• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Assessments & Medicals discussion

Train_manager

I am a type 2 Diabetic and insulin dependant. I have been for 20+ years and my condition is completely managed and causes no issues. Other than this I am very fit, active and healthy with no other issues whatsoever.
I’m wondering if anyone can tell me if I am likely to pass medical and if this would be an issue? Guidelines are very dated and forums unclear as some say yes and others say automatic
Only a rail doctor could answer your question.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
I am a type 2 Diabetic and insulin dependant. I have been for 20+ years and my condition is completely managed and causes no issues. Other than this I am very fit, active and healthy with no other issues whatsoever.
I’m wondering if anyone can tell me if I am likely to pass medical and if this would be an issue? Guidelines are very dated and forums unclear as some say yes and others say automatic fail.

There are plenty of safety-critical railway staff who are diabetics. As with everything, as long as it is managed well and explained clearly at the medical, you should be OK.

Poppy1016

Hi all,

I’ve applied for trainee driver at Cambridge-does anyone have any information about what happens in the online assessment that GTR sends you immediately after you submit the application form?

I’ve only got 72 hours to do it before the link expires and I’m wondering what it involves.

Can’t seem to find anything on here about it.

Thanks in advance

st321

I would assume it's a situational judgement test, I've had one with avanti last year.

Chrysalis

I have a couple of questions about the ATAVT test that I'm hoping someone could help me with. Do you count pedestrian (the lights with the red/green men) lights as traffic lights? Should signs about parking times and fees be counted as road signs? Should signs and lights turned away from you be counted? Sorry if this has been asked before, I did try to look.

Petergzd

Hi everybody, I'd want to ask if there are any conductors here that work for TFW and if they can give me any advice before the SCAAT test. I'm rather nervous about it and would appreciate some advice and information if possible. Thank you very much.

HWI_2001

Hi everybody, I'd want to ask if there are any conductors here that work for TFW and if they can give me any advice before the SCAAT test. I'm rather nervous about it and would appreciate some advice and information if possible. Thank you very much.
I’m a TM at GWR but have done the same tests.

Just some general advice and it may sound a bit like common sense, but just try to be as relaxed as possible about it. Try to focus on accuracy as best you can. There’s some good resources online and makes use of these. Depending on how long you have before the test, try to practice every day and you’ll start to see your accuracy and speed will improve. Best of luck

Petergzd

I’m a TM at GWR but have done the same tests.

Just some general advice and it may sound a bit like common sense, but just try to be as relaxed as possible about it. Try to focus on accuracy as best you can. There’s some good resources online and makes use of these. Depending on how long you have before the test, try to practice every day and you’ll start to see your accuracy and speed will improve. Best of luck
Thank you

WReading

Morning all,

I’ve recently applied for a trainee driver position and have been invited to do an online assessment. Was wondering if anybody had any valuable information I should know regarding the online assessment please?
Just thought I’d ask before I click the link and enter the assessment completely blind.

Many thanks.

Marc-1

Hi ,I have a been offered a trainee driver role with southeastern and have my medical in a week or so . I already drive light rail for a living and wear varifocal glasses full time and have done for several years . My paperwork for the medical says I can only have bifocal glasses which I have now purchased and they are absolutely rubbish in comparison to the varifocals . I’m at a complete loss as to why this is and can’t find any reason anywhere online , even two separate opticians are unable to answer this question and think it must be a mistake. Could anyone shed some light on this please

Kentman213

Hello

I'm looking for advice on the Shunter Assessment, I failed my first attempt and I'm doing second and last attempt in April. The test I failed on was the 2nd hand co-ordination test, can someone explain to me how that test works? As I feel that I misunderstood it

Thank you

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Hello

I'm looking for advice on the Shunter Assessment, I failed my first attempt and I'm doing second and last attempt in April. The test I failed on was the 2nd hand co-ordination test, can someone explain to me how that test works? As I feel that I misunderstood it

Thank you

What do you feel you misunderstood?

Samzino

Established Member
Hello

Thank you
There isn't much to it other than you must go around the circuit with a good speed and accuracy. Ideally you want to avoid going out of bounds(audible alarm once you do as well as visually seeing it) but if you do go out then its also down to you not panicking and getting back on track.

Many posts on the test with some suggesting that in the practice attempt before you start, take your time to get a feel of the controls whilst going around the track before going to the end. Whilst no one knows exactly how much time should be spent on each loop or how many times you can go out of bounds the idea is that you do the best you can.

Hope it goes well for you.

Kentman213

What do you feel you misunderstood?

I'm not too sure honestly, I think I was trying to be as accurate as possible at the expense of speed

There isn't much to it other than you must go around the circuit with a good speed and accuracy. Ideally you want to avoid going out of bounds(audible alarm once you do as well as visually seeing it) but if you do go out then its also down to you not panicking and getting back on track.

Many posts on the test with some suggesting that in the practice attempt before you start, take your time to get a feel of the controls whilst going around the track before going to the end. Whilst no one knows exactly how much time should be spent on each loop or how many times you can go out of bounds the idea is that you do the best you can.

Hope it goes well for you.

I guess that makes sense, can't afford to fail this time.

Thank you both

Kayso

What are some of the questions you will be asked when you have a one on one video call with the manager
And also what form of eye sight test will be done since there are quite a lot of them

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
What are some of the questions you will be asked when you have a one on one video call with the manager
And also what form of eye sight test will be done since there are quite a lot of them

What role are you applying for?

Brad1997

Hi all, anyone else have problems trying to access the group bourdon tool? I try and download it but then nothing appears.

london96

Hi all, just recently applied for Trainee train driver role with GWR out of Paddington. I didn't finish the error identification test in time. Does this mean one of my two lives are now up?

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Hi all, just recently applied for Trainee train driver role with GWR out of Paddington. I didn't finish the error identification test in time. Does this mean one of my two lives are now up?

When you say "in time" do you mean you didn't complete all parts, or something else?

Many of these tests are looking for accuracy of a good amount of the test, not rushing through it all but making loads of mistakes.

Your "life" would be up if you overall fail the psychometric tests for the vacancy.

london96

When you say "in time" do you mean you didn't complete all parts, or something else?

Many of these tests are looking for accuracy of a good amount of the test, not rushing through it all but making loads of mistakes.

Your "life" would be up if you overall fail the psychometric tests for the vacancy.
Yeah sorry didn't complete all parts before the time ran out. Got a message at the end saying "sorry you have run out of time" does this mean I have not made it through the next stage?

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Yeah sorry didn't complete all parts before the time ran out. Got a message at the end saying "sorry you have run out of time" does this mean I have not made it through the next stage?

Not necessarily. It just means the test is over. As I said, in many of these tests it is partly pyschological to see if you panic and try to rush through or choose to be methodical and finish what is possible.

Chrysalis

I ran out of time too. I don't think it's possible to finish them in time.

london96

Not necessarily. It just means the test is over. As I said, in many of these tests it is partly pyschological to see if you panic and try to rush through or choose to be methodical and finish what is possible.

I ran out of time too. I don't think it's possible to finish them in time.
Ok so I shouldn't to concerned that I haven't received any other email yet good or bad? sorry for all the questions.

Fennel

What to expect next, i know it says assessment centre, is it face to face or online,what happens in that stage. Thank you please see attached.

Attachments

• IMG_1054.jpeg
    IMG_1054.jpeg
    205.8 KB · Views: 47