• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Annoying television adverts...

AM9

Veteran Member
I think we should put the clock back 50 yrs, in the old days you had to join 48 hrs before gambling, stopped drunk people spending more than they could afford. as for credit any sniff of credit could lead to loss of licence
I was working for a PLC in 1979 when most of the London clubs were raided by police for credit and membership irregularities some lost licences
Now we have , free bets, credit cards, no old fashioned membership. gambling should be like smoking, legal but not encouraged
Sport has something to answer for there, - sponsorship of major competitions are frequently from outfits such as Betfred which uses the opportunity to display advertising boards knowing that they will appear on live TV. They have taken over from that former life destroying industry, tobacco.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Lost property

Bit late coming to this thread.

Funerals and the Co-op adverts...seem to be on with almost saturation coverage. For me, they're very raw as my partner passed away in July last year, unexpectedly. To be honest, I found what happened subsequently to be very professional and seamless starting with the Registrar...until, t'council got involved.

Got a letter addressed "Dear Pers Rep Mrs Axxxx Bxxxx (Dec'd) ...not to me and my name was on the death cert, council tax / electoral role....basically, they tried to claim back her housing benefit for her disabilities...email exchange, the tertiary level protozoan couldn't even address its reply with "Dear Mr Xxx "...just my name. Anyway, they suddenly became silent, no apology, when her bank statement proved they had paid the benefit, 5 days after they had been informed of her passing and they were trying to say I was responsible, not them.

Now about to have a war with a debt collection agency who have sent me a claim...almost a year after she passed. Spoke to them and they were surprised when I asked for all the details...and didn't just pay there and then given I know she never had a credit card from one claimant and certainly would never have purchased anything from another claimant.

Back to the ads...the vomit inducing M & S ad..bad enough when it emerged as " look peasants, this isn't just food, this is M&S food..which you can't afford, oh mwah "

A certain exercise bike ad, "oh yah, I mean, we all work out and have bikes in our pristine high end living homes "..

And the one where there's a pile of washing and some inane lyrics about the sun not shining.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Funerals and the Co-op adverts...seem to be on with almost saturation coverage. For me, they're very raw as my partner passed away in July last year, unexpectedly. To be honest, I found what happened subsequently to be very professional and seamless starting with the Registrar...until, t'council got involved.
When my dear wife Patricia passed away in November last year in her nursing home just a week prior to her 80th birthday, the Co-op Gold Funeral Plan that I had in my name had a footnote that stated should my named spouse pre-decease me, the plan would revert to her. My youngest twin son handled all dealings with them and was full of praise for the professionalism shown by them and they dealt with all required matters. When the death certificates were issued by the Office of the Registrar, I signed a consent form which enabled all statutory agencies were notified of the death by their department which was very reassuring

I have since bought another Co-op Gold Funeral Plan that will cover my eventual demise, being 77 years of age.

duncanp

Established Member
When my dear wife Patricia passed away in November last year in her nursing home just a week prior to her 80th birthday, the Co-op Gold Funeral Plan that I had in my name had a footnote that stated should my named spouse pre-decease me, the plan would revert to her. My youngest twin son handled all dealings with them and was full of praise for the professionalism shown by them and they dealt with all required matters. When the death certificates were issued by the Office of the Registrar, I signed a consent form which enabled all statutory agencies were notified of the death by their department which was very reassuring

I have since bought another Co-op Gold Funeral Plan that will cover my eventual demise, being 77 years of age.

On a related topic, another set of adverts that really p*** me off are those for Over 50's "Life Insurance", particularly one that is dressed up and called the "Sun Life Funeral Plan".

It is NOT a Funeral Plan, just a life assurance policy which may or may not cover the cost of your funeral.

If you live long enough, you could end up paying more than will be paid out when you kick the bucket.

And the Sun Life advert has the nerve to push the selling point "...we pay out on every claim..."

Oh how magnanimous of you, being generous enough to actually pay out the money due on the policy I have paid into.

Just give it a rest Carol Vorderman will you, and go back to Countdown now that Anne Robinson has left. <(<(

If you want to pay for a funeral, buy a plan from the Co-op or other reputable funeral directors, as you have done.

