• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a train driver

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Maher59

Im currently in training for northern, to be based in Sheffield. I would suggest you find out as much information about the company as possible. There’s quite a bit of info on their website (that’s what I used). Why you want to be a driver, and if you understand the role. You’ll be asked questions about how you deal with certain situations, it can be from how to prepare yourself for work; to what you’d do if you see someone being bullied. From my own experience, it wasn’t overly stressful, likely because I prepared for it, but really think about what you can bring to the role. What key skills that drivers need and that you also possess.

I wish you the best of luck

Thanks very much for reaching out with some advice !

Would you mind dropping me a dm I have a couple of questions to run by you,

Again thanks for the advice !

Lee70

Helloooo!
I’ve been given the long awaited call offering me a position as trainee train driver for Exeter St David’s! Medical and uniform measurements on 29th August. I started the application process in Summer of 2019! And placed in the talent pool January 2020. Kinda gave up hope but made sure I kept my application active just in case. They told me they’re not sure as to what training scheme they’ll put me on. One is a diploma NVQ3 at college
Does anyone know what other course there is or indeed what college training entails??? How long it lasts?? Also do GWR offer Dental insurance?
I appreciate that all these answers I can get later on but really want to find out ASAP!

BAZ7369

Helloooo!
I’ve been given the long awaited call offering me a position as trainee train driver for Exeter St David’s! Medical and uniform measurements on 29th August. I started the application process in Summer of 2019! And placed in the talent pool January 2020. Kinda gave up hope but made sure I kept my application active just in case. They told me they’re not sure as to what training scheme they’ll put me on. One is a diploma NVQ3 at college
Does anyone know what other course there is or indeed what college training entails??? How long it lasts?? Also do GWR offer Dental insurance?
I appreciate that all these answers I can get later on but really want to find out ASAP!
I can’t answer any of your questions, but would just like to say CONGRATULATIONS! To coin a couple of phrases; patience is a virtue, and all good things come to those who wait!

Helloooo!

Congratulations on getting the call! I'm not sure about the college courses other than I thought they had stopped doing them, but obviously not. No dental insurance AFAIK... are you expecting trouble from passengers then?!

Lee70

Congratulations on getting the call! I'm not sure about the college courses other than I thought they had stopped doing them, but obviously not. No dental insurance AFAIK... are you expecting trouble from passengers then?!
Ha! Hope not! Just having to get a private dentist as no NHS one’s available but if GWR had a dental plan then I’d was going to hang on!

Ha! Hope not! Just having to get a private dentist as no NHS one’s available but if GWR had a dental plan then I’d was going to hang on!

It would be a nice perk for sure but I think you're going to have to bite the bullet (pun not intended)!

CFRAIL

Moat TOCs I believe offer a simply health type service where you can claim costs back.

CFRAIL

Not specifically for drivers. But at SE for example, colleagues can join simply health (or similar, not sure of specific company). And then claim back X amount of dental costs, optical costs etc...

RyanC87

There's health shield where I am. You pay in and can claim for dental, massages, eyes, chiropractic etc etc depending on the level

Not specifically for drivers. But at SE for example, colleagues can join simply health (or similar, not sure of specific company). And then claim back X amount of dental costs, optical costs etc...

We get Health Shield too and can claim those benefits, and the basic cover is paid for by the company. You can increase the cover by paying additional fees.

banksywhoshe

Feeling nervous now, I’ve an interview for a depot driver role with Northern. I’ll be sat doing my homework for the next few nights!

genziu8181

Congratulations. I have applied
Helloooo!
Hi.
I have applied April 2019, test completed in December 2019. DMI December 2020 due to COVIiD, had my medical 22.08 and starting date 16.10 for Plymouth. Maybe we will be on the same course. I am also very curious about training and how does it look like

Lee70

Cool! All done now, just waiting for joining instructions. Start date is 16.10 Don’t know anything else than that

WReading

Good evening all,

Hope this is allowed but please delete if not. I’m just wondering if anybody has any information please, regarding me joining to become a train driver? I’m 40 years old and based in the midlands.
Does anyone know if there’s a chance I could be accepted during a recruitment window or am I too old at 40?

Many thanks
Wes

Carl98k

Good evening all,

Hope this is allowed but please delete if not. I’m just wondering if anybody has any information please, regarding me joining to become a train driver? I’m 40 years old and based in the midlands.
Does anyone know if there’s a chance I could be accepted during a recruitment window or am I too old at 40?

Many thanks
Wes
I became a driver at 40, no problems at all. Good luck.

AverageJoe

Good evening all,

Many thanks
Wes
I’m 40 and I got the job at 38.
One on my course was in his 50’s

12LDA28C

Established Member
Where about a in the
Midlands are you?

There's a clue in the OP's location, I assume.

Thank you. Have you any idea if there are any recruitment drives opening up soon?

Chiltern Railways frequently advertise for apprentice train drivers but you've just missed the most recent recruitment drive for apprentices at Birmingham and Banbury unfortunately.

AverageJoe

Thank you. Have you any idea if there are any recruitment drives opening up soon?

Thank you. Are you enjoying it? Fingers crossed there’s an opening soon.
I don’t regret taking the job but the shifts are extreme.
You can be working any hour of any day.
At times no matter how sensible you are and no matter how many techniques you use, trying to get to sleep at 4/5pm to be up at midnight and in the depot for 1am can be really difficult.
Then when your alarm goes off at midnight and you’ve managed a grand total of 1 hours sleep you come in to work and use caffeine to get you through the day.
The problem is you then get home and can’t get a good nights sleep because of all the caffeine so there’s another poor nights sleep.
The second day is when it can hit you I find and then you have the decision to make of do I dare phone in unfit for work or do I rely on caffeine again and just hope then I’m tired enough to get a good amount of sleep when I finish the day.

This isn’t every day but it’s something that can take its toll that a lot don’t think about.

The job demand a lot of concentration and when you are tired you know about it and it can be unnerving at times.

WReading

I don’t regret taking the job but the shifts are extreme.
You can be working any hour of any day.
At times no matter how sensible you are and no matter how many techniques you use, trying to get to sleep at 4/5pm to be up at midnight and in the depot for 1am can be really difficult.
Then when your alarm goes off at midnight and you’ve managed a grand total of 1 hours sleep you come in to work and use caffeine to get you through the day.
The problem is you then get home and can’t get a good nights sleep because of all the caffeine so there’s another poor nights sleep.
The second day is when it can hit you I find and then you have the decision to make of do I dare phone in unfit for work or do I rely on caffeine again and just hope then I’m tired enough to get a good amount of sleep when I finish the day.

This isn’t every day but it’s something that can take its toll that a lot don’t think about.

The job demand a lot of concentration and when you are tired you know about it and it can be unnerving at times.
Thanks. It’s something to take onboard. However, I do believe I could cope with that side of things as I’m able to switch off and sleep when required.
Thanks for the input.