• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Am I being ungrateful for northern rail

Status
Not open for further replies.

AT63

I’ve been fortunate enough to be offered a trainee role with northern rail. I applied for the job on a bit of a whim and everything was processed very quickly. From application closing date I knew within about 3 and a half weeks I had been given the job.

I have no idea what the pay, terms and conditions are like compared to other companies. No idea about working in rail or the rail industry. I’ve been in my current job for 10 years and even though this will be a big improvement I’m really concerned that I’m being naive and uneducated on the industry and other toc’s.

I don’t know if to hold out and try for another company with better pay and conditions. Or if I’ve been lucky with this the first time around. I don’t know what northerns reputation is like compared to others.

Could anyone give me their opinions of northern if you are employed by them. Or just brutally honest opinions on my view? Am I just being ungrateful? I really am at a loss and I’m struggling to get excited because I only really have info from the northern website which is obviously bias.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AG78UK

First of all, congratulations on getting your foot in the door. Not many people get that far and I always think it’s best to get and then move rather than losing the chance of a what is possibly a lifetime chance.

People try for years and years and never hear anything back.

Personally, I would say you to need to weigh up the pro and cons against the job move. Alot depends on your financial / home life (family / kids)

It’s a big new world out there and until you are in the door and get to know more about the job it’s a though call, I have been there myself and tbh I have never looked back.

LokiB

As mentioned above congrats on been offered the job. In rail 3.5 weeks is a very very quick turnaround tbh, people try for many years to get into the industry so you've done incredibly well to get a start so quickly.
What role is it that you potentially are starting?
Northern aren't the highest paying but have decent enough t's&c's.
I work for them and honestly love it, yes it's quite trying at the moment with short staffing etc but after many year out of the industry it's the best decision I ever made taking a job with them.
If you want to DM me any questions I'll answer as best as I can.

Bucephalus

I’ve been fortunate enough to be offered a trainee role with northern rail. I applied for the job on a bit of a whim and everything was processed very quickly. From application closing date I knew within about 3 and a half weeks I had been given the job.

I have no idea what the pay, terms and conditions are like compared to other companies. No idea about working in rail or the rail industry. I’ve been in my current job for 10 years and even though this will be a big improvement I’m really concerned that I’m being naive and uneducated on the industry and other toc’s.

I don’t know if to hold out and try for another company with better pay and conditions. Or if I’ve been lucky with this the first time around. I don’t know what northerns reputation is like compared to others.

Could anyone give me their opinions of northern if you are employed by them. Or just brutally honest opinions on my view? Am I just being ungrateful? I really am at a loss and I’m struggling to get excited because I only really have info from the northern website which is obviously bias.
I would say if the pay and Ts and Cs are enough for you personally then I wouldn't worry about what other companies might offer. I don't work for Northern but I can't imagine that outside London you have many other TOCs to choose from

Owen2323

I'm a newly qualified driver with Northern and although its early days I can say I've never had a job like it! Getting the job is hard work and so is the training but the rewards are most definitely worth it. The way you are treated and the pay are like no other job ive ever had (pay rise aside.....)

My knowledge of other TOC's terms and conditions is limited but from what I can gather ours are generally better than most at the expense of the salary. Yes LNER are on considerably more money but I believe they are treated worse for it (short notice changes to shifts, shorter breaks, may have to work 7 days without a rest day etc). They're on 72k instead of us who are on 54,500 which is a significant difference but if you can't live a comfortable lifestyle on Northerns pay then I think you need to be seeking advice from a financial advisor! I never expected to be making anywhere near that kind of money!

One thing that is worth pointing out and could be relevant to you is Northern string out the time it takes to get to full pay (3 years whereas most have you on full money after year 1). The 23k that Northern have you on for the first year can be a struggle for some. In contrast I believe TPE put you on full money after only 8 weeks!!

