• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Adrock's trip reports

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Sounded like a good trip to Tayside, other than for the stopper getting cancelled. Like you mentioned those stations now get 2 trains a day in each direction, with the 2nd of the morning services giving connections to services from Glasgow/Edinburgh & the sleeper (whereas before the only way to call at those stations heading towards Dundee was either a hotel in Carnoustie or a hotel in Dundee with an early morning bus move)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Sounded like a fair few good days out, here, especially for the dog too. Kind of the guy to donate a fiver towards her keep.
Glad to hear the missus is feeling better too.

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
West Highlands trip 12 May

It was another early rise for me so as to take the dog out for the morning run, and having got various bits of equipment together, it was out of the door just after 09:15for the walk to Barnhill station to board the 09:28 to Glasgow Queen Street on dud 334023. After a brief walk out of the station to see if the dog needed a pee, it was onboard the 09:56 Oban formed of a very busy dud 156457 for the run to Loch Awe, spotting 66746 on the Royal Scotsman charter heading eastbound into Knightswood Tunnel just before the approach to Westerton. During the course of this leg of the journey, there were 2 or 3 guys who also had the Barry Links – Golf Street or Monifieth season for the compensation offer who were going further along the line. Being as the weather was quite hot now at lunchtime, I (or rather the dog) found a large shaded area to wait for the next half an hour or so for the 12:53 ex Oban – Glasgow Queen Street, hopping onboard a very full dud 156492 for a short countryside style run to Tyndrum Lower. It is noted that there were two cyclists who were intending to use this train, but there was no room for the bikes as the bike space was already full, therefore it appeared they continued on two wheels to either Crianlarich or wherever their intended destination was.

Having made a very gentle stroll to Upper Tyndrum at a sedate pace as there was a near 80 minute gap (and trying to eventually prevent the dog from herding the sheep that was in the fenced off field next to the main road and the steep footpath that leads uphill to the station – it’s a Border Collie), 66743 decorated in the Belmond Royal Scotsman livery was passing though southbound as a light engine at around 13:55. After the dog done a big pee on a grassy surface outside the station after settling in a shaded spot, it was soon onboard the 14:35 Mallaig, which I could see it was 2 156s coupled together when the train was approaching. Upon a closer look, the front 156 was in the First Group Barbie livery, and another look at the number on the front was to my surprise required 156453 – this being my final Scotrail 156 required for haulage, even though I was not intentionally keeping a look out for it. The rear 156 was (obviously) dud 458, and taking up a position in the 453 which was much quieter, it was on the way to the request stop of Locheilside, switching to 458 at Fort William as the pair of 156s were uncoupled. Also, 73969 was in the carriage sidings all by itself and likely to be on the London sleeper as far as Edinburgh later on. It is noted that I done the walk between both Tyndrum stations the other way round back in 2017, plus only alighting at Loch Awe back then, therefore I have completed both boarding and alighting at these three stations.

After alighting at Locheilside (which seems to be a pointless station as there is a cottage up the hill off the main road to Mallaig, and with no apparent nearby access to the lochside) it was just over a 20 minute fester for the 6 minutes delayed 17:02 ex Mallaig formed of dud 156446. As there appeared to be several reservation labels from Fort William, I suspected that this train would couple up to 156453 as checking online, it was booked to use the same platform. When the guard announced that the train would first be coupling to another train before the doors were opened, my suspicion turned out right. After the coupling procedure had been completed and the doors released, I switched to 453 as there was more room for the run straight back to Glasgow Queen Street.

Upon arrival at Crianlarich, it was a brief leg stretch and a short nip outside the station to see if the dog needed a pee (she refuses to pee on gravel or stone surfaces, which there is several of along the platform at Crianlarich) while awaiting the ex Oban portion to arrive. 156450 coupled to the rear and was soon on the way. At Ardlui, 156476+474+492 were on the northbound Oban and Mallaig, and after arriving 5 minutes behind schedule at Glasgow Queen Street due to following a local train after Dumbarton Central, it was a rapid dash onto the 21:26 Cumbernauld for the run to Springburn on required 385045.

Overall, it was a pleasant day to be in the countryside on a tidying up exercise, and I got my final Scotrail Class 156 which I was not intentionally keeping a lookout for, plus I have peeled off another 385 too.

Established Member
Congrats on an all round good day and finishing the 156s is no mean feat. Your dog must be over the moon getting to go on your journeys too, bet she gets a lot of attention and exercise to boot.

adrock1976

Established Member
Lancashire Day Ranger 24 May

This was another trip into Northern land, and as in April I would again beconcentrating on the west side of the Pennines for another go at clearing some more of 1985’s finest machines (Class 142 Pacers).Having risen at 06:30 and after some breakfast, it was out of the door just after 07:40 for the walk to Barnhill station, boarding the 07:53 Dumbarton Central formed of dud 320316 for the run to Glasgow Queen Street, then a walk over to Central for the 08:40 London Euston via Trent Valley Railway onboard dud 390130 for the run to Preston. After bailing at Preston, it was upstairs to the booking office to purchase the Lancashire Day Ranger, of which I may have jinxed myself as to how the rest of the day would turn out.

Having had news of where my required targets were (one on Heaton (079), one on Hull – Sheffield – Adwick (095), one on Leeds – Southport (056), one on Newton Heath (071), and one on York – Selby etc later on(015)), this meant that I could only get the one that was on the Leeds – Southport today as I would not have the time to get one let alone both that areon the east side of the Pennines. Returning to the platforms to see what was around, 90040+018 were double heading containers southbound through Platform 4 at around 11:50, followed by the screens changing some trains to delayed. There were announcements that all trains would be delayed as there were problems with the overhead wires south of Preston, and to listen for further announcements. It was not the start that I would have liked.

Eventually, I decided to settle upon the visits of Pleasington, Cherry Tree, and Mill Hill (Lancs) being as the trains were running haywire, and it would save me having to do those three stations from the Blackburn side in future assuming normal running (Lostock Hall and Bamber Bridge I have already done previously from the Preston side based on the normal timetable). Making my way over to Platform 2 it was onboard dud 142031 that was on the 20 minutes delayed 11:57 Colne, stopping at Farrington Curve Junction for around 10 minutes or so before continuing. It is noted that 319446 that was on the 11:23 Preston – Manchester Airport had also been stopped at the junction. Checking online, I worked out that I could bail at Mill Hill to meet the train in the opposite direction. Arrival at Mill Hill was at 12:53 – 33 minutes behind schedule.

It was onboard dud 142061 that was on the 5 minutes delayed ex Colne – Preston for the run to Pleasington (request stop), then to Cherry Tree on dud 142003 on the 20 minutes delayed 13:14 ex Preston – Colne. Having made my way to the Preston platform, the screen and the automated announcements had the 13:59 as delayed by 40 minutes. Having gone for a wander around, I was back at the station with the automated announcements still mentioning that the 13:59 was 40 minutes delayed. At around 14:40, the Preston train (142061) passed through without stopping and I could see a few passengers onboard. A few moments later, it was announced that the 15:16 Colne had been cancelled, and that the 14:59 Preston was delayed by 15 minutes. Eventually, it was onboard the return of 142003 for the run back to Preston, being held at Farrington Curve Junction for 10 minutes or so, spotting 37402+423 on the assets inspection train heading towards Blackburn at around 15:45. Also, it had appeared that the 319 that came to a halt earlier was not there so must have moved somewhere. Arrival at Preston was 30 minutes behind schedule at 15:50, with what seemed a state of chaos happing on Platforms 3 and 4 going by the large volume of passengers.

Having checked the screens, it seemed that the London and Glasgow/Edinburgh trains were severely delayed, with some having up to a 90 minute delay. The 15:17 London via Birmingham was delayed by 45 minutes upon arrival, and the 14:41 Glasgow was delayed by almost 90 minutes upon arrival. Nipping out of the station for some fresh air and to check online to see if I could meet the 15:47 Southport – Blackburn via Atherton and Todmorden at Wigan (due 16:24), I had worked out that assuming that there are no further delays to the London trains, I could just make it. Another alternative would be to meet that train at Burnley Manchester Road, which I had opted for as the London train was not moving just yet. Eventually, it was onboard a very busy and dud 158758 that was on the 30 minutes delayed 16:47 ex Blackpool – York via Halifax for the run to Burnley Manchester Road, while checking the progress of the ex Southport which had a 10 minute delay on the way to Wigan (I could have met the train there after all).

