• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Annoying television adverts...

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
One very long running TV advert always asks the same question....."Did somebody say just eat". I wonder how many people watching that advert have actually heard someone asking that question? Many years ago when I was only middle-aged, I remember a family in a cafe being annoyed by one of their children pestering for attention and the mother in desperation responding with "Stop this silliness, just eat".

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

D821

One very long running TV advert always asks the same question....."Did somebody say just eat". I wonder how many people watching that advert have actually heard someone asking that question? Many years ago when I was only middle-aged, I remember a family in a cafe being annoyed by one of their children pestering for attention and the mother in desperation responding with "Stop this silliness, just eat".
Perhaps that child grew up and founded the company! :)

IanD

Established Member
There's currently a series of adverts running for Crown paints - "Life Stories". An extremely smug looking group singing supposedly amusing songs. Worst of all is one that ends "there's a baby on the way" (repeat ad nauseum - which is usually after the first bar of the song!).

yorksrob

Veteran Member
These adverts all have well-dressed women in very expensive houses with large gardens as the character in them and I wonder if these adverts are specifically targeted at the "Hyacinth Bucket" aspirational types....:)

I'm sure that Hyacinth would find such voucher schemes horribly common !

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
The dancing girls were mildly irritating, but the latest ones with Katherine Ryan in them just make me want to hurl abuse at the TV
They seem all aimed at people with large extensive properties, not just the hoi polloi.

So why should the vast majority of the population be in the least concerned whether the overdressed woman had seen something that she liked?

Lost property

On the subject of food....a certain pizza ad where, suddenly, everybody starts to communicate using some sort of known only to them coded English.

A certain sweet ad, showing two coppers, talking as if they've both just been sniffing helium.

And the increase in programmes which start with an ad...why ?...the ads can, and do, ruin the continuity of a programme anyway, and some ad. periods are now ridiculously excessive hence now commencing a programme with ads is just pure greed.

IanD

Established Member
On the subject of food....a certain pizza ad where, suddenly, everybody starts to communicate using some sort of known only to them coded English.
Thanks for reminding me how much I hated that.
A certain sweet ad, showing two coppers, talking as if they've both just been sniffing helium.
All of their ads (there's one with boxers too).

In fact any ad that has adults talking like children. Or just has children in it tbh.

Forty29

The lorry driver in the Macdonald's advert gives the impression the job is a breeze from dawn till teatime and still has time to stop several times for coffee, play cards and get home in good time for dinner. Oh it's because of the empty roads you see him driving on. Gave up the job because of the stress!!

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Sky Mobile has a TV advert showing a young schoolboy wearing glasses playing rugby, watched by his mother. I wonder if the agency who produced this advert realise that rugby is a contact sport and anyone wearing glasses could end with a loss of eyesight. Neither his mother nor the school appear to have any understanding of the dangers involved.

Ediswan

Established Member
Sky Mobile has a TV advert showing a young schoolboy wearing glasses playing rugby, watched by his mother. I wonder if the agency who produced this advert realise that rugby is a contact sport and anyone wearing glasses could end with a loss of eyesight. Neither his mother nor the school appear to have any understanding of the dangers involved.
This looks like the advert:

England Rugby say: https://www.englandrugby.com/dxdam/...4237df589e/new sports goggles and eyewear.pdf
The wearing of spectacles is prohibited for any type of contact rugby activity. However, both prescription
glasses and sunglasses are permitted for non-contact activities such as touch rugby and Under 8 and below
age grade variations
So it comes down to which variation of rugby is being shown.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
This looks like the advert:

England Rugby say: https://www.englandrugby.com/dxdam/9f/9fc5e605-d855-42c7-b24b-c74237df589e/new sports goggles and eyewear.pdf

So it comes down to which variation of rugby is being shown.
If you look at the attempted full double-ankle tackle that was evaded near the end of the advert, you would know it was not touch rugby.

***************************************************************************************************************************

Another TV advert shows what appears to be a wall-mounted clock, where a male figurine comes out and sings.. "What your wading for" but how many houses where such a clock is in the room has an amount of water that the residents would use to wade in? I cannot picture such a clock as that in a bathroom.

Last edited:

brad465

Established Member
Strictly speaking it's an online advert (unless it is on TV channels that I don't watch), but Totaljobs could well win the award for the most annoying/tedious advert this year, with their "Granny, I got the job!" advert that is a common feature of YouTube videos.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Revolut appears to be a company that glorifies in destruction to property infrastructure by people being a normal occurrence of life in its TV adverts. Does its claimed easy money management help its recipients to pay for the damages caused should any of them decide to indulge in the same type of property damage that is advertised in their TV adverts.

Last edited:

yorksrob

Veteran Member
The Subway advert advertising buffalo chicken makes me incandescant with blind rage, primarily because they've just discontinued the meatless meatballs.

Also everyone looks gormless on it.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Where do the WWF get their information about people from? I have seen two of their adverts in the last few days in which they claim that both elephants and rhinocerous "are my oldest friends"....:rolleyes:

Do they think I live in a safari park somewhere in Britain or have a second home in the wilds of Africa where I have no friends but the local wildlife?

Lost property

Might as well add, the many adverts in which the voiceover is nothing more than a high speed just about coherent gabble, inflection being non existent albeit this assumes the orator can actually spell inflection, let alone understand the meaning, in the first place. Applicable to both genders.

And those showing pristine homes, where everybody eats super healthy meals together with amazing size portions

route101

Established Member
Two adverts that annoy me currently. The cheesy like a Bosch adverts and the new mini advert, another cheesy one.=

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Starling Bank is now yet another company to show levitation of customers in their TV adverts. The one that I have seen showed a young woman in a queue in a banking hall suddenly levitate upwards, smashing through the glass cupola with seemingly no damage to her face or head then gliding around aimlessly at a high altitude. No mention made of the possible injury to the waiting customers in the bank from the shards of glass falling from the smashed cupola nor any comment made as to how the bank in question could recover the costs of the repairs required from the young woman.

AM9

Veteran Member
Starling Bank is now yet another company to show levitation of customers in their TV adverts. The one that I have seen showed a young woman in a queue in a banking hall suddenly levitate upwards, smashing through the glass cupola with seemingly no damage to her face or head then gliding around aimlessly at a high altitude. No mention made of the possible injury to the waiting customers in the bank from the shards of glass falling from the smashed cupola nor any comment made as to how the bank in question could recover the costs of the repairs required from the young woman.
It's all part of their generous deal that customers will get. Clearly the advertisment made a big impact on you, so it has earn't its way.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Any adverts that show people able to levitate. I can't remember the most recent company one, but it showed a girl in a queue suddenly levitating upwards, smashing her way through the ceiling point of a glass cupola and being totally unaffected by gravity.

Showers large shards of glass on the people below. Bound to have been injuries.

Didn't we already discuss this on here back in February?

Spaceship323

But he's not wearing spectacles, they're sports goggles, as worn by Edgar Davids (footballer) 20 odd years ago. They are commonly used by schoolchildren when playing sports ..my daughter plays hockey (in goal) for the school. She wouldn't see the ball if she didn't wear them!