• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Air Band radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ascot

Established Member
Those who have one tune into 5.680 on USB mode. That Search and Rescue that's happening in the Shetlands is being used on this from the Navy and RAF Nimrods + Seakings and Divers!!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ascot

Established Member
Yes but god knows how many people who do it and that don't care. It's a good hobby and very interesting in cases like this.

2 Nimrods on search

Puma doing shuttles to and from Prestwick with Divers.

Much more than the BBC knows anyway. THey still think 5 are missing

adambro

Yes it is illegal but as has been noted, many people do it. My amateur radio licence requires that if I hear any transmissions that I shouldn't, that I do not divulge the information to anyone. I would suggest that would be a good idea in this case also despite how interesting it might be.

Ascot

Established Member
Yes it is illegal but as has been noted, many people do it. My amateur radio licence requires that if I hear any transmissions that I shouldn't, that I do not divulge the information to anyone. I would suggest that would be a good idea in this case also despite how interesting it might be.

:sleepy2:

They have found someone now, one tast complete.

God didn't realise this forum was like this.

mbonwick

Established Member
Some people do that on police and other emergency frequencies, don't they:?:

Anyway, myself, I wouldn't mind doing that with a air-band radio, but I don't have 1 :(

Probably not a bad thing though

God didn't realise this forum was like this.

It isn't; we just don't want you to get arrested ;)

Guinness

Established Member
I think the law would be 'upheld' more if it was Police Radios. It would be common sense anyway.

Beaker

Established Member
I wouldnt think the police would care , they are hardly going to say '' theres been a murder at the libary ....ohh hang on lads somebody is using a radio, A radio I tell you, the *******''

Daniel

Established Member
You'd be surprised what I can pick up at North Weald Airfield from the Motorola Radio.... Heathrow Airport, Police Band, London City Airport, and even little kids playing with short range radios! :|

And what do you suppose the search and rescue teams had done if you had interfered with the radios? you could of cost someone their life.

Ascot

Established Member
And what do you suppose the search and rescue teams had done if you had interfered with the radios? you could of cost someone their life.

Indeed yes if it was a trans radio...

However you can receive only on most radios. Do a search on the internet. Also remember it's HF as well and all the fun with the ionosphere. So before you go babblin on, get the facts. Receivers pick up things on that frequency, not crash aircraft or transmit onto that frequency.

adambro

Its actually quite suprising what you are allowed to listen to:

"The services that you can listen to include Amateur and Citizens' Band transmissions, licensed broadcast radio and weather and navigation broadcasts." - From the Office of Communications website

Listening to anything else; including aviation, fire, ambulance, or police etc., is illegal.

I would agree with Ascot though that interference would be extremely unlikely. It has been known however, early VHF airband radios were notoriously poor.

For more info, read http://www.ofcom.org.uk/radiocomms/ifi/enforcement/ofw156x.

mbonwick

Established Member
Anyway, didn't 5 of those who they were looking for die? Trapped inside the hull of the boat?

Status
Not open for further replies.