• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Annoying television adverts...

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
After watching a number of the Verisure alarm adverts, I have come to the idea that there is one particular town in Britain that has been subjected to a brain-altering ray cunningly operated by the Verisure technical department with the result that the only topic of conversation is Verisure alarms. I wonder if one of the old "B" movies from past times had a similar storyline.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

duncanp

Established Member
The one that gets me at the moment, is the British Seniors ad. A grandmother and granddaughter are playing hide and seek, and the grandmother goes and hides in a tent, then, in the middle of the game, decides to just ring up British Seniors and take out a policy. Why would anyone take out a policy in the middle of hide and seek? Who thinks of these things.

Yes, I find all adverts for over 50's life insurance very irritating.

Not only does it make me (60 in April this year) feel like a right old coffin dodger, but all these over 50s life policies are the biggest con trick out.

Inflation reduces the buying power of the fixed cash sum, so it may not be enough to pay for your funeral anyway, and if you live too long you may end up paying out more in premiums than you (or to be more precise your executors) get back.

If you want to pay for your funeral in advance, then pay the cost to a recognised firm of funeral directors.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Inflation reduces the buying power of the fixed cash sum, so it may not be enough to pay for your funeral anyway, and if you live too long you may end up paying out more in premiums than you (or to be more precise your executors) get back.

If you want to pay for your funeral in advance, then pay the cost to a recognised firm of funeral directors.
When my dear wife passed away in November 2021, just a week prior to what would have been her 80th birthday, the prepaid Co-op Funeral Gold Plan met all requirements and I too have a Co-op prepaid Funeral Gold Plan when it is time for me to go. They were eminently professionable in all that needed attending to.

duncanp

Established Member
When my dear wife passed away in November 2021, just a week prior to what would have been her 80th birthday, the prepaid Co-op Funeral Gold Plan met all requirements and I too have a Co-op prepaid Funeral Gold Plan when it is time for me to go. They were eminently professionable in all that needed attending to.

My father took out a funeral plan in 1994, and he died in 2007.

The undertakers had the benefit of the lump sum of money for the 13 years, and presumably earned some interest on the money.

If paying for your funeral in advance is your primary objective, then you should take out a policy that guarantees that objective, not some sub standard financial product that not only doesn't guarantee that the cost of the funeral will be met, but could mean that you pay more in premiums that is paid out when you die.

I too have found that professional funeral directors can take away a great deal of stress at what is one of the most difficult times of anyone's life.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
If paying for your funeral in advance is your primary objective, then you should take out a policy that guarantees that objective, not some sub standard financial product that not only doesn't guarantee that the cost of the funeral will be met, but could mean that you pay more in premiums that is paid out when you die.

I too have found that professional funeral directors can take away a great deal of stress at what is one of the most difficult times of anyone's life.
The Co-op funeral Gold Plan is their most expensive package, costing over £4,000. Because I hold a Co-op shopping card as a member, I was given a £250 discount off both the plans that I purchased.

DelW

Established Member
One advert that annoys me, albeit in a trivial way, is the one where a supposed inventor builds a clock for the first time, but then doesn't know what time to set it to. This conveniently ignores the fact that humans have been telling the time for millenia by using sundials, astronomy, water clocks and no doubt other means.
I suppose it's meant to be funny, but it just reeks of encouraging ignorance to me.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
One of my neighbours tells me that he has seen a recent TV advert (he thinks it was a McDonald one) that has background "music" in which his favoured model railway gauge of "OO" is constantly repeated by someone with a bass voice.
it was, as the whole building gets enslaved to go and purchase some soggy chips and undercooked burgers from a 17-21 year old.
Ths music in question is "Oh Yeah", by Yello and is by no means a new production; it was also used in an advert for a well known British car manufacturer:

(Advert in the video is for the Metro GTa)

dgl

Established Member
Why the constant repeating of "O-O" and what is that supposed to signify?
It was just a bit of fun, Boris convincing Dieter to just have a play around and then just playing around with pitch-shifting and sampling of the result.
As a band Yello were/are a complete package and did everything themselves so the record company had no involvement in the output, helped that the lead singer of the duo was already extremely wealthy and could bank roll it all. Lead singer Dieter Meier also directed the video for Big in Japan.

Bungle73

On Moderation
Why the constant repeating of "O-O" and what is that supposed to signify?
I'm surprised you haven't come across that song before. I can't name anything specific, but I remember it being used in several different productions over the years.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
I'm surprised you haven't come across that song before.
If that is supposed to be a song, times have certainly changed since I was born in 1945...o_O

I am informed what is currently classified as "hip-hop" is a music genre for people unable to sing normally, so this particular offering may well apply to others with a poor command of music.

