• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

AndrewR232's Trip Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndrewR232

Thought I would have a go at this!

I am using a Central Scotland Rover for three days this week, and thought I would let you know what I get up to. Think of this as a practice run for when I use a FONW Rover next week!!

Here's a brief start to today's report...

Leaving the house just after 0730, my bus into the centre of Glasgow (First Glasgow service 88) arrived 3 minutes late, but still managed to reach its destination (Buchanan Bus Station) a minute early. From there I walked to Glasgow Central station (or rather, a nearby shop) for breakfast, then jumped on the station connector bus (unusual for me - I normally walk) to Glasgow Queen Street to buy my Rover and board my first train, the 0919 service to Alloa, which today was being operated by 170396.

Upon alighting at Stirling, I noticed that 1E13 0755 Inverness to London Kings Cross was delayed due to "poor rail conditions", which some of the passengers waiting on platform 3 were moaning about. After photographing as many trains as possible, 170458 arrived at platform 3, on time at 1037, to take me to my next port of call, Haymarket. Shortly before Polmont station, we were sent into a passing loop where the conductor announced we would be waiting for a few moments to let the delayed INV-KGX service overtake us. This added almost 8 minutes onto the journey, but I was not at all concerned about missing my next train at HYM.

After getting a few shots at Haymarket, I was disappointed (though not surpised) to see 158716 appear on the 1140 service to Perth, which I took to Kirkcaldy.

TO BE CONTIUED...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Welcome to the ever-growing army of trip report writers! :D

Looks like the Central Scotland Rover is proving a popular ticket, with quite a few of the aforementioned army (myself included) having done one in the laat 6 months!

Enjoyed the first part of your trip report, looking forward to the rest when it's ready :)

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Looks like the Central Scotland Rover is proving a popular ticket, with quite a few of the aforementioned army (myself included) having done one in the laat 6 months!

I would like to do one but I am to young for a hotel and I have no family in the area.

AndrewR232

Day 2 - Wednesday 18 March 2015

The second day saw me leave the house an hour earlier than Day 1 to take in a few local journeys before. After arriving at Buchanan Bus Station, I walked to Glasgow Central station for my first train, the 0752 Glasgow Central to Lanark. While waiting for the train to arrive into platform 6, I was amused when 158782 pulled into platform 5 saying Dunblane on the destination screen. A couple of minutes later, 380016 arrived into platform 6 and (after letting everyone get off) I immediately boarded and plugged in my phone charger. The train departed on time, and I got off at Motherwell.

After getting some breakfast from the snack bar at the station entrance (roll with bacon & potato scone for £1.60, not too bad), I head to platform 4 for train number two, the 0841 to Cumbernauld. Eventually, 318250 turns up two minutes late. I get off at the next stop, Whifflet, and wait for the 0859 Whifflet to Milngavie. It wasn't long before 318255 arrived to take me to Anniesland, where I picked up train number four, the 0953 to Glasgow Queen Street, which was operated by 158789.

Now at Glasgow Queen Street, it was time to start using the Rover!!

I stayed with 158789 for its next working, the 1018 to Alloa. I was joined on the train by alexf380, which made the journey more bearable (I don't like 158s, although this is one of the better units). We disembarked at Stirling, and have only a few minutes to wait before 170451 arrives on the 1107 to Edinburgh. Alex left the train at Falkirk Grahamston, while I stayed on to Edinburgh for my booked lunch break before getting 380116 on the 1243 to North Berwick. After getting the same unit straight back to Edinburgh on the 1326, I decided that train number 9 would be the 1407 to Milngavie, so I dashed from platform 9 to platform 13 to find 334020 and 334005 waiting to operate said service. I boarded the front set (334020) and travelled to the first stop, Haymarket.

The primary reason for alighting at Haymarket was to use the station's free toilet facilities - those at Edinburgh cost 30p per visit and I avoid using train toilets if possible.

Around 15 minutes later, my next train arrived - 334038 working the 1425 to Helensburgh Central. I was also on this train until the next stop. A visit to Edinburgh Park station allowed me to see how work is progressing to install ticket gates, which are expected to go live in the next couple of weeks.

After getting a few photos at Edinburgh Park, it was onwards to Dunblane on 170476 (1443 service from EDP). This was my busiest train of the day. I boarded at the front, but had to walk through to the middle carriage to find a seat! After Stirling, however, the train was almost empty.

At Dunblane, I waited for 170476 to start its return journey to Edinburgh at 1558, and got off at Stirling. I had intended to catch the 1623 stopping train to Glasgow Queen Street, but there was an express due at 1614, and as this train was not as busy as I expected, I decided to jump on it, arriving in Glasgow Queen Street 14 minutes earlier than planned. This service was operated by 170461.

I finished with the Rover at this point, but my shift was far from over! Read on...

