• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Assessments & Medicals discussion

rick.jacks2@gm

Hi I'm new here. I recently took the psychometric tests for southeastern. I passed all core tests, but failed the additional VSE test. Meaning I cannot apply for them for at least 6 months. I have now applied for Avanti west coast. I have just completed the first set of assessments.
However having already passed the core tests, shouldn't I be fast tracked to the next stage?
Also there was nowhere in the application process to state whether I have passed the tests. Only whether I have failed them in the last 6 months. Just wondering whether to contact them and ask the question.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dan5324

On Moderation
Hold your horses. If you’re referring to the OPC situational tests then those must still be completed and passed to Standard, regardless of psychometric results.

SuperS16v

By ‘core’ tests do you mean the OPC psychometric tests? If so Avanti use enhanced standard of testing. Even though you passed the tests with southeastern it doesn’t mean you have reached Avanti's standard. You may have to resist all, some or non of the tests.

Last edited:

SuperS16v

I'm wondering if anyone can help me with a question I would appreciate it alot. So I sat a assessment for a trainee train driver position on the 1/09/22 and recieved my results on the 7/09/22. Although I passed at national standard unfortunately I failed the enchanced standard. Officially now would I be able to re apply for these roles again as 6 months has passed, also is there anyway I could contact somebody to officially find out if that is the case

Yes, I believe you can now reapply again now 6 months has passed.

As you passed to national standard you could have still applied to TOCS that use national standard straight away without waiting 6 months.

Jquarterz

Yes, I believe you can now reapply again now 6 months has passed.

As you passed to national standard you could have still applied to TOCS that use national standard straight away without waiting 6 months.
Okay cheers for that. How would I know what TOCS use enhanced or national standard?

rtha6551

Hi all :)

I’ve recently been given a start date by a large company as a loco technician, having had an interview but as yet no medical.

My offer letter advised the offer was subject to a satisfactory medical and after contacting them regarding this I was told that it would be done AFTER I had commenced my employment with them.

I am a young, healthy man with no immediate causes for concern or why I wouldn’t pass said medical (I’ve come from working on PSVs for 5 years), however I’m curious as to what would happen should there be an issue?

Thank you

Samzino

Depends on the issue itself, tbh if its something that would inhibit your ability to meet critical safety standards then it would be flagged and depending on the severity you will be told and the necessary actions conducted. You should be in most cases fine, Vision, blood pressure and ECG are the usual areas of possible concerns.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Hi all :)

I’ve recently been given a start date by a large company as a loco technician, having had an interview but as yet no medical.

My offer letter advised the offer was subject to a satisfactory medical and after contacting them regarding this I was told that it would be done AFTER I had commenced my employment with them.

I am a young, healthy man with no immediate causes for concern or why I wouldn’t pass said medical (I’ve come from working on PSVs for 5 years), however I’m curious as to what would happen should there be an issue?

Thank you

Completely normal practice which does cause some people concern. However 99% of people will experience no issues, but ultimately if you look at your contract it is a conditional offer on a medical. Obviously for a very small % to have jumped through the entire application process and then fail a medical it must be crushing, but that is the way the industry has chosen to do it for many years.

You know in your own mind whether you'd pass and I imagine you'd have no issues from what you've said. If there was an issue that was substantial enough for you to fail with no exceptional circumstances discussed with your employer, the offer would be withdrawn.

ca84

Morning all,

I’m looking for some guidance if possible please regarding the six month exclusion rule if you fail any of the OPC tests.

I’ve live applications with CrossCountry and Avanti. I’ve undertaken an interview with a driver manager at CrossCountry and am currently waiting to see if I’ve been successful and will be attending the OPC to sit their tests at their centre.

In the meantime, I’ve been emailed tests from OPC for my Avanti application - these are the Visual Search Exercise (VSE) and M7 Situational Judgement Test (M7).

Im reluctant to do anything that is going to jeopardise my CrossCountry application at present.

Does anyone know if I were to sit and fail the two tests for Avanti, would that mean I couldn’t undertake any tests for CrossCountry within six months? Also, if I simply chose not to sit those tests with Avanti, does that automatically count as a fail or do they have to be actually attempted to count as a fail?

I’ve done some research but can’t seem to find a firm answer.

TheGoldfish

If you fail a test for one toc and it’s a requirement for the other ..it will effectively kill off both applications… but not all tocs require VSE so if you failed that for avanti but it’s not a requirement for cross country then the cross country application won’t be affected … you’ll need to check what each toc requires.

ca84

Thanks for the reply. Do you know if I chose not to do the Avanti tests, would that class as a fail or would I have to actually attempt it and fail the pass mark?