After arriving at Burnley Manchester Road, it was over to the Preston platform with the screen displaying the 17:51 ex Southport – Blackburn as being delayed by 20 minutes, with the 19:03 York – Blackpool having been cancelled. The screen had updated stating that the 17:51 was now 30 minutes delayed with the destination switching from Blackburn to Accrington. It was eventually onboard required 142056+ dud 142027 for the run to Accrington. The same pair of Pacers soon switched tracks to form the 10 minutes delayed 18:27 Wigan North Western via Todmorden and Atherton, and having checked the screens that the 18:41 ex Colne – Preston was 40 minutes delayed, and the 18:35 ex Preston – Colne was 20 minutes delayed, I decided to have a roll of the dice to take a run to Hapton (request stop) on the delayed 18:35 onboard dud 142058, returning straight back to Preston on the 40 minutes delayed 18:23 onboard dud (and the third sighting) 142061.

Being as the trains to and from London were still running with delays, my intended 19:41 Glasgow Central was delayed by 45 minutes. It was onboard dud 390124 for the run to Glasgow, gaining another delay of 5 minutes upon arrival at 23:00 50 minutes behind schedule. I made a gentle saunter along to Queen Street passing the various Friday night drunks and it was back home to Barnhill onboard dud pair 320314+320322 that were on the 23:33 Springburn via Bellgrove.

Overall, even though I did not get off to the start I would have liked upon arriving at Preston and having being caught up in the delays caused by problems with the overhead wires south of Preston, I was still determined not to let a required 142 on the Southport – Blackburn circuit slip away from me, and I took the chance to visit the stations of Pleasington, Cherry Tree, and Mill Hill (Lancs) meaning that I have completed all between Preston and Blackburn. I also unexpectedly scored the visit of Hapton as well, meaning that I have 2 plus 1 either side of Accrington to do. Furthermore, I have been compensated by Northern in the form of a return ticket that I requested, plus I got the whole fare back from Virgin on the Barnhill – Preston leg.

adrock1976

Established Member
The Edinburgh & Glasgow Railway’s Guide to the Galaxy 01 June

With the Class 385s fully in service on the Edinburgh Waverley – Glasgow Queen Street via Falkirk High route with a journey time of 42 minutes on the xx00 and xx30 departures, Scotrail are doing a promotional offer on the weekend of 1-2 June that would allow free of charge travel along the route to any station (except Bishopbriggs and Lenzie, but being strangely silent regarding Edinburgh Park) for those who were 42 years of age, born between 2 June 1976 and 1 June 1977 (being as I was born in October 1976, I clearly fit the criteria for the promotion). Proof of age is photographic ID, which I had anyway. This is a mini bashing trip that I decided to participate in which would enable me to peel off some more 385s. The title I chose is a word play on the sci-fi series The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, which had the number 42 being the centre of the universe as its theme. That sci-fi series had also inspired a famous 1980s band from the Isle of Wight to name themselves after it, with the band in question being Level 42.

After having done various household tasks and with the weather having picked up, I decided to start mid afternoon, and as it would involve the time of day when I would be out with the dog, she came along with me for this mini bash. Being as I would be keeping this trip to travelling between the stations along the Edinburgh & Glasgow Railway and for easier readability, I have listed the moves below similar to linear hops on London Underground with requirements highlighted in bold. Furthermore, I have used the three letter codes for the stations which are BNL (Barnhill), GLQ (Glasgow Queen Street), CRO (Croy), FKK (Falkirk High), LIN (Linlithgow), and HYM (Haymarket).

320301 14:55 BNL – GLQ
385116+028 15:15 GLQ – HYM
385030+118 16:04 HYM – CRO
385120+021 16:41 (5 minutes delayed) CRO – HYM
385115 17:19 HYM – FKK (arrived 14 minutes delayed at FKK due to broken signal at Polmont)
385105+016 18:03 FKK – HYM
385124+031 18:34 HYM – FKK (arrived FKK 11 minutes late). The 19:19 ex Glasgow Edinburgh was cancelled.
385116+028 19:33 FKK – LIN
385021+120 19:49 LIN – FKK
385037+113 20:10 (7 minutes delayed) FKK – CRO
385015 20:41 CRO – GLQ
320317+318253 21:04 GLQ – BNL

Overall, I have got another 13 Class 385s in the bag, with the only cost of this mini bash being a return from Barnhill to Queen Street. I had considered nipping out again on the following day to see if any different 385s were about, but as there were problems with the overhead wires between High Street and Queen Street low level, the trains to and from Springburn via Bellgrove were suspended for most of the day so I abandoned that idea.

Kite159

Veteran Member
A good little trip to get some 385s into your book, I miss the Glasgow Days Out pass as that would have been ideal for 385 hunting

adrock1976

Established Member
Tyne & Tees Day Ranger 07 June

With the news that the Mk IV sets are starting to go off lease as the Azumas are gradually being introduced into service along the Intercity East Coast route, and with one Mk IV set having already worked its last passenger service for the time being (the first seven sets I believe that are going off lease will reappear in Wales and with the open access services that are meant to be running soon between London Euston and Blackpool), I would be taking a break from chasing after 1985s finest machines and would be concentrating my efforts on my remaining required Mk IV sets. I require 4 sets and 3 Class 91 locos, with those being Driving Van Trailers 82210, 82213, 82216, and 82225 which belong to sets (according to the ABRail website as of November 2018) BN05, BN13, BN25, and BN17. The locos are 91101, 91122, and 91130, but I can get those another time in the future if need be. Furthermore, I would also attempt to get my final required East Coast powercar 43206. It is noted that I would be taking a gamble on my requirements calling at Darlington, Durham, and Newcastle Central, as I had initially thought about basing myself in the York/Leeds/Doncaster triangle therefore hope that decision would not backfire on me.

With me having already taken the dog for her morning run, having some light breakfast, and gathering provisions and various bits of equipment together, it was out of the door just after 07:15 for the walk to Barnhill station to board dud 318266 on the 07:25 Dumbarton Central. When I had booked Advance fares each way, it is noted that the departures from Barnhill are normally xx23 and xx53, with some odd ones being xx24/xx54 and xx25/xx55, therefore the xx15/xx45 Glasgow Queen Street – Edinburgh Waverley via Falkirk High do not appear on journey planners due to the minimum interchange time at Queen Street being 10 minutes and has the next connecting service at xx00 or xx30. Although it is theoretically possible to get the 07:45, I would also have a look to see if the 385s on the 08:00 would be required as I can easily do a linear hop along the way.

Making my way upstairs, it was onboard required pair 385013+122 that was on the 07:45, while having got settled I was keeping an eye on the pair of 385s that would be on the 08:00. It was 385028+116 which were both dud, therefore it would be straight to Edinburgh Waverley. Upon arrival at Waverley, it was briefly over to Princes Street Gardens to see if the dog needed a pee before heading over to Platform 6 for the 09:00 London Kings Cross, which was dud set BN15 with both dud 82214+91120 doing the honours for the run to Newcastle Central. Also, 90042 and 90043 were spotted in the siding next to Platform 10 at Waverley. Having left the train at Newcastle, I had news that all of my Mk IV sets except BN25* with required DVT 82216 and the powercar were on services that would be calling at Newcastle and Darlington at least, also a required Class 185 is on the 11:17 Manchester Airport therefore I feel that this is my lucky day after all and went for a hike to the booking office to purchase the Tyne & Tees Day Ranger.

