• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Abellio wins West Midlands franchise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
For clarity, I meant 1tph Liverpool to *London* was adequate.

Liverpool to Birmingham probably needs 2tph, though it could be swapped to a stopper plus IC (Crewe and Wolves only) model. Though 2 semifasts per hour are probably more useful overall than one fast one slow. Another good option could be to give a second (slow but cheaper) London train by having the Crewe "LM" service extend all stations to Liverpool.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

northwichcat

Veteran Member
Its about time we trialed vending machines on our trains for teas, coffees, water, soft drinks and biscuits. Im told it works well elsewhere.

Renfe do just that in Spain. They also have regional trains which have one set of wide double doors in the middle of each carriage and we always seem to insist on single doors at the ends or two sets of double doors at 1/3rd and 2/3rd positions.

There is Japanese involvement in Greater Anglia as Abellio East Anglia Ltd is no longer 100% owned by NS. Whether the Japanese involvement is just financial and 'testing the water' in the UK or day to day management is yet to be seen.

Gareth

I think I focused too much on my neck of the woods slightly too much. My words on problems in Angela will probably come back to haunt me... ;)

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Renfe do just that in Spain. They also have regional trains which have one set of wide double doors in the middle of each carriage and we always seem to insist on single doors at the ends or two sets of double doors at 1/3rd and 2/3rd positions.

FLIRTs? On anything else other than short articulated coaches that would result in huge platform gaps - potentially well over 2 feet at Clapham Jn platform 17 for instance (it's already a foot and a half at thirds).

northwichcat

Veteran Member

sufian123

Hi

Does anybody know if the west coast routes be called West Midlands trains as well? They'll have a different name thanks

Hi

Does anybody know if the west coast routes be called West Midlands trains as well? They'll have a different name thanks

Abellio stated on Twitter yesterday that inner West Midlands services will be under West Midlands Railway, with a West Coast name to be confirmed within the coming months hopefully. West Midlands Trains Limited is the business trading name

anyone know what route the new peak direct Walsall - Euston services will take?

Will be interested to see who takes over responsibility for Wilnecote, Staffs., at present managed by London Midland but has no services on this line.

XCTurbostar

Established Member
Will be interested to see who takes over responsibility for Wilnecote, Staffs., at present managed by London Midland but has no services on this line.

Most likely remain as West Midlands Railway until the new East Midlands Franchise starts and takes over the BHM-NOT and BHM-LEI-SSD.

Thanks,
Ross

TheDavibob

Cross Country don't manage any stations, though, so there's no real reason for it to change, given it clearly falls within the West Midlands area. It is similar to Burton further up the line in that respect (managed by EMT). A daft situation, to be sure, but understandable to some extent.

If, however, EMT take the New Street - Nottingham services over, as has been suggested, then there would be a convincing argument for EMT taking over this West Midlands station.

The Ham

Established Member
It works very well in Norway - with the machines taking both cash and contactless cards. First class passengers get given a couple of plastic tokens to use in the tea & coffee machine for their freebies.

Can't see it happen here though - the machines would probably get vandalised etc. on the first late night weekend services running.

Given that there are multiple vending machines on stations which could be just as prone (arguably more so as they aren't taken out of service at the end of the day) to damage as they would be on a train I can't see why it wouldn't be possible.

Clip

Established Member
FLIRTs? On anything else other than short articulated coaches that would result in huge platform gaps - potentially well over 2 feet at Clapham Jn platform 17 for instance (it's already a foot and a half at thirds).

I didn't realise LM went to clapham junction

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Hi
...They'll have a different name thanks
You seem to have answered your own question with that statement.

Wasn't the requirement in the ITT only for separately accounted business units in case the franchise gets divided in due course?

thenorthern

Established Member
Has there been any announcement if the new operator plans to reopen Wedgwood or Barlaston stations?

Cross Country don't manage any stations, though, so there's no real reason for it to change, given it clearly falls within the West Midlands area. It is similar to Burton further up the line in that respect (managed by EMT). A daft situation, to be sure, but understandable to some extent.

If, however, EMT take the New Street - Nottingham services over, as has been suggested, then there would be a convincing argument for EMT taking over this West Midlands station.