Class2ldn

It won't be a fail if you don't attempt it but the 2 lives rules is generally for the actual testing at the test centre, not the tests you do at home so I doubt it will be affected anyway.

TheGoldfish

Thanks for the reply. Do you know if I chose not to do the Avanti tests, would that class as a fail or would I have to actually attempt it and fail the pass mark?
very much Doubt that just not taking it would be a fail…

I was part way through an application with Arriva when I took the VSE for freightliner and failed it. I thought it wouldn’t count as the VSE was done at home .. not a test centre … but Arriva said it still counted and terminated my application.

n@te27

Hi, it states in the email that you received from the opc that if you are unable to complete the tests for whatever reason then it will still be classed as a fail.

ca84

Thanks both for the messages, it’s much appreciated.

I’ve emailed OPC and just had it confirmed that by not attempting them, it wouldn’t count towards my two attempts for Avanti so I can’t see why CrossCountry application would be affected if I chose this route, which I think is the best way forward at the moment.

Thanks again for the input

Jonsutt

It won't be a fail if you don't attempt it but the 2 lives rules is generally for the actual testing at the test centre, not the tests you do at home so I doubt it will be affected anyway.
It is part of 2 lives but separate to the 2 lives on assessment day/s.
The online tests are only for those tocs/focs which require them and are generally before anys assessment days and dmi's

Scotrail84

Established Member
Hi, has anyone done a verbal test recently at the ScotRail assessment centre? What does it involve? I don't think I've heard of a verbal test before.

Is the safety and concentration test the shapes or dots, and is the customer service scenario test difficult at all?

Thank you in advance.

kajojek3232

Just a quick question, how do OPC treat it if you can’t attend a stage 1 assessment on the date they send you? Let’s say it’s on a day I cannot possibly get off work and it has to be one other day that week or the next week?

Do they reschedule it happily or can that put me out of the running?

baz962

Established Member
Just a quick question, how do OPC treat it if you can’t attend a stage 1 assessment on the date they send you? Let’s say it’s on a day I cannot possibly get off work and it has to be one other day that week or the next week?

Possibly depends on the TOC that they are testing you for. My best friend had to reschedule a day and is now a driver.

MT18

Hi there, I couldn’t make the stage 1 date the OPC gave me in my Freightliner application as I was abroad. I replied as soon as I received the email and informed them. They had no further dates scheduled so unfortunately I missed out.

Stigy

Established Member
I think they’re generally okay with it once, but May stipulate that there’s no guaranty of another available date. As has been said, it probably also depends on the TOC/FOC.

AG1994

From my experience it was always a “ok, that’s a shame, goodbye forever” as there was zero flexibility from the TOCs on it.

The irony was that they want people from shift working, safety critical backgrounds but all I tried essentially told me “please attend this assessment centre at 9am in 7 days time” which for many in these types of role is impossible.

I eventually got lucky and got a date that matched up with a day off and now I’m in.

So if I were you I’d be doing anything possible to get to that assessment, I hear very few stories of flexibility but many stories of zero flexibility.

It’s annoying knowing that if I’d managed to get to the original assessments I’d potentially have been a driver 9 years before I eventually became one.

Sorcerer

Hearing these stories of little to zero flexibility feels vindicating for me because getting to Watford back in January was tricky to organise, yet at no point did I think of phoning up to reschedule because I had a feeling that it wasn't going to be possible. The OPC even admits in emails that it may not be possible to reschedule cause of assessment allocations, so I definitely wouldn't bank on it.

Aviator88

I suspect it depends on the size of the recruitment drive - there were more than a couple of posts in the Avanti 2022 thread from people who'd successfully switched assessment centre days.

AG1994

I suspect it depends on the size of the recruitment drive - there were more than a couple of posts in the Avanti 2022 thread from people who'd successfully switched assessment centre days.
I think the difference is on whether or not the company is actually recruiting or just building a database of candidates. Avanti always seem to have ads open with seemingly hundreds sitting in talent pools, so I guess the flexibility can be much better as it’s not for a set start date.

There have been recent hiring sprees where it’s almost first come first serve (if you’re good enough too, of course) such as LNER over the last 18 months, the psychometric assessments dates are literally 4 weeks ahead of course start dates which is mental. If you couldn’t make that set assessment date you were out of the running and someone else was in, and based on the most recent stats rumoured, 30% of candidates (very good odds I assume compared to many, thanks to sitting various assessments and the DMI first to weed out potentially weak candidates) that went to assessments got put on courses. I’m aware of one other TOC and one FOC doing it like this.