The advice nearly everyone will give you is that you are in an incredibly fortunate position to have landed a drivers job and even more so to have got it in such a short time. Grab it with both hands!! You may never get an opportunity like this again! If you really feel the urge and you've kept your licence clean you can jump ship to another TOC in a few years time (however many are only taking on people via the apprenticeship route these days).

Do your research on the lifestyle of being a train driver - the shifts are extreme and unless you're already a shift worker they can take a bit of getting used to. Also it can be a monotonous job and not everyone is suited to it (one lad from my course left and went back to his old job for this very reason). All in all the benefits far outweigh the downsides and I wish you all the best whichever way you decide :)

Seehof

Are you a trainee driver? If so many congratulations. I loved being a driver, one of the best jobs I ever had. When you see a beautiful sunrise on early turn you will realise that!

Train_manager

On Moderation

You don't mention the role, so.your post is abit meanless. Good luck in your decision.

Spincity

If you need others to motivate you to take the role, if you think you could earn more elsewhere, you could have better terms elsewhere I’d suggest you know what you should do. I’ve never had to ask strangers about a job opportunity. No idea what role you’ve been offered but you are already looking over the fence to see if the grass is greener for a job you’ve not started, should be telling you it’s not right.

GardenRail

Trainee of what role?

Established Member
Worked with them for 15 years. Solid company despite the media doom. Plenty of scope on career progression depending on your role which you haven't specified.

Whatever the role is, I'd take get your foot in the door and take it. You never know what the future holds.

If you’re offered a role as a trainee (driver?) take it as you may not get the opportunity again.

Kelki

Someone once gave me the advice ‘you’ll never truly know till YOU are in it’. The point is there is only so much information and experience one can give you because you are your own person and one shoe does not fit all. It does in this circumstance however appear to comfortably fit many based on the positive feedback you have here. Change can be good for any of us. Unfortunately and amazingly you seem to have come through the recruitment process and missed the point of it, to see if it’s something you want to do and if you would be a good fit. They seem to think you would. I’d give the T&C’s a read and think about how much of this decision has been based on pay. Look at the role and think about if this could be you given half the chance.

Last edited:

jc1983

What role have you been offered? I'm currently applying for a trainee conductor role out of Leeds and have just passed the first two online tests. I'm just waiting to hear about the next stage now.

One thing that is confusing me a little though is when would I jump to full pay if successful?

The job description says £22k and then £29k after training (approx 3 months). The apprenticeship part is 12 months.

If the apprenticeship is the training, does this mean it's 12 months on £22k then £29k after? I can take the salary hit for 3 months (currently on £25k elsewhere) but I'm not sure I can take the hit for 12!

Established Member
Take any first step on the railway ladder, or you join those potentially waiting forever.

skyhigh

Established Member
The job description says £22k and then £29k after training (approx 3 months). The apprenticeship part is 12 months.

If the apprenticeship is the training, does this mean it's 12 months on £22k then £29k after? I can take the salary hit for 3 months (currently on £25k elsewhere) but I'm not sure I can take the hit for 12!
Just the training is £22k. When you pass out as competent after 3 or so months you go onto full pay.

The apprenticeship as a whole is 12 months but that's not all training.

LokiB

Just the training is £22k. When you pass out as competent after 3 or so months you go onto full pay.

Yeah just this, it jumps to the full rate once you pass your rules exam which is approx 3 months.
Also worth noting that with the recently agreed deal your salary will increase buy 5% as well so full rate is over £30k now.

Stigy

Established Member
If it’s a Trainee Driver post, you’d have taken psychometric testing at some point?

That’s irrelevant I guess, but just trying to work out how come you didn’t do your research? I mean, you’ve gone through psychometric testing and a Driver Mananger interview where you’d have presumably asked questions?

AT63

First of all, congratulations on getting your foot in the door. Not many people get that far and I always think it’s best to get and then move rather than losing the chance of a what is possibly a lifetime chance.

