.
I’m feeling fairly confident that it went well, but only time will tell! It was probably the most comfortable I’ve ever felt in an interview situation. I never once felt like I was being grilled or under any sort of pressure from the interviewers. I felt very comfortable with the interviewers and felt like I got a long with them well.

Wales82

I’m feeling fairly confident that it went well, but only time will tell! It was probably the most comfortable I’ve ever felt in an interview situation. I never once felt like I was being grilled or under any sort of pressure from the interviewers. I felt very comfortable with the interviewers and felt like I got a long with them well.
Ah that’s great, hopefully a positive outcome for you soon. Let me know how you get on.