• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Abellio wins West Midlands franchise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robertj21a

On Moderation
Look at the mess that Govia have created at GTR and Southeastern. I don't think a company like this can be trusted to run any franchise. Whilst London Midland have been the best of the Govia TOCs they still aren't very good. One of the poorest parts is their customer service. I have had nothing but appalling experiences when dealing with LM customer service. LM also made a lot of staff cuts (such as what was discussed in the Witton thread recently) which certainly isn't good.

Whilst i live in Surrey and mainly use GWR / SWT / GTR to commute to work i do still use LM quite often so i know what they are like. I use them around five or six times a month on average.

More wild, sweeping, statements based on little more than your personal dislikes ?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mordac

Established Member
So another group company, under instructions from the government, handles industrial relations badly and that means you are pleased they lose the franchise?

I have never had a problem with their customer service whether on twitter, by phone or by post. In fact they were so responsive to complaints that they have changed timetables and stopping times to create better connections. I guess there is often a difference in the expectations of the customer and what is actually deliverable. I haven't always got what i wanted but was always handled professionally.

They have made quite savage cuts to station staff in some places although I wonder what the actual impact on the passenger of closing ticket offices is. It isnt something i like to see but economics rule sadly.
I do think their customer service leaves a bit to be desired, especially their invisible guards on WCML services--with a couple of honourable exceptions of guards that do seem to go the extra mile , you barely ever see a guard on a WCML service or get a ticket checked on train. I do know regional services like the Marston Vale line are different in this regard, so maybe you don't experience this as often.

It's quite a shock as someone who was used to ScotRail and TPE guards.

hwl

Established Member
Wish list would have been some nice Stadler Flirts in Norwegian Rail Configuration Carriages. But I know that will never happen.

640px-NSB_BMb_74501_1.jpg

Which would survive in service till they got to the first platform:lol:

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I do think their customer service leaves a bit to be desired, especially their invisible guards on WCML services--with a couple of honourable exceptions of guards that do seem to go the extra mile , you barely ever see a guard on a WCML service or get a ticket checked on train. I do know regional services like the Marston Vale line are different in this regard, so maybe you don't experience this as often.

It's quite a shock as someone who was used to ScotRail and TPE guards.

I think there are two big issues with some guards:

Gate lines on most stations
Morale

btw - I use LM daily on the main line so know what they are like. They are by no means perfect but the do seem to attract guilt by association at times!

Blindtraveler

Established Member
I will miss LM, they are a high milage opperater for me mainly due to Crewe to Birmingham or London trips and have never had an issue with service. I don't feel its fare to punish govia for GTR which is a mess not of their own making. Perhaps the good behaveure thanks from the DFT will be allowing them to continue running the already well run Southeasten? Off topic sorry.

Mordac

Established Member
I think there are two big issues with some guards:

Gate lines on most stations
Morale

btw - I use LM daily on the main line so know what they are like. They are by no means perfect but the do seem to attract guilt by association at times!
Fair enough re your using the main line trains. The problem is that gates are open most of the day outwith peak times (and sometimes even at peak times), and the fact that there are such widespread morale issues suggests something is wrong with management, doesn't it? Which is exactly why I'm glad to see a change there!

HH

Established Member
I will miss LM, they are a high milage opperater for me mainly due to Crewe to Birmingham or London trips and have never had an issue with service. I don't feel its fare to punish govia for GTR which is a mess not of their own making. Perhaps the good behaveure thanks from the DFT will be allowing them to continue running the already well run Southeasten? Off topic sorry.

People still can't seem to get through their heads that franchises are not awarded (especially since the WCML fiasco) on how well, or badly, bidders run their current franchises. They are awarded on the basis of the bid. And Abellio appears to be getting that bit right at the moment.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
People still can't seem to get through their heads that franchises are not awarded (especially since the WCML fiasco) on how well, or badly, bidders run their current franchises. They are awarded on the basis of the bid. And Abellio appears to be getting that bit right at the moment.

exactly - it isnt a review of past performance ( should it be?) but a reflection of the strength of the future deliverables and returns to HMG

Fair enough re your using the main line trains. The problem is that gates are open most of the day outwith peak times (and sometimes even at peak times), and the fact that there are such widespread morale issues suggests something is wrong with management, doesn't it? Which is exactly why I'm glad to see a change there!

I agree that there may be a management issue - there is, however,no guarantee that will change.

Last edited:

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
The 707's are effectively brand new trains. All they have are delivery and acceptance miles in the majority.

They will have 2 or 3 years use by FMSWR first though, before they are available... Not even DfT could spin that as "brand new".

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
323s have been used in the past on peak Manchester - Birmingham trains (by FNW) and on Liverpool - Birmingham (by Central) - perhaps the 323s could find a home running north of New Street, on trains to Crewe and Liverpool? 1 x 3 car on the new Birmingham - Crewe service, and 2 x 3 car on the Birmingham - Liverpool. The acceleration would certainly help them find paths on the West Coast.

