• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Annoying television adverts...

Typhoon

Established Member
When my dear wife to whom I married in 1975 died in November 2021, the Co-op Gold Plan covered all things that made it a notable occasion for people she had known over her lifetime to attend and pay their wishes. The church where the funeral service was held was packed to capacity with people from all areas of the country and the interment took place in the newly-dug family grave, which the Co-op and my twin sons were involved with, as a new grave cannot be now actioned until time of first bereavement. The celebration of her life was held, like our Wedding Breakfast in 1975, in a large Victorian building of note surrounded by well-tended parkland, which all of us thought was the best send-off to give her.
Thank you for that. You knew what your wife wanted, and what you and your family wanted for your wife, And that is the way it should be. I wish I had asked my mother years ago what she wanted - the time not to ask when it is their time. She thought she had hers paid for, unfortunately she didn't. That was not a problem. I have learnt. Mine is planned and paid for.

My concern is that those of advancing years may be persuaded to opt for a Direct Cremation because of the cost. Funerals are a sensitive area and I believe those advertising funerals (of any type) need to be particularly careful about how they promote them, whether that is including all the mandatory costs in advertising, indicating what is not included in the product and not trying to sell 'extras'.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Northumbriana

The colgate advert where the conversation is somehow steered from the man's time on the streets to dental problems. It's about as casual as a toff wearing a top hat at a rave.

birchesgreen

Established Member
I was watching some ITVX, every advert break has that Katy Perry ad for Just Eat, appealing as Katy Perry dressed as a pizza or a cake is, it soon gets old.

Intercity110

On Moderation
We buy any car. I get it these (fake) real people do splendidly choreographed dances when they sell their car to a little green hut in the brecon beacons or the pennines or any mountain range. The philip schofield ones did occasionally get a laugh but these? No.

duncanp

Established Member
We buy any car. I get it these (fake) real people do splendidly choreographed dances when they sell their car to a little green hut in the brecon beacons or the pennines or any mountain range. The philip schofield ones did occasionally get a laugh but these? No.

What We Buy Any Car fail to mention in the adverts is that their online valuation (in only 30 seconds) is subject to an inspection when you take it to the local branch.

The registration number of the car, which We Buy Any Car use to produce their so called "valuation", doesn't tell you anything about the condition it is in.

I also find the adverts for Cazoo, Cinch (especially Rylan Clark <(<(), Motorway and any of the other car selling websites more than a little annoying.

Intercity110

On Moderation
What We Buy Any Car fail to mention in the adverts is that their online valuation (in only 30 seconds) is subject to an inspection when you take it to the local branch.

The registration number of the car, which We Buy Any Car use to produce their so called "valuation", doesn't tell you anything about the condition it is in.

I also find the adverts for Cazoo, Cinch (especially Rylan Clark <(<(), Motorway and any of the other car selling websites more than a little annoying.
i’m suprised cazoo don’t use kazoos in their ads, cinch just makes me think of love island (how disgusting!) and motorway’s orgional advert was better, as it made refrence to a motorway.

Ediswan

Established Member
It is in the small text at the bottom of the screen. Along with mention that there may be an admin fee.

Lost property

Could we ban Amanda Holden from appearing on TV?

Holden seems to have switched sides now to Auntie Beeb appearing on a renovation show with Alan Carr, and the other week was also on The One Show. She appeared to be talking about herself, promoting herself, and everything about herself.

If ever the men in white coats were to take her away for a psychiatric assessment, Holden would most likely be diagnosed with borderline personality disorder and/or narcissism. She was once married to Les Dennis years ago, and I can see how it was a good move to have got rid of year a long time ago.
I always thought that was the sole purpose of "The One Show" made even worse when pasty chops was fawning over everybody who appeared.

As for adverts, yes, Cinch and Rylan are up there for a record breaking change on the remote whenever the ad appears, plus, as I may have mentioned before....the Lenor ad with the piles of washing and so called "singing " dialogue.

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
I always thought that was the sole purpose of "The One Show" made even worse when pasty chops was fawning over everybody who appeared.

As for adverts, yes, Cinch and Rylan are up there for a record breaking change on the remote whenever the ad appears, plus, as I may have mentioned before....the Lenor ad with the piles of washing and so called "singing " dialogue.

I realised that I was meant to have posted in the "Comedic things you would like to ban" thread, which I have now fixed.

Regarding annoying ads, I have noticed McDonald's appear to be taking up a lot of airwaves with different versions of how they advertise their menu. One that has popped up recently is the one with two ladies leading the whole office block for a stroll to McD's.

When I was on a railway journey back in 2017-18 (I cannot remember where exactly), it was late at night and I felt like a small portion of fries or chips, plus a cup of tea or a soft drink. The only options available to me after wandering around was McDonald's, Kentucky Fried Chicken, and Burger King. Not much of a choice really, as they are all rubbish.

route101

Established Member
The apple fitness ad on youtube with an extremely annoying tune. Something like ' get inspired, how about that' or something'

Welshman

Established Member
The Octosmart ad on ITV3.
Tells me what its going to tell me.
Then tells me.
Then tells me what its told me.
Goes on for ages.
Drives me crazy.

