• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Amtrak Chicago to Ann Arbor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
This site collates running time that can be searched by train and station https://juckins.net/amtrak_status/archive/html/history.php
While small delays seem pretty common, it isn't a line that regularly gets the huge disruption the long distance routes out of Chicago suffer from.
As much of the route is on Amtrak and regional authority owned lines rather than freight company tracks it should be less prone to these issues than most.
Yes so looking at the westbound services (i.e. those towards Chicago) from January it would seem that delays of fifteen/twenty minutes are quite common even up to half an hour isn't that rare. But multi-hour delays are much rarer looking but when they do go wrong they can go wrong. There were a couple of four+ hour delays in there! Though, to be fair, early arrivals are quite common sometimes even ten minutes or more.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
I don't use porter service. Uber I presume is an app-based payment system only like in UK? I will arrive only with bank notes, but will gain smaller cash as my trip goes on. I always give waiting staff in restaurant a few pounds in UK so no different really.
You will need to tip about 20% of the bill in restaurants, it is very bad form to do otherwise according to US custom.

eldomtom2

On Moderation
Thanks for saying. Just seems odd on a short distance train! I'll look at my insurance

Got that sorted using a sim card
So looking at the most recent stats (which I think would be January to March 2023 as I believe that's what Q1 FY2023 translates to) it would seem that the Wolverine (as an aside the US do train names really well on the whole) arrived on time (defined as within 15 minutes of schedule) 57.5% of the time. The three months prior it was 63.4% of the time. I wasn't able to spot any indication of how often mega delays occur however (there doesn't appear to be a "x% of the time the service was 120+ minutes late" metric for instance).
The Amtrak Status Maps Service Database is a useful website for looking at the on-time performance of Amtrak trains. Looking at westbound Wolverines over the past month most of the time they weren't more than half an hour late into Chicago, but there were a couple of delays over an hour, including one that arrived four hours and forty-four minutes late.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
The Amtrak Status Maps Service Database is a useful website for looking at the on-time performance of Amtrak trains. Looking at westbound Wolverines over the past month most of the time they weren't more than half an hour late into Chicago, but there were a couple of delays over an hour, including one that arrived four hours and forty-four minutes late.
Indeed so! From this post of mine just a little earlier this evening ;)

Yes so looking at the westbound services (i.e. those towards Chicago) from January it would seem that delays of fifteen/twenty minutes are quite common even up to half an hour isn't that rare. But multi-hour delays are much rarer looking but when they do go wrong they can go wrong. There were a couple of four+ hour delays in there! Though, to be fair, early arrivals are quite common sometimes even ten minutes or more.

Class800

Established Member
Thanks

Just checked, my train from Detroit gets into Chicago 2pm (14.00 - but ticket doesn't say it that way, confusing!) and my flight out of O'Hare is 20.40 hours. Seems fine to me!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.