• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

All Line Rovers at Tottenham Court Road

Status
Not open for further replies.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Tottenham Court Road is served by both National Rail and London Underground services, so provided the ticket is being used on National Rail, there is no issue.

Crossrail/Elizabeth Line (TOC code XR) services are National Rail services, that happen to also be TfL services (similar concept to to London Overground services).

It's also worth noting that London Underground do accept National Rail tickets on inter-available routes (though staff are not always aware of this inter-availability, it is docmented in the Appendix 3 PAYG and Ticket Availability document)
Maybe it is then, but http://www.railrover.org/pages/all-line.html says:

@spyinthesky this was the source of my previous Heathrow comment.
That's not an official site.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
That's not an official site.

It's worth noting that London Underground do accept National Rail tickets on inter-available routes.
Yes I've just realised I'm getting confused with the BR Fares Routing Guide site instead. :oops:

greyman42

Established Member
Upon asking a member of TfL staff to let me through the barriers, they said “It’s not valid, it doesn’t say Zone 1 or this station specifically.” But they’d “let me off this time.”
I wonder what form of action they were going to take if they decided not to let you off?

Sonic1234

Woudn't be surprised if none at all
This is my experience with TfL gates. Everyone uses Oyster or Contactless which always open the gates and the assistants don't see many paper tickets, and certainly don't understand concepts like break of journey. While TOCs tend to see a piece of orange paper and wave you through, TfL are much more suspicious when the gates reject a ticket.

Had a break of journey refused once at Kentish Town and complained to TfL, who told me they would remind the staff about valid tickets including my "special offer promotional break-of-journey ticket type". No idea where they got that title for a ticket from.

My impetus for this Post was an experience I had at Waterloo Underground not all that long ago.
I had my Northampton All Zones Travelcard and it failed to open the gate. The Staff member at the Side Gate took the ticket and preceeded to study it at quite close quarters for what seemed like ages. I couldn't understand why as it had OFF PEAK DAY TRAVELCARD ZONES 1 TO 6 and that days date in big bold print across it! It couldn't be any more obvious what it was!
Eventually he let me through but this has led me to truely believe that some ( not all by all means) Staff see paper tickets that are rejected as meaning Invalid/Forgery/Fake..

Dmthomson

How much training on Paper Tickets do new TFL recruits actually get?
Woudn't be surprised if none at all as TFL have a stated plan to get rid of physical paper tickets anyway. Therefore the attitude is "everyone uses Oyster or Contactless" and anyone who tries to insert a piece of Orange Cardboard into a ticket gate deserves what they get as it must be a fake that they've run up on their PC at home...
When I was a CSA it was a day if I recall correctly including an exam, but the rovers were never touched on at all if I recall correctly. The training was 4 weeks for CSA2 (2 weeks CSA2 training, 1 week live learning and 1 week ticket machine training) and +1 week for CSA1 (safety critical stuff) back in 2017/18 but now the training is a lot shorter and I sort of feel in an effort to cut costs the newest CSAs have been rushed through with an expectation the station is to train them further but that relies on colleagues who may not have time/desire to do this. In 2021 training for CSA was a week and I would expect this to be a blur but I'm not sure currently as I'm no longer station staff.

STINT47

Sadly a lot of Underground staff do seem to struggle with these tickets. I was advised that the Elizabeth line is not part of national rail in the tunnels. These are part of the underground and thetefore rail tickets are not valid.

spyinthesky

Sadly a lot of Underground staff do seem to struggle with these tickets. I was advised that the Elizabeth line is not part of national rail in the tunnels. These are part of the underground and thetefore rail tickets are not valid.
That seems strange advice although nothing surprises me with our ticketing system.
This is why I always present my rover/ranger for inspection when requested but not hand it over.

bob007

With the cost of that ticket, staff should be trained to apologise profusely for the inconvenience and roll out the red carpet ;)

Haywain

Veteran Member
With the cost of that ticket, staff should be trained to apologise profusely for the inconvenience and roll out the red carpet ;)
I think it's a safe bet that many more expensive tickets pass through their station every day.

Lucy1501

Some of you requested an update after I complained to TfL, they have got back to me rather quickly and will be having a chat with the station manager as well as the ticket barrier staff on duty at the time to address any potential learning points. Overall I’d say their response has been quite positive.
If only that were true…

MotCO

Established Member

Does that mean that the tcket is not valid on any national rail service which goes through a tunnel? :D

davetheguard

Established Member
Thanks for explaining that, it's been corrected.

Hi Rover. You're still saying on the ALR page that it's not valid on TfL Rail to Heathrow - which is potentially confusing even though TfL no longer exists; it could be misconstrued that this means not valid on Elizabeth Line to Heathrow.

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Hi Rover. You're still saying on the ALR page that it's not valid on TfL Rail to Heathrow - which is potentially confusing even though TfL no longer exists; it could be misconstrued that this means not valid on Elizabeth Line to Heathrow.
I think you might have a cached copy of that page. It's been corrected as far as I can see.

Rover

Yes it's been corrected Dave thanks.

dcd

It is interesting to note that the only stations on the map associated with the ALR on NRE website only shows Whitechapel,Liverpool Street , Farringdon and Paddington on the central section , sort of implying not Tottenham Court Road or Bond Street

Attachments

• National_Rail_Route_Diagram_Dec_22.pdf
    2.4 MB · Views: 23

Haywain

Veteran Member
It is interesting to note that the only stations on the map associated with the ALR on NRE website only shows Whitechapel,Liverpool Street , Farringdon and Paddington on the central section , sort of implying not Tottenham Court Road or Bond Street
Given the number of stations not shown on that map, it cannot be taken as having any meaning about validity anywhere.

Benjwri

Established Member
You can always break your journey on a rover, if the line is shown you can travel on it. The stations that are shown, especially in built up areas like London, are the ones which are important for interchange.

Status
Not open for further replies.