• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Abellio Online Assesment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slinky252

As much as I am hoping for this time frame, I find it hard to believe. I've heard they had approx 6100 applicants vs 1500 (average) in previous recruitment phases.

If they are 'cut throat' with shortlisting then possibly we could hear sooner but who knows?! The wait continues...

Just wondering how do you know that they received 6100 this time and an average (1500) amount last time ?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Skies2rail

Just wondering how do you know that they received 6100 this time and an average (1500) amount last time ?

Its a long one! A mate of mine has a relative on the inside that said the CEO recently put out a message in ref to the recruitment. A few people have quoted the 6k figure on these forums also..

You’ve also got to consider that presently no psychometric testing or in person interviews are being held at WMT due to covid, even current trainees aren’t able to attend their classes.

Coach Carter

Its a long one! A mate of mine has a relative on the inside that said the CEO recently put out a message in ref to the recruitment. A few people have quoted the 6k figure on these forums also..
Yer in our weekly MD update he said it’s over 6000 applications this time.
I’m sure someone told me it was around 5000 last year but I couldn’t say for definite on that one.

Skies2rail

Yer in our weekly MD update he said it’s over 6000 applications this time.
I’m sure someone told me it was around 5000 last year but I couldn’t say for definite on that one.

Thanks for clarifying.. I was beginning to second guess myself - Could I have been lied to?!? But thanks.. gona just ride the wave and see how things go.. its obvious they've got a huge task on their hands!

Coach Carter

Thanks for clarifying.. I was beginning to second guess myself - Could I have been lied to?!? But thanks.. gona just ride the wave and see how things go.. its obvious they've got a huge task on their hands!
Yer best thing you can do is just carry on with your life in between the different application stages.

Garfield

Anyone got any update from their application? No news yet from Abellio...
From reading back through this thread to the last recruitment it took roughly three weeks to hear if you'd passed. It seems the only people to have found out didn't pass so fingers crossed for no news is good news.

Slinky252

Sticking my neck out here but If last years recruitment anything to go by , you should hear you have passed sjt, and that they will be now sifting applications this week. I’m actually going to call either tomorrow or Tuesday. If I’m wrong it’s probably because they have had more applications this time around !!!( easy get out clause) fingers crossed we hear this week. All the best guys

Withoutabix

Sticking my neck out here but If last years recruitment anything to go by , you should hear you have passed sjt, and that they will be now sifting applications this week. I’m actually going to call either tomorrow or Tuesday. If I’m wrong it’s probably because they have had more applications this time around !!!( easy get out clause) fingers crossed we hear this week. All the best guys

Your wasting your time calling buddy it’s a long process if you can’t contain the urge to call after two Weeks then good luck for the next 12months or so you’ll likely drive yourself insane..

You’ll get an email when they’re ready to update you, calling isn’t going to speed up the process or improve your chances of progressing

Slinky252

Your wasting your time calling buddy it’s a long process if you can’t contain the urge to call after two Weeks then good luck for the next 12months or so you’ll likely drive yourself insane..

You’ll get an email when they’re ready to update you, calling isn’t going to speed up the process or improve your chances of progressing
Hello buddy, when I read my post back, I see what you mean. I don’t mean to physically call them, I meant calling it that we here a reply this week early. Thank you though. I know it can be a very long process, I think it even said last time in one of my friends emails up to 5 years. But hopefully none of us if successful will wait that long.

Withoutabix

Hello buddy, when I read my post back, I see what you mean. I don’t mean to physically call them, I meant calling it that we here a reply this week early. Thank you though. I know it can be a very long process, I think it even said last time in one of my friends emails up to 5 years. But hopefully none of us if successful will wait that long.

Ye missing the “it” changes that sentence quite a lot haha

dev_27

Got my email that they will get back to me by September... Any experts throw some light on this? Any positive sign here??

Coach Carter

Got my email that they will get back to me by September... Any experts throw some light on this? Any positive sign here??
They were happy with your SJT so now your through to ‘the paper sift’. Now they will go through all the applications by hand of the people that got past the SJT and choose who they want to send for testing, or interview if you already have test results. A lot of applications to get through so that’s why it takes so long. Was a similar amount of time fir them to sort out this stage last year when I did it.
Best of luck bud.

FastTrax

so since there was only one job advert, does it mean they are only looking for one driver?

edit. got a reply in teh WMT thread saying they would never advertise for a single trainee so now at least our chance have increased from one in 6000 to one in 600 hoping they are hiring at least ten drivers lol

Last edited:
so since there was only one job advert, does it mean they are only looking for one driver?

edit. got a reply in teh WMT thread saying they would never advertise for a single trainee so now at least our chance have increased from one in 6000 to one in 600 hoping they are hiring at least ten drivers lol

Even if there is no immediate role, you can be placed in a pool, meaning you can be called up any time within 5 years after completing your psychometric testing, due to the validity of the tests expiring after that amount of time.

Anthony R

Howdy all. Currently in the abellio trainee train driver process, awaiting results from the SJT and application. SJT Seemed fine, not sure what other answers they could possibly have wanted. Rushed my app a bit as I only found the role last minute, so could probably have given better answers with more flashy keywords but we wait and see I guess. I think they could have managed this whole thing a little better and smoother, a lot of waiting around.

Whats the view on assessment day, do they use the dots or the shapes for the GBT, also regarding the flashy image one are the choices the same each time, ie, you know what you need to look for each time. Eg, pedestrian, car, motorbike, cyclist etc.

Howdy all. Currently in the abellio trainee train driver process, awaiting results from the SJT and application. SJT Seemed fine, not sure what other answers they could possibly have wanted. Rushed my app a bit as I only found the role last minute, so could probably have given better answers with more flashy keywords but we wait and see I guess. I think they could have managed this whole thing a little better and smoother, a lot of waiting around.