Before spotting 60095 hauling Nacco wagons southbound at around 11:15, it was onboard required 185107 that was on the 11:17 Manchester Airport for the run to Durham (this is one of the few trains that omits the call at Darlington), then after a 10 minute or so fester it was onboard the 11:42 London Kings Cross with required set BN05, required DVT 82210+ dud loco 91105 for the run to Darlington, where 5 minutes or so later it was back to Newcastle on the 12:06 Edinburgh which had required set BN17, dud loco 91114+ required DVT 82225, spotting 67004 as the Thunderbird loco facing King Edward Bridge. Being as my next Intercity requirements would not be passing through Darlington for another 3 hours or so, I had a look to see what was on the 13:00 Liverpool Lime Street and the 13:17 Manchester Airport, but were both dud. I decided upon having a go at scoring some station visits along the Bishop Auckland line being as I did not want to be too far away from Darlington later on for my requirements, plus it would give me the chance to see if any of the 5 diagrams on the Bishop Auckland – Saltburn route would throw up any of my last remaining 142s.

With the southbound trains seeming to be running with delays, it was straight to Darlington on the very busy and 11 minutes delayed 12:56 ex Aberdeen – London Kings Cross with dud powercars 43251+312, arriving Darlington 15 minutes behind schedule. It was immediately across to the northbound face of the island platform to hop onboard dud 142026 on the 13:40 Bishop Auckland which departed a couple of minutes behind schedule. Deciding to bail at the penultimate stop Shildon (I done the track to Bishop Auckland back in 2015), it was back on the 14:16 Saltburn to Darlington North Road where I only alighted here back in 2017. 10 minutes or so later, it was onboard dud 142094 on the 14:43 Bishop for a County Durham countryside style bus stop bash to Heighington, which has staggered platforms either side of the level crossing. It was around a 30 minute fester with the weather turned to light showers to await the return of 142094 on the 15:25 Saltburn for the run to Bank Top station in Darlington.

Being as I had already seen what the third diagram was at Parkgate Junction on the Bishop trains earlier when on the train from Durham which was dud, I decided to now concentrate on my Intercity requirements as one would be on a northbound service soon. Having nipped out of the station for a walk via the car park and returning via Victoria Road entrance, it was back to the platform with the first port of call being the lavatory. As the 16:09 ex London Kings Cross – Edinburgh was delayed by 7 minutes, this would give me a chance to see what is on the 16:18 Saltburn, but was a dud 142. It was eventually onboard the delayed 16:09 which was required set BN13, dud loco 91104+ required DVT 82213 for the run to Durham, going for a gentle walk around the construction works to reach the southbound platform.

It was back to Darlington on the 16:54 Plymouth via Leeds and Birmingham onboard (to my surprise as I was not expecting it to be) required 221133 which would have 2 trains worth of passengers as the 16:48 Reading via Doncaster was cancelled. Before heading back to Newcastle, I had a quick eyeball to see what was on the 17:18 Saltburn but it was a dud 142. It was onboard the 17:23 Stirling which had dud powercar 43317+ required 206, having cleared the East Coast fleet of powercars. Upon arrival at Newcastle, it was over to Platform 5 for the 17:56 ex Carlisle – Chathill to tidy up one of the limited service stations where I had only alighted from back in 2017. I hopped onboard dud 156472 for some Sprinter thrash to Acklington arriving 5 minutes behind schedule and with this departure seemingly now omitting the northbound Morpeth Loop. During the 55 minute or so fester, the dog had spotted some sheep in the field next to the southbound platform and having gazed at them long enough, the sheep appeared herd away to the far side of the field (which there were lots of them). That is what Border Collies naturally do when meeting sheep.

Having returned to Morpeth on the 19:35 Carlisle on 156472, it was on the 8 minutes delayed 20:01 ex London Kings Cross – Edinburgh Waverley with dud pair 91125+82217 for the non stop run. Making my way over to Platform 10 to see what was on the 21:33 Dunblane, I hopped onboard required 385108 for a run to Polmont, continuing to Glasgow Queen Street on required pair 385026+109 on the 22:06 ex Edinburgh. It was back home to Springburn on the 22:36 Cumbernauld onboard required 385114.

Overall, I happy with my efforts today regarding getting all of my Intercity East Coast requirements with the exception of set BN25 which has DVT 82216. I have unexpectedly got a required 185 and a Crosscountry 221 as well, and have revisited a couple of stations where I have only previously alighted. I will be having a go at getting my final three Class 91s in the near future.

*I had information from the Mk IVs withdrawal thread a few days later from this trip that set BN25 with DVT 82216 had worked its last passenger service a day or two before this trip, and is the third set to go off lease. I can get this one either in Wales or on the open access Blackpool services in the near future.

Established Member
Sounds like you had a canny day there. The same day I was out on one too, we must've been passing each other all day. How you got on 156472 I dunno. I walked up took one look and said no thanks.

adrock1976

Established Member
Northern Newspaper promotional offer 28 June

As I had picked up some copies of the Lancashire Post at Preston station back in May, I would be doing another £10 offer on Northern.I would mainly be concentrating on my last 6 remaining Northern Class 142s (015, 071, 079, 090, 095, and 096).Having being woken up with a big facebath just after 05:30 (I had mentioned to the dog that we would be going on an adventure before settling down for bed last night) to get dressed and take the dog out for a morning run, I had a light breakfast plus prepared plenty of water amongst various equipment for the trip. Ihadset off just before 07:15 for the short walk to Barnhillstation to board dud 320303 on the 07:25 Dumbarton Central to Glasgow Queen Street. Walking across to Glasgow Centralhaving spotted 92043+ Mk V Sleeper in Platform 1, it was onboardthe 08:00 London Euston via Birmingham, which was dud 390016 for the run to Preston, spotting 66743, 37405,70814 hauling oil or LPG tanks northbound, and 66426+ three other Class 66s hauling ballast wagons northbound at Kingmoor. At Carlisle, it seemed that there was a broken down Mk V Sleeper coaches in Platform 1 with the loco 92038 having been uncoupled facing in the Glasgow and Edinburgh direction.

Having bailed at Preston, I nipped up to the booking office to purchase the £10 promotion ticket then for a walk more for the dog to do a pee before continuing on with the action. Having noted various duds, it was over to Platform 2 for the 10:46 ex Blackpool North – York which was required 158752 for the run to Leeds via Halifax. I would like to note here that with my previous requests for the high numbered 142s, they seem to have mainly been around Sheffield or Bishop Auckland – Darlington – Saltburn, with the caveat that it is an unscientific method owing to the Northern Random Unit Generator, hence how I would be gradually making my way in that direction. Having seen various duds at Leeds, I settled for the 12:48 Sheffield via Moorthorpe and hopped onboard dud 144005 (I require 010 and 020 to clear the class) for a run to Goldthorpe. It was a gentle walk via the roadbridge to the northbound platform for a 15 minute or so fester in the shade for the 13:46 Leeds, and my luck was in as it was required 142071 that did the honours for a bus stop bash to Thurnscoe (I am not fussed about mileage at this stage, as long as it is greater than the three-quarters of a mile Stourbridge Junction – Stourbridge Town run).

It was over to the southbound platform for a 35 minute fester in the shade for the 14:26 ex Leeds – Sheffield formed of dud 142021 for the run to Sheffield via Rotherham Central. Having noted duds on the next few Northern departures and having nipped out of the station on the tram side, it was a hike along to Platform 2c to hop onboard dud 142043 on the 15:45 Manchester Piccadilly for a run to Hope (Derbyshire) after being looped soon after departing as the East Midlands Liverpool and Norwich were both delayed therefore allowing them to overtake before proceeding to Dore & Totley. Arrival at Hope was 10 minutes behind schedule at 16:16 for a 20 minute or so fester to board dud 150145 on the 16:38 ex Manchester – Sheffield for a Derbyshire countryside style bus stop bash to Bamford. After nipping out of the station for a walk, it was as expected the return of 150145 on the 17:36 ex Sheffield – Manchester via Bredbury for the run straight to Manchester. It seemed that everything that was running through the famous Platforms 13 and 14 was in meltdown, with the 19:26 ex Airport – Glasgow Central having been revised to start at Preston at 20:06. I eventually hopped onboard dud 158787 onthe 13 minutes delayed 18:47 ex Airport – Barrow-in-Furness for the run to Preston via Golborne, arriving Preston 8 minutes behind schedule at 19:50.

