• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Another day, another overhead line failure near Paddington

Status
Not open for further replies.

rob.rjt

The thread title says it all really, but, having had enough of this now, I am prompted to ask a few questions:
  1. Is it possible for the headspans to be replaced (effectively) like for like with the portal structures seen elsewhere on the GWML, to try and avoid problems on one line taking out all the other lines?
  2. What are passengers meant to do at stations between Paddington and Reading. TfL authorises travel on London Underground and London Buses, but for intermediate passengers up to about West Drayton, these services don't exist.
Customer advice:

Elizabeth line

You may use your ticket on London Underground and London Bus services via any reasonable route at no extra cost.

Great Western Railway

No trains are currently operating between London Paddington and Reading.

You may use your ticket on the following services at no extra cost:

• London Underground via any reasonable route
  • London Buses via any reasonable route
  • Southern via any reasonable route
  • Thameslink via any reasonable route
It seems that National Rail are advising ticket acceptance on GWR on useless routes, obviously it doesn't help the South Western Railway has engineering works at Virginia Water and Woking today.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

zwk500

Veteran Member
The thread title says it all really, but, having had enough of this now, I am prompted to ask a few questions:
  1. Is it possible for the headspans to be replaced (effectively) like for like with the portal structures seen elsewhere on the GWML, to try and avoid problems on one line taking out all the other lines.
In short, yes. However it does require a disruptive possession of potentially the full approach to Paddington to fit the gantry beams so is neither cheap nor easy to get a slot. However with the construction of Old Oak Common opportunities may arise.

zwk500

Veteran Member
Why aren't Chiltern offering acceptance between Marylebone and Oxford?
According to GWR website, they are: https://www.gwr.com/travel-information/travel-updates/live-network-updates
Customer Advice:
Due to a fault with the overhead wires near Ladbroke Grove, trains are currently unable to operate between London Paddington to Reading.
Customers requiring to travel from London Paddington to Oxford may use Chiltern Railway services from London Marylebone. Transfer between Paddington and Marylebone being available on London Underground services. GWR ticket holdes will be conveyed on both services without additional charge.
London Underground are conveying passengers via any reasonable route until further notice.
London Buses are conveying passengers via any reasonable route until further notice.

Class 317

Another day I don't head up to London.The economic and direct cost of continuous failures must be starting to add up!

Splitting the head spans so separate ones cover the fast and relief lines might be a cheaper compromise

zwk500

Veteran Member
I see. The OP did not include that in his quoting of ticket acceptance above, only Southern and TfL. Perhaps it has been added only recently. Thanks.
OP appears to have been quoting TfL advice, which may explain the lack of mention of any services beyond their area.
Another day I don't head up to London.The economic and direct cost of continuous failures must be starting to add up!

Splitting the head spans so separate ones cover the fast and relief lines might be a cheaper compromise
Do we know for sure that it's specifically headspans that are the problem, and a problem that might have been solved with gantries or mitigated with split headspans?

Also, splitting the headspans at Ladbroke Grove would require work to separate the tracks at most locations due to there being insufficient clearance between each track. A single portal gantry will be more cost effective, if you can get the access. I'm fairly sure OOC will need some all-line blockades at some point, which seems a very good time to come in and put in at least some gantries if they can.

rob.rjt

OP appears to have been quoting TfL advice, which may explain the lack of mention of any services beyond their area.

Do we know for sure that it's specifically headspans that are the problem, and a problem that might have been solved with gantries or mitigated with split headspans?
I was quoting from the National Rail website about ticket acceptance, which may have changed by now.

I am not sure if it is a headspan issue, but in this area it usually seems to be.

zwk500

Veteran Member
I was quoting from the National Rail website about ticket acceptance, which may have changed by now.
Always a possibility, of course.
I am not sure if it is a headspan issue, but in this area it usually seems to be.
I think in several recent incidents, the root cause has had nothing to do with headspans, although headspans have made recovery harder.

A down train has just departed Paddington, (Service to Hereford so bi-mode unit) according to SignalMaps.

slowroad

It is often stated that one of the benefits of electrification is better reliability. Are there any “real world” stats for the UK comparing across electrified and unelectrified lines? Or before-and-after electrification?

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Is it possible for the headspans to be replaced (effectively) like for like with the portal structures seen elsewhere on the GWML, to try and avoid problems on one line taking out all the other lines?

