• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Assessment Day Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

NewbieDoobie

From what I have been told by management and seen. Every stage has a clear defined pass mark. Once you score that or above you pass, be it mmi, dmi, opc. However, if you pass all stages, congratulations but all your scores from each stage are added together and then that's your final score, we don't see that or are told about it. But, the that score to then used to prioritise taking from the talent pool. When I went through training, all of us hadn't even been a in a talent pool, we all finished the dmi and a week later given a start date. We did meet people however, who were doing other roles around the railway and on team night out who had been in the same talent pool for years and still no start date, and newbies were still coming in over them. I would assume the reason is their overall score was low, but thats just gueswork. I think the whole process is unfair and if this is true which I'm confident it is, then they should just make the pass scores higher. But also, all those on my course used all the softwares and practiced like mad.
Oh, interesting. I had a start date 22 hours after being told I had been successful at all stages

Aspen90

If anyone wants any advice for an upcoming assesment day feel free to give me a message I passed the assessment day and MMI this week so it’s still fresh in my head exactly what has to be done!
It’s the GLOP test that worries me - how big is that chunk of text? Is it a sensible size to remember or is it designed to be so lengthy you can’t remember it!

NorthernTech

It’s the GLOP test that worries me - how big is that chunk of text? Is it a sensible size to remember or is it designed to be so lengthy you can’t remember it!
It’s pretty straight forward to be fair. Not loads to remember and multiple choice questions.

CardiffDan

On first glance you will think it's alot. However when you read through it you'll get a feel of what they are going to ask you.

Terry844

As a tip look for information within the text. You need to consider what the test is designed to test for, in this case it will be part of the trainability for rules and procedures.

LCC106

Established Member
There’s a search function at the top of this page and a real wealth of information on the subject. Have a good read and come back if there’s anything you‘re not sure of. Good luck!

golfsareus

Thanks I will have a good read now I just was not sure if it was out of date since a lot of the mmi information is from like 2015-18 not sure if the questions have changed since then.

LCC106

Established Member
With regard to the questions, as I understand it there are a number of them from which half a dozen are selected. Therefore we can’t give you a definitive on that. That said, some of us (me included) don’t think it’s appropriate to share them as part of the process is to see your genuine ability/aptitude and how you react to questioning on the day.

You will find a list if you search, but don’t make up any answers, just real life examples so you don’t tie yourself in knots.

golfsareus

Thanks, of course not the truth is always better, ive been told the best thing to do is just to match up your experiences with that of the required skills of a train driver, I just am not sure the length of each answer all my answers on practice do not even last 2 mins most just over a 1 min surly this is too short?

Carl98k

Thanks, of course not the truth is always better, ive been told the best thing to do is just to match up your experiences with that of the required skills of a train driver, I just am not sure the length of each answer all my answers on practice do not even last 2 mins most just over a 1 min surly this is too short?
Just Google STAR format for answering the questions. As long as you stick to that and you’ve got truthful examples to use then you’ll be fine.

golfsareus

Thanks for the advise I did try to use that format just think maybe my answers example answers are a bit short but suppose 2 mins is not to bad.

Terry844

Thanks for the advise I did try to use that format just think maybe my answers example answers are a bit short but suppose 2 mins is not to bad.
The person conducting the interview will probe and ask other questions during that time as well.

golfsareus

Of course thank you for your help very nervous for it been moved to the week 5th September now having failed the TEA-OCC and few years ago its my last chance so just praying i keep clam

May I ask if I can use the same job i.e worked as pts as aworker for the last few years can i use examples from that job for 3/4 of the questions or do not like this?

Last edited:

LCC106

Established Member
Definitely use the most relevant job experience examples! That would be a fine one! I passed 2nd time around so understand the pressure you feel.

golfsareus

Thank you have good examples for a lot of possible questions just struggling to think of a couple of emergency’s I don’t think I’ve dealt with any emergencies.

Status
Not open for further replies.