Much to my surprise, the 19:41 ex London Euston – Glasgow Central was still in Platform 3, with the screens having an expected departure time of 20:11 due to waiting for an incoming train crew from Scotland. Having nipped out for a brief walk to see if the dog needed a pee, I decided not to bother with the 20:06 Transpennine as I had worked out that some northbound passengers would change from the delayed 19:41, and that it may get overtaken at Penrith or Carlisle basing this on the previous couple of occasions. It was onboard dud 390153 which departed Preston 50 minutes behind schedule at 20:31 for the run to Glasgow, spotting the same Mk V Sleeper coaches and uncoupled loco in Platform 1 at Carlisle from earlier. Arrival at Glasgow was at 22:51 – 41 minutes behind schedule and also arriving a few minutes behind the 20:06 off Preston. It was over to Queen Street for the 23:04 Springburn for the run back home to Barnhill on dud pair 318266+318264.

Overall, I have got another Northern 142 for haulage and am getting there slowly but surely. I have also got a required 158, and have visited all of the stations between Leeds and Sheffield via Moorthorpe and Rotherham Central, plus have got a couple of the Hope Valley stations too.

adrock1976

Established Member
East Midlands Day Ranger 11 July

As I had my quarterly meeting in London, I decided to have an attempt at reducing my East Midlands powercar requirements (43046, 047, 055, 082, and 089) plus former Great Western dogbox 153368. With Serco having mucked up the introduction of the Mk V stock for the overnight Highlander Caledonian Sleeper again, with very extortionate fares I had decided to slum it in the seats from Falkirk Grahamston to Crewe as the fare was reasonable in comparison to the berth (or rooms on the Mk V stock). Furthermore, as I would be at Crewe first thing in the morning, this meant that I could score the visits of Hartford and Prees as the timings work out better than doing those before the 20:09 ex Euston – Glasgow Central which is the last direct train on Sundays to Fridays. Also, while in the East Midlands and depending on timescales, I would attempt the visit of either Ilkeston or Langley Mill, and would see if any required Crosscountry Class 170s are around.

Having set out the previous night just after 23:00 for the short walk to Springburn, it was onboard required 385006 on the 23:17 Springburn – Falkirk Grahamston (as platform lengthening works are taking place at Glasgow Queen Street high level, the Edinburgh via Cumbernauld and Anniesland via Maryhill Park have been curtailed to Springburn and Ashfield respectively) for the run to Grahamston. After a 30 minute fester it was on the 00:34 ex Inverness– London Euston sleeper with this portion being hauled by required 67020 as far as Edinburgh Waverley. Of note, the train was using Platforms 7 and 11 at Edinburgh Waverley with the electric loco that would be hauling all three coupled portions to London having been spotted was dud 90042 – the third or fourth time I’ve had this loco to London. I did manage to get a couple of naps after the train left Edinburgh 19minutes or so behind schedule at 01:59, with arrival into Platform 6 at Crewe being a couple of minutes ahead of schedule at 05:36.

After nipping outside for some fresh air to try to help me wake up slightly and to collect a bundle of tickets from the machine, it was a hike over to Platform 12 for the 06:33 Liverpool Lime Street formed of dud 350258 for a run to Hartford, then 15 minutes later it was on the 07:02 ex Liverpool LS – London Euston via Birmingham and Northampton formed of dud 350265 for the run back to Crewe. Having got some tea from the Upper Crust on the Platforms 6 to 11 island, 331006+103 were spotted arriving into Platform 6 before returning north at 07:24. It was another hike to Platform 12 for the unusual route 07:34 Birmingham International via Shrewsbury formed of dud 158821 for a run to the request stop of Prees. Caledonian Sleeper locos 92033 and 92006, and 57003 and 68009 were some of the locos that were spotted at Gresty Bridge soon after departing Crewe. I returned back to Crewe after a 20 minute or so fester on the 08:20 ex Llandrindod Wells formed of dud 153303, with one other passenger who boarded the train with me and nobody alighting.

Making my way over to Platform 4 it was onboard the 09:02 London Euston via Stoke-on-Trent, Birmingham, and Northampton formed of dud 350369 (so as to give my phone some charge) for a run to Kidsgrove spotting 66029 at the back of the Arriva Traincare depot as well as uncoupled coaches of the Pretendolino set, then 5 minutes or so later onboard the 09:23 ex Crewe – Derby formed of required 158773 (which I had surprisingly saw at Crewe as I was expecting a dogbox) straight to Derby, spotting dud dogboxes on the other 2 Derby – Crewe diagrams during the journey. Also, during the course of this leg of the trip (and with many thanks to forum member 37078xotTE) I had news that 4 out of 5 powercars had allocations, and even though 153368 was mainly over in Lincoln and Grimsby, it would be in Nottingham later on working the Ivanhoe Project (Part 1) this evening.

I made my way to Nottingham on the 10:41 ex Cardiff Central – Nottingham onboard dud 170114, and being as I had a big gap for one of the required powercars, I worked out that I could have a run to either Langley Mill or Ilkeston and back. Having attempted the hike to Platform 4, it was onboard dud 150124 on the 11:17 Leeds via Sheffield and Barnsley for a run to Ilkeston, where I decided to bail as the train had lost a few minutes along the way and with the southbound from Leeds running more or less to time, I did not want to hang around for 60 minutes at Langley Mill as there are only a few minutes between trains in opposite directions. I returned to Nottingham onboard dud 158904 on the few minutes delayed 11:45 ex Leeds, making another hike from Platform 4 to Platform 5 for my next move as although I still had a lot of time, I had spotted something required.

I hopped onboard required 170106 that was on the 12:07 Cardiff Central for a run to Beeston, returning to Nottingham on the 12:33 ex Matlock – Newark Castle onboard required pair of dogboxes 153326+310. Having made another hike from Platform 4 to Platform 7, it was onboard the 12:45 London St Pancras which had dud 43064+ required 43047 for a run to East Midlands Parkway to meet my second required powercar to return to Nottingham. A few minutes later after the Norwich train passed through on diversion, it was back to Nottingham on the 13:00 ex St Pancras which had First Class at the front with the powercars being dud 43050+ required 43089. Due to a combination of having a big gap for my next intended target and having spotted a required Crosscountry Class 170, my next port of call was to nip to the Tesco store to pick up some provisions before my next move.

Making my way to Platform 6 after returning to the station, it was onboard required 170519 on the 13:41 Birmingham New Street for a run to Wilnecote (Staffordshire). 40 minutes or so later I returned east on a very busy and required 170109 that was on the 10 minutes delayed 15:05 ex Cardiff Central – Nottingham as far as Beeston, spotting 57305 south of Platform 1 at Derby, and 37605, 37198, 82129, 82126, 57310, 97302, and 43013+014 on the New Measurement Train on the London side of the tracks opposite Etches Park depot. Being as my next 2 required powercars are on northbound workings later on and finish the day at at the depot immediately afterwards, I would be making my way to Leicester. I hopped on required 170520 on the 16:12 Cardiff for a run to Long Eaton, and around 20 minutes later it was on a very busy and required 222018 straight to Leicester. As the train was busy and being as I was not standing next to the door as other passengers were there, I was unable to see what was in the yard at Humberstone Road. While I was here at Leicester, I decided to take a run to Narborough on dud pair 170116+398 on the 17:18 Birmingham New Street, returning back to Leicester on the 17:36 ex Birmingham – Cambridge onboard required 170636 having visited all of the Crosscountry only served stations except Water Orton between Birmingham and the Derby/Nottingham/Leicester triangle (I did Burton upon Trent back in 1989).

