• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Annoying television adverts...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Not a TV advert but on YouTube, there is an advert for Visit Israel. It is targeted at 15-25 year olds but the people presenting the advert use (I hope I never use this word again) cringey language such as "hip" and "colourful" in places that don't make any sense.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Not a TV advert but on YouTube, there is an advert for Visit Israel. It is targeted at 15-25 year olds but the people presenting the advert use (I hope I never use this word again) cringey language such as "hip" and "colourful" in places that don't make any sense.
When I had a recent fall at home landing on my left hip, I think that I used "colourful" language in an attempt to recover from the pain in that part of my anatomy.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Another advert that stetches my credulity is the Sharps Fitted Wardrobe advert that shows a young woman feeing that her two existing wardrobes that seem to fit all her existing clothing are not enough (no spare clothing draped over chairs in the room) and decides to have Sharps in to fit wall fitting units that give a far larger storage area, shoes being a notable example, and then the advert goes on to show a vast increase in the number of clothes the woman now has.

So she has not just had to pay the cost of these new fitted wardrobes, but also the cost of all the new clothing that would never have fitted in her existing wardrobes. But we are not told how this occurred.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Another advert that stetches my credulity is the Sharps Fitted Wardrobe advert that shows a young woman feeing that her two existing wardrobes that seem to fit all her existing clothing are not enough (no spare clothing draped over chairs in the room) and decides to have Sharps in to fit wall fitting units that give a far larger storage area, shoes being a notable example, and then the advert goes on to show a vast increase in the number of clothes the woman now has.

So she has not just had to pay the cost of these new fitted wardrobes, but also the cost of all the new clothing that would never have fitted in her existing wardrobes. But we are not told how this occurred.
If she’s like my 42 year old, she probably lives in Yorkshire but still has a wardrobe in Hampshire with her other rarely used stuff in it… :rolleyes:

Lost property

The latest ad for a "well known holiday booking site "....which can book off ....plus, the ever increasingly sanctimonious M&S ads where those featured can't do enough for M & S...

duncanp

Established Member
How about the Avanti West Coast advert featuring.....

....a tortoise on roller skates.

This must be annyoing for passengers facing numerous cancellations and delays, but there again perhaps a tortoise on roller skates is quite appropriate for Avanti at the moment.

For me, the most annoying tv ads include make up ads, life insurance and verisure alarms.

Although in addition to that, ALL tv ads are annoying.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
In one of those recent "cremation" adverts, a woman says no-one wants funerals any more.....(That is going to come as a surprise to the funeral directors of this country who arrange thousands of such funerals every year)...:rolleyes:

Yet to prove the woman wrong, in the short time the advert was on, two funeral corteges passed her, going in different directions.

Last edited:

duncanp

Established Member
For me, the most annoying tv ads include make up ads, life insurance and verisure alarms.

Although in addition to that, ALL tv ads are annoying.

Yes!! - I am glad I am not the only grumpy old g** who finds all TV ads annoying.

As I get older (pushing 60) I cannot really get enthusiastic about shouty adverts that try and whip you up into a frenzy of excitement about some mundane product like a biscuit.

The ones for banks are especially annoying, as they give the impression that they are providing an excellent responsive service to their customers, when in reality you have branch closures, difficulty in speaking to a human being if there is a problem, and websites and apps which crash with increasing regularity.

AM9

Veteran Member
In one of those recent "cremation" adverts, a woman says no-one wants funerals any more.....

That is going to come as a surprise to the funeral directors of this country who arrange thousands of such funerals every year...:rolleyes:
But as a proportion of the total UK deaths, last year over 78% were cremated so that 'woman's' comment isn't far from the mark. It has been over 70% and increasing every year since 2000* and doesn't look like the trend is reversing anytime soon.
* the exception is in 2020 the figure was 78.46% falling to 78.45% in 2021, probably influenced by the excess deaths arising from COVID-19 in 2020, (a 14% increase on 2019 and still over 3% greater than 2021).

duncanp

Established Member
But as a proportion of the total UK deaths, last year over 78% were cremated so that 'woman's' comment isn't far from the mark. It has been over 70% and increasing every year since 2000* and doesn't look like the trend is reversing anytime soon.
* the exception is in 2020 the figure was 78.46% falling to 78.45% in 2021, probably influenced by the excess deaths arising from COVID-19 in 2020, (a 14% increase on 2019 and still over 3% greater than 2021).

I think the advert is referring to "Pure Cremation", where a body is sent to the crematorium without having a funeral beforehand.

I don't know if there are figures available for the number of pure cremations compared to cremations following a funeral service.

duncanp

Established Member
"It's a Brum ting". Will be glad when the Commonwealth Games are over.

Yes, that advert is p****** me off (<(<(), and I live in the area, with the Queens Baton Relay passing right by where I live about an hour ago.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
"It's a Brum ting". Will be glad when the Commonwealth Games are over.
Fast forward to the year 2230 when the Commonwealth Games will be held in the city of Ripon (by then known as Ripon-on-Sea) with the slogan "By 'eck, these lasses are fast".

duncanp

Established Member
Can we please ban all adverts for Lloyds Bank that have any shots of black horses running across a field or along a beach, especially if accompanied by people looking gooey eyed at the horses.

When you compare this fantasy land and the slogan Lloyds Bank - by your side with the reality of continuing branch closures and generally bad customer service it gets really on your nerves.

D821

That sodding advert for George school clothing.

Hell is filled with stage school children rapping and dancing.

AM9

Veteran Member
Most TV adverts I just (mentally) switch off whilst they are on, - they may be a bit naff but I don't give the promoters the satisfaction of even being irritated by them, (as irritation is a sign that they are getting noticed which is a positive in advertising campaigns). Of course, avoiding the commercial channels is even better so there isn't even an interruption to programming.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
There's a Coca-Cola advert at the moment that has two people singing a sickeningly jaunty song that goes:

"Turn off the laptop... don't it feel great?
Closed all the tabs... don't it feel great?"

What's the problem with that, you may wonder... Well, they're running it on YouTube for one thing. I can't abide forced jollity in adverts at the best of times, but when there's such an obvious clash between medium and message, it really grinds my gears.

Pepsi Max is the superior cola anyway.

duncanp

Established Member
There's a Coca-Cola advert at the moment that has two people singing a sickeningly jaunty song that goes:

"Turn off the laptop... don't it feel great?
Closed all the tabs... don't it feel great?"

What's the problem with that, you may wonder... Well, they're running it on YouTube for one thing. I can't abide forced jollity in adverts at the best of times, but when there's such an obvious clash between medium and message, it really grinds my gears.

Pepsi Max is the superior cola anyway.

You are leaning against an open door with me on the subject of forced jollity in adverts.

And on the subject of annyoing adverts, what about the ones that come up in the middle of a You Tube video with very little warning.

There is a special place in hell for the person who introduced this policy. <(

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Another one, those Oreo adverts that show people combining those horrid biscuits with unusual accompaniments, such as a bloke who dips his biscuits in a glass of orange juice. They then ask "What's your Oreo twist?" with a suggestion that you send in a video of you eating them in an odd way in the hope of featuring in a future advert.

I don't use any of the sites (TikTok and Instagram) that they want these submissions in, but if I did my version would involve throwing their American rubbish into the bin, and having a superior biscuit such as a bourbon cream or chocolate hob-nob instead. I don't think they'd use that, though.