• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Abellio wins West Midlands franchise

Status
Not open for further replies.

nuneatonmark

So the proposed doubling of services on Nuneaton to Coventry to 2 tph is confirmed - but only when the bay is constructed at Coventry.

The interesting part is 3 trains per hour on Saturdays - completely unnecessary unless a game is on at the Ricoh. Fresh air being carted around at any other time. An earlier service during the week is a surprise, but the later one is welcomed.

It's seems a pretty good guess that the 153's will remain operating on the line, with the recent refurb on 334 it's looking more likely as the weeks go by.

If we're lucky the new platform at Coventry and associated signalling changes might just happen before the end of this next franchise! It's already very very late. BTW the Nuneaton to Coventry line is usually very busy on a Saturday.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AlanFry1

Much needed extra services Northampton and Watford to London on the slow lines?

northwichcat

Veteran Member
The 707's are effectively brand new trains. All they have are delivery and acceptance miles in the majority.

Indeed. At the time of the press release they've not yet entered passenger service.

The fact the 350/3s were used by TPE for around a month before they went to LM didn't stop them being called brand new trains by the LM franchise.

cactustwirly

Established Member
Indeed, this is certainly a growth franchise. I do think more could be done with the WCML service (i.e. IC quality trains, not that 350/1s are bad), but otherwise it looks rather good.

They don't operate anything that needs IC quality trains though... (except perhaps Brum to Liverpool)

sd0733

Established Member
They don't operate anything that needs IC quality trains though... (except perhaps Brum to Liverpool)

The Crewe-Eustons could also do with something better internally. Yes, they are the 'Bargain basement' option from Crewe and Stafford but from the likes of Lichfield, Tamworth and Nuneaton they are the only realistic journey to London at most times of day.

TheDavibob

The Crewe-Eustons could also do with something better internally. Yes, they are the 'Bargain basement' option from Crewe and Stafford but from the likes of Lichfield, Tamworth and Nuneaton they are the only realistic journey to London at most times of day.

*But* full intercity spec for people going between Trent Valley stations (and there are a lot of them) is a bit overkill and would hit journey times.

driver_m

Established Member
I believe either Barlaston or Wedgwood is meant to reopen, the other will then close properly.

Wedgewood is too far from anything bar the factory and Barlaston has the village nearer to it. A station nearer the old Trentham Colliery site/Stoke City ground would be of far more benefit than Wedgewood.

driver_m

Established Member

If you saw just how many people use the service, it's got huge growth potential. Should have vending machines on them at the very least if they won't employ trolley dollies.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
*But* full intercity spec for people going between Trent Valley stations (and there are a lot of them)

There really aren't, it's no less IC than some of the GWR HST or SWT 444 services.

And people mostly aren't "going between Trent Valley stations", they are going to/from London. That's why it's been a success over the previous local-only services.

boxy321

If we're lucky the new platform at Coventry and associated signalling changes might just happen before the end of this next franchise! It's already very very late. BTW the Nuneaton to Coventry line is usually very busy on a Saturday.

The line overlooks my local near Coventry Rugby Club and everyone comments on how the train is always empty. I know for a fact it's not but the height difference and trees make it hard to see all the heads looking forlornly out. The hoard that leaves P2 at Coventry when it arrives suggests this service is very much in demand!

Established Member
Any idea on rolling stock plans yet? Hoping for more Desiro Cities.
Why? They aren't performing where they should be on Thameslink and on SWT they were supposed to enter service in April, that hardly suggests we need more of them. Aventras I would be very happy with, so far they've had a relatively trouble free introduction on TfL Rail.

Well i must say that i am very pleased with this announcement. I am very glad that Govia lost the franchise. So at least they don't have a chance to mess it up any more. Although i don't like the idea of the Dutch and Japanese governments running our franchises it is far better than Govia (aka Go Backwards Group and the French government).

It would seem crazy for them to get rid of the 170s as they are very modern trains. LM already have a very modern fleet so the only things that really need to be replaced are the 150s and 153s. I was wondering if any of the 170s / 360s / 379s from AGA would transfer now that they are both going to be run by Abellio but this seems rather unlikely. Most new franchises seem to prefer brand new trains instead.

I am hoping for Desiro City trains as well. I personally really like them. I think the design is a lot better than other stock (as long as they put plug sockets and free wifi).

Is it likely that the new franchise will try to go DOO? Especially when they get their new stock delivered? I really hope they don't but they haven't said much about this. Hopefully they will have enough sense not to.

northwichcat

Veteran Member
The franchise will have 15 minute Delay Repay and will have to offer season tickets for part time workers, as well as smart ticketing.

hwl

Established Member
It would seem crazy for them to get rid of the 170s as they are very modern trains. LM already have a very modern fleet so the only things that really need to be replaced are the 150s and 153s. I was wondering if any of the 170s / 360s / 379s from AGA would transfer now that they are both going to be run by Abellio but this seems rather unlikely. Most new franchises seem to prefer brand new trains instead.

I am hoping for Desiro City trains as well. I personally really like them. I think the design is a lot better than other stock (as long as they put plug sockets and free wifi).

Is it likely that the new franchise will try to go DOO? Especially when they get their new stock delivered? I really hope they don't but they haven't said much about this. Hopefully they will have enough sense not to.

