• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A scam phone calls and emails discussion.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Suspect that might actually be a genuine e-mail. 0345 number looks to be the right one.

Presumably the real delivery has been subject to this predicted delay by now?

On the one occasion my Sainsbury delivery was going to be an hour late, it was a phone call from the van driver, and then a text that arrived just after the delayed van…

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

najaB

Veteran Member
Is that Morrisons' home delivery Customer Relationship Management operation?
Salesforce is one of the biggest providers of CRM software. Between that and SAP they're probably used in about 90% of large customer-facing businesses.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I am pleased to report that I have today “won a Morrison’s”.

I'm not sure which one it will be, especially if I have won a northern one, which wouldn’t be that convenient. :D

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
No I had those before, this is definitely the new cut down version where you get a whole shop… o_O
Well to be fair, the Morrison's group is currently subject to a potential takeover bid. Bound to be one or two stores being surplus to requirements for the new owners.

Typhoon

Established Member
Well to be fair, the Morrison's group is currently subject to a potential takeover bid. Bound to be one or two stores being surplus to requirements for the new owners.
'One or two ...' It's private equity so the business will be saddled with debt, they'll sell the freeholds to property companies (maybe that's what's on offer), award themselves big bonuses, push shopping on-line and try and sell out as soon as they can.

Incidentally @swt_passenger if its my local one, I've just checked my 'offers' - 10% off fruit and veg, not what you might call enticing! The hand sanitiser is always empty. You've got your work cut out.

Stan63

I have a Samsung mobile and it seems to be recognising and tagging potential spam calls now. It still rings but I get a warning next to the number showing. Pretty handy though.

Stan

najaB

Veteran Member
I have a Samsung mobile and it seems to be recognising and tagging potential spam calls now. It still rings but I get a warning next to the number showing. Pretty handy though.

Stan
Yeah, it's a feature of the latest Android versions, though not all manufacturers enable it.

PeterC

Established Member
Had my first false positives from BT Call Protect today. Two calls from my GP sent to 1572.

WelshBluebird

Established Member
Not a scam, but I've seen a Twitter thread this morning where someone's flat was forced into by police acting on incorrect info. The person wasn't in and came back to their flat with the door busted and a bit of mdf hanging try to cover the gap. The only evidence of what had happen was a scribbled few sentences on the back of an old envelope that was in the flat. To me I'm utterly shocked that this is how the police communicate such events. To me that sounds like a total scam / burglary attempt gone wrong, it certainly doesn't sound like anything official! So if that's what some official communication takes place I'm not surprised peolle fall for scams that rely on people buying into sometimes less than official looking letters / emails / texts etc.
Why would they want to enable that, might actually help people not get scammed!
Probably due to false hits.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Anyone else noticed a significant increase in emails concerning either Norton or McAfee subscriptions? They‘re so obviously scams it makes you wonder why the big email providers can’t strangle them at birth. “Notron” o_O should be easy to spot…

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Anyone else noticed a significant increase in emails concerning either Norton or McAfee subscriptions? They‘re so obviously scams it makes you wonder why the big email providers can’t strangle them at birth. “Notron” o_O should be easy to spot…

Yes, had about twenty of the McAfee ones. They seem to come in seasonal plagues, like flying ants

steamybrian

Established Member
Recent scam phone calls I have received are...
I have had are several similar messages recorded message "from Amazon" to tell me that £399 had been debited from my bank account for an iphone and if I did not order it to press 1.....
Recorded message from "my bank security" to tell me that a suspicious withdrawal of £899 had been made from my bank account and to press 1 to speak to an advisor.
Today I received a live call from an actual person saying that they could stop all unwanted calls for me. For security purposes they quoted an address (my old one from 15 years ago.!) but I said I had moved and gave them a false address...! (I should add that the false address I gave I have kept on file for such calls and had previously checked that it does not exist...!)

3rd rail land

I have had loads of the McAfee ones recently and a few of the Norton ones in the past as well. The irritating thing is they are sent from gmail addresses so I can't block the domain as I get genuine emails from gmail addresses.

dgl

Established Member
Looks like scam calls from abroad might be in for a spot of bother, with OfCOM requiring networks to block any calls from abroad that spoof a UK phone number.

