• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Another example of bad society

Status
Not open for further replies.

pemma

Veteran Member
Alex is producing “Baby on Board” badges for pregnant women to wear while travelling on public transport. If you’d like one of her badges, please pop into her shop on Minshull Street in Knutsford

So pregnant Metrolink passengers should visit a shop in a town 10 miles south of the end of the Altrincham line with the visit to the shop requiring a short walk up a hill!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
In London, I find that a lot of people seem to go into a certain self-absorbed mode on public transport, probably because it's such a common activity that many do on their own.

Where has this thing about people being rude in London come from? The only people I find in London who are rude are those travelling at weekends and those who typically are not from London. In peak hours on the Underground generally people follow the rules much more and are far more courteous to other customers by moving down inside the train, standing aside to let others off first and by standing on the right hand side of the escalators. If someone has barged into me or stood on my shoes I always get an apology in the morning, but very rarely at the weekend.

pemma

Veteran Member
Where has this thing about people being rude in London come from?

I think it comes from the very high frequency of public transport, the long trains and the high number of passengers meaning London commuters are less likely to see someone they know and less likely to engage in conversation, so because more just sit or stand and mind their own business they are seen as less polite.

The only people I find in London who are rude are those travelling at weekends...In peak hours on the Underground generally people follow the rules much more and are far more courteous to other customers by moving down inside the train, standing aside to let others off first and by standing on the right hand side of the escalators.

Around the country there are more leisure passengers at weekends, with leisure passengers being the ones who tend to stand in doorways and not to move down the train, walk slowly in a group making it difficult for people in a hurry to get past or unexpectedly stop for no apparent reason and get in everyone's way.

34D

Established Member
:roll:
Are you prone to making stupid and worthless comments?

Maybe it was because she wasnt showing a little bit of her bra also?

Stupid AND worthless? That must be me, yes.

Let us not forget that the north of england (Lancs, Yorks and Tyne& Wear) was Nick Griffin's breeding ground.

Wigan,United Kingdon and Kingswood Nsw, Australia
I remember being on the Central line and a Gansta esque man was blasting music through his massive head phones and he was repeatly asked to turn his music down and he didnt and a guy got some secateurs out his bag and cut the thing so he couldnt listen to them anymore.... needless to say the gansta esque man got off at the next stop ashamed and embarrassed the reason i dont think this caused an issue was the gansta didnt know what else the man had in his holdall.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
I remember being on the Central line and a Gansta esque man was blasting music through his massive head phones and he was repeatly asked to turn his music down and he didnt and a guy got some secateurs out his bag and cut the thing so he couldnt listen to them anymore.... needless to say the gansta esque man got off at the next stop ashamed and embarrassed the reason i dont think this caused an issue was the gansta didnt know what else the man had in his holdall.

I don't think that's a "needless to say" - I'd have half expected him to attack the person who'd ruined his property. I'm not sure what a Gansta-esque man is though.

I once politely asked a group playing tunes through their radio on a peak FCC train if they could turn it down. They did, but when we got off the train, one of them threatened to push me down the stairs at Finsbury Park.

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
It was common practice for grandparents in Russia to stand and let their children sit rather than the opposite expected here.
In a multicultural society what 'rules' are you going to have with regard to such things when different cultures have different attitudes as to what they regard as correct etiquette for using public transport ?

bluenoxid

Established Member
Stupid AND worthless? That must be me, yes.

Let us not forget that the north of england (Lancs, Yorks and Tyne& Wear) was Nick Griffin's breeding ground.

He is from Barnet, moved to Suffolk and educated at Cambridge Uni. He is resident in Wales ;)

34D

Established Member
He is from Barnet, moved to Suffolk and educated at Cambridge Uni. He is resident in Wales ;)

What has that got to do with anything.

I'm referring to the fact that he used to give talks in 'working mens pubs' across the North of England. Nothing to do with his childhood :s

bluenoxid

Established Member
I'm referring to the fact that he used to give talks in 'working mens pubs' across the North of England.

Yes he did. I heard many a fraught conversation about meetings but when he is in the running as an MP in your constituency, you either tackle it head on or stick your head in the sand.

Last edited:

elagueesti

Where has this thing about people being rude in London come from? The only people I find in London who are rude are those travelling at weekends and those who typically are not from London. In peak hours on the Underground generally people follow the rules much more and are far more courteous to other customers by moving down inside the train, standing aside to let others off first and by standing on the right hand side of the escalators. If someone has barged into me or stood on my shoes I always get an apology in the morning, but very rarely at the weekend.

I rather agree. Peak time commuting, either on NR or LU services (I've done both for years) is unpleasant mainly for the over-crowding, not because of the actual passengers themselves, generally speaking.

GodAtum

On Moderation
It does amaze me how people change when commuting. For example my friends are nice and polite but when they commute they are as rude and selfish as everyone else!

6Gman

Established Member
What has that got to do with anything.

I'm referring to the fact that he used to give talks in 'working mens pubs' across the North of England. Nothing to do with his childhood :s

Griffin goes wherever he thinks he (or his party) might do well - regardless of whether it's North, South or Midlands.

Bit unfair to label the North as his 'breeding ground'.

Status
Not open for further replies.