• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Annoying television adverts...

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
When I was streaming something on ITV last night, I saw the TK Maxx ad again which I had thought had disappeared.

This is the one where various young women all say individually while sounding surprised in that "TK Maxx have a website".

Being as you can come across TK Maxx stores in most large towns and cities, I would expect them to already have a website.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Benters

The Google Megapixel mobile phone advert where the woman constantly mispronounces the word 'photo' over and over again. She misses the 't' out and just comes over as really thick with an annoying tone of voice to boot.
Plus, do I really want to know she's got a Google Megapixel phone? Quite frankly,no.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
The Motorway car buying advert with people jumping up and down on large calculators attempting to buy your car.
Yes, increasingly annoying. Not sure what the underlying message is... Stomp your feet a lot and maybe get more £££ for your used car?

P.S. How does Motorway's business model actually work? Do they charge a listing fee and/or maybe get a % commission on completed car sales?

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Yes, increasingly annoying. Not sure what the underlying message is... Stomp your feet a lot and maybe get more £££ for your used car?

P.S. How does Motorway's business model actually work? Do they charge a listing fee and/or maybe get a % commission on completed car sales?
Surely the portrayed winning dealer, having spent more on the car, would have to charge more than other dealers selling the same model.

(Or have I misunderstood the raison d'etre that the advertising agency sought to convey?)

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Surely the portrayed winning dealer, having spent more on the car, would have to charge more than other dealers selling the same model.

(Or have I misunderstood the raison d'etre that the advertising agency sought to convey?)
That's exactly the point - when you want to sell it, they basically auction your car to their registered dealers.

Over time, that will of course push up the prices of all secondhand cars more than would otherwise happen as those dealers will seek to protect their margins when they sell the cars on later.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
There has been an advert from mydieselclaim.com running for months that gives the impression that "thousands" can be claimed and that "thousands" have already added their name to the list of claimees who have added their name to the company acting as legal processor of such claims. Nothing is said how much that company will take as a percentage of any monies for each claimee nor does it make clear when this matter will go before the courts.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
There has been an advert from mydieselclaim.com running for months that gives the impression that "thousands" can be claimed and that "thousands" have already added their name to the list of claimees who have added their name to the company acting as legal processor of such claims. Nothing is said how much that company will take as a percentage of any monies for each claimee nor does it make clear when this matter will go before the courts.
The amount that the legal firm (PGMBM Law Ltd (formerly Excello Law Ltd) trading as Pogust Goodhead) will deduct, if successful, is up to 50% inclusive of VAT apparently.

However, not, by some way, the most positive recent feedback on 'UK TrustPilot', where most reviewers complain about having signed up some time ago, and then not much happening, apart from repeated requests from the firm to provide the same information, again and again.

You might just end up fuming if you were to sign up. (So perhaps not all that different from the actual cars!)

Last edited:

Northumbriana

Just seen that Fabreeze advert about odours escaping from the toilet into the air whenever you flush and pushing their spray as the solution. The toilet has a lid you can close though, just close the damn thing. It's right there in clear view.

duncanp

Established Member
Can we please extend the scope of this thread to include annoying radio adverts?

The ones for companies that wish to buy your unused or unwanted gold are particularly annoying at the moment. <( <(

The idea that you would put potentially valuable items of gold in the post and send them off to a complete stranger to get "valued" is not something that I would want to do anyway.

AM9

Veteran Member
If there was a whole class of TV adverts that I abhor it would be those from the gambling industry.
The number of ordinary people whose lives have been destroyed by gambling is alarmingly high. Yet all the time adverts are wholesale after the watershed, each carefully crafted to present all gambler's as happy prosperous individuals fully in control of their lives. Then there follows the lure of 'free bets' and other inducements that hang on the screen as long as possible follows by a token 'bet responsibly' message in the smallest text resolvable on a standard TV. If only the Trades Description section of the Consumer Rights Act was property enforced, there might be a bit less misery in so e families.
Rant over!

gg1

Established Member
If there was a whole class of TV adverts that I abhor it would be those from the gambling industry.
The number of ordinary people whose lives have been destroyed by gambling is alarmingly high. Yet all the time adverts are wholesale after the watershed, each carefully crafted to present all gambler's as happy prosperous individuals fully in control of their lives. Then there follows the lure of 'free bets' and other inducements that hang on the screen as long as possible follows by a token 'bet responsibly' message in the smallest text resolvable on a standard TV. If only the Trades Description section of the Consumer Rights Act was property enforced, there might be a bit less misery in so e families.
Rant over!
Absolutely, they also try and give the impression that gambling is a normal part of being a sport fan.

