• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A scam phone calls and emails discussion.

AngelRoad

I used to have real problems with scam phone calls. My first tactic was the Telephone Preference Service, unfortunately it was as useful as proverbial fire guard. I then had my land line taken out, its a clumsy historical method of communication anyway and I rarely had cause to use it but it was the main source of scammers atvthat time.

I now only have a couple of mobiles, an iPhone 8 as my main one and iPhone 6 as back up. Most of the time I have it set to delete calls from withheld numbers, and also those calls who do have a number but which aren’t in my contacts list. This is great most of the time and so much so that I get no scam calls at all now, however my local hospitals withhold their number, so I don’t get their calls when I do actually need talk to them occasionally.

My gp used to withhold their number but I spoke to the practice manager and they put a note on my records to call from their main no. which I have in my contact.

On balance the benefits of having unknowns dumped straight into trash far out weigh the disadvantages.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jb108822

I've been having a really irritating spate of scam texts lately, all from different numbers, asking me to click on a link to hear a voicemail I supposedly have. Had two today less than 25 minutes apart.

johnnychips

Established Member
I still can’t understand why people answer the phone, unless you need to for your job. Anybody who you want to speak to should be in your contact list, and show up. If anybody really needs to contact you they will text after you don’t answer.

SargeNpton

Established Member
I still can’t understand why people answer the phone, unless you need to for your job. Anybody who you want to speak to should be in your contact list, and show up. If anybody really needs to contact you they will text after you don’t answer.
And what if one of your friends has changed their number and is ringing up to tell you. What if it's a company that you have just ordered something from and they need to talk to you to clarify something?

Lots of people or companies will have legitimate reasons to call you from numbers that you don't recognise.

One of the best defences against scam calls is to let it ring three times before answering - if it's an auto-dialler it will move onto the next number in its list by then.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
At 1245 today, a recorded female American voice rang regarding the matter of a £399 purchase of a smart phone from Amazon and asking that I press "1" to confirm the purchase. I made no reply as is my want and after 10 seconds, the caller terminated the call.

One of the best defences against scam calls is to let it ring three times before answering...
Noting what you suggest, it reminded me of that song from years ago....Sung by Tony Orlando and Dawn.....

"Knock three times on the ceiling if you want me, twice on the pipes if the answer is "no" ... :lol:

Last edited:

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Interesting that the ”unusual payment to Amazon“ recorded message starts up “…ank fraud department“ as though you’ve missed the first few words. :rolleyes: Clever aren’t they, saves them having to guess who your actual bank is…

greatvoyager

Established Member
Interesting that the ”unusual payment to Amazon“ recorded message starts up “…ank fraud department“ as though you’ve missed the first few words. :rolleyes: Clever aren’t they, saves them having to guess who your actual bank is…
I’ve just had one of those calls, although I didn’t hear the entire message as I ended the call.

Today I received a call on my mobile from an 0800 number. I was not expecting a call. I could have taken the advice above, but I don't believe it is correct. Luckily I didn't. As I didn't recognise the number I answered it and it was an important call from a car manufacturer's customer care department trying to sort out an issue. Also as frequently stated the calls sould be vital calls from doctors or hospitals. Don't answer potentially at your peril.

Stan63

I received 4 calls in quick succession last night after 11pm, all of them showing similar phone numbers to my own. I ignored them but they were all a couple of minutes apart and the number changed each time so obviously spam calls. It's annoying that they were so late at night when I was in bed.

Stan

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
I received 4 calls in quick succession last night after 11pm, all of them showing similar phone numbers to my own. I ignored them but they were all a couple of minutes apart and the number changed each time so obviously spam calls. It's annoying that they were so late at night when I was in bed.

Stan
I wonder if it could be the time difference between this country and the scam call centre thousands of miles away?

Stan63

I wonder if it could be the time difference between this country and the scam call centre thousands of miles away?
Maybe they are trying to catch people off guard by calling at that time. I've never had calls so late before so it's beyond annoying. I don't turn my mobile off at night as I have elderly relatives who are ill so I need to be available at quick notice.

Stan

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Maybe they are trying to catch people off guard by calling at that time. I've never had calls so late before so it's beyond annoying. I don't turn my mobile off at night as I have elderly relatives who are ill so I need to be available at quick notice.

Stan
If those running the said operation don't realise that telephone calls at that time of night in Britain are usually emergency-type calls, then they need a "good talking to" by those even higher up in the global criminal fraternity they work for ... <(

Things seem to have changed at the Amazon scam. My wife has been telling me that she has been getting calls from 'Daniel' at Amazon. This morning I picked it up (01256 number, Basingstoke). It is now a very stilted man's voice rather than the stilted American accented woman, but the content is much the same. Apparently it is something to do with an order for an i-phone 11. Still not convincing, and no chance of pressing 1.

pdeaves

Established Member
My wife had a 'real human' call purporting to be from Carphone Warehouse yesterday evening. As we have never had any dealing with C.W., she was immediately into 'scam mode' and asked the chap what he was having for dinner and would he like to share any of ours. The operative responded with some of the coarsest swearing we've encountered.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I got scam prize/survey/introductory offer type emails, all inviting me to win £100s, and supposedly from Tesco, Asda, Morrisons, and BT o_O all in the same batch of emails, perhaps sent over a 4 hour period.