You just pay the cost of your chosen funeral at the time you take out the policy.

The company keeps your money until you pass away, and any interest they earn will cover any increase in the cost of the funeral in the meantime.

dgl

Established Member

My Gran having a funeral plan certinaly made things easier, esp. as my Mum has never had to deal with anything like this before as there was always someone else who was tasked to deal wth everything.
If you can afford one, get one, even if it only covers a basic funeral it's something.

trainophile

Established Member
Be careful though, hasn't there been bad publicity recently about some of these Funeral Plan sellers? Not sure of the details but I gather some have gone (or are going) bust, leaving people without any of their money back and no plan. Do your research.

route101

Established Member
The Fitbit adverts have been annoying to me, I usually see them on Youtube.

Lost property

As did I and, as I said, every organisation concerned were the consummate professionals, apart from the (insert term of choice council) and the DWP who also tried it on....they're still waiting. The Co-op were equally professional and the funeral was exactly as my partner had stated she wished for...apart from the one small floral tribute from myself and a close friend which she probably approved of.

As for adverts, the one I missed...those for "Cinch " ...and the presenter !!!. Even the most ardent pacifist would feel inclined to plant half a brick in his face and those immortal words " now STF up ! "

Steddenm

Indeed, the current ones tend to show a rich American middle-aged woman with obviously more money than she knows what to do with, telling the viewers that she has just seen a Wowcher deal and seems to like it. Who does she hope to impress?
That "rich American middle-aged" woman in the adverts is Katheryn Ryan - a comedienne and she annoys me at the best of times.

Typhoon

Established Member
Be careful though, hasn't there been bad publicity recently about some of these Funeral Plan sellers? Not sure of the details but I gather some have gone (or are going) bust, leaving people without any of their money back and no plan. Do your research.
Yes 'Safe Hands' (ironically) is in administration. This follows a decision by the Financial Conduct Authority to regulate the Funeral Planning industry, some providers are giving up and others have been found to be less than prudent with their investments.
There is an article on Money Savings Expert. https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/n...s---safe-hands-administration---what-to-do-n/
I quote the updates:
Update: 17 June 2022: The FCA, the UK's financial regulator, has announced the list of 24 funeral plan providers it intends to authorise https://www.fca.org.uk/news/press-releases/fca-announces-funeral-plan-providers-likely-be-authorised on 29 July. If your plan provider is not on this list, check the status of its application here https://www.fca.org.uk/consumers/funeral-plans/providers-list and contact your provider as soon as possible for more information.

Update: 31 May 2022: The FCA has issued a warning advising people not to buy a prepaid funeral plan from:

Empathy Funeral Plans UK Limited.
Fox Milton & Co Limited, trading as Unique Funeral Plans.
If you are already a customer of either of these companies, the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) recommends you contact the firm in question as soon as possible. More details can be found on the FCA's website.https://www.fca.org.uk/news/news-st...unique-funeral-plans-empathy-funeral-plans-uk

Empathy Funeral Plans told us that while it has stopped selling new plans, it is continuing to honour existing plans for now, and is in active discussions with larger funeral plan providers to transfer these over on a longer-term basis.

We've contacted Fox Milton and Co Limited and will update this story if we get a response.

The Fitbit adverts have been annoying to me, I usually see them on Youtube.
Never seen them - I'll do a swap. I'll watch the Fitbit ads if you watch the Youtube ads I always get - making money through Audible, especially any featuring Charlotte (?) Chan, and her husband, Christian. No, I don't need to be told what Audible is, every so often I am invited to sign up but I get more from a book if I actually read it, so haven't bothered. When she gets a letter that she says comes from 'Jeff Bezos', with a handwrittenscrawled name and address on a piece of paper stuck on the envelope as though he sends them himself I cannot take it seriously especially as (and I may be wrong here) I always thought that it was the recipients name went on the front, not the sender's.