People try for years and years and never hear anything back.

Personally, I would say you to need to weigh up the pro and cons against the job move. Alot depends on your financial / home life (family / kids)

It’s a big new world out there and until you are in the door and get to know more about the job it’s a though call, I have been there myself and tbh I have never looked back.
Thanks for your reply. I don’t have any ties or commitments in my home life at the minute I’m starting afresh with that too. It’s reassuring to know that others have felt the same as me at some point.

As mentioned above congrats on been offered the job. In rail 3.5 weeks is a very very quick turnaround tbh, people try for many years to get into the industry so you've done incredibly well to get a start so quickly.
What role is it that you potentially are starting?
Northern aren't the highest paying but have decent enough t's&c's.
I work for them and honestly love it, yes it's quite trying at the moment with short staffing etc but after many year out of the industry it's the best decision I ever made taking a job with them.
If you want to DM me any questions I'll answer as best as I can.
The role is for a trainee conductor. Thank you for the congrats. I really would like to ask you some more questions when I figure out how to DM people. Did you start as a driver Loki?

I would say if the pay and Ts and Cs are enough for you personally then I wouldn't worry about what other companies might offer. I don't work for Northern but I can't imagine that outside London you have many other TOCs to choose from
Thanks. This is a better way of thinking of things. I’m probably thinking more about the what if’s rather than what is.

If you need others to motivate you to take the role, if you think you could earn more elsewhere, you could have better terms elsewhere I’d suggest you know what you should do. I’ve never had to ask strangers about a job opportunity. No idea what role you’ve been offered but you are already looking over the fence to see if the grass is greener for a job you’ve not started, should be telling you it’s not right.

Sorry, I probably haven’t worded myself well. It’s not a case of needing motivation from other people. It’s more a case of trying to gather opinions and info which I can calculate into making the right decision for myself. I really know nothing of this industry, recruitment processes or a single person working in rail and in my current circumstances I have no one to talk to about this move. Just looking for different views and opinions. Thanks :)

Trainee of what role?

Trainee conductor

If it’s a Trainee Driver post, you’d have taken psychometric testing at some point?

That’s irrelevant I guess, but just trying to work out how come you didn’t do your research? I mean, you’ve gone through psychometric testing and a Driver Mananger interview where you’d have presumably asked questions?
It is for a trainee conductor role. I applied based off advert and info I could get from the company itself. I asked what was appropriate for interview but some of the things I wanted to ask I would consider to be in bad taste for that kind of meeting. Like I said I got through very quickly and my thoughts have been a bit of a whirlwind.

I'm a newly qualified driver with Northern and although its early days I can say I've never had a job like it! Getting the job is hard work and so is the training but the rewards are most definitely worth it. The way you are treated and the pay are like no other job ive ever had (pay rise aside.....)

My knowledge of other TOC's terms and conditions is limited but from what I can gather ours are generally better than most at the expense of the salary. Yes LNER are on considerably more money but I believe they are treated worse for it (short notice changes to shifts, shorter breaks, may have to work 7 days without a rest day etc). They're on 72k instead of us who are on 54,500 which is a significant difference but if you can't live a comfortable lifestyle on Northerns pay then I think you need to be seeking advice from a financial advisor! I never expected to be making anywhere near that kind of money!

One thing that is worth pointing out and could be relevant to you is Northern string out the time it takes to get to full pay (3 years whereas most have you on full money after year 1). The 23k that Northern have you on for the first year can be a struggle for some. In contrast I believe TPE put you on full money after only 8 weeks!!

The advice nearly everyone will give you is that you are in an incredibly fortunate position to have landed a drivers job and even more so to have got it in such a short time. Grab it with both hands!! You may never get an opportunity like this again! If you really feel the urge and you've kept your licence clean you can jump ship to another TOC in a few years time (however many are only taking on people via the apprenticeship route these days).