BBC News said:
Major phone networks have agreed to automatically block almost all internet calls coming from abroad if they pretend to be from UK numbers, Ofcom has confirmed.
Criminals have been using internet-based calling technology to make it look like a phone call or text is coming from a real telephone number.
Almost 45 million consumers were targeted by phone scams this summer.
Ofcom said it expected the measures to be introduced at pace as a "priority".
So far, one operator has already implemented the new plans, the regulator told the BBC, while other phone networks are still exploring methods of making it work.
"We've been working with telecoms companies to implement technical solutions, including blocking at source, suspicious international calls that are masked by a UK number," said Lindsey Fussell, Ofcom's networks and communications group director.
"We expect these measures to be introduced as a priority, and at pace, to ensure customers are better protected."
She added that tackling the phone scams issue was a "complex problem" that requires a coordinated effort from the police, government, other regulators and industry.
The move follows months of discussions between Ofcom and the UK telecoms industry.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
In the Amazon recorded voice £399.00 scam, have the criminals re-recorded the female American voice to be (a) much louder and (b) much of a harsh and harder tonal type?

I did not make any answer as usual, but for the first time, the scam call was from a number (that does not exist) in my local exchange rather than the usual Slough area exchange so favoured by the criminals, as I found out when checking the number calling me.

najaB

Veteran Member
In the Amazon recorded voice £399.00 scam, have the criminals re-recorded the female American voice to be (a) much louder and (b) much of a harsh and harder tonal type?
I suspect that, rather than a single group of miscreants being responsible for all the calls, it is much more likely that there are several groups all perpetrating variations on what has turned out to be a lucrative scheme. Hence each will have their own version of the aforementioned recording.
Looks like scam calls from abroad might be in for a spot of bother, with OfCOM requiring networks to block any calls from abroad that spoof a UK phone number.
This may not be as positive a development as it initially appears since (a) it won't stop calls with withheld numbers; and (b) it won't stop calls that actually enter the phone network from a gateway located in the UK.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I have had loads of the McAfee ones recently and a few of the Norton ones in the past as well. The irritating thing is they are sent from gmail addresses so I can't block the domain as I get genuine emails from gmail addresses.
Still no end to the “anti virus” renewal based emails. Had 3 McAfee just this morning. Every one gets marked as spam and blocked, but as you say blocking the gmail domain is stopping genuine emails.

Last edited:

Typhoon

Established Member

It featured on 'You and Yours' (R4) this lunchtime (25/10).

The reporter, Shari Vahl, is usually pretty good on this things. A couple of quotes:
I spoke to BT this morning and another network provider and they were a bit surprised about the news that has come out an they are checking to see what impact it will actually have.
And
Now, OfCom told me this morning in a statement that tackling this complex problem requires a co-ordinated effort from the police, the government, other regulators and the industry
So, it looks like calls from 'Your bank', 'Your internet provider', 'Amazon' and co are with us from yet a while.

Ms Vahl even played a recording she had with a 'Carphone Warehouse' caller from Kolkata Redruth.

The Ham

Established Member
Ms Vahl even played a recording she had with a 'Carphone Warehouse' caller from Kolkata Redruth

With family in that neck of the woods (not Kolkata), it would be fairly unlikely that the member of staff who called me from "Redruth" would have an Indian accent (not impossible, but fairly unlikely).

Typhoon

Established Member
With family in that neck of the woods (not Kolkata), it would be fairly unlikely that the member of staff who called me from "Redruth" would have an Indian accent (not impossible, but fairly unlikely).
About as unlikely as the 'Senior Supervisor' for (the now defunct brand name) Carphone Warehouse would be phoning someone from a fairly small town in Cornwall; worse still, he did not know that was where he was (not) phoning from!

Unfortunately, people believe them!

Ediswan

Established Member
About as unlikely as the 'Senior Supervisor' for (the now defunct brand name) Carphone Warehouse would be phoning someone from a fairly small town in Cornwall; worse still, he did not know that was where he was (not) phoning from!
Not a sure sign of bad intent though. Where people are WFH, using an employer supplied VOIP system, the area code they appear to be calling from will be that chosen by the employer.