Anything less than 110mph units on the WCML would be a backwards step.
323s are sprightly on local services but have poor interiors and are very noisy, compared to the current 350s, with no sense of long-distance ambience - worse than 350/2s.
They might work Birmingham-Stoke-Crewe as this is an extension of the Wolves stopper.

They also have to decide if Birmingham-Liverpool is a WM (local) service or an LM (main line) service. Currently it is a bit of both.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
They also have to decide if Birmingham-Liverpool is a WM (local) service or an LM (main line) service. Currently it is a bit of both.

My understanding is that Liv-Brum and Brum-Northampton(-Euston) are mainline services even if they continue to serve local stations. A DB style segregation is not planned.

Mikey C

Established Member
No strong feelings for or against the existing operator

I will miss the London Midland livery though, which I've always thought really stylish

northwichcat

Veteran Member
323s are sprightly on local services but have poor interiors and are very noisy, compared to the current 350s, with no sense of long-distance ambience - worse than 350/2s.
They might work Birmingham-Stoke-Crewe as this is an extension of the Wolves stopper.

Both Stoke and Cheshire East councils are full members of Rail North meaning they can only be associate members of West Midlands Rail. It seems Cheshire West and Halton councils and Merseytravel aren't even associate members of West Midlands Rail so maybe that will mean Liverpool to Birmingham will have to be a mainline service?

northwichcat

Veteran Member

There's been talk of First Group trying to find a way of getting 115mph clearance for the 397s on the WCML. If they succeed in that maybe 397s will be the best option to replace 350s (unless other types of EMUs also get 115mph clearance)?

Last edited by a moderator:

Mordac

Established Member
There's been talk of First Group trying to find a way of getting 115mph clearance for the 397s on the WCML. If they succeed in that maybe 397s will be the best option to replace 397s (unless other types of EMUs also get 115mph clearance)?

I'm not sure how cost effective it is to order new units of the same class to replace them. ;)

northwichcat

Veteran Member
I'm not sure how cost effective it is to order new units of the same class to replace them. ;)

I've corrected that but it won't surprise to hear you DfT have already looked at the viability of replacing units with other units of the same class and they've concluded it has a good business case. ;)

plcd1

I genuinely don't think they've been too bad - quite innovative in many ways. And always good on the basics like cleanliness and presentation.

First few months were terrible, but then they always are.

I don't use trains very much these days but have had many trips with London Midland in the past. I've found them to be pretty decent overall with, as you say, an emphasis on the basics. Their social media work has also been good. I've only had one disaster with them which was being turfed off a London train at Northampton at about 2 mins notice and basically left to fend for ourselves when there were not many trains left heading south. Wasn't impressed with that.

I just hope that Abellio and the Japanese have not taken on too much. They have three large franchises with ambitious, expansionist agendas on all of them. Let's hope the corporate HQ has the skill and resources to keep a grip on all the work and that operational performance is maintained despite the looming advent of major HS2 work at Euston / approaches. I can't see the government looking very favourably on a new franchisee if day to day operation goes to pot affecting all those blue constituencies along the main line nor undermining the efforts of a Tory West Midlands Mayor. They don't need any more people moaning about their rail services.

Roose

So, farewell then London Midland - i wonder what new trains we will get on the Marston Vale?
Lots of Pacers coming free from Northern in the coming years. A few cheap improvements should make them suitable.

Ibex

This tweet from Abellio suggests the network will have two seperate brands - West Midlands Railway and tbc for the West Coast but I guess the obvious suggestion is West Coast Railway?

Attachments

• IMG_6100.jpg
    IMG_6100.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 191

CosherB

Established Member
This tweet from Abellio suggests the network will have two seperate brands - West Midlands Railway and tbc for the West Coast but I guess the obvious suggestion is West Coast Railway?

I think our friends in Carnforth may have something to say about that!

Agent_Squash

Established Member
Keep the London Midland brand, perhaps? Saves money with regards to train colour schemes and represents the service still?

crosscity

So....farewell to the 323's on the Crosscity line. They will have been part of my life for more than 27 years when they are finally withdrawn. I was going to say they still have loads of life left, but then realised how old they are. They have been reliable and distinctive, with that odd singing sound when accelerating and stopping. Nice green liveries all the way through too. 3+2 seating was probably the worst aspect of them.

As to London Midland - they tried hard compared with Central Trains both commercially and operationally. I wasn't happy with reduced booking office opening times and I would prefer not to have had to put up with the autumn leaf-fall timetable, nor the much reduced Sunday service. Still I would have been happy to see them continue with the new franchise.

So far I am positive about the new trains, provided that they have toilets and the seating is not longitudinal seats all the way along the train (I like to look out of the window if I can). Reliable air-conditioning would be the clincher for me on those hot summer days.

thenorthern

Established Member
I would think that Abellio will effectively control the franchise.

Someone said to me that it was good that Mitsui and East Japan Railway Company had a stake in the franchise given that Japan trains are supposedly great. I am a bit apprehensive given that neither have experience of running trains in the United Kingdom which is very different to Japan.

Status
Not open for further replies.