• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Abellio Greater Anglia Class 755s (Regional Trains)

StephenHunter

Established Member
Modern Railways Spanner Awards just announced

755/4 won a GOLD

745/0 won a SILVER

755/3 won a BRONZE

Excellent work from all involved at GA/Stadler in constantly improving this brand new fleet of trains to the UK over the last 2-3 years. TfW have lots to look forward to.
No longer Basils, that's for sure.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Isn't 4tph overkill for the Stansted route post-Covid, post austerity era?
I don't think so - I've seen several Stansted services recently which were full in every carriage, so they're barely coping with the reduced service level and really need to revert to the full timetable as soon as possible.

RailWonderer

Established Member
I don't think so - I've seen several Stansted services recently which were full in every carriage, so they're barely coping with the reduced service level and really need to revert to the full timetable as soon as possible.
Several Stansted services have run as 720s recently. They are good cattle trucks for the Harlow and Stortford commuters. The suitcase hauling airport lot are an afterthought. There aren't enough serviceable 745s for 4tph.

dk1

Veteran Member

Me too. Many of those 12-cars running twice (occasionally thrice) hourly are extremely well loaded to/from Liverpool St so even worse after Tottenham Hale. Doesn’t seem to be much in the way of austerity.

Stansted Apt management keen to see service back to 4TPH

Not sure if 745s could cope with 9 diagrams, 2x720 out today and few other days recently

Bikeman78

Established Member
Or length of time away from home depot?
That's no excuse. With only five diagrams they should theoretically only have five days between visits. Of course, 745103 always jumps the queue, though it usually runs back ECS after failing. The 317s managed to start and end at Cambridge for days, sometimes weeks, on end without failing.

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Absolutely, congrats to the people at Crown Point for all the work done on them. For the first of their kind in the UK Stadler have certainly done very well. They are always such a joy to travel on, although I still trip up now and again in the sloped aisles because of the low floor high floor layout. Great for level boarding though.

All depened on how close to pre Covid levels the air travel at Stansted is ?.

Not sure if 745s could cope with 9 diagrams, 2x720 out today and few other days recently
Love it "to support sustainable travel options" - I presume the ground level travel to/from Stansted airport. We wont worry about the up in the air bit then !.

On a practical note. I picked up from Modern Railways that 20 of the class 720s are (rumoured ?) to be surplus and hoping for a sub contract to another TOC. Makes sense to convert some of these surplus 720s to Stanstead Express units. That would then leave enough 745s for non-airport work. Obviously meaningless until all the 720s are accepted and the 755s are fully employed.

Last edited:

Bikeman78

Established Member
Several Stansted services have run as 720s recently. They are good cattle trucks for the Harlow and Stortford commuters. The suitcase hauling airport lot are an afterthought. There aren't enough serviceable 745s for 4tph.
Agreed. The peak trains are full of commuters to Harlow and Stortford. When a pair of 317s stood in for a 745 they were rammed on the 1654 and 1909 departures. Should be plenty of 720s to fill in now though. Has a 755 ever done a Stansted Express run?

dk1

Veteran Member
Agreed. The peak trains are full of commuters to Harlow and Stortford. When a pair of 317s stood in for a 745 they were rammed on the 1654 and 1909 departures. Should be plenty of 720s to fill in now though. Has a 755 ever done a Stansted Express run?
I don’t think so. Plenty have done Liverpool St to the Airport on testing runs & still do however.

chubs

No. In summer 2022 Stansted did 90% of pre covid traffic:

It should have gone back to 4tph from this summer in an ideal world. I was there, it was heaving.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Just a gentle reminder this thread is a traction & rolling stock thread about class 755 trains

Please use other forum sections to discuss other subjects, such as infrastructure or timetabling matters, or any posts of a speculative nature.

If you see something start to off topic and wish to reply to it, please don't reply in the wrong thread; instead please reply in the relevant forum section, and feel free to post a link to any such thread from here.

Class 170101

Established Member

Perhaps Stansted Airport should pay for it. However unless 9 diagrams each for IC and Stansted work then it seems unlikely that Class 755s will be leaving IC work anytime soon.
I doubt they would be happy to bankroll the funding that would be needed to pay for it.
Inclined to agree. Though perhaps they could get Ian Yeowart to get the 30 Class 379s back into service and use them on the opposing 15 minutes if the DfT / Treasury keep messing about.

chubs

Why should Stansted Airport pay for it? Did they pay when it used to be 4tph?

Presumably the reduction was due to covid, and as Stansted is now pretty much back to pre covid levels this is a sensible service to return to pre covid levels.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Why should Stansted Airport pay for it? Did they pay when it used to be 4tph?

Presumably the reduction was due to covid, and as Stansted is now pretty much back to pre covid levels this is a sensible service to return to pre covid levels.

