• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Amtrak Chicago to Ann Arbor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Class800

Established Member
Good morning everyone, I've booked Amtrak Chicago to Ann Arbor (as well as Detroit to Chicago) during my forthcoming trip to the USA. I'm an experienced UK rail user. I've never been to the USA. I just wanted to ask people if there's anything in particular I should be aware of to ensure my journey goes as well as possible. Thank you.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Iskra

Established Member
Probably read this similarly recent thread if you haven’t already:

A few more details may also help, such as which class you’re travelling in and when you are travelling

Class800

Established Member
OK thanks. The other thread is on a sleeper train whereas mine are day trains of a few hours, so quite different. Standard class. 19 July, the afternoon departure from Chicago. I was more interested in things like how the station works, what I do on arrival, the experience, as I believe all quite different than UK

Iskra

Established Member
OK thanks. The other thread is on a sleeper train whereas mine are day trains of a few hours, so quite different. Standard class. 19 July, the afternoon departure from Chicago. I was more interested in things like how the station works, what I do on arrival, the experience, as I believe all quite different than UK
Ah okay. It's all just common sense really, but as you are new to it; allow plenty of time. Boarding is a bit like boarding an aircraft with Amtrak, you will board through a gate where you show your ticket. You then walk to the platform where you show the ticket again at the door where the conductor is who will direct you to your seat. It's fairly simple, but a bit more structured than boarding a train in the UK. There are plenty of staff at Chicago to assist you. It's also worth exploring the historic station if you can arrive early enough to do so.

thumbnail_IMG_8834.jpg

duncanp

Established Member
I was at Union Station in Chicago in May.

The photo above shows the main waiting area, but there are places where you can get something to eat, as well as toilets (called "restrooms" in the US)

Other than that it is quite similar to a main line railway station in the UK.

When you arrive you do not have to check in, but it would be advisable to look for a sign that says "Amtrak Departures", so that you know where to go.

About 30 minutes before departure, the train will be called for boarding, and you will go through a ticket barrier where you will be asked to show your ticket. You will then be directed towards the appropriate track for your train (a platform is called a "track" in the US). The conductor will be by the side of the train and will advise you where to board.

Coach class seats in the US are generally a lot more spacious and comfortable than standard class in the UK.

When I travelled from Chicago to St Louis on Amtrak, there was a cafe car on the train selling refreshments. I would try and find out whether there is a cafe car on your train, and if not buy any refreshments you might need from the outlets inside the station before you board the train.

Class800

Established Member
Thanks so much. It really helped me feel less nervous about the journey. When boarding at a smaller station like Ann Arbor, if I do on way back (not sure yet if getting train or other means to Detroit), I presume it'll be more like a UK station process? OK so don't turn up 3 minutes before the train goes as one might do at London Kings Cross for an intercity!

duncanp

Established Member
Thanks so much. It really helped me feel less nervous about the journey. When boarding at a smaller station like Ann Arbor, if I do on way back (not sure yet if getting train or other means to Detroit), I presume it'll be more like a UK station process? OK so don't turn up 3 minutes before the train goes as one might do at London Kings Cross for an intercity!

At a smaller station like Ann Arbor, you just need to be on the platform in advance of the departure time of the train. (approximately 15 - 20 minutes I would suggest) Amtrak trains that travel over a long distance have a habit of being late, so before you get to the station you might want to check the status of your train.

At Union Station in Chicago I would definitely be there about 20 - 30 minutes before departure. If you leave it to the last minute, there is the risk that by the time you have found the correct track, and made your way down there, you could find access to the train is denied as they will want to make sure that the doors are closed in time for a prompt departure.

ac6000cw

Established Member
As tipping people who provide services to you is normal and expected in the US e.g. waiting staff, porters ('redcaps'), cab drivers etc., make sure you have some cash with you. It's also useful in situations where your 'foreign' credit card won't work...

Chicago has an extensive transit (CTA) and commuter rail system (Metra), and is the epicentre of the US heavy rail system. All four US mega freight railroads (UP, BNSF, CSX and NS) go there, as do the two Canadian systems (CN and CP), and they interchange a lot of traffic in and around the area. It's just a maze of rail lines, flat crossings and yards...