In short, yes. However it does require a disruptive possession of potentially the full approach to Paddington to fit the gantry beams so is neither cheap nor easy to get a slot. However with the construction of Old Oak Common opportunities may arise.

All the headspans have long since been replaced with portals up to past Ladbroke Grove. This incident is at a portal.

HS2 will be replacing all the headspans at OOC.

Established Member
As of 0924 it should have been normal working after repair was made.

Issue was on line 4, line 5+6 were open for traffic, but lines 1-3 were under possession.

midland1

Why do the class 800s not run out of Paddington on their diesel engines, it would keep things moving ?

Established Member
Why do the class 800s not run out of Paddington on their diesel engines, it would keep things moving ?
Because the defect was a piece of wire hanging down, even a train on diesel could have made contact with it.
The defect had been cut clear and the OHL is energised allowing trains to now run on lines 4-6.

father_jack

Bristol City are playing West Ham and the first three trains from Bristol are 107, 37 and 59 late (and the third listed should be in front of the second !!!) due to over-run and points failure Westbury and then late off Stoke Gifford and still have to reach Reading so the wires issue is yet to come !!! Just another banjaxed day.

zwk500

Veteran Member
Bristol City are playing West Ham and the first three trains from Bristol are 107, 37 and 59 late (and the third listed should be in front of the second !!!) due to over-run and points failure Westbury and then late off Stoke Gifford and still have to reach Reading so the wires issue is yet to come !!! Just another banjaxed day.
They've only just managed to get the B&H open as well, after Newbury was submerged for a couple of days.

IndianPacific

Aiui a project is underway to replace the headspans with portals.

Apologies if off-topic, but for anyone else not too familiar with this terminology or what that replacement process might Look like, I found this interesting article from a few years ago…

To help resolve these issues, engineering consultant Arup has successfully completed a ‘Headspan to Portal’ conversion project on the East Coast main line south of Peterborough. Working closely with Network Rail, Arup has provided a portal conversion design that could largely be installed during ‘rules of the route’ access.
Whilst the reasons for the original switch to headspans can be readily understood, when their low capital cost contributed to obtaining authorisation for important electrification schemes, it resulted in reliability that was less than that of the original portals. Now the design has gone back full circle, to the cost-effective conversion of those headspans back to portals, delivering the reliability that today’s busy railway needs.

Last edited by a moderator:

AHCT

1. Is it possible for the headspans to be replaced (effectively) like for like with the portal structures seen elsewhere on the GWML, to try and avoid problems on one line taking out all the other lines?
Stupid question - weren't they all modernised about 5 years ago?

Taunton

Established Member
For all that headspans get the attention, they seemed to work without issue when installed for the Heathrow Express. It's the transition between what they were built for, and the current 100% electric operation that piggybacked for free off this that seems now the issue.

zwk500

Veteran Member
For all that headspans get the attention, they seemed to work without issue when installed for the Heathrow Express. It's the transition between what they were built for, and the current 100% electric operation that piggybacked for free off this that seems now the issue.
This is a good point, but I will refer you to the earlier.comment that this happened at a portal gantry.

Kite159

Veteran Member
It was certainly a big chaotic at Reading around 09:00 this morning with few train movements. I suspect the Redhill/Gatwick trains were very busy when they departed (with passengers changing at Guildford for SWR). Didn't help that there was no SWR via Ascot for planned works and extra passengers heading into Reading from the Basingstoke direction due to the SWR mainline being closed between Basingstoke & Woking.

I dread to think what the first Paddington - Swansea was like, considering it looked to be a single 5 coach unit

NSE

Established Member
Not been a good weekend for GWR. Lucky I got my adventure to Carmarthen in yesterday. Got diverted via Bath Spa to Bristol Parkway (not complaining, got to do that Bristol curve both ways). Lots of delays on the journey but thought the staff were good at explaining what was happening. Set swap on the 13:26 from Carmarthen to Paddington at Swansea (I didn’t stay on past Llanelli as I was clearing intermediate stations) but the train manager was going along explaining the set was to be swapped and what to do etc.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
There is an existing thread that can be used to discuss GWML Infrastructure Issues between Paddington and Reading which can be found here:

Status
Not open for further replies.