• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Abellio Greater Anglia Class 755s (Regional Trains)

dk1

Veteran Member
One final question does anyone have any photos of the different interiors like a side by side view of each type to show the differences of the interiors ? Oh and one other my apologies ( I suffer brainfig due to severe health issues hence I tend to write longer to try explain what I'm meaning or asking about ) but the actual numbers on most units in the UK are usually on the front or side of the cab , but I see on the stadlers it's the last three numbers ? Which given they look alike can be confusing

The three digit numbering is quite straight forward.

0 = Intercity (745)
1 = Stansted Express (745)
3 = 3-car (755)
4 = 4-car (755)

Unit numbers are then

0 = 001-010
1 = 101-110
3 = 325-338
4 = 401-424

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

chubs

I like the stadlers but I do get it, the few times I got the train from Norwich to Milton Keynes, the ambiance on the pendolino is different, end doors, toilets at the end and cabin doors shut compared to the 745s. Generally I think one of the things is that the internal door are generally open, the other impression is that the seat layout (don't ask me why I get this impression) is more squeeze every seat possible in which gives the impression of commuter stock, it might also be the double doors and level entry and the fact each coach isn't an individual compartment in the same way.

Having travelled on the clapped out mk2's, clapped out mk3's and now the 745's the Stadlers are superior in every way. The middle doors and lack of old fashioned vestibule don't even register.

I wouldn't be bothered if the buffet was gone either, I used it regularly maybe 20 years ago but times have changed and the offering from outside stations and even in station concourses is so much better quality wise. A cold drink is nice on a summers day though.

trebor79

Established Member
And on top of that the 745 fleet has additional (unnecessary in my opinion) internal doors too. Most have been isolated by the software as default since Covid but can be overridden much to the annoyance of catering staff.
Ah, so that's why they are hardly ever closed! FWIW as a passenger I do prefer it when they are closed as it makes for a cosier feeling and also shuts out some noise.
Having travelled on the clapped out mk2's, clapped out mk3's and now the 745's the Stadlers are superior in every way. The middle doors and lack of old fashioned vestibule don't even register.

I wouldn't be bothered if the buffet was gone either, I used it regularly maybe 20 years ago but times have changed and the offering from outside stations and even in station concourses is so much better quality wise. A cold drink is nice on a summers day though.
Buffet offering seems to be being slowly downgraded. No porridge any more, for example.
I can still remember breakfast in the Mk2 restaurant coaches. Now *that* was a treat!

RailWonderer

Established Member
And on top of that the 745 fleet has additional (unnecessary in my opinion) internal doors too. Most have been isolated by the software as default since Covid but can be overridden much to the annoyance of catering staff.
Unnecessary but nice when they are in order as the coach feels more like a compartment.
Ah, so that's why they are hardly ever closed! FWIW as a passenger I do prefer it when they are closed as it makes for a cosier feeling and also shuts out some noise.

Buffet offering seems to be being slowly downgraded. No porridge any more, for example.
I can still remember breakfast in the Mk2 restaurant coaches. Now *that* was a treat!
They still do sandwiches, pastries, victoria sponge, fruits and crisps. Equal to LNER in my view and far ahead of GWR catering.

dk1

Veteran Member
They still do sandwiches, pastries, victoria sponge, fruits and crisps. Equal to LNER in my view and far ahead of GWR catering.
All day breakfast ciabatas too.

Vestibule doors almost always closed on 755s.

Last edited:

Peter Sarf

Established Member
@EIKN The 810s have slightly shorter coaches than other IETs so that two five car sets can fit in the platforms at St Pancrass. Its all in the Class 810 thread.

The 755s are indeed very nice units and the 231s TfW have are along the same lines. The 745s are a good fit for the 2 hour Norwich trip.

Don't get hung up on intercity coaches having to have end doors - was not always like that. The 745s have too many other advantages that would be compromised if the doors were at coach ends - low floor means the wheels get in the way of level boarding !.

Stadler have a good reputation but do cost more money apparently. I would prefer Stadler quality, even though I am tight fisted, as reliability has a value.

Adrian1980uk

@EIKN The 810s have slightly shorter coaches than other IETs so that two five car sets can fit in the platforms at St Pancrass. Its all in the Class 810 thread.

The 755s are indeed very nice units and the 231s TfW have are along the same lines. The 745s are a good fit for the 2 hour Norwich trip.

Don't get hung up on intercity coaches having to have end doors - was not always like that. The 745s have too many other advantages that would be compromised if the doors were at coach ends - low floor means the wheels get in the way of level boarding !.

Stadler have a good reputation but do cost more money apparently. I would prefer Stadler quality, even though I am tight fisted, as reliability has a value.

The 745s have lots of advantages given the Norwich to London is only 2 hours and there aren't very many decent stretches without stations.

GA are putting on a good service and I know I for one prefer a reliable service compared to the WCML for example.
Only criticism is the consistency of product isn't there on the IC or Stansted runs but there are no easy (cheap) answers to that as has been discussed many times.

