• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Aircraft seat discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

supervc-10

Moderator note - split from:

Anyone who dislikes Sofias on 80x units, please try flying long-haul on a 'refurbished' BA 777 in economy. Lets just say I paid the extra to fly home in premium economy! AA's 787 seats are equally awful.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MattRat

On Moderation
Anyone who dislikes Sofias on 80x units, please try flying long-haul on a 'refurbished' BA 777 in economy. Lets just say I paid the extra to fly home in premium economy! AA's 787 seats are equally awful.
Plus at least with an 80x at least you aren't worrying about falling into the ocean ;)

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
I'm really happy you brought up British Airways, because the smart black leather seating on their short-haul A319 and A320 fleet is exceptionally comfortable (in my opinion), soft and with very supportive adjustable wings. They're similar width to 2+2 train seats.

supervc-10

I'm really happy you brought up British Airways, because the smart black leather seating on their short-haul A319 and A320 fleet is exceptionally comfortable (in my opinion), soft and with very supportive adjustable wings. They're similar width to 2+2 train seats.
Agreed- I do quite like the A32x fleet seats too. The seats on the A380s, which are wider than on the 10-abrest 777s or the 787s, are my pick although I've not tried an A350 yet (booked on one three times now, every time been swapped to a different aircraft type a few weeks prior to the flight!). In economy, the best seat in the sky is a window seat on the upper deck of an A380. Like BA, American's narrowbody seating on the 737-800s is better than on their 787s, complete with a clever little tablet/phone holder thing and a USB port on the backrest.

Although to be fair to BA, my 777 horror story was partially down to the obese passenger next to me pressing me into the wall of the plane. The armrest wouldn't even stay down...

TheBigD

Established Member
Moderator note - split from:

A work colleague of mine, who is and aviation geek, has flown across the Atlantic with French Bee on their 10 abreast A350 with a seat width of just 16.5 inches. Seriously cramped but dirt cheap was his description!

Royston Vasey

Established Member
I flew on a relatively recently refurbished 9 abreast BA 777 in February in economy to California and had a wonderful flight both ways, then flew in the new seats to and from New York in May on a 10 abreast and it was awful, I had a bad back for two weeks after it and had to seek physio.

I almost immediately flew to Doha on the Qatar A380 while still recovering and was fine.

There's something about those new 777 seats for me, and I don't think the seat width and slightly tighter pitch is the whole story.

66701GBRF

While I get they are being replaced, what genius thought it was a good design to have to make people step over you in BA’s business class when you are either lying flat or using the footrest ?

Mikw

New Easyjet seats are fine for a short flight - don't think i'd fancy them on the longer flights though.

Royston Vasey

Established Member
While I get they are being replaced, what genius thought it was a good design to have to make people step over you in BA’s business class when you are either lying flat or using the footrest ?
You've got to consider the competitive hard products at the time Old Club World was launched. The original yin yang Club World cabin was revolutionary and the first lie flat business class product. Business Class at the time was perhaps a 2-2-2 recliner not that much more spacious than today's World Traveller Plus.

Even when New Club World was launched, it was competing against Emirates old business class 2-3-2 and United's terrible 2-4-2 product.

It was thoroughly overtaken by other business classes in terms of hard and soft product, unfortunately, but at the time it was quite something, and stepping over ankles was hardly an issue because you usually had to ask your seat mate to move to go for a wee!

BA took far too long to replace it and Club Suites are a good business product.

I've flown Qatar QSuites and they're incredible... but BA's billion pound market is New York and if they gave everyone as much space as QSuite they'd have to fit the whole plane out as business to squeeze that many in!

cactustwirly

Established Member

The old ones are good (G-EUxx planes) but they're only used on shorter routes.
The newer planes used on longer routes have the same Slimline seats as Wizz air and easyJet and aren't nearly as comfortable

Royston Vasey

Established Member
The old ones are good (G-EUxx planes) but they're only used on shorter routes.
The newer planes used on longer routes have the same Slimline seats as Wizz air and easyJet and aren't nearly as comfortable
Sit in the front half of the Neos and you still get the same leather seats! The exit row (assuming the curtain isn't that far back) is often preferred by Pro flyers over Club Europe as it has more legroom!

BA-NEO-GLABA-FlyerTalk-2.jpg

Fred43123

Sit in the front half of the Neos and you still get the same leather seats! The exit row (assuming the curtain isn't that far back) is often preferred by Pro flyers over Club Europe as it has more legroom!

