• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Annoying television adverts...

High Dyke

Established Member
There has been an advert of one of the price comparison sites that shows a car sandwiched between two HGV in a three-lane carriageway and I wonder if this advert shows a motoring offence being committed by the HGV in the fast lane.
And the car driver picks up / looks at a mobile phone whilst driving...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

duncanp

Established Member
Could I add the advert for Blinds 2 Go where it shows you a load of blinds and curtains, and then says that they are "...so easy to measure and fit yourself...."

Having had some new curtains earlier this year, it is actually quite a skilled job to get the measurements right, and you have to know exactly where to measure from and to.

Similarly with fitting, whilst it is in principle fairly straightforward, there are quite a number of pitfalls, especially if you are as useless at D.I.Y. as I am.

So all Blinds 2 Go are offering is effectively a delivery service for blinds and curtains, and they take no responsibility if you get the measurements wrong or make a mistake during fitting.

And in a 2 for 1 posting, I see that Hermes (<(<(<() are rebranding themselves as EVRI, presumably because their reputation is so bad.

I just caught their new TV advert for the first time this morning.

Just who do you think you are trying to kid?

If you have the same management, and use "..self employed..." people on zero hours contracts who couldn't give a monkeys, the service is going to be just as <insert word for what bears do in the woods> as before.

py_megapixel

Established Member
And in a 2 for 1 posting, I see that Hermes (<(<(<() are rebranding themselves as EVRI, presumably because their reputation is so bad.

I just caught their new TV advert for the first time this morning.

Just who do you think you are trying to kid?

If you have the same management, and use "..self employed..." people on zero hours contracts who couldn't give a monkeys, the service is going to be just as <insert word for what bears do in the woods> as before.
Oh dear... I didn't know about that. Their logo is awful; why is every letter in a different font?

At least it's harder to call them "Herpes" that way.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
I see that Hermes (<(<(<() are rebranding themselves as EVRI, presumably because their reputation is so bad.

"Evri" parcel lost or damaged, "Evri" parcel thrown over the fence and/or left out in the rain?

YCNMIU (!) :rolleyes:

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Never had any issues with Hermes, the bloke who does the drops round my neck of the woods is reliable and conscientious.

"EVRI" sounds like a rubbish name though. Did they scrape that out of the same barrel that gave us "Consignia" and "Centrica"?

PeterY

Established Member
"Evri" parcel lost or damaged, "Evri" parcel thrown over the fence and/or left out in the rain?

YCNMIU (!) :rolleyes:
Whoever dreamt up that name must be a ............. :D :D :D From a marketing point of view "Evri" is awful. I can just imagine the jokes and memes. :D :D :D :D :D

EastisECML

I've just remembered a boots advert from a few years ago where some awful cover of a popular song insists 'nobody looks like that' about an in advert female model who is thin. Dehumanisation of people who are thin is bizarre. You can preach body acceptance all you like, but if you're mocking people for being thin then it's not body acceptance. Sorry, I just randomly remember these infuriating adverts, I hold grudges well.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
I've just remembered a boots advert from a few years ago where some awful cover of a popular song insists 'nobody looks like that' about an in advert female model who is thin. Dehumanisation of people who are thin is bizarre. You can preach body acceptance all you like, but if you're mocking people for being thin then it's not body acceptance. Sorry, I just randomly remember these infuriating adverts, I hold grudges well.
Is this the one (from 2019)?

Seems rather cringeworthy and appears to have been widely derided at the time. Who signs off on this stuff?

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
This EE advert just strikes me as stupid.

A “real test” that means precisely nothing.

“I can’t believe we just landed a plane!” - you didn’t. The pilot did.

simonw

Never had any issues with Hermes, the bloke who does the drops round my neck of the woods is reliable and conscientious.

"EVRI" sounds like a rubbish name though. Did they scrape that out of the same barrel that gave us "Consignia" and "Centrica"?
Well centrica just celebrated their 25 year anniversary so someone must like the name.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Same here, a very pleasant early middleaged woman comes round between 11.45 and 1.45, leaves with neighbour if I'm out and puts note to that effect through the door. She's told me that she won't work after 5 p.m., as it can be dark by that time in late autumn and winter, and her round encompasses a lot of old terraced housing with associated alleyways. She's the only regular female courier in these parts, though we have several postwomen on foot, but never in a van!

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
This EE advert just strikes me as stupid.

A “real test” that means precisely nothing.

“I can’t believe we just landed a plane!” - you didn’t. The pilot did.
...and it also wasn't any member of that household on the radio was it? It was a qualified air traffic controller. That's if they even did it in a suburban house ( or the barber up Snowdon one ), which I seriously doubt... Incidentally, the call sign they used is real... Zap Air is used by Titan and they do have an all white A321 in their fleet; G-POWV, so they do at least appear to have filmed a real landing and the associated comms.

EastisECML

Is this the one (from 2019)?