Ive started recording all commercial programmes I want to see in advance, then just zap out the ads on the run-through.

yorksrob

Veteran Member

I find the one where lots of business people are dancing on giant calculators to compete for a car, intensely irritating.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I find it annoying ( albeit somewhat amusing ) when an advert appears which uses a very familiar piece of music from childrens' TV from the 1970s and 1980s, slowed down 3 to 5 times, for a serious purpose.

Did they really think nobody would notice?

( NB I'm deliberately not saying which advert it is to see if anyone else offers up the same advert in reply... )

SteveP29

They all irritate the living crap out of me now.

Watching a series of adverts on various subjects on YouTube lately and I realised that there are no entertaining adverts any more.

YouTube Sweet Adverts The uploader of this advert video being the source.

Today's ads are all factual, all infomercials, what a mobile phone network is capable of, how to get implants in your teeth, memory foam mattresses etc.

Not the greatest examples, but the Nicole/ Papa Renault Clio adverts, daft songs with dancing donkeys and Su Pollard, McCain oven chips "will it be chips or jacket spuds" etc, now we get 'McCain is investing in places for families etc'

I guess the ban on tobacco and alcohol advertising killed all that, there's no humour/ fun in adverts any more, that's why we fast forward through them in recordings, skip them on YouTube and in some instances, pay NOT to have adverts on some streaming platforms.

I was watching some ITVX, every advert break has that Katy Perry ad for Just Eat, appealing as Katy Perry dressed as a pizza or a cake is, it soon gets old.
That's another thing, the repetition is nauseous, EVERY ad break is the same ads, no variation.
See an ad the first time, you're guaranteed to see it again at least another half a dozen times that day

Last edited:

Lost property

Watching a series of adverts on various subjects on YouTube lately and I realised that there are no entertaining adverts any more.

Today's ads are all factual, all infomercials, what a mobile phone network is capable of, how to get implants in your teeth, memory foam mattresses etc.

Not the greatest examples, but the Nicole/ Papa Renault Clio adverts, daft songs with dancing donkeys and Su Pollard, McCain oven chips "will it be chips or jacket spuds" etc, now we get 'McCain is investing in places for families etc'

I guess the ban on tobacco and alcohol advertising killed all that, there's no humour/ fun in adverts any more, that's why we fast forward through them in recordings, skip them on YouTube and in some instances, pay NOT to have adverts on some streaming platforms.

That's another thing, the repetition is nauseous, EVERY ad break is the same ads, no variation.
See an ad the first time, you're guaranteed to see it again at least another half a dozen times that day
I think you've just summated all media advertising ....perfectly ! One small point however... plus the frequency and duration of the adverts ..which destroy the flow of the programme.

McRhu

Having only recently reacquired a television set (Sky Glass) I find that whenever I switch channels there’s a good 99% chance that I land in the middle of an ad break. Is this purely bad luck or is it engineered in such a way as to default thus.

Ps: I did like the old Cherry B ad, but I think it disappeared when they switched to this new fangled 625 lines tomfoolery.

DunsBus

Established Member

The "will it be chips or jacket spuds" one was actually for Birds Eye Steakhouse Grills. First aired in 1983, it was aired again in 1993.

Northumbriana

Having only recently reacquired a television set (Sky Glass) I find that whenever I switch channels there’s a good 99% chance that I land in the middle of an ad break. Is this purely bad luck or is it engineered in such a way as to default thus.
I've noticed that aswell, but I usually switch channels when an ad break is on and sure enough other channels seem to be syncing up their ad breaks with each other. On some occasions the ad break has felt so long I've forgotten what I was actually watching.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
One of my neighbours tells me that he has seen a recent TV advert (he thinks it was a McDonald one) that has background "music" in which his favoured model railway gauge of "OO" is constantly repeated by someone with a bass voice.

Intercity110

On Moderation
One of my neighbours tells me that he has seen a recent TV advert (he thinks it was a McDonald one) that has background "music" in which his favoured model railway gauge of "OO" is constantly repeated by someone with a bass voice.
it was, as the whole building gets enslaved to go and purchase some soggy chips and undercooked burgers from a 17-21 year old.

DannyMich2018

it was, as the whole building gets enslaved to go and purchase some soggy chips and undercooked burgers from a 17-21 year old.
It's quite a sad these adverts-they make me cringe!! Though I put mute on- Mcdonald's seems to be spending a fortune on advertising right now.

Sprinter107

The one that gets me at the moment, is the British Seniors ad. A grandmother and granddaughter are playing hide and seek, and the grandmother goes and hides in a tent, then, in the middle of the game, decides to just ring up British Seniors and take out a policy. Why would anyone take out a policy in the middle of hide and seek? Who thinks of these things.

Bungle73

On Moderation
The one that gets me at the moment, is the British Seniors ad. A grandmother and granddaughter are playing hide and seek, and the grandmother goes and hides in a tent, then, in the middle of the game, decides to just ring up British Seniors and take out a policy. Why would anyone take out a policy in the middle of hide and seek? Who thinks of these things.

Just looked up that ad on YT. Is it just me or does that woman look much older than the "fifty" she is claiming? :s