Lloyds siding

If that is supposed to be a song, times have certainly changed since I was born in 1945...o_O

I am informed what is currently classified as "hip-hop" is a music genre for people unable to sing normally, so this particular offering may well apply to others with a poor command of music.
'Oh yeah' by Yello came out in 1985, so it's been around for very nearly half your life.....

philthetube

Established Member
I've noticed that aswell, but I usually switch channels when an ad break is on and sure enough other channels seem to be syncing up their ad breaks with each other. On some occasions the ad break has felt so long I've forgotten what I was actually watching.
ny channel basing programming around the time on the hour will have their adds on at approx. the same time, 15/30/45/00
My father took out a funeral plan in 1994, and he died in 2007.

The undertakers had the benefit of the lump sum of money for the 13 years, and presumably earned some interest on the money.

During that time inflation will more than erode and interest received, probably a good deal for the buyer

Lloyds siding

It was just a bit of fun, Boris convincing Dieter to just have a play around and then just playing around with pitch-shifting and sampling of the result.
As a band Yello were/are a complete package and did everything themselves so the record company had no involvement in the output, helped that the lead singer of the duo was already extremely wealthy and could bank roll it all. Lead singer Dieter Meier also directed the video for Big in Japan.

Your 'Big in Japan' by Alphaville is another candidate for the 'Artists only known for one song' thread..

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
The "new" Head & Shoulders "I didn't know you had dandruff" adverts are extremely irritating. There were annoying the first time around (80s?) and I can't see why they thought it was a good idea to bring the stupid concept back for a second time!

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
The "new" Head & Shoulders "I didn't know you had dandruff" adverts are extremely irritating. There were annoying the first time around (80s?) and I can't see why they thought it was a good idea to bring the stupid concept back for a second time!
Totally agree. The particular part of a recent advert that would never appear in a major film is when the man has rushed to answer the phone to confirm he had the required items of currency in the large case and is asked about his scaip condition. Perhaps advertising agencies in their bubble of unreal life do not realise that members of the global criminal fraternity care not a jot about such matters at times as shown in the advert.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Are the adverts for Sun Life etc run on a seasonal basis?

Because they were previously discussed in this thread, first when it was new in spring 2022, then in spring 2022, and then just now?

I look forward to the next repeats in spring 2024, perhaps with the same contributors again… :D

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
I am not sure if this has been mentioned already with regards to a Purple Bricks advert that is set in a pottery class, but in that advert everyone was just carrying on with their work in hand and the stupid interfering busybody of a woman who seems to want to have the last word insists on bringing Purple Bricks into a house situation that had already been completed and gets her come-uppance for her interfering. You get the feeling that nothing will ever her change her interfering nature.

Ediswan

Established Member
'Oh yeah' by Yello came out in 1985, so it's been around for very nearly half your life.....
In the advert, it sounded wrong. However, my entire Yello collection is 'Hands on Yello' (1995). I have only just noticed that is all remixes.

Northumbriana

Spotify adverts, first...Kid Bopz. I'm pretty sure they use actors who are older than their actual target audience because I doubt children the same age as those in this advert would be won over by such a cringeworthy ad.

Secondly, one of those holiday adverts where the voice over is overly relaxed/sickeningly blissful like they're high.

TV adverts, the Oral-B adverts where the woman cleaning her teeth stares up at the ceiling in contemplation at wondering if her toothpaste is 'working hard' like a confused dog.

No further comments on those adverts, I just find them to be stupid.

Lost property

The Numan adverts...with the cartoon characters and, seemingly, the ability to cure all known ailments !

However, whilst 99.99 % of tv adverts are dire / dross...make your own preference here, every so often one emerges that is a welcome change.

The latest "Twix " ad shows two campers...being watched by two bears, one of who says, as the "Twix " bar is snapped in two " I love the cracking sound they make "..or words very similar.

This appeals to my sense of humour.

jfollows

Established Member
Pure Cremation, I think it is, is running an advert in which it tells me that its funerals cost £16.90 or something like that - it only mentions the price in the voice commentary, it isn't displayed, and it's something like "sixteen ninety". Of course I realise it's probably £1,690 but it seems both vague and misleading. I'm not currently in the market for their services anyway.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
I use Microsoft Edge as my current web browser and on the start-up screen, they have a habit of making brief notes. One such recent offering was expounding the fact that one of their facilities gives you "documents that shine". "That's interesting" I thought and did a sample document just before midnight, switched off the light in my computer study.....and couldn't see a damn thing. So much for the "shining" and the only good thing was that phrase reminded me of the film with Jack Nicholson and his son who kept repeating the name of the racehorse Red Rum.

Ediswan

Established Member
Two are currently annoying me.

The road safety ad which ends with "Watch your speed. Everyone else does.". The second sentence is false.

The typewriter bell on the Magnum Mini ad. It should sound shortly before the line space (carriage return) lever is used, not after.

Pete_uk

Established Member
The money supermarket adverts annoy me.

The 'Make Mondays work for you' Reed.co.uk singing happy advert gets on my nerves too.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
I wonder if anyone can assist. Many years ago, I am sure that in a TV advert for Silver Wing Holidays, I heard a re-worded version of a Boney M song in it and I wonder what year this advert might have been around and what ever became of Silver Wing Holidays?