BA-NEO-GLABA-FlyerTalk-2.jpg

Club Europe can go rows 1-10 on the A319 19A, Rows 1-8 on M9A, Rows 1-12 (exit row) on the A320 32G, 32N, and Rows 1-13 on the 20E. Then Rows 1-14 on the A321 Ceo and Neos.

The best seats in my opinion on any short haul aircraft is the Embraer E190s fitted with these seats

Attachments

• 2023DF87-ED12-46E8-8631-A98C7C153664.jpeg
    2023DF87-ED12-46E8-8631-A98C7C153664.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 26

nlogax

Established Member
BA took far too long to replace it and Club Suites are a good business product.
Opted for a Club Suite on a flight back from NY yesterday (772) and it does feel like a vast improvement on the previous product. The relative lack of faff when converting from seat to bed as compared to the previous CW offering is a real win, as is direct aisle access. It probably helps that I'm not six foot eleventy inches tall so I get the full benefit of the end to end room.

betraveler

Its a trade off and I don't fly these days but I prefer the original Club World.

That is the only business class product with full legroom rather than having the foot area closed or obstructed somehow

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Its a trade off and I don't fly these days but I prefer the original Club World.

That is the only business class product with full legroom rather than having the foot area closed or obstructed somehow
On BA perhaps, but there are other products out there like Apex Suites which offer a similar open footspace.

Butts

Veteran Member
Club Europe can go rows 1-10 on the A319 19A, Rows 1-8 on M9A, Rows 1-12 (exit row) on the A320 32G, 32N, and Rows 1-13 on the 20E. Then Rows 1-14 on the A321 Ceo and Neos.

The best seats in my opinion on any short haul aircraft is the Embraer E190s fitted with these seats

Especially the Exit Rows sheer heaven (Economy) and 1st row on the Starboard Side if in Club.

Rick1984

The BA 190 is a really nice plane. Comfy seats with ample legroom. I also managed to get 3 red wines in Club on flight to London!

Royston Vasey

Established Member
The BA190 is currently being operated by the brand new Airbus 350s isn't it?
I think the poster was referring to the BA CityFlyer E190!

That's correct, used to be 747s on the route until they were retired during the pandemic.
It certainly was! I remember sitting in the grandstands at the US Grand Prix a few years ago, when among the steady stream of Southwest 737s, a BA 747 flew over low on finals to AUS, which briefly attracted more gasps of admiration than the on-track action!

nlogax

Established Member
I think the poster was referring to the BA CityFlyer E190!

That'll teach me not to read the full thread, it's a habit I really need to kick :D

It certainly was! I remember sitting in the grandstands at the US Grand Prix a few years ago, when among the steady stream of Southwest 737s, a BA 747 flew over low on finals to AUS, which briefly attracted more gasps of admiration than the on-track action!

One particular overnight on BA190 has been my only BA First Class experience up til now, back during the foothills of the pandemic in early 2020. Right up there in the nose of the 747, just beautiful. Little did I realise that particular plane would be retired only three months later.

Royston Vasey

Established Member
I wondered about that, but they also talked about Club Class - I didn't think they have that on the small regional jets?
Yes, they still sell Club Europe on them... no lounge, no extra legroom (exceptions apply!), not even a blocked middle as they're aren't any middles!

Last edited:

Fred43123

Especially the Exit Rows sheer heaven (Economy) and 1st row on the Starboard Side if in Club.

Yep 2C and 2D for the best leg room, however I always opt for rows 3-7 for the engine views of the take off experience from London City - especially when they apply max power to the engines with the brakes on until full power is reached then the sound of them roaring as you take off!

Rick1984

I wondered about that, but they also talked about Club Class - I didn't think they have that on the small regional jets?
Yes meant the Embraer 190. Club Europe. Same seats but sectioned off with curtain.
You can use the lounge

nlogax

Established Member
however I always opt for rows 3-7 for the engine views of the take off experience from London City - especially when they apply max power to the engines with the brakes on until full power is reached then the sound of them roaring as you take off!

Agreed. If in CE those are the seats I go for with outbound LCY flights. For me those short flights are less about legroom and more about the dramatics from the engines on take-off.

AM9

Veteran Member
Agreed. If in CE those are the seats I go for with outbound LCY flights. For me those short flights are less about legroom and more about the dramatics from the engines on take-off.
Do BA still fly BAe 146s (RJ80s) out of City, - I used to fly to Madrid in those. A bit cramped, but very short take off and fairly quiet.

Status
Not open for further replies.