There’s two issues about the Stansted express:

1) it is (by some distance) the most lucrative flow that GA operate ( on a ‘£revenue per £cost’ basis).
2) the capacity of the WAML corridor.

Re (1), with the capacity of the new trains, they can get almost all the revenue for a little over half the cost.

Re (2), reinstating the final two paths puts the WAML back up to 100% capacity in terms of paths, which will immediately cause a significant fall in punctuality. (Which in turn also suppresses wider demand).

RailWonderer

Established Member
Re (2), reinstating the final two paths puts the WAML back up to 100% capacity in terms of paths, which will immediately cause a significant fall in punctuality. (Which in turn also suppresses wider demand).
Although I am a GE user I remember pre-Covid at Liverpool St the WA was horrific for delays because of the 2tph Cambridge, the 2tph Hertford East, the 4tph Stansteds, and the Stratford Bishops Stortford clogging up the two track line, it was too full. I agree it should not return, instead 10 car 720s should be used instead of 745s. If they use 745s they should stick them to the fast that does not call at Harlow or Tottenham Hale (or remove the Hale call) and run them non-stop to Stortford.

Anyway this is way off topic for the 755s. Is there any plan to put 755s on GE diagrams in future timetables or is it just one Norwich IC diagram? If they are testing 4 3 3 and 4 4 3 multiples they must have some plan. Just asking.

dk1

Veteran Member
Although I am a GE user I remember pre-Covid at Liverpool St the WA was horrific for delays because of the 2tph Cambridge, the 2tph Hertford East, the 4tph Stansteds, and the Stratford Bishops Stortford clogging up the two track line, it was too full. I agree it should not return, instead 10 car 720s should be used instead of 745s. If they use 745s they should stick them to the fast that does not call at Harlow or Tottenham Hale (or remove the Hale call) and run them non-stop to Stortford.

Anyway this is way off topic for the 755s. Is there any plan to put 755s on GE diagrams in future timetables or is it just one Norwich IC diagram? If they are testing 4 3 3 and 4 4 3 multiples they must have some plan. Just asking.

No plans to use them on GE apart from the odd Harwich Town or Braintree.

Shwam3

3 x 4 car operation is expected to start on the booked 1132 ex- Norwich & return this week.
It will be 10 car using 3 + 3 + 4 rather than 12 car.

From May 2023 there will be one 10 car (3+3+4) diagram and one 7 car (3+4) diagram running Norwich - Liverpool St all day.

Adrian1980uk

It will be 10 car using 3 + 3 + 4 rather than 12 car.

From May 2023 there will be one 10 car (3+3+4) diagram and one 7 car (3+4) diagram running Norwich - Liverpool St all day.
Is this due to an increase in frequency or the need to move 745s to increase Stansted to 4tph

Shwam3

Is this due to an increase in frequency or the need to move 745s to increase Stansted to 4tph
I believe its mostly because of Stansted going back to 4tph, plus re-introduction of Norwich in 90 services and a desire to reduce 745/1 use on IC services.

chubs

Not really convinced 3x 755 is better than 1x745/1 on the intercity service, or that Nin90 needs to return.

trebor79

Established Member
Not really convinced 3x 755 is better than 1x745/1 on the intercity service, or that Nin90 needs to return.
The 755s have tables I guess.
Agree the NiN vanity project is of questionable value.

dk1

Veteran Member
The 755s have tables I guess.
Agree the NiN vanity project is of questionable value.
The 19:02 ex-Liverpool St has been ridiculously busy of late. Many guards have said how much the 19:00 would help. Be very welcome to have a morning fast train too. There's nothing at the moment.

trebor79

Established Member
The 19:02 ex-Liverpool St has been ridiculously busy of late. Many guards have said how much the 19:00 would help. Be very welcome to have a morning fast train too. There's nothing at the moment.
That is true I guess.
Loadings do seem to have picked up a bit, almost back to pre pandemic at some times of day.
I was just never that convinced about the NiN in the first place, an extra train with the normal stopping pattern would have been more useful IMO.

Alfie1014

I wonder if that may be to do with it being the post peak train, trains earlier in the peak seem less well loaded and the 18:10 is still missing?

Halish Railway

Established Member
That is true I guess.
Loadings do seem to have picked up a bit, almost back to pre pandemic at some times of day.
I was just never that convinced about the NiN in the first place, an extra train with the normal stopping pattern would have been more useful IMO.
Maybe once all the Dusty Bins have been replaced by Aventras, Greater Anglia will use the opportunity to re-write the timetable as facilitated by the improved performance of Aventras and FLIRTS over their predecessors to recast the GEML timetable to include a regular 3tph to Norwich. Super-fast Norwich in 90 runs may not be possible, although I’d say that more stops at Colchester and Stratford may be more desirable.