I'll stick with the Greg Secker (make money by trading) ads as I can usually water the garden while they are on.

duncanp

Established Member
Can we just ban any television or radio advert that mentions smart meters, especially those irritating ones with that Albert Einstein lookalike.

NO I am not going to have one of the wretched things, so will you please stop going on about it. <(<(<(

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Bit late coming to this thread.

Got a letter addressed "Dear Pers Rep Mrs Axxxx Bxxxx (Dec'd) ...not to me and my name was on the death cert, council tax / electoral role....basically, they tried to claim back her housing benefit for her disabilities...email exchange, the tertiary level protozoan couldn't even address its reply with "Dear Mr Xxx "...just my name. Anyway, they suddenly became silent, no apology, when her bank statement proved they had paid the benefit, 5 days after they had been informed of her passing and they were trying to say I was responsible, not them.

Now about to have a war with a debt collection agency who have sent me a claim...almost a year after she passed. Spoke to them and they were surprised when I asked for all the details...and didn't just pay there and then given I know she never had a credit card from one claimant and certainly would never have purchased anything from another claimant.

Back to the ads...the vomit inducing M & S ad..bad enough when it emerged as " look peasants, this isn't just food, this is M&S food..which you can't afford, oh mwah "

A certain exercise bike ad, "oh yah, I mean, we all work out and have bikes in our pristine high end living homes "..

And the one where there's a pile of washing and some inane lyrics about the sun not shining.
I'm very sorry to read of your experience with the so-called authorities. I had something similar after my wife's sudden death in February this year, and the alacrity with which our protectors responded to the possible over-payment of a few quid was breathtaking. I took advice (my own!) and ignored the letters, and they appear to have gone quiet, but I'll probably have a visit or a letter from somebody or other later. If only the large public company which had the task of administering her small private pension, which they were quick to pull the plug on, responded to emails, telephone calls and letters regarding the widower's pension I should be getting! Without it, I could claim Pension Credit, but because I'm owed the pension, backdated, I'd be committing a falsehood in claiming Pension Credit. You can't win!

scotrail158713

Established Member
I currently want to ban any adverts I see. I watch a lot of content on All4 and they seem to have increased the length of advert breaks in programmes by about a minute (3m30s used to be the longest with many shorter than this whilst it now seems all breaks are 4m30s). No doubt it's just a not-so-sly move to encourage you to subscribe to All4+ instead, however it's likely to make me go elsewhere so end up having the reverse effect instead. :rolleyes:

Jimini

Established Member
I currently want to ban any adverts I see. I watch a lot of content on All4 and they seem to have increased the length of advert breaks in programmes by about a minute (3m30s used to be the longest with many shorter than this whilst it now seems all breaks are 4m30s). No doubt it's just a not-so-sly move to encourage you to subscribe to All4+ instead, however it's likely to make me go elsewhere so end up having the reverse effect instead. :rolleyes:

Ad blockers work on the Channel 5 app -- it just skips the commercial break and goes into the next segment of the programme. Not sure if All4 might work the same as well? I'll give it a spin in a bit, see what happens.

AM9

Veteran Member
That "rich American middle-aged" woman in the adverts is Katheryn Ryan - a comedienne and she annoys me at the best of times.
And she's Canadian-Irish and 38 years old, not 'American middle-aged'. I find her quite entertaining actually (not in adverts as such).

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
And she's Canadian-Irish and 38 years old, not 'American middle-aged'. I find her quite entertaining actually (not in adverts as such).
I only went off the type of accent that I heard, which was not what I term "English", so why use that woman in a British advert. Are there not British actresses who the part could have been offered to. 38 years of age does not put the woman in the "spring chicken" class, speaking as a person who is 77 years of age.

AM9

Veteran Member
I only went off the type of accent that I heard, which was not what I term "English", so why use that woman in a British advert. Are there not British actresses who the part could have been offered to. 38 years of age does not put the woman in the "spring chicken" class, speaking as a person who is 77 years of age.
The purpose of advertisements is to promote a product or service, and in modern times the target audience is not necessarily a mentally land-locked white Anglo-Saxon Englander just because it is delivered via a mainstream UK channel. We haven't (yet) got to the point where TV personalities are required to conform to some stereotype approval from Rees Mogg, - even Ms Dorries!
Even if the advert irritates the viewer, that doesn't mean that it has failed, the mere fact that it is being discussed here proves that it has been noticed.