So if you have the time, it's well worth exploring things the elevated transit line 'loop' (with corners!) around the downtown business district, and having a ride out on Metra to somewhere like La Grange Road (on the route west to Aurora) to watch the parade of BNSF freight, commuter rail and Amtrak trains on a busy triple-track mainline.

You've actually seen a lot of the US in movies and TV shows, so it'll seem fairly familiar when you get there (albeit movies set in Chicago are a lot fewer than those set in LA, NYC and DC).

(I've visited the Chicago area three times, but the last time was in 2006 so my 'local knowledge' of the area is rather rusty now. First time was in 1988 - my first visit to the US - flying into O'Hare airport on a half-empty TWA 747 and marveling at just how busy the airport was...)

Last edited:

Class800

Established Member
As tipping people who provide services to you is normal and expected in the US e.g. waiting staff, porters ('redcaps'), cab drivers etc., make sure you have some cash with you. It's also useful in situations where your 'foreign' credit card won't work...

Chicago has an extensive transit (CTA) and commuter rail system (Metra), and is the epicentre of the US heavy rail system. All four US mega freight railroads (UP, BNSF, CSX and NS) go there, as do the two Canadian systems (CN and CP), and they interchange a lot of traffic in and around the area. It's just a maze of rail lines, flat crossings and yards...

So if you have the time, it's well worth exploring things the elevated transit line 'loop' (with corners!) around the downtown business district, and having a ride out on Metra to somewhere like La Grange Road (on the route west to Aurora) to watch the parade of BNSF freight, commuter rail and Amtrak trains on a busy triple-track mainline.
I don't use porter service. Uber I presume is an app-based payment system only like in UK? I will arrive only with bank notes, but will gain smaller cash as my trip goes on. I always give waiting staff in restaurant a few pounds in UK so no different really.

williamn

I don't use porter service. Uber I presume is an app-based payment system only like in UK? I will arrive only with bank notes, but will gain smaller cash as my trip goes on. I always give waiting staff in restaurant a few pounds in UK so no different really.
Waiting staff will expect 20% as a tipping rate, anything less will be thought of as rude. If ordering drinks from a bar a tip of $1 a drink is expected. I always avoid having my bags carried for me at hotels so I don’t have to tip - generally I’ve just arrived and only have big notes!

Iskra

Established Member
I found Amtrak staff quite chilled about tipping and the Americans I made friends with on the journey weren't tipping the Cafe attendant like I was...

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
There has always been some debate about whether you should tip the on-board staff on Amtrak. When I did the Zephyr a few years ago I tipped after each meal and tipped the sleeper attendant at the end of the trip.

duncanp

Established Member

The thing is, the going rate for tipping in a restaurant in the US is around 20%, which is much higher than the UK, where a typical tip might be around 10%.

In the US, you are effectively making up a portion of the server's wages, whereas in the UK a tip is usually given in appreciation of good service.

Similarly in a bar or pub, if you are paying for your drinks with cash each time you order, you need to tip the bartender $1 or $2. If, however, you are paying by card and running a tab, you can add the tip at the end when you settle the bill.

Whilst the tipping culture may seem strange to a visitor from the UK, it is just the way things work over there.

WesternLancer

Established Member
Good morning everyone, I've booked Amtrak Chicago to Ann Arbor (as well as Detroit to Chicago) during my forthcoming trip to the USA. I'm an experienced UK rail user. I've never been to the USA. I just wanted to ask people if there's anything in particular I should be aware of to ensure my journey goes as well as possible. Thank you.
One of the most interesting things about US train travel I find is the relationship between the rail lines and communities you travel through - often the reason for the place to be there will have originally been because the railway went there first (unlike in UKL/Europe) so you do find rail lines that run down or beside what is / was the 'main street' in some cases.

Check out what the man in seat61 says about US rail travel on his website and no doubt you can get some videos of services like the ones you are using on line.

Carriages are spacious and comfortable in my experience. US passengers seem to expect a half decent sized seat and leg room.

As mentioned be prepared for delays (often measured in hours not minutes...) and relatively slow speeds. But it is an excellent way to travel in the US imho.

Chicago is really the passenger rail capital of the US (certainly the mid west) so there is much to see there if you have time.

The city public transport commuter lines to the outskirts and the elevated metro system ( the 'El' run by the CTA) are both good and afford great views of the city and surrounding areas from their services too.

