• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Abellio wins West Midlands franchise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
We are both thinking the same way except Anglia Aventras are all 24m+ (with the driving cars about a foot longer than the intermediate cars)

24m, then :) 24m is fine on the WCML, the Pendolinos are 24m intermediate, 25m end vehicles despite being nominally referred to as 23m.

Even if they do go for 3+2 (though the announcement regarding standing space makes it sound more likely that they will be 2+2 but with narrow seats and wide aisles a la Class 700 or indeed 319) the Anglia ones look way better than 350/2s.

5-car is probably not a bad addition to the mix, there are plenty of off peak services where 4 is insufficient but 8 overkill. Has certainly worked on the Southern trains via Kenny O, where 5-car on most trains with one 8-car diagram running the 0700ish from MKC and the 1711 from East Croydon (and probably another return working lunchtime-ish unless it goes elsewhere) has basically solved the overcrowding issue. Though having more than one[1] type of train (presumably incompatible) will complicate diagramming.

[1] OK, there are 100 and 110mph Desiros, but the Northern-esque random Desiro generator often mixes them up. The only thing you can be certain will stay on the right diagrams (if they work at all given their terrible unreliability) is the 319s.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sd0733

Established Member
It would make some sense to offload the 170s in my opinion with the 80 coaches for Snow Hill releasing some 172s to cover the Shrewsbury, worcester and possibly Marston vale work as the internal layout of the 170s and their poor acceleration just isn't suited to the work they do on the West mids local routes.

HLE

Established Member
So the proposed doubling of services on Nuneaton to Coventry to 2 tph is confirmed - but only when the bay is constructed at Coventry.

The interesting part is 3 trains per hour on Saturdays - completely unnecessary unless a game is on at the Ricoh. Fresh air being carted around at any other time. An earlier service during the week is a surprise, but the later one is welcomed.

It's seems a pretty good guess that the 153's will remain operating on the line, with the recent refurb on 334 it's looking more likely as the weeks go by.

Last edited:

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
153s won't be any use on their own because a 2019 compliant bog will remove too many seats. So I doubt they will stay long term unless formed into permanent pairs (i.e. 155s).

Surprised at the colour scheme not including Abellio red and being more like the existing LM one plus the orange. Is that because of the proposed generic WM livery perhaps? The font is definitely Abellio though.

Last edited:

Mordac

Established Member
As someone in the LM Area (Northampton, soon to be commuting to Coventry), while this doesn't deliver my wish of having some Northampton services go up the Trent Valley for better national connectivity northbound, it's nice to see that Govia lost (maybe the invisible guards will start showing their faces more often now), that Porterbrook's gamble backfired (although I don't have anything against the 323s), and that there will be some new DMUs. I do hope all the 319s, 150s, and 153s go.

hwl

Established Member
Do we know if this announcement provides a home for the 707s? Could be the X City or WCML South is about to meet the unreliable junkheaps that are a 700 series Ironing Bord fitted EMU?
The text on DfT' s map page says:
investment in more than 100 brand new electric carriages introduced from 2020 specially designed and dedicated to the cross city line in Birmingham

Given it says Brand new and not just new this almost certainly won't be the 707s.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
It would make some sense to offload the 170s in my opinion with the 80 coaches for Snow Hill releasing some 172s to cover the Shrewsbury, worcester and possibly Marston vale work as the internal layout of the 170s and their poor acceleration just isn't suited to the work they do on the West mids local routes.

totally agree, esp as Northern are after something similar.

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
153s won't be any use on their own because a 2019 compliant bog will remove too many seats. So I doubt they will stay long term unless formed into permanent pairs (i.e. 155s).

Surprised at the colour scheme not including Abellio red and being more like the existing LM one plus the orange. Is that because of the proposed generic WM livery perhaps? The font is definitely Abellio though.

The colours of the logo do seem to reflect the livery we have seen previously in publications.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
That's the brand created by West Midlands Rail for the local services in the West Midlands (ex-West Midlands county area plus neighbouring local authorities).

So will the "wmtraiiins" thing just be a paperwork logo, a bit like the varying generations of Merseyrail Electrics Ltd logos that never made it anywhere near a train? Or will that be used on the WCML services?

Pretty decent changes for the Hereford line - hopefully there will be a later last service on the schedule from Birmingham New Street south to complement the last Snow Hill one.

Plus the addition of an earlier first service up to Birmingham on Saturdays will be very welcome - however I would have liked to have seen the same for Sunday morning.

I assume this will mean we will be seeing RPIs, etc. a bit more in future?

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
totally agree, esp as Northern are after something similar.

If the 172s were transferred permenantly to Hereford services, I'd hope the would receive a full interior refit, as they have no tables currently (also numerous luggage racks nor the comfy seats of the 170s!). I hope more details will be released soon regarding the future DMU plan.

northwichcat

Veteran Member
Worth noting Crewe to Euston will be routed away from Stone with a new hourly Birmingham to Crewe via Stone service being introduced, which will obviously require additional EMUs.

sd0733

Established Member
If the 172s were transferred permenantly to Hereford services, I'd hope the would receive a full interior refit, as they have no tables currently (also numerous luggage racks nor the comfy seats of the 170s!). I hope more details will be released soon regarding the future DMU plan.

Yes agree there the Hereford does need something better internally. Maybe even a small sub fleet of either the new units or 172s with a higher spec interior could be allocated for Herefords and possibly Shrewsbury work.
It will be interesting to see the breakdown of these new carriages what is cascaded and what is new build etc and also the scope of these refurbished 350s for Euston routes, Hopefully they come up with something looking as impressive as the TPE 185.

hwl

Established Member
If Abellio are in favour with Bombardier at the moment, a Crossrail unit derivative would sound likely. 5 car maybe?
The number of carriage is quoted as 100 and more than 100 in other places on DfT 2 pages:

On the main text page:
This includes investment in 100 new carriages on the Cross City line
On the map page:
investment in more than 100 brand new electric carriages introduced from 2020 specially designed and dedicated to the cross city line in Birmingham

100 might indicated 5 car but 102 would indicate 6 car.

"From 2020" is when Bombarider and Hitachi have spare production line capacity

If DfT were being very brazen adding a new 6th car to some internally refurbished 707s (bench seats a la London Overground see below so not current 707 internals)

On top of this, there will be standing room for 50,000 passengers in Birmingham in metro-style carriages, similar to the ones used on the London Overground, for short cross-city journeys, and standing room for an additional 5,000 passengers in London.

"and standing room for an additional 5,000 passengers in London." sounds about right for Anglia sized big vestibules but without the tip down seats.

Last edited:

northwichcat

Veteran Member
"From 2020" is when Bombarider and Hitachi have spare production line capacity

Or it's when CAF will have completed delivery of the Northern order or when Stadler will have completed delivery of the Anglia order, or possibly just the earliest date any manufacturer can start delivery of a new train order?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

jw

Much talk here about the 707s finding a home, but is there a credible timeline between Abellio assessing their bid requirements and securing outline pricing and delivery commitments from manufacturers, and First MTR announcing their plans not to use the 707s?

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

TheDavibob

100 might indicated 5 car but 102 would indicate 6 car.

How many trains are required for full Cross-City operation (especially as it seems to be implying they won't run on the Chase Line)?

Either 20 5-car or 17 6-car (or even 15 7-car - 20m carriages would give the same length as a pair of 323s) - do these numbers stack up?

Status
Not open for further replies.