It was then a short walk to Glasgow Central for 320301 on the 1722 to Dalmuir, yet again getting off at the next stop, Anderston, where I picked up the 1740 to Carstairs, operated by 320305 (front) and 318264. I was on this service all the way to Carstairs, where it formed the 1841 to Motherwell. After a PNB at Motherwell, I waited for the 1934 to Ayr, and travelled to Glasgow Central on 380103. I had around 24 minutes at GLC before going back out on the 2020 to Lanark, operated by 320307. At Lanark, I gave my mum a quick call to make sure she was remembering to pick me up later, then jumped back on 320307 for the 2121 back to Glasgow Central. From there it was a walk to Glasgow Queen Street for my final train, the 2248 to Dundee. After 12 minutes travelling on 170394, I exited the train at Lenzie for my ride home.

Long shifts like this are tiring. But I love them!! :D

andyb2706

Long shifts like this are tiring. But I love them!! :D

I have to totally agree with you there. Over the last few years I've done a couple of trips, one in London and one in Glasgow when I've been out from first thing on the morning until last thing at night and although tiring and dying to get to bed at the end of it they have been some of the best days.

Reading your report it looks like you had a cracking day and plenty of variety. I still need a load from that next of the woods. Could do with another trip up to the boarders at some point.

AndrewR232

Day 3 - Friday 20 March 2015

So we're onto day 3 now, and while I didn't use the Rover as much as I normally would, and included a number of local journeys (where I used my ZoneCard instead), it was still an enjoyable day. Here's what happened...

It was my latest start of the week, leaving the house at 0745 and arriving just after half past eight. First thing to decide was where to get breakfast, and I decided this would be at Motherwell, again. I didn't feel like walking to Glasgow Central this time so jumped on the bus down to get my first train, the 0920 Lanark service, operated by 380001. Arriving at Motherwell four minutes late, I purchased and ate breakfast then returned to platform 1 for my next train. After a few minutes, 380114 appeared on the 0959 to Edinburgh.

I took this to Haymarket, deciding to continue into Edinburgh on the next train at the same platform. It wasn't along before my chariot to Edinburgh arrived in the form of 334033 and 334017 on the 1052. I boarded the front set (334033) and arrived into platform 13 at Edinburgh a few minutes later.

Walking round to platform 12, I found my next train, 170433, waiting to depart on the 1130 to Glasgow Queen Street. I took this all the way to Glasgow QS for my first PNB, then made my way to the low level platforms where, once again, I meet 334017 and 334033, this time working the 1241 to Helensburgh Central. I boarded 334017 and alighted at Dalmuir.

My reason for going to Dalmuir? To get a photo of 0E45 0807 Fort William Alcan Gbrf to Millerhill S.S. going through the station! I got shots of most service trains as well, before boarding 320320 on the 1331 to Whifflet. After looking at the timetable for 0E45, I decided to get a shot of the train at West Calder as well! The best train to catch from Glasgow Central which would allow me to do that would be the 1503 to Edinburgh, so on arrival at the low level platforms of Glasgow Central, with over an hour to wait, I decided to go on a time wasting run!

So it was off to Paisley Gilmour Street on 380020, working the 1406 Gourock service. After about 20 minutes at PYG, I boarded 380102 the 1442 back to Glasgow Central. Arriving into platform 15, it was then round to platform 6 where 156445 was waiting to depart on the 1503 Edinburgh service. The conductor on this train commented that he rarely sees Rover tickets, and points out that it's probably cheaper than buying 'normal' tickets between Glasgow and Edinburgh. I was intrigued when he then said, "You probably already know that if you're an enthusiast." Now, I had never spoken to him before, so how did he know that I am an enthusiast?! There are two possible reasons I can think of:

1. I know about Rail Rovers.
2. He saw the journey notes I had on the table in front of me.

I'll leave it up to you to decide! :D

I disembarked at West Calder and waited on the same platform for the freight train; it passed through the station 2 minutes early. To get back to Glasgow, I decide to ignore the stopping train at 1603 and wait for the express at 1620. I almost regretted this decision when one of the better 158s, 158868, arrived on the 1603. I was still on the platform for Edinburgh and didn't feel like running over to the other side to get on it! Instead, I put up with 158741 on the 1620 to Glasgow Central, where it arrived 4 minutes late.

Upon arrival it was back down to the low level platforms for the short hop to Anderston, where I repeated Wednesday's diagram until I finished at Glasgow Central just before 8pm.

Bring on next week's FONW trips!! :D :D :D :D :)

Last edited:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
If you had indeed joined 158868 there I'd have been jealous, it being the only 158 nicked from England that I need in Haymarket's collection!

Looks like it was an enjoyable third day, certainly I want to get up to Scotland again asap!

AndrewR232

I'll be leaving the house in about 20 minutes for my first day (in 2015) with the FONW Rover! Looking forward to this!

AndrewR232

Just got back home, and what a day it has been!! :D

Far too tired to even start writing any sort of trip report, so that will have to wait until tomorrow, as will planning for Day 2 on Wednesday. Suggestions of stations to visit are welcome! :)

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Heysham Port for the Badge of Honour that is getting one of the more obscure stations in the country out of the way. Not done many stations in the North West to be honest so can't recommend many.