There has always been some debate about whether you should tip the on-board staff on Amtrak. When I did the Zephyr a few years ago I tipped after each meal and tipped the sleeper attendant at the end of the trip.
I was advised that 'service staff' on the train would expect tips, but 'train crew' staff would not - eg the conductor/ticket checker. So you might tip at the buffet counter on a daytime train, but not the person we would call the Guard, or a person at a station ticket office / info desk.

Taunton

Established Member
Ann Arbor is an intermediate stop on the three-times daily Chicago to Detroit service, one of the relatively few such 'frequent' operations in the USA. It's broadly like a UK train, get there on time, follow the signs, etc. If you don't visit Chicago Union station beforehand then do allow time to explore it and take photos as described above. Like many major US stations the classic building is a real interest; the tracks where the trains are is a rough and gloomy industrial add-on in comparison, and can't be accessed until your train is ready.

The initial departure from Chicago has a lot of rail interest on both sides from the still significant number of US rail companies that serve and interchange there, so have your camera ready at the window. The scene can look familiar, but it is surprising just how many technical rail terms are different there.

Ann Arbor station, in comparison, is a roadside stop in a smallish Midwestern city, dominated by the large university, whose students make up a significant proportion of Amtrak's passengers there. Compared to other equivalent Michigan cities, a number of which which have lost their car manufacturing plants over the last generation, it's better than those, although I've never got out there, only passed through. Like other such intermediate stations, Amtrak will tell you to arrive at least 30 minutes before train time, which as you can just walk onto the length of the platform from the adjacent street is more than a little silly.

cab drivers etc.
Conventional taxis have pretty much disappeared in the USA outside the largest cities. Uber is there, just check your App works. If you don't tip the driver AT LEAST 20% on top of the fare expect a face-to-face hassle! :)

I will arrive only with bank notes

USA still uses notes for USD 1, and coins have limited use nowadays.

Last edited:

Dave W

Echo thoughts above that one must explore the station - the grand hall, depicted above, is quite breathtaking - and yet the actual train bit is all underground.

We went from Chicago to St Louis in coach - we found we had more room than expected. We went down to the nearby Whole Foods for our M&S style middle class picnic, then came back through the Metra platforms (which seemed to be open) - so a chance for some ground-level shots if that's your bag.

Definitely get to the train early - it felt like boarding a plane and other patrons were treating it with a similar level of stress. It's still a damn sight better than the experience on the Greyhound we took from Louisville to Nashville, mind.

We also caught the train later in the trip from Jackson, MS - completely opposite. A few people have talked about "one door" entry at wayside stations - in fact there were a few doors open but it was a case of going to the platform and waiting. If Ann Arbor is anything like Jackson, going to the platform as soon as you're allowed will give you three or four freights to see!

Class800

Established Member
Ann Arbor is an intermediate stop on the three-times daily Chicago to Detroit service, one of the relatively few such 'frequent' operations in the USA. It's broadly like a UK train, get there on time, follow the signs, etc. If you don't visit Chicago Union station beforehand then do allow time to explore it and take photos as described above. Like many major US stations the classic building is a real interest; the tracks where the trains are is a rough and gloomy industrial add-on in comparison, and can't be accessed until your train is ready.

The initial departure from Chicago has a lot of rail interest on both sides from the still significant number of US rail companies that serve and interchange there, so have your camera ready at the window. The scene can look familiar, but it is surprising just how many technical rail terms are different there.

Ann Arbor station, in comparison, is a roadside stop in a smallish Midwestern town, dominated by the large university, whose students make up a significant proportion of Amtrak's passengers there. Compared to other equivalent Michigan cities, a number of which which have lost their car manufacturing plants over the last generation, it's better than those, although I've never got out there, only passed through. Like other such intermediate stations, Amtrak will tell you to arrive at least 30 minutes before train time, which as you can just walk onto the length of the platform from the adjacent street is more than a little silly.

Conventional taxis have pretty much disappeared in the USA outside the largest cities. Uber is there, just check your App works. If you don't tip the driver AT LEAST 20% on top of the fare expect a face-to-face hassle! :)

USA still uses notes for USD 1, and coins have limited use nowadays.
OK this seems very different. I thought Uber did not allow any payments other than via the app. My smallest notes are 5 dollars. I will try to prepare to have as much cash as I can.