The 323 manufacturer went bust shortly afterwards and anyone involved in supporting them afterwards from the original team is probably close to retirement if not already retired, hence probably add them to the list to reduce the rolling stock zoo especially BR era.

Bringing in stock from elsewhere leaves you vulnerable to delays if the new stock replacing them is delayed, the need to refresh + upgrade , increased maintenance vs new stock. the quantities of identical stock available are often too small to make it worth while too.

East Midlands, GW, XC and Wales and Borders bidders will have a more sensible choice of (DMU) stock to chose from when they come up as a result and stand a chance reducing their micro fleet issues too.

Desiro City - Want about the reliability so far and the extra cost?

Last edited:

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Well i must say that i am very pleased with this announcement. I am very glad that Govia lost the franchise. So at least they don't have a chance to mess it up any more. Although i don't like the idea of the Dutch and Japanese governments running our franchises it is far better than Govia (aka Go Backwards Group and the French government).

Are you a regular LM user then? I think those of us who are might have a different view. Why are you very glad Govia lost the franchise? On what basis?

On the WCML services i think they do a decent enough job and offer some very competitive fares. They try their best on my local line with some good works like station clean ups and communications and advertising that has seen numbers rise in the 7 years i have lived here but i can quite easily see why it must be a massive pita for them - rural, a diesel island in an electric sea, trains out based for a week at a time miles from depot, extra traction knowledge needed for staff and a complete financial burden for them.

Last edited:

Sprinter153

Neither Mitsui & Co or East Japan Railway Company are Japanese state owned. The latter was completely privatised in 2002.

Accuracy and fact-checking should never get in the way of tub thumping, mind.

To the people mentioning 170s leaving - I very much doubt this. If they kept the 170s / 172s, with the new trains they'd see an increase from 135 coaches to 201, which I'd say seems about right for what they want to do.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
To the people mentioning 170s leaving - I very much doubt this. If they kept the 170s / 172s, with the new trains they'd see an increase from 135 coaches to 201, which I'd say seems about right for what they want to do.

My money is on this. Basically it's good bye to the Sprinter fleet and some extra capacity to boot. The numbers don't seem to add up for total DMU replacement.

Are you a regular LM user then? I think those of us who are might have a different view. Why are you very glad Govia lost the franchise? On what basis?

On the WCML services i think they do a decent enough job and offer some very competitive fares. They try their best on my local line with some good works like station clean ups and communications and advertising that has seen numbers rise in the 7 years i have lived here but i can quite easily see why it must be a massive pita for them - rural, a diesel island in an electric sea, trains out based for a week at a time miles from depot, extra traction knowledge needed for staff and a complete financial burden for them.

Look at the mess that Govia have created at GTR and Southeastern. I don't think a company like this can be trusted to run any franchise. Whilst London Midland have been the best of the Govia TOCs they still aren't very good. One of the poorest parts is their customer service. I have had nothing but appalling experiences when dealing with LM customer service. LM also made a lot of staff cuts (such as what was discussed in the Witton thread recently) which certainly isn't good.

Whilst i live in Surrey and mainly use GWR / SWT / GTR to commute to work i do still use LM quite often so i know what they are like. I use them around five or six times a month on average.

Why? They aren't performing where they should be on Thameslink and on SWT they were supposed to enter service in April, that hardly suggests we need more of them. Aventras I would be very happy with, so far they've had a relatively trouble free introduction on TfL Rail.

Wish list would have been some nice Stadler Flirts in Norwegian Rail Configuration Carriages. But I know that will never happen.

640px-NSB_BMb_74501_1.jpg

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Look at the mess that Govia have created at GTR and Southeastern. I don't think a company like this can be trusted to run any franchise.

I wouldn't say SE was a mess at all, what evidence do you have of it being so? SN is a mess, but that's the DfT's doing by forcing DOO on them. Prior to that debacle SN had a very good reputation - anyone remember Connex?

My money is on this. Basically it's good bye to the Sprinter fleet and some extra capacity to boot. The numbers don't seem to add up for total DMU replacement.

That would definitely seem to be the most sensible option for them to choose. Hopefully that is what they will do.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Look at the mess that Govia have created at GTR and Southeastern. I don't think a company like this can be trusted to run any franchise. Whilst London Midland have been the best of the Govia TOCs they still aren't very good. One of the poorest parts is their customer service. I have had nothing but appalling experiences when dealing with LM customer service. LM also made a lot of staff cuts (such as what was discussed in the Witton thread recently) which certainly isn't good.

Whilst i live in Surrey and mainly use GWR / SWT / GTR to commute to work i do still use LM quite often so i know what they are like. I use them around five or six times a month on average.

So another group company, under instructions from the government, handles industrial relations on another franchise badly and that means you are pleased they lose this franchise?

I have never had a problem with their customer service whether on twitter, by phone or by post. In fact they were so responsive to complaints that they have changed timetables and stopping times to create better connections. I guess there is often a difference in the expectations of the customer and what is actually deliverable. I haven't always got what i wanted but was always handled professionally.

They have made quite savage cuts to station staff in some places although I wonder what the actual impact on the passenger of closing ticket offices is. It isnt something i like to see but economics rule sadly.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.