While checking online to see if I could do a run to Melton Mowbray and back, I realised that I have hit a bogie gap now as it was not possible for me to take a run east and back, and also I would have had to rely on the ex Stansted – Birmingham running on time with the 18:47 ex London due at Leicester being a minimum of 10 minutes late that had one of my required powercars on that. As I had around a 50 minute gap before the previously mentioned 18:47 ex London – Nottingham, I went for a wander to search for something cold and wet and stumbled upon a Wetherspoons. I returned back to the station for the slightly delayed 18:47 Nottingham that had dud 43058+ required 43055 for the run to Beeston, having seen required 222009 on the 19:18 London just departing. Having switched to my alternative plan so as not to let my fourth required powercar and 153368 slip away (my preferred plan was to head to Loughborough to meet the London – Sheffield that had the required powercar), it was onboard dud 156498 on the 19:25 ex Newark Castle – Matlock for a run to Long Eaton for a 20 minute fester or so to await the 19:59 ex London – Sheffield which had required 43082+ dud 43049 for the run to Derby.

Making my way over to Platform 6 for the 20:15 ex Matlock – Nottingham, it was onboard dud pair from earlier 153326+310 for the run to Beeston, then onboard dud 153355+ required 153368 (still retains the Great Western seat cushions) that was on the 20:42 ex Nottingham – Leicester for some dogbox thrash to Loughborough. A little over 15 minutes later, it was straight to London onboard required 222023 on the 21:15 ex Nottingham, spotting 66555 hauling DB ballast wagons northbound at Leicester. Upon arrival at St Pancras, it was downstairs to the Thameslink platforms for the 23:05 Gatwick Airport onboard required 700133 to Blackfriars, to wait for the 6 minutes delayed 23:21 ex St Albans City – Sutton via Wimbledon onboard required 700055 to Elephant & Castle. It was a short walk along Walworth Road to check into the Safestay hostel to settle down for the night.

Overall, I am happy with today’s efforts in that I have managed to get round to scoring Hartford, Prees, Ilkeston, Wilnecote, and Narborough, reducing my East Midlands formerBritish Rail requirements down to 1 powercar, 3 dogboxes, 1 Class 156, and 10 Class 158s. I have also reduced my Crosscountry Class 170 requirements down to 4 remaining.

adrock1976

Established Member
London bits and pieces 12 July

The main aim of today was for me to have a go at getting my last three non-Renatus Class 321s (321338, 343, and 346), 317657 (as there is a big chance that will be going off lease and most likely for scrap), and my final 2 Great Western Class 387s that are due to be used on the Heathrow Express in the near future (387139 and 141). Depending on what is allocated and at what time of the day, I would also have a go at getting some 455s, 456s, 465s, and 466s south of the Thames. Again, I would like to say a big thank you to forum member 37078xotTE and also fellow forum member FGW_DID (for 387141 on a one way Paddington – Reading working this afternoon) as my luck was in today as with the exception of 321343, my requirements are gettable.

Having had a reasonable night’s sleep and as I was taking things easy, I had set off out the door at around 10:30 for the walk to Elephant & Castle station and having checked the screen I noticed that there were a couple of delays to some of the Thameslink trains. The first northbound was due at 10:44 which I hopped onboard required 700022 for the short run to Blackfriars. Checking the screen there for the next northbound departure, it was a Cambridge train which meant that I can finally grice the Canal Tunnel so it was onboard required 700121 for the run to Finsbury Park. Switching to the London Underground Victoria Line, it was dud 11069+070 that took me to Tottenham Hale (I did not want to hang around to see if any of my remaining sets are out as I was keeping an eye on the time, plus also it was a hot sunny day) arriving at around 11:15 for me to meet my first required target of the day.

Switching to National Rail and making my way to the London platform for the 11:26 Stratford, it was onboard dud 317649+ required 317657 for the run to Stratford where my luck was in as the train arrived at Stratford 5 minutes ahead of schedule at 11:35, and as the 11:36 ex Colchester Town was a couple of minutes delayed, I made a massive sprint from Platform 11 to Platform 9 to board a double 321 set formed of required 321338+ dud 446 for the run to Liverpool Street (the outbound working would run next to Clacton then empty to Colchester before working the Thorpe-le-Soken – Walton on the Naze shuttle later on), spotting 66602 hauling Freightliner wagons eastbound in the vicinity of the Olympic Park.

Having nipped into the Tesco store along Bishopsgate, I decided to try having a short spell south of the Thames and come back for my other three required targets later on being as two of those are allocated this afternoon. So far, it is noted that I have avoided using the Bakerloo Line to cross the Thames as it is hot today, the Bakerloo is notorious for being like a sauna and stuffy. I had a gentle stroll to Moorgate to take the first train to Finsbury Park on the 12:20 Welwyn Garden City onboard dud pair 313048+052 for some 1976 style motor noise through the Northern City tunnels. While switching platforms at Finsbury Park, as I was going up the stairs to Platforms 1 & 2 I had heard the sound of a garment tearing at the seam with me noticed it was my jeans had split at the crotch. My next mission once I am south of the Thames is to locate a charity shop and purchase either jeans or shorts as I do not feel like spending the rest of the day walking around similar to the entertainer PJ Proby (for those of an older generation, PJ Proby was famous for wearing trousers and jeans onstage that were split at the crotch). I had found a Metro newspaper which came in handy so as to cover my crotch simply by carrying the newspaper in front. It was soon onboard required 700136 that was on the 12:38 Horsham for a run to East Croydon, also gricing the Bermondsey flyover (I had already done the dive under last summer).

After alighting the train, I went for a walk to the pedestrianised area having passed a mad lady who was sitting on a bench and shouting out to passers by that she would be offering money to anybody who can sing her an Elvis Presley song. She was holding a very large wad of £20 notes from what I could tell, with her carer (or somebody known to her) trying to get her to put the money away. I eventually stumbled upon the Scope charity shop across from West Croydon station and my luck was in as I had found some Slazenger shorts in nearly new condition that fitted me perfectly. Making my way down to the London platform and having let a pair of dud 377s go on the Victoria via Crystal Palace service (I had expected 455s as I seem to remember 455s being on the Crystal palace route), it was on the 13:56 Victoria via Norbury onboard required pair 377624+604 for the run straight to Victoria, spotting 66107 hauling MRL wagons southbound at Wandsworth Common.

Being as I had spotted a required 466 on the 14:42 Gillingham (Kent), I decided to take a run to Bromley South via Catford onboard required 466005+ dud 465926, returning to Victoria via Beckenham Junction on the 15:19 starter from Platform 2 (I had spotted a required 465 at Victoria) onboard required 465179, gricing the crossover northbound. I would like to mention that I have stated previously that me venturing south of the Thames feels like visiting a foreign country, as the former Southern Region had VEPs, CEPS, REPs, GLVs, SUBs, Thumpers, and an electrification system that is not normally used for mainline heavy rail routes nowadays. During the course of the journey, it appeared that I was the only English speaking passenger in the coach I was in, as I had somebody from Eastern Europe on the opposite row, somebody speaking an African language, a Chinese lady speaking Mandarin, and much to my surprise, a lady who (going by the flag on her bag) was speaking Irish Gaelic going by the numerous telephone conversations that were taking place. On the approach to Victoria, 67021+024 were spotted on the Belmond Pullman heading southbound near Grosvenor Bridge.

Having arrived at Victoria, I decided to see if there were anymore required 465/466s around while I was here, and having noted a required 465 on the 16:06 Gravesend via Blackheath, it was onboard dud 465033+ required 465172 for a run to Lewisham, returning back to Victoria on the 16:32 ex Gravesend onboard dud pair 465195+465024. While I have been engrossed in having a go at reducing Networker requirements, I realised that I had totally forgot about 321346 that was on the 15:48 Liverpool Street – Braintree then a Southend Victoria working before returning to depot (which I would need to be on Great Western Railway metals at that time), therefore I will have another go when I am next in London around mid October. With me switching to the Underground after arriving at Victoria (and still wanting to avoid the Bakerloo Line), it was to the District/Circle Line westbound platform to hop onboard dud 21477+478 straight to Paddington (Praed Street station).