I do use BT - and there are definitely days when their spam filters seem to give up for a bit, but why the heck can’t they filter scam stuff purporting to be from themselves?

John Webb

Established Member
In July my landline had some 18 unwanted calls, mostly from known scammers when I looked them up on the 'Who called me' website. (Not troubled by any of them as my 'Call Guardian' system stopped them getting through!). This August, so far, I've only received one! Are the scammers on holiday as well?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
In July my landline had some 18 unwanted calls, mostly from known scammers when I looked them up on the 'Who called me' website. (Not troubled by any of them as my 'Call Guardian' system stopped them getting through!). This August, so far, I've only received one! Are the scammers on holiday as well?
Perhaps there’s a complaints number for when they stop unexpectedly… :D

baz962

Established Member
Had another new one today. Email thanking me for my purchase at 450 us dollars of Norton software security. I don't remember that one. Full of typing errors and stating to call a number if I wish to cancel. Also that I will get a link in a few days.

BluePenguin

On Moderation
I had a call on the landline this afternoon from The Postcode Lottery. Apparently I had won some discount cards for meals out, cinema holidays and gift cards.

The anything I needed to do in order to receive these was to give my sort code and account number for them to verify my identity by putting one penny into my account :lol:

bearhugger

Just had a dodgey looking email from Morrisons on a day when I'm expecting a delivery from an online order.

"Delayed Delivery [ ref:_00DD0ojDb._5003z2OoKoH:ref ]
Morrisons Customer Service <[email protected]>
Fri 10/09/2021 11:28
Forward
Good afternoon,

Sadly due to an issue with one of our vans today, your delivery has been delayed by about 1.5 hours.

I am very sorry for any inconvenience this will cause you.

If you would prefer to cancel and re-book, please call us on 0345 611 6111 option 2, and you will be able to speak to an advisor. Please do not reply to this email as responses are not reviewed.

Thank you for your understanding.

Kind regards,

Peter
Customer Service
ref:_00DD0ojDb._5003z2OoKoH:ref"

Morrisons domain is different to the one i get from confirmation emails and the ref number looks odd too. And there's no way I'm ringing the 0345 number! I've contacted Morrisons on Twitter and sent a screenshot via DM so awaiting to see what they say.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Suspect that might actually be a genuine e-mail. 0345 number looks to be the right one.

bearhugger

Perhaps I'm being over paranoid, especially after reading this thread. But when I see a ref like the one I've quoted, more often than not it's on a blatant scam, and i'm not keen on ringing numbers from emails as again it's been mentioned on here that pressing "1" ends up being stung for x amount of money.
As an aside, I've often forwarded on dodgy looking emails that are supposed to be from my bank, and only one of them has been genuine marketing. I never click on links on emails that i suspect are phishing, I usually go onto the website and log on there to see (eg Paypal) if there's any issues with card details etc.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Best to be cautious. Still reckon though that the Morrisons e-mail you got is more likely (than not) to be a genuine one, given that you are expecting a delivery from them.

Whether the only telephone point of contact for Morrisons should just be an 0345 number, is another matter.

Typhoon

Established Member
Best to be cautious. Still reckon the Morrisons e-mail is more likely (than not) to be a genuine one.

Whether the only telephone point of contact for a firm is just an 0345 number, is another matter.
I've been trying to confirm that the e-mail address given in the OP for Morrisons Customer Service is correct. I've been directed to FAQs and a couple of others e-mail addresses, not that one. Companies could do a whole lot more to help protect people from scams by having some method of easily validating such messages. I've had to call Morrisons Customer Service about a month ago, I don't remember the call being picked up particularly quickly.

najaB

Veteran Member
0345 numbers should cost no more than a local call. They're included in many call plans.

bearhugger

I've been trying to confirm that the e-mail address given in the OP for Morrisons Customer Service is correct. I've been directed to FAQs and a couple of others e-mail addresses, not that one. Companies could do a whole lot more to help protect people from scams by having some method of easily validating such messages. I've had to call Morrisons Customer Service about a month ago, I don't remember the call being picked up particularly quickly.
I have to say i found getting an email to forward the email to for them to investigate quite a frustrating experience, hence going to twitter. Even after sending a screenshot in a DM and a question asking if I was expecting a delivery, answering yes then them saying 'That'll be it then' gave me the impression they hadn't really done a lot of investigating. They didn't really explain why the domain name was different from the regular emails i get or why the ref number looked a bit odd.

Typhoon

Established Member
0345 numbers should cost no more than a local call. They're included in many call plans.
True. It was the time I was kept waiting to be connected even though my call was probably important to them that was irritating, especially as it was their Manager's refusal to authorise a refund which meant I had to contact Customer Service for them to check my bill to see that I was entitled to money back. My refund was probably largely eaten up by my call charges. If I am being kept waiting on a Sunday afternoon, I reckon there is a fair chance it happens at other times too and in cases like that described a 15 - 20 minute wait when you suspect fraud can be pretty difficult.

I have to say i found getting an email to forward the email to for them to investigate quite a frustrating experience,
I found two, neither the ones in #1040.