In terms of delays, we can only be prepared. I am arriving from Detroit to Chicago on Amtrak and then have to get a cab to the airport for my flight home. I have left at least a spare couple of hours, but am constrained by the Amtrak frequency. If comes to worst, I have insurance that covers travel disruption

ac6000cw

Established Member
As there is mention of phone apps, check before you go on roaming charges in the US for your mobile operator. They can vary a lot...

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
You can add a tip in the uber app.

WesternLancer

Established Member
I am arriving from Detroit to Chicago on Amtrak and then have to get a cab to the airport for my flight home. I have left at least a spare couple of hours, but am constrained by the Amtrak frequency. If comes to worst, I have insurance that covers travel disruption
aren't the chicago airports accessible by public transport now if you don't want to use a taxi

eg

If you use Amtrak make sure your travel insurance fully covers you for delays and the check in times that the airline will require - and keep proof of any disruption. I realise this is not long distance but if I was coming off a long distance Amtrak train to get an international flight I would not even book the flight for the same day as the scheduled train arrival.

I think there is somewhere where you can look up Amtrak record of rigth time / delayed arrivals so you could get a feel for the route concerned in terms of its delays. Apols I don't know the link.

duncanp

Established Member
Yes, I used the CTA 'Blue Line' subway/transit from downtown to O'Hare over 30 years ago...

If you are thinking of getting a taxi from downtown Chicago to O'Hare airport, be aware that the road to the airport can be subject to delays, with travel times in excess of 75 minutes not unheard of.

I would seriously consider changing your flight home to the day after your Amtrak arrival in Chicago, and book a hotel for the night.

Whilst there may be a cost involved in this, it could well be less than any costs you would incur if the late arrival of your Amtrak train caused you to miss your flight.

Class800

Established Member
Thanks for saying. Just seems odd on a short distance train! I'll look at my insurance

As there is mention of phone apps, check before you go on roaming charges in the US for your mobile operator. They can vary a lot...
Got that sorted using a sim card

WesternLancer

Established Member
Thanks for saying. Just seems odd on a short distance train! I'll look at my insurance
Looks like some Amtrak stats here

and US govt stats here I think

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
and US govt stats here I think

So looking at the most recent stats (which I think would be January to March 2023 as I believe that's what Q1 FY2023 translates to) it would seem that the Wolverine (as an aside the US do train names really well on the whole) arrived on time (defined as within 15 minutes of schedule) 57.5% of the time. The three months prior it was 63.4% of the time. I wasn't able to spot any indication of how often mega delays occur however (there doesn't appear to be a "x% of the time the service was 120+ minutes late" metric for instance).

Taunton

Established Member
aren't the chicago airports accessible by public transport now if you don't want to use a taxi
The Blue Line "L", as stated, goes right into the airport, Piccadilly Line-style. Unfortunately Union Station, well outside 'The Loop' of downtown Chicago, is not near any convenient L transit station, even with transfers; the nearest is Clinton, actually on the Blue Line, about 3 to 4 blocks south, a bit challenging if you have heavy luggage.

Dave W

Yes, I used the CTA 'Blue Line' subway/transit from downtown to O'Hare over 30 years ago...

Quite, but my experience in Chicago was that with a heavy bag, the lifts were hit and miss - and if they did work, hold your breath for the duration :)

Flying Snail

Established Member
So looking at the most recent stats (which I think would be January to March 2023 as I believe that's what Q1 FY2023 translates to) it would seem that the Wolverine (as an aside the US do train names really well on the whole) arrived on time (defined as within 15 minutes of schedule) 57.5% of the time. The three months prior it was 63.4% of the time. I wasn't able to spot any indication of how often mega delays occur however (there doesn't appear to be a "x% of the time the service was 120+ minutes late" metric for instance).

This site collates running time that can be searched by train and station https://juckins.net/amtrak_status/archive/html/history.php
While small delays seem pretty common, it isn't a line that regularly gets the huge disruption the long distance routes out of Chicago suffer from.
As much of the route is on Amtrak and regional authority owned lines rather than freight company tracks it should be less prone to these issues than most.

Status
Not open for further replies.