Making my way over to Platform 9 for the 17:49 Didcot Parkway, this was a trio of 387s formed of dud 387145+ dud 146+ required 141 for a run to Twyford running along the Main Lines as far as Slough then switching to the Relief Lines thereafter. Arrival at Twyford was 8 or 9 minutes behind schedule at 18:25 due to following a late running stopping service along the Relief Lines. Rapidly making my way over the footbridge to Platform 5 for the 7 minutes delayed 18:23 Henley-on-Thames (this is a recognised connecting service that is held for late running trains from London) onboard dud 166204 for a run to Wargrave and back to Twyford on the same train having visited all the stations along this branchline. It was across to the adjacent Platform 4 spotting 66591 hauling containers eastbound at 18:57 before boarding the slightly delayed 18:58 ex Reading onboard dud pair 387133+162 for the run to Burnham (having somehow forgot to bail at Maidenhead so as to see what was on the Bourne End shuttle). I returned to Maidenhead on the slightly delayed 19:17 Reading onboard required 387158+ dud 167, nipping out of the station for a short while.

It was back to the station for the slightly delayed 19:46 Bourne End for a run to Furze Platt and back onboard dud 165121, which leaves me with Cookham to visit on this branch line in future. Back at Maidenhead, it was over to the adjacent Platform 4 for the 20:16 ex Reading for the run straight back to Paddington onboard required 387139+ dud 165, spotting 66075 hauling Suez containers westbound at Southall. I decided to make my way south of the Thames after picking up some provisions from the Sainsbury’s store and this time I decided to brave the Bakerloo Line for a run to Waterloo on dud pair 3262+3531. I made my upstairs to see if anything was required that would be calling at Vauxhall, Wimbledon, or Surbiton.

Having seen various duds from the buffer ends, I settled upon a very busy 21:42 Basingstoke for a run to Surbiton onboard dud 450092, returning back to Waterloo on the 22:02 ex Hampton Court onboard required 456011+ dud 455701+ dud 455861. Next up was the 22:39 Guildford via Epsom for a run to Vauxhall onboard dud 456012+ dud 455726+ required 455913, immediately returning back to Waterloo on the 22:43 loop train onboard dud 455742+ required 455869+ required 456024. I would do one more run to Vauxhall and back heading out on the 22:50 Woking onboard required 455915+ dud 455728, returning back to Waterloo on the 23:13 loop train onboard dud 455710+ required 455715 having declined the 22:59, 23:03, and 23:10 as they were all dud. I made my way to the southbound Bakerloo Line to board dud pair 3266+3544 to Lambeth North, then to Elephant & Castle onboard dud 3248+ required 3567 a few minutes later to bring the day’s action to an end.

Overall, despite me having forgot about one of my targets for today, this was compensated for various requirements south of the Thames. I have had all of 387130-141 for haulage as those will be going to Heathrow Express in the near future. I have visited all of the stations along the Henley-on-Thames branch line, got a 317 that is most likely going for scrap soon plus a non-Renatus Class 321 that will be going off lease at some point in the future, and starting to make inroads as to peeling off the Class 700s.

Last edited:

Established Member
Them were two very profitable days out, bar the Jean's ofcourse. Never heard of PJ Proby but did have a butchers to see who he was, I believe this is he.
FB_IMG_1564268712800.jpg
Plenty winners in them days adrock. Shame about the one that got away but you seem.to have more than made up for it.
Great read too.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Certainly a productive visit to the capital there. I must point out 165121 was had on both the Henley and Marlow branches, clearly a typo of course.

adrock1976

Established Member
More London bits and pieces 13 July

As today is the day of my quarterly meeting, I would be having another go at reducing south of the Thames requirements later on before heading straight to my mum’s tomorrow as it is a big birthday she has (and just maybe the final one as my mum was born in 1939 and the female members on my mum’s side of the family have all lived into their late 80s). Furthermore, I was under instructions from my partner to stop off at the food hall in Harrods to get something for my mum, which would also give me a chance for some linear hops on the Piccadilly Line depending if it is not too hot or stuffy. Again, I would like to say another big thank you to forum member 37078xotTE as out of the five 455/8 requirements I had chose to target (as I require the most of that subclass at this moment in time compared to the /7s and /9s), with three of those in service today (865, 866, and 873) with the other two (859 and 871) sitting at Wimbledon depot with no allocation for today.

Having had a reasonable night’s sleep I had set off out the door at around 09:10 for the walk to Elephant & Castle station and having checked the screen the first northbound was due at 09:24which I hopped onboard required 700005 for the short run to Blackfriars. Checking the screen there for the next northbound departure, it was a Kentish Town train so it was onboard required 700043 for the run to St Pancras International. Switching to the London Underground Victoria Line, it was dud 11067+068that took me to Highbury & Islington for the short bus ride along Holloway Road to the meeting venue at Manor Gardens.

After the meeting ended and a post-meeting drink at the Coronet, it was to Holloway Road station for the Piccadilly Line to Knightsbridge. Being as it was not too hot or stuffy, and with the trains running at frequent intervals of every 2 to 4 minutes, I decided to do some linear hops with requirements highlighted in bold:

177+152 Holloway Road – Caledonian Road
106+155 Caledonian Road – Kings Cross St Pancras
151+876/877 Kings Cross St Pancras – Russell Square
896/897+207 Russell Square – Holborn (I let the next train go as both halves were dud)
170+868/869 Holborn – Covent Garden
246+159 Covent Garden – Leicester Square
199+192 Leicester Square – Piccadilly Circus
124+217 Piccadilly Circus – Green Park
157+112 Green Park – Hyde Park Corner
220+864/865 Hyde Park Corner – Knightsbridge

After nipping into Harrods, I would make my way to Waterloo via the Piccadilly and Jubilee and would do some linear hops along the way. From knightsbridge it was onboard required 130+ dud 123 to Hyde Park Corner and onto recently now dud pair 106+155 (there was a 6 or 7 minute gap for the next train) to Green Park. Changing to the Jubilee, it was onboard required 96105+ dud 010 to Westminster, then to Waterloo on dud 96027+ required 028. My next port of call was to stop off at the Tesco store to pick up some provisions before starting to hunt for my required targets of the 3 455s that are in service. Also, I would be keeping a lookout for other requirements as well, and for easier readability, I have listed the moves below as I would not be venturing too far away with requirements highlighted in bold. As it would be more or less the same stations I would be taking runs out to and back, I have used the three letter codes which are WAT (Waterloo), VXH (Vauxhall), and WIM (Wimbledon).

455865 20:24 WAT – WIM
465866 20:44 WIM – VXH (I spotted a 707 in passenger service for the first time)
456023+455724 21:10 VXH – WIM (21:01 ex WAT loop train cancelled)
455873 21:35 WIM – WAT
455706 21:54 WAT – VXH
455723+738+456007 21:59 VXH – WAT (I saw this heading to Chessington South earlier)
455735 22:39 WAT – WIM
458502+530 23:02 WIM – WAT

I went downstairs to the Bakerloo Line to head straight back to Elephant & Castle onboard dud pair 3242+3540.

Overall, I am satisfied with the efforts this evening as I have got some more Piccadilly Line stock for haulage, got my three intended 455s plus 2 additional ones, a 456, and a 458. I have also got a couple more 700s as well from this morning.

adrock1976

Established Member
Homeward bound via the West Midlands 14 July

Being as I would be heading to my mum’s today and heading back home later on, I do not expect to get any requirements today. Having checked out and being out of the door just before 09:15, I walked along to Elephant & Castle for the Bakerloo Line straight to Marylebone. As both trains in the platforms were dud pairs, I opted for the first departure with 3242+3540 doing the honours. I got myself some tea and a veg pasty from the West Cornwall Pasty Co kiosk before making my way to Platform 3 for the 10:10 Birmingham Moor Street to board dud 168112 for the run to Birmingham. Due to the big gap between trains here, I made a rapid dash to the Tesco store along New Street at the junction of Temple Street to get some prosecco for my mum before boarding dud pair 172216+213 on the 12:16 Worcester to Cradley Heath. Walking up to High Street, it was around a 20 minute or so fester for the bus to take me to my mum’s.