Whats the view on assessment day, do they use the dots or the shapes for the GBT, also regarding the flashy image one are the choices the same each time, ie, you know what you need to look for each time. Eg, pedestrian, car, motorbike, cyclist etc.

Please consider the fact that thousands of people apply to the trainee driver role, there is not much better and smoother one can do when they have such a high volume.

You must also consider that currently, as of last news, all current trainee classes are suspended, no psychometric testing is taking place nor DMI’s being held at Abellio, I am hoping everyday that will change soon as I am at the last stage, but as someone who has been waiting for almost 2 years, if you have no patience for waiting you’re gonna have a bad time, it’s a long road ahead.

As for the psychometric testing, they use the dots, clusters of 4 are highlighted, on paper.

The items you need to highlight for the ATAVT (flashing images) are the same 5 items each time, you only need to assess whether they are present in the image or not.

I’d personally imagine, you should not expect an invite to the psychometrics for at least a year though if you pass the sift.

Anthony R

Please consider the fact that thousands of people apply to the trainee driver role, there is not much better and smoother one can do when they have such a high volume.

You must also consider that currently, as of last news, all current trainee classes are suspended, no psychometric testing is taking place nor DMI’s being held at Abellio, I am hoping everyday that will change soon as I am at the last stage, but as someone who has been waiting for almost 2 years, if you have no patience for waiting you’re gonna have a bad time, it’s a long road ahead.

As for the psychometric testing, they use the dots, clusters of 4 are highlighted, on paper.

The items you need to highlight for the ATAVT (flashing images) are the same 5 items each time, you only need to assess whether they are present in the image or not.

I’d personally imagine, you should not expect an invite to the psychometrics for at least a year though if you pass the sift.

Evening Mr lightening, Read me like a book dark lightening, I'm certainly an impatient fellow, but not here this time. Instead I thought with so many applications they would have been better automatically sifting by using online psychometric etc, could have reduced their labour now significantly etc. But anyway, that's beside the point, you have been waiting nearly two years? What for? The final interview? So I suppose when you have and pass that you are then put in a talent pool? Well, I'm not being obtuse when I say this, why are they hiring people now, spending all this time and money with 6000 applications when they clearly have a huge talent pool to pick from already. The pool must be full to bursting if you are having to wait two years to just get into it?what are your thoughts about that?

Many thanks re the tests, plenty of time to swot up then I suppose ha.

Evening Mr lightening, Read me like a book dark lightening, I'm certainly an impatient fellow, but not here this time. Instead I thought with so many applications they would have been better automatically sifting by using online psychometric etc, could have reduced their labour now significantly etc. But anyway, that's beside the point, you have been waiting nearly two years? What for? The final interview? So I suppose when you have and pass that you are then put in a talent pool? Well, I'm not being obtuse when I say this, why are they hiring people now, spending all this time and money with 6000 applications when they clearly have a huge talent pool to pick from already. The pool must be full to bursting if you are having to wait two years to just get into it?what are your thoughts about that?

Many thanks re the tests, plenty of time to swot up then I suppose ha.

There is no such thing as online psychometrics, they are all handled by a organisation called the OPC (Occupational Psychology Centre) they must be done in person, and each test costs the TOC money, whether you pass or fail, and they are highly regulated by law, fail them twice and you’re locked out for life.

I got my invite to the DMI (final interview) in March, but it was cancelled due to Covid-19, awaiting rescheduling when we move towards reopening the economy fully.

You could be put into a pool, or pulled up rather rapidly, the needs of the TOC can change in the fly, the idea is that they recruit enough to cover the amount of drivers assumed to be leaving in a typical year, I certainly wouldn’t imagine their pool to be bursting at the seams.
Due to Covid they’re likely actually fairly behind schedule on recruitment.

Anthony R

There is no such thing as online psychometrics, they are all handled by a organisation called the OPC (Occupational Psychology Centre) they must be done in person, and each test costs the TOC money, whether you pass or fail, and they are highly regulated by law, fail them twice and you’re locked out for life.

I got my invite to the DMI (final interview) in March, but it was cancelled due to Covid-19, awaiting rescheduling when we move towards reopening the economy fully.

You could be put into a pool, or pulled up rather rapidly, the needs of the TOC can change in the fly, the idea is that they recruit enough to cover the amount of drivers assumed to be leaving in a typical year, I certainly wouldn’t imagine their pool to be bursting at the seams.

OK somewhat encouraging then. Many thanks. One final question. What's your background before applying here of its not to an invasive question? I see many police and firefighters applying.

Last edited:

Wba0986

Hi lightning, I'm in the same boat as you, dmi was due 2 days after lockdown, have you had any interaction with recruitment since?

OK somewhat encouraging then. Many thanks. One final question. What's your background before applying here of its not to an invasive question? I see many police and firefighters applying.

I currently work in data management for HS2.

Hi lightning, I'm in the same boat as you, dmi was due 2 days after lockdown, have you had any interaction with recruitment since?

A minor interaction with Abi about 2.5 months ago, said she had no clue when they would reschedule but are assessing constantly.

Wba0986

I currently work in data management for HS2.

A minor interaction with Abi about 2.5 months ago, said she had no clue when they would reschedule but are assessing constantly.
Similar to me then. Hopefully in the next few months the interviews start again with a start date sometime early middle next year

Anthony R

I applied elsewhere 4 weeks ago and have already been given an interview date. Still nothing from abellio though so for me I'm pulling out from abellio. Good luck every one hope they speed up for you all.

Edit: albeit an online interview.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.