• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Arriva North West and Wales

childwallblues

Established Member
Chester doesn't need the deckers. Most of the trips on the 10/10A can cope with pulsars. Southport 47 needs the higher capacity (Not sure about normally but definitely during the summer).
I was told also that these buses are to Sapphire specification as route 47 is in competition with Stagecoach X2 Preston-Liverpool which uses deckers with high class interiors

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

prod_pep

Established Member
I've had a few rides on Southport's newly-acquired Enviro400s and they're definitely a big step up from the standard-spec stuff they have replaced. They're not without rattles, but those are nothing compared with the shambolic ride quality the Stagecoach X2 Scanias offer. It's good to see they're tarting them up for their new home as there are a few internal 'battle scars' from their previous route. I'll be using the 47 to get to Southport once the old trains are fully withdrawn as these Enviros are much more comfortable.

The fact is the Enviro400s were wasted on Chester's 10/10A: never full even in peak times, and the largely downmarket areas served always seemed an odd choice for the Sapphire specification. It amazes me they were ever ordered, let alone lasting nine years there.

Statto

Established Member
I've had a few rides on Southport's newly-acquired Enviro400s and they're definitely a big step up from the standard-spec stuff they have replaced. They're not without rattles, but those are nothing compared with the shambolic ride quality the Stagecoach X2 Scanias offer. It's good to see they're tarting them up for their new home as there are a few internal 'battle scars' from their previous route. I'll be using the 47 to get to Southport once the old trains are fully withdrawn as these Enviros are much more comfortable.

The fact is the Enviro400s were wasted on Chester's 10/10A: never full even in peak times, and the largely downmarket areas served always seemed an odd choice for the Sapphire specification. It amazes me they were ever ordered, let alone lasting nine years there.

The only times the E400s on the 10, 10A were busy was college journey's, definitely an odd choice of route for such vehicles, they would have been better allocated to Rhyl for the Rhyl - Holywell - Chester route, or Rhyl - Denbigh - Wrexham route.

It was quite daft when you saw the older Gemini Coastliner branded buses with standard seating on the long 11 route (the 11 is one of those routes that change numbers at Holywell but buses operate through), but E400 Sapphire standard buses on the much shorter 10, 10A Chester - Connah's Quay / Flint routes.

markymark2000

On Moderation
10/10A was originally made Sapphire Spec as Townlynx started up their T1 service and so Arriva went all out doing the most weird things with the route. I dread to think how much money was wasted with the frequency enhancements, extensions to Chester Train Station (I am sure this used to cost 2 extra buses at the time) plus all of the expense of these vehicles.

I do think it's surprised everyone that these buses kept going in Chester depot. That said, it's a shame for them to be going.

they would have been better allocated to Rhyl for the Rhyl - Holywell - Chester route, or Rhyl - Denbigh - Wrexham route.
These routes have/had deckers anyway so it wouldn't have made much difference. Denbigh-Wrexham is a lost cause and loading there just about justify a solo, let alone a decker.

Rhyl - Chester was always really good with the Geminis. I find the E400s on this route to be sluggish. A good old heavyweight Volvo sees the hills, and powers up them as if it's flat ground.

Snex

The fact is the Enviro400s were wasted on Chester's 10/10A: never full even in peak times, and the largely downmarket areas served always seemed an odd choice for the Sapphire specification.

Capacity is obviously an important factor but not sure what difference an affluence of an area has for the specification of a vehicle mind.

Surely it's more about the length of the route and the average time someone travels on the vehicle which should be the factor.

If everyone is only on for 10 minutes then it would be a complete waste of time but if a lot are on for 30 minutes plus then it's where you want to higher spec vehicles. Those routes seem to be routes that would fit that bill.

prod_pep

Established Member
Arriva's preamble for Sapphire operation mentioned an aim to coax non-bus users into switching in areas of particularly high car ownership. I'm not sure most of the areas served fit that bill. An obvious drawback, as mentioned, of this are the 'battle scars' at the back upstairs on these buses which refurbishment is thankfully addressing.

Most journeys on the 10/10A are short in my experience; I've never seen anyone ride it end-to-end apart from myself whenever I've used it. The 10 isn't a particularly long route compared with others served by Arriva in the area.

I do agree the 11 would have been a much better fit, although the Geminis bought for that route ride better than the Enviro400s and are clearly faster. It is only the spec that could be improved.

Established Member
It's hardly a surprise to see those Enviro400s transferred out of Chester, in fact it's perplexing they were here for so long. There's simply no need for double deckers on the 10/10A or the vast majority of routes in and around the city. The Pulsars replacing them will provide the correct level of capacity, are of a similar age and a decent specification, so it's a good move for both depots concerned, in my view.

Statto

Established Member
It's hardly a surprise to see those Enviro400s transferred out of Chester, in fact it's perplexing they were here for so long. There's simply no need for double deckers on the 10/10A or the vast majority of routes in and around the city. The Pulsars replacing them will provide the correct level of capacity, are of a similar age and a decent specification, so it's a good move for both depots concerned, in my view.

The biggest head scratcher is they were ordered for Chester in the first place, the Sapphire standard buses are more suited to longer routes