After spending some time with the birthday celebrations, I had set off just after 18:05 as there is a bus due at 18:13. Being as it was operated by Diamond bus, the driver had an issue with my Plusbus ticket believing that it is only for use on the West Midlands buses (former corporation, now National Express). I explained that it is for any operator and I firmly mentioned that I have a train to catch to Glasgow. During the journey to Dudley, I pulled up the Plusbus page online and shown it to the driver when I got off at the bus station, explaining that Diamond is a participating operator in the Plusbus scheme. 10 minutes or so later it was on the 87 to Oldbury where I then walked along Bromford Lane to Sandwell & Dudley station, arriving there at around 18:55.

As there was a Shrewsbury train due at 19:15 and as I had overlapping tickets, I decided to see what was on that. In rolled a pair of 170s which was formed of dud 170512+ required 515that I hopped onboard for the run to Wolverhampton. It was soon onboard the 19:37 Glasgow Central and as expected was dud pair 221102+118 that did the honours, spotting 67014 coupled to a TPE Mk V set, 397004, 397005, 350253, and 350106 at the Arriva Traincare works at Crewe. At Crewe station, 350103 and 350244 were uncoupled in Platform 7, with 175004 in Platform 9. Arrival at Glasgow Central was 12 minutes behind schedule at 23:33 due to there being a fault with the tilt mechanism. I then made my way home on the 57 bus which I only had a couple of minutes wait for.

adrock1976

Established Member
South Pennines Day Ranger 25 July

This was another trip into Northern land with me mainly concentrating on the east side of the Pennines for another go at clearing some more of 1985’s finest machines (Class 142 Pacers) as I require 5 of the Northern fleet. Having risen at 06:00 and after some breakfast, (and while I was getting ready, one of my bootlaces had snapped, but I quickly grabbed a spare lace and would fix that later) it was out of the door just after 07:10 for the walk to Barnhill station, boarding the 07:25 Dumbarton Central formed of dud 334007 for the run to Glasgow Queen Street, then a walk over to Central for the 08:00 London Euston via Birmingham. Having looked at the screen and hearing the manual announcement that it had been cancelled due to an earlier broken down train. It seems that I am not having a good start to the day so far. I hung around for the 08:40 London Euston via Trent Valley Railway and hopped onboard dud 390141 for the run to Preston, having sorted out the lace for the boot during the fester. 350407 was on the 09:09 Manchester Airport and 221120 was on the 09:00 Plymouth via Leeds and Birmingham. At Kingmoor, various 56s, 66s, and 37404 were spotted.

After bailing at Preston and having nipped outside for some fresh air, it was onboard required 319365 on the 11:22 ex Blackpool North – Manchester Airport via Bolton for the run to Manchester Oxford Road. During the course of this leg of the journey, I had news that as things presently stand, my four targets of 142079, 090, 095, and 096 were on the east side of the Pennines (015 mainly works on the west side of the Pennines nowadays as that has recently transferred from Heaton to Newton Heath), and also not on the Bishop Auckland – Saltburn circuit. Having purchased the ranger it was onboard dud 185123 on the 12:38 ex Manchester Airport – Newcastle for the run to Leeds via Manchester Victoria, scoring the Ordsall Curve for the first time. Arrival at Leeds was 5 minutes behind schedule at 13:40, spotting 800110 on the 14:15 London Kings Cross.

Making my way from Platform 15 to Platform 11, it was onboard my first target which was required 142096 that was on the 13:48 Sheffield via Bolton upon Dearne. I remained on all the way to Sheffield spotting 800109 at Wakefield Westgate along the way.The train washeld at Rotherham Central to allow a late running northbound train to arrive due to the single track section. Arrival at Sheffield was 12 minutes behind schedule at 15:13. My intention was to take a run to Meadowhall so as to meet the 15:34 ex Hull – Sheffield which had been booked for required 142095, but was cancelled at Hull. Being as the trains were running with delays due to various speed restrictions across the network, I decided to head back to Leeds on the 18 minutes delayed 15:21 ex Penzance – Glasgow Central onboard dud 220007. My next intended target of required 142079 that would be on the 16:48 Sheffield via Bolton upon Dearne had been cancelled (this is the diagram that does a Morecambe run earlier on).

Switching to my fourth required target, it was eventually over to Platform 8 for the 17:05 Huddersfield via Halifax to hop onboard required 142090 for the run to Halifax arriving 9 minutes behind schedule at 17:51 due to the engines not wanting to take power upon departing New Pudsey. On a side note, I seem to remember reading somewhere on the forum that it is this 142 that has been the most temperamental, with a suggestion that it may be one of the first batch to be scrapped, therefore am happy that I have got this one at long last for haulage. Upon checking the screens at Halifax, the Manchester bound trains were running with delays so nipped out of the station for a leg stretch, having forgot about the 5 minutes delayed 17:54 ex Leeds – Manchester Victoria. I hung around for the 9 minutes delayed 18:14 ex Leeds – Victoria (with the screen saying formed of 1 coach) and hopped onboard dud pair 158910+153317 for the run to Manchester Victoria arriving 7 minutes behind schedule at 19:12.

With the trains running haywire as expected, I was concentrating on making my way towards Wigan or Preston. While checking the screen, the 19:05 Blackpool North local had not departed as the inbound train was running late. It was eventually onboard dud 319381 departing Victoria 20 minutes behind schedule for the run straight to Preston. As the 20:06 ex Manchester Airport – Glasgow Central had more or less departed after drawing into the adjacent Platform 1, the 19:41 ex London Euston – Glasgow had been cancelled with the 19:56 Edinburgh being delayed by 40 minutes. The 20:41 ex London Euston – Glasgow was running 50 minutes late due to earlier problems with the overhead wires further south, and eventually it was onboard dud 390124 straight to Glasgow arriving at 23:55. Being as onward connections were well and truly busted for everybody, taxis were arranged for passengers making onward connections to places like Johnstone, Greenock, Edinburgh, St Andrews (group of 8), Falkirk, Polmont, Stirling, and me for Springburn. Obviously as I was not able to complete my intended journey by rail, a Delay Repay claim has been submitted.

Overall, I did manage to get 2 out of my 4 intended targets today, and were it not for cancellations I would have got all 4. I have also unexpectedly peeled off another Northern 319, of which I only require 8 of the original /3 subclass (plus the will they, won't they be converted 769 conversions). Regarding the 142s, I require 3 Northern and 3 from the Wales fleet. I also require 2 143s from Wales and 2 144s (010 and 020) to clear the Pacer family of trains. I am getting there slowly but surely.

Iskra

Established Member
Sounded a good trip and a 50% success rate on 142's isn't bad considering the issues encountered and yes, when the railway starts going majorly wrong you do need to prioritise getting home! Always nice to get some delay repay too :)

adrock1976

Established Member
South Pennines Day Ranger 09 August

This was another trip into Northern land with me mainly concentrating on the east side of the Pennines for another go at clearing some more of 1985’s finest machines (Class 142 Pacers) as I require 3 of the Northern fleet, plus my remaining 2 Class 144s. Having risen at 06:00 and after some breakfast, it was out of the door just after 07:10 for the walk to Barnhill station, boarding the 07:25 Dumbarton Central formed of dud 334003for the run to Glasgow Queen Street, then a walk over to Central for the 08:00 London Euston via Birmingham. It was on board dud 390112 for the run to Preston, arriving 12 minutes behind schedule at 10:27. At Kingmoor, 66714 was spotted hauling Castle Cement wagons in the London direction, and 57302 and 37409 were spotted here as well. At Carlisle, 390117 was on the 10 minutes delayed 09:01 Edinburgh, and a 57 was spotted in the goods loop west of Platform 1 (possibly 309, as that always seems to be there).