Seems rather cringeworthy and appears to have been widely derided at the time. Who signs off on this stuff?
That's the one. I'd love to hear the thought process for this, "I know, how about we body shame slim women? That'll show how good we are!". I also remember Boots' adverts about setting up at schools to promote make up and skincare products to insecure teenagers before some school party. They are a sinister brand.

duncanp

Established Member
What about the adverts by Numan.com for treatments for erectile dysfunction?

I can't work out whether they are amusing or annoying. :D

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Did I really recently see a Jet 2 TV advert that showed hundreds of people having no need of plane travel as they all flew by some mysterious levitation ability?
I think that was Easyjet actually - although I'm sure they've pinched BA's use of classical music for it as well!!!

EastisECML

The rainbow betting advert that keeps coming up before every video I watch on YouTube and during. There are other evil companies in the world they can push; Nestle, Gazprom, whoever is constructing those stadiums in Qatar...

dgl

Established Member
The adverts for various car selling websites that supposedly get you a much better price as if you use them dealers from around the UK will compete against each other to buy your car, yes because a dealer is really going to pay a premium price for an unseen motor.

duncanp

Established Member
The adverts for various car selling websites that supposedly get you a much better price as if you use them dealers from around the UK will compete against each other to buy your car, yes because a dealer is really going to pay a premium price for an unseen motor.

Even We Buy Any Car has in their small print that the price they quote on the website is subject to a survey of the car's condition.

dgl

Established Member
Even We Buy Any Car has in their small print that the price they quote on the website is subject to a survey of the car's condition.
Which from what I understand is VERY strict, so lots of opportunity for the price to go down.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
The rainbow betting advert that keeps coming up before every video I watch on YouTube and during. There are other evil companies in the world they can push; Nestle, Gazprom, whoever is constructing those stadiums in Qatar...
Speaking of betting, one that really irritates me is the advert for 32Red, voiced over by (I think) that moron Keith Lemon. Oh, and the Sky Bingo ad, voiced over by that numpty Rylan Clarke-Neal who seems to have far too much media exposure these days.

dgl

Established Member
Speaking of betting, one that really irritates me is the advert for 32Red, voiced over by (I think) that moron Keith Lemon. Oh, and the Sky Bingo ad, voiced over by that numpty Rylan Clarke-Neal who seems to have far too much media exposure these days.
Have fun by giving us all your cash but please gamble aware.
Maybe all the decent celebrities actually have some morals so it's left to the dregs to advertise the crap, whilst the two aformentioned characters are allowed on TV is beyond me, they have nothing on the older game show presenters. Watch older game shows and the difference is remarkable.

Typhoon

Established Member
Oh, and the Sky Bingo ad, voiced over by that numpty Rylan Clarke-Neal who seems to have far too much media exposure these days.
He's split from his husband, even I knew that and I try to avoid any reference to the man. I seem to remember a picture in a paper (Metro?) of him looking upset and some woman with an arm round his neck comforting him, may have been a TV studio. Apparently, he's got a book coming out about it.

I had hoped he was upset because he had been sacked from some of his TV jobs, but come to think about it, he didn't look that upset.

jfollows

Established Member
Which from what I understand is VERY strict, so lots of opportunity for the price to go down.
I used them, the inspection was perfunctory, I was offered and accepted a price only a little lower than the "quote", I was happy with the service they offered. I've previous experience of selling cars privately and it's a complete hassle, maybe I was unlucky, but people are indecisive and stupid, I hated dealing with them. "We Buy Any Car" has a target market of which I'm part, and as far as I was concerned they delivered on what they advertised.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
I have just seen an Experian TV advert where a man sitting quietly in a waiting room is unaware that an ejector seat had been fitted to the seat that he was sat in and suddenly, without any warning, the ejector seat activated and he was blasted through the ceiling and the roof of the building. He was then next seen with a dazed facial expression, no doubt caused by the severe head trauma that he had just suffered. What on earth did Experian hope to achieve by showing such a stupid advert?

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
This one? Believe that Experian are endeavouring to suggest that you can easily improve your "creditworthiness", as recorded on their system, by linking your utility and telecoms bills payment history to the records they hold on you. Possibly aimed at twenty-somethings and maybe useful if you've not got much of a credit history and are maybe looking for a mortgage in the near future.

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
There has been an advert of one of the price comparison sites that shows a car sandwiched between two HGV in a three-lane carriageway and I wonder if this advert shows a motoring offence being committed by the HGV in the fast lane.

And the car driver picks up / looks at a mobile phone whilst driving...

It's the Money Super Seven ad.

Is the person who leaps across to the truck is trying to save it from running away, bearing in mind you never see the second truck driver?

Typhoon

Established Member
etoro is the latest in a number of companies to feature human beings with the ability to fly unaided in TV adverts.
Entirely apt. The ability of humans to fly unaided is only slightly less likely than making a profit traded on eToro for the novice investor.

(I actually haven't seen the advert but if it resembles whats on their home page, I question whether anyone taken in my that drivel has the intelligence to last more than a year on the platform.)