Good to hear Day 1 has been a blast though!

alexf380

Established Member
Reddish South or Denton :lol:

In all seriousness, I would try the Cumbrian coast line if you get a nice day. Glad to hear you enjoyed the first day in the North west.

Established Member
Yet another report of a Central Scotland Rover!
I'm starting to think that there were more cranks out in Scotland last week than there were rugby fans at Haymarket on Saturday :)
Very interesting reading, that - Friday was the day I mostly spent whizzing round the Cathcart Circle and sampling a variety of 314s.
Thanks for posting.

AndrewR232

FONW - Day 1 - Monday 23 March 2015

So it was a very early start, leaving the house around 0540 for the first bus (0550) into Glasgow, which arrived at 0615 (it annoys me that I can't be in Glasgow before 6am, but that's for another thread). I walked down to Glasgow Central for breakfast, and waited for my first train of the day, the 0709 to Manchester Airport worked by 350406.

It was while waiting for this train to board that I realised I had LEFT MY PHONE CHARGER AT HOME!! :oops:
Thankfully it didn't die until I was on my bus home!

I left 350406 at Carlisle, and went to the booking office to buy the Rover, before getting my next train, 390114 on the 0849 to London Euston. As expected this service was relatively quiet on boarding, but filled up as it went further south, particularly after Preston.

Alighting at Wigan North Western, I had around 20 minutes there before taking 156482 on the 1031 departure to Liverpool Lime Street. This service was held at Roby station for 6 minutes waiting for an express service to pass, giving me my first delayed train of the day, ultimately arriving into LIV three minutes late.

Upon arrival at LIV, I was diagrammed for a time wasting run. This saw me make my way to the underground Merseyrail platform, where I boarded 507003 on the 1133 to New Brighton, getting off two stops later at Liverpool James Street, before travelling back to Liverpool Lime Street on the 1144 to New Brighton (508026).

After buying lunch, I headed to platform 2 where 319362 was waiting to operate the 1215 to Manchester Airport. This I took to Manchester Piccadilly, before boarding 150150 on the 1317 to Chester. This service departed MAN a full 10 minutes late (and I couldn't hear the conductor's announcement as to why :(), but made up time and was only 3 minutes late when I said got off at Navigation Road. Here, I got a few tram photos before getting 150207 on the 1401 back to Manchester Piccadilly. This was by far my least favourite journey of the day, as we were held at every signal on approach to MAN (that's what it felt like anyway) and I was worried I would miss my next train, with only a 12 minute turnaround.

We finally arrived into platform 11 at MAN, 7 minutes late. It was then a mad dash to platform 3 where I boarded 185147, about to depart on the 1441 to Hull. Alighting at Stalybridge platform 4, it was a short walk to platform 5 for my next train, 156468, which was due to depart at 1508 and would take me to Manchester Victoria, easily my least favourite station of those I visited during the day.

It was now time for my final train ride before returning to Glasgow. After a short stay at MCV, 156452 appeared on the 1533 to Wigan Wallgate. From there it was a very short walk to Wigan North Western, where I learned that a southbound service to London Euston was running nearly an hour late, and in the other direction the 1625 to Glasgow Central was delayed by 15 minutes!

But I was not in the least concerned at this point. When the 1625 arrived (390156), I ignored it and instead waited for my diagrammed train, the 1638 to Glasgow Central, which was running about 8 minutes late. My main reason for choosing this service over the earlier one was that Voyagers have power sockets at every seat so it would be easier to recharge my phone ... which I couldn't do anyway!! Nevertheless, when 221118 and 221105 turned up, I duly boarded the front set (221118) and was in Glasgow Central at 1924, two minutes later than booked.

Now, by this time I was rather hungry, and made my way to the low level platforms to get the 1937 Dalmuir service, which was operated by 318269. I got off at Partick, for a portion of chips, which I ate before boarding 334019 on the 2023 to Edinburgh. I got off at Glasgow Queen Street low level, then walked to Buchanan Bus Station for my bus home.

All in all, a very enjoyable day!:D:D

Last edited:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Sounds like a pretty busy day, and I'd have just found a shop and got myself a spare charger! Not that I did on my 2011 ALR but that's a lesson learned!

You could get into Glasgow for 6, just get a taxi ;)

Kite159

Veteran Member
I think you might have made a mistake, you boarded 406 at Glasgow, but left 407 at Carlisle?

Mega delay for that Virgin service, at least anybody on board for the full run would hopefully get their money back for being 60 minutes late.

AndrewR232

Day 2 is nearly over, I'm at GLQ waiting for my train home.

Wasn't feeling great today, so I've not been as busy as I might have liked, but the write-up should be posted tomorrow or Friday.

Day 3 is booked for Saturday.

Status
Not open for further replies.