After bailing at Preston and having nipped outside for some fresh air, it was onboard dud 319373 on the 11:22 ex Blackpool North – Manchester Airport via Bolton for the run to Manchester Oxford Road. During the course of this leg of the journey, I had news that as things presently stand, my targets of 142015 and 095 were at Heaton and had no allocation today, with 079 on the Darlington – Saltburn workings. Both the 144s (010 and 020) would be around Sheffield later on, with my wildcard option of 180104 being at Crofton with no allocation for today. Having purchased the ranger and checking the screen both the Transpennine 12:38 ex Manchester Airport – Newcastle and the 13:08 Manchester Airport – Middlesbrough had been cancelled. Having decided what to do next, it was eventually onboard dud 158813 (just a two coach train, even though the screen mentioned four – there was a problem with the lights in the 158 that was left behind) on the 12 minutes delayed 12:38 ex Liverpool Lime Street– Norwich for the run to Sheffield via Stockport, spotting 47815 at Mayfield with its headlights facing London, and 66537 at Heaton Norris hauling flatbed wagons northbound.

When the train had not long passed through Chinley, there was a problem with the engine with the train soon coming to a stand. This meant that the route eastbound was blocked, and being as the Transpennine Class 185s can only couple within the class, it would be a wait for the next Liverpool – Norwich train to arrive and couple up. Eventually, the next Norwich arrived to couple to the faulty 158, and was on the way to Sheffield arriving 120 minutes behind schedule at 15:34. The 2 158s that had coupled were dud 158852+ required 158863, which helped to ease the frustration of the delay. Being as I already had a rough plan that obviously is now out of the window, I checked the workings of both 144s and decided not to bother with a run to Darlington for 142079 due to the limited amount of time I have here now.

Eventually, it was onboard my first target which was required 144010 that was on the 16:30 Hull local stations for a run to Meadowhall Interchange. My intention next was to take the Huddersfield train to Silkstone Common so as to meet my other required 144, but being as I needed the lavatory it was over towards the shopping centre and back. I decided to take a run to Chapeltown onboard dud 144007 that was on the 17:08 Leeds via Castleford, returning to Sheffield on the 5 minutes delayed 17:15 ex Huddersfield onboard required 144020, having cleared that class and saves me chasing after them in the future.

Having arrived at Sheffield 10 minutes behind schedule at 17:38, it was straight over to Platform 7 for the 6 minutes delayed 17:40 ex Norwich – Liverpool for the run to Manchester Piccadilly via Stockport onboard dud pair 158852+865, then onboard the 5 minutes delayed 18:47 ex Manchester Airport – Barrow in Furness (the screens had the 19:01 Blackpool North being cancelled – the third time I’ve seen that. I’m wondering if that train actually runs at all) on dud 158907 for the run to Preston via Golborne Junction. I made my way back home on the 14 minutes delayed 19:41 onboard much to my surprise required 390117 straight to Glasgow Central, arriving 25 minutes behind schedule at 22:35. Making my way gently over to Queen Street, it was onboard dud pair 320301+318252 on the 23:03 for the run to Barnhill.

Overall, despite being on a train that had broken down, I did manage to get my final two Class 144s, plus a required 390 that was unexpected.

Iskra

Established Member
Well done on clearing the 144's. Sounded a frustrating day otherwise. Obviously, a visit to Chapeltown South Yorkshire must have been a highlight ;) If you ever visit again, the 'Spoons next to the station is one of the best around :)

adrock1976

Established Member
Lancashire Day Ranger 15 August

This was another trip into Northern land, but with meconcentrating on the west side of the Pennines for a change so as to have a go at gricing the track towards Hindley from Wigan North Western, plus having a go at reducing my Merseyrail requirements (I require 8 507/508s in total). Having risen at 05:30 and after some breakfast, it was out of the door just after 06:10 for the walk to Barnhill station, boarding the 07:25Dumbarton Central formed of dud 334003 for the run to Glasgow Queen Street, then a walk over to Centralspotting 92018+197 (last three digits on the Mk V coaches)+ 92023 (London end) in Platform 1. I hopped onboard the 08:00 London Euston via Birmingham on dud 390157 for the run to Preston, spotting 56091+56xxx, 88006, and 37259 at Kingmoor, with resident Thunderbird 57309 in the goods loop west of Platform 1 at Carlisle, with 158906 in Platform 5/6 on a Newcastle departure. 47593 was in the shunt neck south of the station. After bailing at Preston, it was upstairs to the booking office to purchase the Lancashire Day Ranger with relative ease as always.

Having had let some duds go, I settled for the 11:29 ex Blackpool North – Liverpool Lime Street and hopped onboard dud 319361 for the run to Wigan North Western. It was over the road to Wallgate so as to see what was on the 11:58 Kirkby shuttle, which was dud 142078 that I hopped on for the run to Rainford and back. This meant that I have scored the grice into and out of Platform 3 at Wallgate. Making my way over the road back to North Western, it was over to Platform 1 for the 13:08 Stalybridge via Bolton and onboard dud 156425 for a run to Hindley, switching to the opposite platform for the slightly delayed 13:15 ex Manchester Victoria – Wigan Wallgate onboard dud pair 142029+142003 for a Lancashire style bus stop bash to Ince and back to Hindley on the same pair just over 25 minutes or so later. After a 5 minute or so fester, I headed back to Wigan North Western on the 13:52 ex Alderley Edge onboard dud pair 142043+150106, arriving into Platform 1 at North Western having griced the crossovers to Hindley from North Western. It is noted that I have also griced the not very often used crossovers between Wallgate and Golborne Junction back in July 2018, while the line via both Atherton and Bolton was closed between Salford Crescent and Wigan.

Being as I was not having much luck in reducing my requirements so far (I require 6 each of 150s and 156s, plus 3 158s of the Northern diesel fleet as well as my last three 142s), I would make my way over to Liverpool so as to have a go at reducing my 507/508 requirements. I made my way over to Platform 6 for the not yet departed 13:53 Liverpool Lime Street local via St Helens Central and hopped onboard dud 319381. Around 5 minutes or so later, it was announced that due to a train fault, that this train would be cancelled and there would be another train soon arriving on the same platform that would be running non-stop to Liverpool. Switching to the train in front, it was onboard dud 156427 for the non-stop run to Lime Street, having departed Wigan NW 22 minutes behind schedule at 14:15 and arriving at Lime Street 3 minutes behind schedule at 14:44, spotting 66056 at Bootle Branch Junction facing London, and 66764, 66706, and a Class 60 at Edge Hill.

Having made a gentle walk across to Liverpool Central, it was downstairs to the Northern Line platforms to see if any required 507/508s were about. As I had ascertained that the three Kirkby diagrams were all dud, as a couple of the Ormskirk were dud too, I decided to take a run to Bank Hall so as to see if there are any requirements on the Southport – Hunts Cross route. As I would be keeping an eye out for anything required and maybe squeezing in a couple of station visits, I have listed the moves below with requirements highlighted in bold:

507003 15:38 Liverpool Central – Bank Hall
507028+508131 16:21 Bank Hall – Sandhills
507027 16:30 Sandhills – Bank Hall
508140 17:02 Bank Hall – Hillside
507012+507027 17:49 Hillside – Ainsdale
507007+507008 17:59 Ainsdale – Southport

After nipping to the lavatory, it was on the 18:24 Leeds for a short run to Meols Cop onboard dud 156485. Soon after the train departed, both screens had changed for the 18:32 ex Blackburn and the 18:52 Blackburn via Todmorden had been cancelled. I hung around for the 18:58 ex Leeds and boarded dud pair 150150+142088 for the short run to Southport, switching to the 142 for the 19:26 return working for the run to Wigan Wallgate. Making my way across the road to North Western, it was onboard dud 390001 that was on the 7 minutes delayed 20:01 ex London Euston – Lancaster for the run to Preston, arriving 12 minutes behind schedule at 20:26. I hopped onboard the 20:41 for the run to Glasgow Central with dud 390156 doing the honours, arriving at Glasgow more or less on time at 23:10. Making my way over to Queen Street for the 23:33 Springburn, it was onboard dud pair 320304+320309 for the run home to Barnhill.

Overall, even though I did not have much luck with the Northern diesel fleet today, I have reduced my Merseyrail requirements from 8 to 5 (including the recently fire damaged 507020). Plus I have managed to score the visits of the stations around the Southport area and also Rainford which also included the grice of Wigan Wallgate Platform 3. I have also griced the track between Wigan North Western and the Hindley direction too.

Status
Not open for further replies.