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Ask Merseyrail about Stadler reliability...
The 777s seem to be an odd one out and it is strange that similar Stadler products have not displayed the same issues. I think there is something about the way the customer wanted (specified) them that is causing problems.
With any new train, reliability takes time to build up.
Very true, especially with more modern trains.

dk1

Veteran Member
The 777s seem to be an odd one out and it is strange that similar Stadler products have not displayed the same issues. I think there is something about the way the customer wanted (specified) them that is causing problems.

Very true, especially with more modern trains.

Maybe why there is no enthusiasm for fitting batteries to 755325-38.

Are there times when these units have a diesel only restriction imposed on them? Is it something that’s rare or quite common?

dk1

Veteran Member
Are there times when these units have a diesel only restriction imposed on them? Is it something that’s rare or quite common?

Not really. Only if it’s a 755/3 with an isolated pantograph. The 755/4s have two.

Railperf

Established Member
A quick question: are there any particular routes where a 755/3 only can be used or are the 755/3 and 4's cleared on all routes?
Am I right in understanding that Norwich to Stansted/ Cambridge and Ipswich to Cambridge are preferably diagrammed as 4-cara, with 3-car units concentrated in Marks Tey to Sudbury, Ipswich to Lowestoft and Norwich to Lowestoft, Yarmouth, Sheringham?

dk1

Veteran Member
A quick question: are there any particular routes where a 755/3 only can be used or are the 755/3 and 4's cleared on all routes?
Am I right in understanding that Norwich to Stansted/ Cambridge and Ipswich to Cambridge are preferably diagrammed as 4-cara, with 3-car units concentrated in Marks Tey to Sudbury, Ipswich to Lowestoft and Norwich to Lowestoft, Yarmouth, Sheringham?
Only restriction is the Sudbury branch which us 755/3 only. Yes they try to keep 4-cars on Cambridge services but operational requirements don't always permit it.

Railperf

Established Member
Interesting. Provided today's allocations stay the same .... it looks as though four 755/3's and seven 755/4's are spare or undergoing maintenance. That is despite three units being used on a Liverpool Street to Norwich diagram all day. Also looks like one Stansted diagram is being filled by 720's today too.
Seems like a pair of 745/1's (104,105) and a pair of 745/0's (001 and 007) also on depot / spare.

Last edited:

dk1

Veteran Member
755336 is long term out of service & will need to return to Bussnang following an altercation with a tree.

Things are much better now there is only one daily triple traction. Some days no spares were available when six were allocated to main line duties each day.

Railperf

Established Member
Good to see majority of Stansted units actually on Stansted's so far today. No IC units currently booked on Stansteds according to RTT, and only one Stansted unit on the GEML (101) though that can easily change.

Bikeman78

Established Member
Interesting. Provided today's allocations stay the same .... it looks as though four 755/3's and seven 755/4's are spare or undergoing maintenance. That is despite three units being used on a Liverpool Street to Norwich diagram all day. Also looks like one Stansted diagram is being filled by 720's today too.
Seems like a pair of 745/1's (104,105) and a pair of 745/0's (001 and 007) also on depot / spare.
One Stansted diagram is booked for 720s. So there are eight 745s to Stansted, nine to Norwich, with the 10th Norwich diagram being covered by 755s.

Railperf

Established Member
One Stansted diagram is booked for 720s. So there are eight 745s to Stansted, nine to Norwich, with the 10th Norwich diagram being covered by 755s.
Looks like a 7 - 755/3 and 755/4 car combo going out on the 1932 NRW to LST now

RailWonderer

Established Member
The installation of tables I presume is so that they can axe that triple 755 and replace it with a 745/1 once tables are installed and use the 755s for regional spares and stick another 720 on Stansted.

Adrian1980uk

The installation of tables I presume is so that they can axe that triple 755 and replace it with a 745/1 once tables are installed and use the 755s for regional spares and stick another 720 on Stansted.
Partly, I'm cinical and expecting the addition of tables suddenly makes 745/1 InterCity standard and you'll see all the 745s interchangable.

Railperf

Established Member
Actually the 1932 NRW to LST and 2200 LST to Ipswich are booked for a pair of 755's too. Not sure why it terminates there because the ECS carries on to Norwich anyhow.

dk1

Veteran Member
Actually the 1932 NRW to LST and 2200 LST to Ipswich are booked for a pair of 755's too. Not sure why it terminates there because the ECS carries on to Norwich anyhow.

It runs as DOO from Liverpool St hence why it terminates. From June the 19:32 is withdrawn & the 22:00 becomes a 720.

Railperf

Established Member
It runs as DOO from Liverpool St hence why it terminates. From June the 19:32 is withdrawn & the 22:00 becomes a 720.
Is the 22:00 DOO for staffing reasons? Are they planning a new 1930 service Norwich to replace the 19:32?