I would go further and treat gambling much the same as smoking, ie a complete ban on ALL advertising and sponsorship for any type of gambling.

DunsBus

Established Member
Can we please extend the scope of this thread to include annoying radio adverts?

The ones for companies that wish to buy your unused or unwanted gold are particularly annoying at the moment. <( <(

The idea that you would put potentially valuable items of gold in the post and send them off to a complete stranger to get "valued" is not something that I would want to do anyway.
Yes, apparently gold prices have gone galactic. :lol:

DunsBus

Established Member
If I see that advert asking for donations to Water Aid one more time, I'll be sending them a bucket.

duncanp

Established Member
If I see that advert asking for donations to Water Aid one more time, I'll be sending them a bucket.

It is not just Water Aid, but all the guilt tripping adverts for charities that ask you to donate "....just £2 per month....".

Whilst I don't doubt that all these charities are deserving causes, it is not right to prey on individual people's feeling and make them feel guilty if they don't donate money to whatever charity is running the advert.

Each individual must examine their own conscience and decide how much they can give to charity, and what charities the wish to donate to. Having done that, the shouldn't feel guilty about not giving to other causes, however deserving they might be.

DunsBus

Established Member
It is not just Water Aid, but all the guilt tripping adverts for charities that ask you to donate "....just £2 per month....".

Whilst I don't doubt that all these charities are deserving causes, it is not right to prey on individual people's feeling and make them feel guilty if they don't donate money to whatever charity is running the advert.

Each individual must examine their own conscience and decide how much they can give to charity, and what charities the wish to donate to. Having done that, the shouldn't feel guilty about not giving to other causes, however deserving they might be.
Exactly this. Plus, there's every chance the people featured will see very little of the £2 per month once admin fees etc have been taken off.

The timing of these ads is also poor given the current cost of living crisis.

If people want to donate to charity then they will, but on their own terms. We certainly don't need these "guilt trip" ads.

AM9

Veteran Member

Then the failure is that viewers of charity adverts don't have confidence in their own reasons for not giving what they can afford.

Exactly this. Plus, there's every chance the people featured will see very little of the £2 per month once admin fees etc have been taken off.

The timing of these ads is also poor given the current cost of living crisis.

If people want to donate to charity then they will, but on their own terms. We certainly don't need these "guilt trip" ads.
Those for whom charities appeal are often in far more danger than those who can't currently afford to donate owing to the current CoL crisis. There's no shame in not being able to make donations through genuine hardship, but TV services aren't run just for them, and presumably, the charities get a sufficient return for the ad rates.

Last edited:

daveo

On the current Morrisons advert at a meat counter, is the young child really as wooden as he appears?

PeterY

Established Member

I'm so glad I've become advert immune. One reason I don't what commercial TV at home. The only time I suffer ads is if I'm at my friends house, she never turn the TV off . :frown:

AM9

Veteran Member
I'm so glad I've become advert immune. One reason I don't what commercial TV at home. The only time I suffer ads is if I'm at my friends house, she never turn the TV off . :frown:
I'm generally advert immune even when I'm sitting in fron to a TV on a commercial channel. It just takes a little self control.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Did I really see a Verisure alarm TV advert where two young women are talking and one says to the other....."Yes, they had a Verisure alarm fitted the day after they were burgled"

Reminds me of the old adage of locking the stable door after the horse has bolted.

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
Did I really see a Verisure alarm TV advert where two young women are talking and one says to the other....."Yes, they had a Verisure alarm fitted the day after they were burgled"

Reminds me of the old adage of locking the stable door after the horse has bolted.

On the other hand, having a visible burglar alarm box fixed to the wall outside would thus be advertising that there are things worth nicking inside.