VauxhallandI

Established Member
Coming over here stealing our adverts

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Even if the advert irritates the viewer, that doesn't mean that it has failed, the mere fact that it is being discussed here proves that it has been noticed.
And what seems to be the general reaction to the said "noticed" TV " advert?

Coming over here stealing our adverts
Mind you, the "EE" advert always has a voiceover by a male American, who many people were amazed that I knew not. Some actor from "over the pond" evidentially.

AM9

Veteran Member
And what seems to be the general reaction to the said "noticed" TV " advert?
Nobody but the marketing department whose budget paid for it really knows, but if their MD continues to pay for the campaign the we must assume that the results are positive. The occasional objection on a social media website is not a relevant metric.

duncanp

Established Member
I think the GO Compare TV adverts were deliberately designed to be irritating, in the hope that the resulting fuss would at least get the brand name well known.

Well the bit about making them irritating certainly worked for me. <(<(<(

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Mind you, the "EE" advert always has a voiceover by a male American, who many people were amazed that I knew not. Some actor from "over the pond" evidentially.
Kevin Bacon, who all of a sudden became available and willing to appear in adverts for mobile phone companies on small islands off the coast of Europe... right around the time that Bernie Madoff's Ponzi scheme collapsed. Must be a coincidence. :lol:

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Kevin Bacon, who all of a sudden became available and willing to appear in adverts for mobile phone companies on small islands off the coast of Europe... right around the time that Bernie Madoff's Ponzi scheme collapsed. Must be a coincidence. :lol:
Bernie Madoff was very insistent that his name be pronounced 'Made off' rather than 'Mad off', so his greedy and credulous 'victims' could hardly complain when he made off with their spare dosh. :)

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
I become very annoyed when advertising agencies use known addictions to help market services. I have just seen the S** Bingo TV advert which starts in a kitchen scene where a man has just prepared ingredients to cook a meal and established the cooking time for it. The unfortunate man is a bingo addict and the first thing that comes to his mind, knowing the time that the meal will need to be cooked, is the opportunity to immediately access the S** bingo website with a big smile on his face. He then contacts an elderly female addict to see if she was playing S** bingo and after that call, the elderly female addict contacts a young female addict to see if she was playing S** bingo and that unfortunate addict was full of glee at thought of it.

Last edited:

IanD

Established Member
Idris Elba advertising booking.com ("No photos, I'm making a commercial" - they are extras in you commercial ffs). How the mighty have fallen.

Legal and General equity release "My home helped pay for that". Smugness to the extreme and really bad acting. How terrible were the audition failees?? Maybe Idris wasn't available.

VauxhallandI

Established Member
I was in service stations yesterday and Cadence are playing the carbon monoxide will kill your card very heavily.

Now we know it is a danger they seem to be saying if you leave the house to go anywhere then take an alarm with you

They also seem to be bigging up that barbecues are deadly carbon monoxide killers

ABB125

Established Member
I was in service stations yesterday and Cadence are playing the carbon monoxide will kill your card very heavily.

Now we know it is a danger they seem to be saying if you leave the house to go anywhere then take an alarm with you

They also seem to be bigging up that barbecues are deadly carbon monoxide killers
Meanwhile, my student accommodation hasn't got a CO alarm, which I believe is a legal requirement in gas-fitted rental properties... :D

At some point I'll remind the letting agent about their responsibilities!

D821

The adverts from BP and Shell that come across all chummy, in an attempt to distract us from how much they've screwed us over during the recent fuel crisis. I have a particular hate for the BP one where a group of terrible people are travelling to see some jazz being played in a field, for some unknown reason.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
The copywriter responsible for the current Home Furniture Land adverts can get in the sea. Not sure which annoys me most, the cheesy music or the horrible narrator woman who sounds like the answer to the question: "What if Cruella De Ville was from Bolton?"