Do your research on the lifestyle of being a train driver - the shifts are extreme and unless you're already a shift worker they can take a bit of getting used to. Also it can be a monotonous job and not everyone is suited to it (one lad from my course left and went back to his old job for this very reason). All in all the benefits far outweigh the downsides and I wish you all the best whichever way you decide :)
Thanks for your insight. Driving is something I have never considered and it’s nice to see that it can be achievable and that there is scope for movement. It’s nice to hear positives.

Worked with them for 15 years. Solid company despite the media doom. Plenty of scope on career progression depending on your role which you haven't specified.

Whatever the role is, I'd take get your foot in the door and take it. You never know what the future holds.
Thank you for your reply it really helps. You must be a happy employee to put in 15 years.

What role have you been offered? I'm currently applying for a trainee conductor role out of Leeds and have just passed the first two online tests. I'm just waiting to hear about the next stage now.

One thing that is confusing me a little though is when would I jump to full pay if successful?

It was for trainee conductor although I am probably not the most knowledgeable on salary structure.

Last edited:

Kelki

Someone once gave me the advice ‘you’ll never truly know till YOU are in it’. The point is there is only so much information and experience one can give you because you are your own person and one shoe does not fit all. It does in this circumstance however appear to comfortably fit many based on the positive feedback you have here. Change can be good for any of us. Unfortunately and amazingly you seem to have come through the recruitment process and missed the point of it, to see if it’s something you want to do and if you would be a good fit. They seem to think you would. I’d give the T&C’s a read and think about how much of this decision has been based on pay. Look at the role and think about if this could be you given half the chance.
Just to clarify the meaning of my wording

Unfortunately = It didn’t clarify much about the industry for you.
Amazingly = It takes a certain skill to pass all the tests unsure about the job.

Best of luck.

AT63

Just to clarify the meaning of my wording

Unfortunately = It didn’t clarify much about the industry for you.
Amazingly = It takes a certain skill to pass all the tests unsure about the job.

Best of luck.
Thanks so much Kelki and it’s true I won’t know unless I give it a try. All the best to you

jc1983

Yeah just this, it jumps to the full rate once you pass your rules exam which is approx 3 months.
Also worth noting that with the recently agreed deal your salary will increase buy 5% as well so full rate is over £30k now.
Thank you. I didn't know about the 5% either but I guess that's an added bonus!

scrapy

Established Member
It's actually a £1750 pay increase for both the trainee and qualified rates. The pay award was 5% or £1750 whichever was the greater. Works out about 5.8%

AG78UK

If you have any questions at all just drop me a message

Towers

Established Member

Out of curiosity, what happens if you don’t complete the apprenticeship for whatever reason; does that put your actual proper job at risk?

driver9000

Established Member
Look at it this way, Northern have offered you a definite job while other operators haven't and there is no guarantee that they will. If you want to move on in the future you'll find it easier to that once you're qualified as a Conductor.

GalaxyDog

Look at it this way, Northern have offered you a definite job while other operators haven't and there is no guarantee that they will. If you want to move on in the future you'll find it easier to that once you're qualified as a Conductor.
I would definitely agree with the advice that grab THIS opportunity, as it has been offered with open hands to OP.

However, "moving on" depending on your plans can be a pretty rough ride. If you were thinking about moving to another TOC as a TM/Guard/Conductor, some TOCs actually prefer to try and filter out already qualifieds and being a guard already can infact go against you. Just because you're already qualified and doing the job, in two, three, five years time if you try to 'move up' to another TOC, does not mean you'll be a preferred candidate. Infact in some recruitments, it can actually go against you.
Sorry to break the ice, but the truth needs saying.

Moog1970

It doesn’t hurt to be cautious but I would say this is a good opportunity and a foot in the door. You could always move on to other things. I’ve seen on multiple threads people waiting months if not years for a start and some don’t even make it that far. Go for it. Enjoy what you have achieved.

Status
Not open for further replies.