Burton upon Trent is located in the West Midlands, East Staffordshire is an odd one as many expect it to be in the East Midlands but its located in the West Midlands.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
From someone who can painfully tell you, the "odd" bit is that Liverpool only has one service an hour between London. Very very poor service compared to what it should be.

Have sometimes used those London Midlands between Birmingham and Liverpool myself. Always very well used from what I can see.

Two trains an hour between multi-million occupant cities in a fairly small and very modern, wealthy country really ought to be the minimum, no?

The old chestnuts keep coming round.
Trains out of Liverpool towards Birmingham/London are NOT particularly busy, and the Birminghams are really quiet until Stafford where the hordes get on.
Another telling factor is that often more people join/leave these trains at Crewe than continue to Liverpool.
Liverpool gets extra VT services in the peak, and they are nearly all 11-car.

The Birmingham service still has the character it started out with - a pair of Birmingham-Stafford and Crewe-Liverpool locals, joined up in the middle to save "intercity" running a separate service.

JaJaWa

Established Member
West Midlands Railway for the Birmingham services and WM Trains (West Midlands Trains) for the other services... bit confusing

387star

On Moderation
This rebranding is at odds with dft policy on branding

LM is a perfect example of a non corporate brand no?

Is LM protected unlike GWR? Can Govia claim money for their brand but GWR is fixed.. Confused here

All the stations have black and green signs too

What a waste of money and time ... Black and green looks great too

Mind you greater anglia still has a corporate identity with their house colours used implying ofnstagecoach retained emt the livery would not need changing

frodshamfella

Established Member
The old chestnuts keep coming round.
Trains out of Liverpool towards Birmingham/London are NOT particularly busy, and the Birminghams are really quiet until Stafford where the hordes get on.
Another telling factor is that often more people join/leave these trains at Crewe than continue to Liverpool.
Liverpool gets extra VT services in the peak, and they are nearly all 11-car.

The Birmingham service still has the character it started out with - a pair of Birmingham-Stafford and Crewe-Liverpool locals, joined up in the middle to save "intercity" running a separate service.

Beg to differ, I find LM Liverpool to Birmingham service is busy, obviously certain of day times are quieter but, generally it can't be argued this is a well used service, if you have to stand that's a busy service, and I have, quite often. Your comment about more getting off at Crewe than continue on to Liverpool is not really correct. How ever many alight at Crewe there are just as many waiting at Crewe to get on, I speak from experience, I use this route.

Oh and as for trains from Liverpool to London NOT busy........crazy statement, sorry !

Last edited:

DJames

The stations in the West Midlands county have NWM branded signs so they wouldn't change.

That depends on TfWM, if they decide to ditch the Network branding for something else, then those will change too.

Well, I say that, but I still see Centro signage on occasion.

JaJaWa

Established Member
This rebranding is at odds with dft policy on branding

LM is a perfect example of a non corporate brand no?

Is LM protected unlike GWR? Can Govia claim money for their brand but GWR is fixed.. Confused here

GWR is not fixed

frodshamfella

Established Member
Beg to differ, I find LM Liverpool to Birmingham service is busy, obviously certain of day times are quieter but, generally it can't be argued this is a well used service, if you have to stand that's a busy service, and I have, quite often. Your comment about more getting off at Crewe than continue on to Liverpool is not really correct. How ever many alight at Crewe there are just as many waiting at Crewe to get on, I speak from experience, I use this route.

I dont think, talking of reducing services is helpful for getting people out of their cars.

Last edited:

ChrisHogan

That depends on TfWM, if they decide to ditch the Network branding for something else, then those will change too.

Well, I say that, but I still see Centro signage on occasion.

I understood TfWM was retaining the Network West Midlands branding for buses and trams and only ditching it for rail in favour for West Midlands Rail. (Something to do with the former being just the old West Midlands 'county' and the latter being the wider travel to work area.) Still bizarre as you would think a former PTE would want to promote a connected and integrated public transport system in its core area, but its politicians know best ..... (I wish we could have direct elections for TfWM politicians instead of them being nominated by political parties.)

I hope that TfWM will be paying for all the rebranding of station signs and station totems.

Status
Not open for further replies.